Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Irish Joe posted:

Senator Bracken, you're under arrest for killing my mommy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Renewed for Season 7! :dance:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

The "hidden plot device which was there the whole time to solve the murder" is a pretty lame plot hook. They did something similar with Monk's finale. It's bad writing. Would have worked better if there was some hint of that particular evidence previously.

Anything to end that arc imo.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

Anything to end that arc imo.

The thing that made even less sense to me was if the recording alone was enough to nail Bracken, why even keep it as insurance? We know Beckett's mom had it, so why the hell didn't she just use it to take down Bracken instead of giving cryptic messages about it to Kate and then getting killed.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Shakugan posted:

The thing that made even less sense to me was if the recording alone was enough to nail Bracken, why even keep it as insurance? We know Beckett's mom had it, so why the hell didn't she just use it to take down Bracken instead of giving cryptic messages about it to Kate and then getting killed.

Couple other things too:
Why would Montgomery feed her clues to help find it when it implicates him?
Unless I missed something, how does finding the tape clear her up of the murder of which she was accused?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
How can she arrest him for murdering her mother? There is no way that case would stick, since the recording is obviously now about her.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

How can she arrest him for murdering her mother? There is no way that case would stick, since the recording is obviously now about her.

I saw that as a more personal thing - like, she's not LITERALLY arresting him on the charge of murdering her mother, but personally that's what a lot of it was about.

Although, I may be wrong, since in the tape Bracken mentions plans to murder Joanna Beckett, which would at the very least be compelling circumstantial evidence.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think he mentions that he has had Joanna killed on the tape.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you're talking Becketts mothers murder it has been a good 5 or 6 seasons that they've spent on it.

Well I mean "so abruptly" not "so fast." It's been going on for a long, long time.

But I would have expected the end of it to be like a 2-parter or something, or at least have a few buildup episodes.

ED: Also I still think there's a chance the plot isn't over and the season finale will bring that up, which is why I think this was handled like this possibly. Brackett was a corrupt politician that started with corruption, sure, but does he really come off as the kind of guy who could hire legions of trained special ops forces and super assassins? I bet you dollars to donuts we find out he was a front piece for an Illuminati kinda thing, in particular with the show continuing for at least another full season.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 10, 2014

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Red Oktober posted:

I think he mentions that he has had Joanna killed on the tape.

That timeline doesn't make any sense, given that Joanna's notes say that she (1) already has the tape and (2) put it in the elephant heirloom thingy.

Unless she was in league with the time traveler at the start of the season all along!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

An excellent point. I feel I have misinterpreted ever so slightly.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
When did Castle start writing Derrick Storm books again?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Scorchy posted:

When did Castle start writing Derrick Storm books again?

He started writing them when he was still dating Alyssa Milano so probably the early/mid-90s given the age of Alexis.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah I meant he killed off the character in the pilot and started writing Nikki Heat books. In the latest episode he was on a book tour promoting another Derrick Storm novel, I missed something.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I think they brought the character back some time during season 4-ish, because they did a graphic novel and the Jennifer Beals CIA lady made reference to it. I haven't read any of the books yet, just the Nikki Heat ones (which are turning into real books - Frozen Heat was quite good, for what it is).

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
The episodes touching on this plotline have been so spaced out that I haven't the foggiest about who that old guy was anymore, and how he connects to the whole story.

Also, "we only have a minute or two before they arrest us, so let's sit around and read this diary instead of just taking the stuff and running away".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bankok posted:

Couple other things too:
Why would Montgomery feed her clues to help find it when it implicates him?

He wasn't trying to tell her, he was trying to make sure she didn't know.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah I meant he killed off the character in the pilot and started writing Nikki Heat books. In the latest episode he was on a book tour promoting another Derrick Storm novel, I missed something.

It's the graphic novels still, I think.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Actual Derrick Storm's death was somehow faked by the CIA. He's back with a new book series.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Welp I imagine if Castle hadn't been renewed they simply would have cut the Castle being abducted plotline and simply ended the series on the wedding. That's one hell of a cliff hanger though, thoroughly pumped for Season 7

A good episode.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Fillion just tweeted it was the last Castle, though. Are we sure it's renewed?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Of course this guy is a huge rear end in a top hat.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
On one hand, this is a great plot for a Castle episode. On the other hand, the solution is incredibly obvious and it kills me that nobody's mentioned it: just have the wedding ceremony and then wait to file the actual legal marriage paperwork until the divorce matter is settled.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

On one hand, this is a great plot for a Castle episode. On the other hand, the solution is incredibly obvious and it kills me that nobody's mentioned it: just have the wedding ceremony and then wait to file the actual legal marriage paperwork until the divorce matter is settled.

That would've been the easiest course of action.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

eriktown posted:

Fillion just tweeted it was the last Castle, though. Are we sure it's renewed?

