Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

"I imagine a powerful man such as yourself would make a good number of enemies on his way to the top, would he not?" Ginzo speculates idly. "I suppose the archer who indirectly blessed you with such a wonderful spouse did not fare as well as you did?" he adds conversationally. Ginzo was not an expert at this sort of subtle interrogation by any means, but even he can tell that the corpulent Roku loves to talk about himself. If Ginzo and his colleagues could get him to keep at it, he may reveal more than he might otherwise intend, particularly about any enemies he had made within his own Clan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Head cold loving with planned updates.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Well, since we ended up winning the battle in the end, I can't imagine they did very well, but you are quite right to observe that a man makes many enemies in life. A wise man chooses his enemies carefully, however..."

unzealous, epicurius, neongrey, and ettin: Are you guys lost interest?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Soshi Masami

"Indeed, indeed," muses Masami, then she leans in conspiratorially. "Why, on that note, and on the note of kabuki, have you heard of this dreadful play that's on about town lately?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"I have. I have heard that it is a clumsy attempt to rout some sort of assassins. Why do you ask?"

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"We're simply curious, there was a bit of a disturbance last night at the performance. Were you in attendance? It was a bit confusing and chaotic."
She's going to attempt to see if he's lying about how much he knows about the play.

quote:

Morphball unzealous: 22 = 5k3(7,1,9,3,6)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"I was not. You'll find that I was in fact elsewhere--attending the opening of another play entirely, as it happens, in the company of my wife. At the Crimson Flower theatre, quite across town."

No indication that he's lying, though he hasn't said much about how much he knows. he could be being evasive!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami sighs enviously. "Well, I wish I had been there instead of where I was, I must say." She shakes her head a little. "Really, it was a dreadful performance-- never mind the disturbance at that particular showing. Really, using the arts to push such blatant political agendas... What's this about assassins, though? Is it the disturbance you're referring to, or something else?"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

As unschooled as he is in the methods of gaining information without giving any away in turn, Ginzo decides that it is best for him to stay occupied examining and re-examining the small arsenal that the Scorpion has displayed.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Oh come now, you saw the play yourself, you said. You really don't see it for what it is? Someone is attempting to flush out assassins using it. I certainly wouldn't want to be the ones being portrayed in that light, and whoever is behind the play hopes to get them angry enough to do something foolish."

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"Oh really? I must say I am not one for such subtlety but you seem to know a good deal about the goings on around here. Could you tell us more?"
Trying to figure out if he has any helpful information as to who is involved in this whole fiasco, aside from us obviously.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Splitting up was a bad idea, went with you after all for simplicity's sake! :toot:

Natsumi finally speaks up. She feels interrogation is best suited to the others, but she can at least try to make herself useful by poking at side-issues in case one of them is relevant.

"And what's the Crimson Flower like? Worth a visit? Do they focus on kabuki?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
seriously posting an update when not on phone kb tonight

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Oh, it makes sense," notes Masami. "But I've not been here long enough to know who around here would be worth assassinating, as it were, so I suppose that didn't occur. It's a dreadfully specific target to incite, too-- how long has this play been running for?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"A few days, it has been running. Of course the Crimson Flower focuses on kabuki. I would love to discuss things further, but--unless you have particular questions, specific questions...I am a busy man and I have other appointments to see to."

You can tell a dismissal when you hear one.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Bowing, Ginzo readies to depart. "We are most grateful for the assistance you have offered to us, despite your other responsibilities. May you continue to choose your enemies more wisely than they have chosen their own."

I believe there was one more potential bad guy for us to seek out. Let's have at him!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The final suspect is in fact a lady, Shosuro Nana. She is a tall, bony, slightly awkward and surprisingly young woman. Her servants see you inside quickly, not keeping you waiting at all.

"I knew you'd come see me next," Nana says, voice glum. She is wearing a simple mask, more out of adherence to tradition than to conceal any of her features. Much like the rest of her, her face is just slightly awkward, and her cheeks are marked by freckles, enhancing her youthfulness.

"My agents told me you'd be coming. Are you...are you here to kill me?" She seems simultaneously terrified and resigned...and oddly, perhaps just a little excited by the idea.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Otomo Hayuma

"Kill you, my lady? Far from it. We wish merely to seek your assistance, if you would be good enough to give it.", Hayuma says in an attempt to reassure her

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

Masami raises her eyebrows just so. "I don't believe we'd planned on it, but if you're expecting it so, I should like to hear why we would wish to." She's already half-convinced Roku is the man, but perhaps posing this question to this lady will answer the question that Roku refused to acknowledge. She did so want to know, after all.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"Or were you expecting someone else? If this place is under attack..."

Natsumi looks around. Just in case.

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"Wait, we're under attack? I thought we were here to investigate!?"
Matsu Mayumi quickly looks around, in case she missed something obvious.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nana sighs, slouching onto a cushioned seat. "If you change your minds about killing me, make sure it is a beautiful death," she says. "Did you really come away from meeting with those others with no idea what is going on? Even having seen the play? Seriously, sometimes I think that my clanmates enjoy keeping secrets just to have them." She sighs again.

"The orders you were given were worded vaguely, correct? You were to put an end to the culprit of some dastardly treason? And yet, the master of the greatest spy network in Rokugan didn't name his target. Why is that?"

