Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

okay but this isnt an argument against existing things that allow movement of labor

sure it is, why defend loving around with all this bullshit paperwork if you're actually sincere on any level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Silicon Valley is filled with evil assholes and rapist techbros, so...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Silicon Valley is filled with evil assholes and rapist techbros, so...

well yeah, unwantedly touching bob and vegene is illegal

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
He'll yeah, the threads back!

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

"They took our jerbs."
-GBS

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

"They took our jerbs."
-GBS

Lol
https://nypost.com/2018/01/18/someone-is-attacking-google-and-apples-shuttle-buses/

quote:

Charter buses shuttling Google and Apple employees to and from work on a local highway have had windows shattered in the last week after they were hit with an unknown projectile.
Cops investigating the matter wouldn’t comment on whether rocks, pellets or another object caused the damage.
Nobody was injured in any of the incidents, authorities said.
In five separate incidents, the unmarked buses — four carrying Apple employees and one Google shuttle — were traveling on I-280 when something hit and shattered a side window, cops said.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
as it turns out, the apple shuttles were targeted by google, and the google shuttle was targeted by apple. the megacorp wars have begun...

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It was one of the trump lovers from here trying to liberate them from indentured servitude

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Run Santosh! You're free, you're free!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

The White Dragon posted:

as it turns out, the apple shuttles were targeted by google, and the google shuttle was targeted by apple. the megacorp wars have begun...

By 2025, all devices will run on tacoBellOS.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so what are the programming jobs these indian workers are taking? I don't exactly believe that they're capable in anything more than visual basic as non-english learners

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
so instead of having these workers come here, live here, pay for rent and food and put money in to the local economy, we ban hb 1 visas and instead all this visual basic work gets shipped abroad where the local economy receives none of the benefit?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

so instead of having these workers come here, live here, pay for rent and food and put money in to the local economy, we ban hb 1 visas and instead all this visual basic work gets shipped abroad where the local economy receives none of the benefit?

Or you hire other people in the US and funnel slightly less money to the board. Anyways, ideally the H1B Visas will still be issued, they just won't be utterly dominated by tech workers due to an inherent advantage over every other occupation built into the system allowing a couple companies to flood it with fast tracked applications.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 20, 2018

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Warbadger posted:

Or you hire other people in the US and funnel slightly less money to the board. Anyways, ideally the H1B Visas will still be issued, they just won't be utterly dominated by tech workers due to an inherent advantage over every other occupation built into the system allowing a couple companies to flood it with fast tracked applications.

you seriously expect me to pay $100k for visual basic work?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Magius1337est posted:

you seriously expect me to pay $100k for visual basic work?

If it's not making you a profit, then it seems your business model is unsustainable

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

If it's not making you a profit, then it seems your business model is unsustainable

Why am I paying you so much for what some third worlder with a highschool education can do?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to hire the third worlder you can go live in the third world. Goodbye and godspeed on your journey, dear friend.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Soup du Journey posted:

If you want to hire the third worlder you can go live in the third world. Goodbye and godspeed on your journey, dear friend.

congratulations the firm outsourced and now all jobs are done abroad and no money is coming into the local economy

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Magius1337est posted:

congratulations the firm outsourced and now all jobs are done abroad and no money is coming into the local economy

I guess someone else will have to fill that vacuum with a more sustainable business model

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Seize the firm's assets. Nationalize the tech sector and guillotine the executives. Even the one just in charge of paperclips.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I have a budget, so please explain to me why I should pay you $100k for visual basic work. Are you telling me your coding is at least 20% better than an indian who would work for 80k? or are you just coasting on the fact that people "didn't know computers" in the 90s and now you're having to face actual competition now that other countries and people have caught up educationally?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Magius1337est posted:

I have a budget, so please explain to me why I should pay you $100k for visual basic work. Are you telling me your coding is at least 20% better than an indian who would work for 80k? or are you just coasting on the fact that people "didn't know computers" in the 90s and now you're having to face actual competition now that other countries and people have caught up educationally?