They just said new episodes this Fall so there ya go.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well that certainly was a thing :stare:

Couple of things really irked me... As mentioned, why not go ahead with the ceremony and take care of the legal thing after the fact? Hell, the bikers and mobster would have taken care of it for them. Second, why was Castles car still burning. If rescue service are on the scene, and had time to call Beckett AND she had time to drive to the wreck, surely they could have put the car out. Yeah yeah plot mechanic, but come on.

But it leads to in interesting season 7. Who capture Castle? Was it someone with tied to the hitman? Someone from his dad's past? The whole Bracken thing that wrapped up a little too neatly?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can't believe they loving Downton Abbey'd this poo poo.

We would have gotten a nice, normal wedding if they'd been cancelled, you know. Just sayin'.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Ugh. I called that ending halfway through. The season opener will have his dad faking his death for whatever reason, and it'll be discovered that Bracken was simply a puppet of some larger threat which will be, at least partially within the NYPD.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

surf rock posted:

You can't do that in TV Land, it illegal to even hold a ceremony if you have a long lost spouse who you married while drunk.

Also 3xk did it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Castle's dad just needed to delay the ceremony long enough to throw him a really bitching bachelor party.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I liked the episode, except for the ending. It's kinda ridiculous. They spent the whole season buildig up the the wedding, planning, preparing, and they don't even have the freaking ceremony? That means they'll have to go through this whole runaround next year!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha, a private island in the Maldives. I actually went to one of those on my honeymoon. Broke my tailbone slipping off the edge of a dock that was covered in algae and didn't have friction strips. You loving try sitting on that for 32 hours on the flight home.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I liked the episode, except for the ending. It's kinda ridiculous. They spent the whole season buildig up the the wedding, planning, preparing, and they don't even have the freaking ceremony? That means they'll have to go through this whole runaround next year!

Welcome to Television. I'm glad you could join us.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Agent Lattimer's a bit of a dick.

Curious to see how the next season is going to open. Did the guys who took Castle chuck a body in that car to throw Beckett and co. off the trail for a bit?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

My money's on 3XK setting the roof, the dress and Castle's car on fire to prove to them they're playing with fire by getting married. :colbert:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
How has being married never come up in all those years? In the very least they'd have done a thorough background check when inviting Beckett to go and work in Washington DC, and I can't imagine no-one ever sat her down and asked her to explain why she was married to this shady character. I couldn't suspend my disbelief over that at all, and it ruined the episode for me before I'd even gotten to the irritatingly uninspired ending. I'm not having a lot of confidence in the writers for next season, if this is anything to go by.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jolan posted:

In the very least they'd have done a thorough background check when inviting Beckett to go and work in Washington DC, and I can't imagine no-one ever sat her down and asked her to explain why she was married to this shady character.

That's not that ridiculous, although it was still a silly plot device.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/us/after-forming-deep-roots-in-us-man-discovers-he-isnt-a-citizen.html

quote:

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — After living nearly a half century in the United States — marrying and raising a family here, paying taxes and working for decades for the federal government — Mario Hernandez made a discovery recently that rattled him to his core: He is not an American citizen. In fact, he is not even a United States resident.

Nobody had ever told him. Not his mother or his grandparents. Not the United States Army, where he served for three years in the 1970s. Not the election supervisors in four states who tallied his votes in every major election since Jimmy Carter won the White House. Not the two state agencies where he was employed, one in Washington State and the other in Florida. And not the two federal agencies, including the Justice Department, where he spent most of his career as a prison supervisor handling notorious inmates and undergoing thorough background checks every five years. Citizenship is a requirement for the job.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jolan posted:

How has being married never come up in all those years? In the very least they'd have done a thorough background check when inviting Beckett to go and work in Washington DC, and I can't imagine no-one ever sat her down and asked her to explain why she was married to this shady character. I couldn't suspend my disbelief over that at all, and it ruined the episode for me before I'd even gotten to the irritatingly uninspired ending. I'm not having a lot of confidence in the writers for next season, if this is anything to go by.

Time Travel.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ignis posted:

My money's on 3XK setting the roof, the dress and Castle's car on fire to prove to them they're playing with fire by getting married. :colbert:

Yeah, I think it's probably 3XK, too. loving up their wedding just seems like something he'd do.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In a shocking development Castle actually dies in the burning car. An increasingly unhinged and violent Beckett leaves the Force to spend next season on the hunt for his murderers. Nathan Fillion still appears as Castle's ghost/hallucination, providing cryptic insights and comic relief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

^^^^^
That's what I get for not checking if there are any new posts...

It turns out Castle is dead and future seasons are something of a gritty reboot featuring Beckett, Alexis, and Martha.

• Locked thread