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"I assume because this was enough of a threat that we had to act on minimal information and some...collateral damage, was acceptable"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

Ginzo furrows his brows before replying skeptically, "You knew we were coming, and you knew of our orders, but we do not yet know of your connection to this matter. Unless you are here and now admitting to engaging in treasonous actions against the Emperor...?"

Ginzo did not really think it would be that easy. Even if she admitted her role in the production of the play, it would likely mean only that she was protecting someone with even greater power and influence. It would not be the first time for the Scorpion -- or any Clan for that matter -- where an underling took the blame for a superior's guilt.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"I assure you I am loyal...but is the man you work for? Ahh, have you truly never wondered why you were sent to kill an enemy of his ally? Loyalty is important, but to whose tune are you dancing?"

Also have 10 XP, merry christmas

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oh, I was the last post here.

Guys?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"The Emperor, as is our duty," Natsumi answers automatically, with just a hint of uncertainty in her voice.

She folds her arms. "What is your point? Are you offering information?"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Always," Masami says with a shrug. "But so too am I wary of people who make a show of knowing things." After all, that was her own game, or at least a part of it. "So you believe you are being set up as a scapegoat here, then?

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"Nothing can ever be simple in this job, can it?"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Hayuma

"Things are usually simple. They're just not always easy.", Hayuma mutters. Then, crossing over to Masami, he speaks in a low voice to her, "If she's telling the truth, does it matter? He is our superior, after all. It's his right to order us, unless it's to commit treason, which this isn't."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi leans in to speak quietly with the others.

"We were told to silence the playwright. Is it her?"

(She isn't sure, but she assumes someone else would!)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Me?" Nana stretches out, lounging comfortably. "I am not being made a scapegoat. I will freely admit that my own network of informants brought me the information about what you did at Kyuden Hida. I did nothing more than pass it on to interested parties. Like you, I'm only doing a job...but I'm at least honest about who benefits from what I do."

She leans forward, eyes suddenly eager. "Do you want to know? Would you like me to tell you who benefits?"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

"...Sure?"

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!
Matsu Mayumi

"This isn't a koan of some sort is it? One of those questions that doesn't have a right answer and is meant only for introspection."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"No, I'm going to actually tell you the truth." Nana smiles. "Because it benefits me for you to know! I provided the details of your visit to Kyuden Hida to two people in this city, people who have a very good reason to be concerned about the way that you're making the enemies of Bayushi Hirosato suffer or disappear...but you already know who those are. You've been to visit them already!"

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Utaku Natsumi

Natsumi raises an eyebrow slightly.

"I see... And why would they be concerned?"

I'm gonna try and suss out Nana's social rank so I know who to TRUST:
<Morphball> Ettin: 15 = 3k2(6,9,5)

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nana is a fairly well placed young woman...but unfortunately, all three of the individuals you've spoken to are about even when it comes to their social status.

"Why, they're enemies of Bayushi Hirosato, of course! I am too, but I chose to deal with that a different way entirely." Nana leans back, gazing up at the ceiling. "Let me guess...your orders when you came here were to dispose of whoever wrote that nasty play and silence them, right? But really, Hirosato-san is the head of a major intelligence organization within the Empire -- how could he not know when he sent you who had funded it?" Nana giggles. "Maybe he just wants to have you kill one of us, and doesn't much care which one. Or all of us! Or, maybe..." She leans forward again, suddenly completely serious.

"Maybe he's testing all of you, as well."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Soshi Masami

"Of course he is," says Masami with a shrug. "Especially after Kyuden Hida. That is the least relevant thing of all at hand." And all told, Masami couldn't be bothered in the slightest with who was enemies of Bayushi Hirosato. A man like him would collect enemies like jewels. A personal enemy was different indeed from treasonous enemies.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Kaiu Ginzo

By the Fortunes, the Scorpion could be so tiresome sometimes, Ginzo thinks to himself. "I assume you have some sort of goal you are aiming towards -- some sort of change of heart you expect of us, perhaps? If I understand you correctly, you are asking us to believe that Hirosato-san is using us to fulfill all manner of personal vendettas rather than to engage in the work of keeping the Empire safe? That is, you are asking us to abnegate the word of our superior in favor of someone who just might be attempting to save her own skin, or at least the skin of one more important than herself?

"If you were in our position, would you truly accede to such a foolish request?"

Trying to figure out if she's hiding something. Investigation/Awa + Clear Thinker is, I think, 7k3.
What the hell, I'll do the same with regard to Hirosato...is there anything in his commands or elsewhere in his correspondence to us that would give the impression that he's not really being straight with us? Since this is not really a direct interaction, I assume it's something like Investigation/Int instead of Investigation/Awa? I'm actually better at that (8k4), though I surmise the TN will be a lot tougher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Holy poo poo TBN, 27 on the first, 39 on the second. You got it.

Nana is almost certainly not telling you everything, but she's pretty openly on the up and up with what she has told you so far. Hirosato, on the other hand, is pretty shady now that you examine your interactions with him - it's very possible that he's abusing his power.

"If I was in your position," Nana yawns, "I would be looking for a way out before he decides you've exhausted your usefulness. A beautiful death, before he arranges something...ugly."

• Locked thread