You're making well over 20 percent more profit in the local market than you would in India so suck it up bitch

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
maybe your coding skills aren't as valuable anymore since some guy in india can do it?

maybe you should learn a real programming language?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Why do you keep saying "you" here?

And nah, maybe you should sell your products for Indian prices if you don't want to invest in your local economy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Why do you keep saying "you" here?

And nah, maybe you should sell your products for Indian prices if you don't want to invest in your local economy

That sounds like dangerously nationalistic talk there, adolf

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That sounds like dangerously nationalistic talk there, adolf

Nah, just calling out the usual trend of corporations to socialize losses and privatize gains

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nah, just calling out the usual trend of corporations to socialize losses and privatize gains

That's not what your example is about at all though? There's no losses involved, only the fact that an indian worker is willing to do the exact same work for less money but you're insisting that businesses hire the local (probably white) guy because of "reasons" aka racism and nationalism.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That's not what your example is about at all though? There's no losses involved, only the fact that an indian worker is willing to do the exact same work for less money but you're insisting that businesses hire the local (probably white) guy because of "reasons" aka racism and nationalism.

The reasons are to boost people in the location you're selling primarily in.

They are passing a loss on to the local economy so they can pocket some extra profit

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The reasons are to boost people in the location you're selling primarily in.

They are passing a loss on to the local economy so they can pocket some extra profit

What loss? There's no loss involved here, that's not what "loss" means

All you're saying is that you'd rather money go to one country versus another where it's actually doing more good purely because of nationalism.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What loss? There's no loss involved here, that's not what "loss" means

All you're saying is that you'd rather money go to one country versus another where it's actually doing more good purely because of nationalism.

No, i want money to go to people instead of corporations. That extra money isn't serving the local economy at all

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

No, i want money to go to people instead of corporations. That extra money isn't serving the local economy at all

Oh so now indians aren't people??

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

First off, American nationals do in fact take jobs for less than 100k. That is so far above the average wage it's absurd and in most areas that would make you effectively rich. If the skillset is easy, then it should be no problem finding people or *gasp* training people to do it. Find some second generation immigrants to do the work, maybe, so they can also enjoy prosperity.

Second, yeah, the immigrant worker population in any given country does tend to send significantly more money out of the local and national economy than the norm to support family, invest in opportunities overseas, or by returning home.

Third, this is US Government policy. The US government is meant to look out for the interests of its citizens, including creating conditions in which they can find a decent job without competing with the entire planet to drive down the wage.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2018

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

That's not what i am talking about stupid, I'm talking about the extra X dollars the corporation is saving by circumventing the local market value.

If corporations want to pay tbe market value of a local programmer to someone in India, that's totally different. But they don't want that. They want to abuse this program to pay less and put people in their own local economy out of work

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
So why aren't there a bunch of people coming in to take $80,000?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm not sorry you will never be a captain of industry magius

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Magius1337est posted:

So why aren't there a bunch of people coming in to take $80,000?

Really lovely work conditions with no benefits.

Like the h1bs/visa's I was dealing with we're getting paid less and were working 10 hour shifts/ 6 days a week during crunch time. I was able to tell the company (subbing to them) asking me to do that to shove it and got overtime for every hour over 40.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

That's not what i am talking about stupid, I'm talking about the extra X dollars the corporation is saving by circumventing the local market value.

If corporations want to pay tbe market value of a local programmer to someone in India, that's totally different. But they don't want that. They want to abuse this program to pay less and put people in their own local economy out of work

It's a global market now, gramps, get with the program.

Only a fascistic, atavistic nationalist afraid of the "globalists" would disagree

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

I'm working sixty hours a week and making 80,000 dollars :cry:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

I'm working sixty hours a week and making 80,000 dollars :cry:

haha owned

Adbot