Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Would someone invite Cantorsdust as a member to whatever cabal is active right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
where’s your audition tape

brodude
Apr 22, 2008

I'm not a malefactor, I'm a lagomorph.
https://neocoregames.com/en/community/hub/announcing-season-of-the-inferno

This seems like it will be fun. Hope they add more character slots, though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Picked this up because it was cheap on Steam. What's probably the most interesting/entertaining class?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Lone Badger posted:

Picked this up because it was cheap on Steam. What's probably the most interesting/entertaining class?

An inquisitor with a +5 to uninstalling and playing a better game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
with the caveat that this is a bad game and you shouldn't spend too much time one it once you finish the campaign, the psyker was pretty fun. after a while you can teleport everywhere and stack enough buffs to aoe things to oblivion in seconds.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I started with whatever the regular space marine looking gun class is and can pretty strongly recommend not doing that. The other classes are far more interesting if more fragile when you get caught in a bad situation.

One thing to keep in mind that as ARPGs go this is a fairly simple one, at least with stats. Unless things have changed significantly since the last time I played abilities and skills are tied directly to the equipment you’re using, not skill trees or something like that. Using this gun means you have these skills, using this armor means you have those skills. The upgrade trees almost entirely consist of incremental bonuses to things like health, damage types, damage resistances, critical hits, and so on. Gear is on an ever increasing score scale so you are always replacing it as well.

If you aren’t into the more complicated side of ARPG builds it can be okay. It’s not like specific builds don’t exist but they’re less experimental and more “okay so if I want to use laser guns there’s only a few bonuses that will actually help so I have to pick those.”

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
All that said, it’s probably got one of the better campaign plots among arpgs, to set an incredibly low bar.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I just bought this in the sale too and it's interesting to contrast the opinions in this thread with the opinions in the general Steam thread. Consensus there seemed to be it was pretty good (though not spectacular) and that patches had improved it a lot from release.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
It’s aggressively fine if you just need a new ARPG and like 40k lore. Solid 7/10 if you get it cheap. Full price would be more like 4/10. Psyker actually gives you customization options, but gun guy can be fun in short bursts (ha) if you just want to space marine it up. The missions are all “kill everything, but occasionally push buttons”. I dip in now and again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How's the AdMech guy?

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
Generally agree that this is a mediocre game at best. To the dev's credit they did speed up its gameplay considerably in a big patch a while back, it was absolutely glacial before that. One thing it does get right is the sense of destructiveness you get when opening up with a heavy bolter, they did that part of 40k lore justice.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I never played before the 2.0 update but it sounded miserable.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Mordja posted:

How's the AdMech guy?

The most customizable pet class you’ll find in an arpg. Does very little on the field other than make sure he and the pets stay up, but looks proper menacing while doing so.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Kaysette posted:

I never played before the 2.0 update but it sounded miserable.

I haven't picked it up since the first month, because it was fully miserable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CommunityEdition posted:

The most customizable pet class you’ll find in an arpg. Does very little on the field other than make sure he and the pets stay up, but looks proper menacing while doing so.

I like the way his feet are a spider.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

The Lone Badger posted:

Sniper is pretty good but gets more glass cannon the higher up you get. However, my aimed shot skill wrecks, and I have two very good rifles. One is a holy Exitus rifle for armor damage and another is a relic sniper rifle that causes dudes to explode on kill dealing some massive AoE damage.

I like the game and it's way more stable than on release.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Man I picked this up again after playing way too much as the assassin. I tried making the wizard guy and dear lord he’s so squishy. Any tips for keeping him alive while I’m low level?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Geburan posted:

It’s aggressively fine if you just need a new ARPG and like 40k lore. Solid 7/10 if you get it cheap. Full price would be more like 4/10. Psyker actually gives you customization options, but gun guy can be fun in short bursts (ha) if you just want to space marine it up. The missions are all “kill everything, but occasionally push buttons”. I dip in now and again.
So having now played a bit more I think "aggressively fine" is the perfect description, heh. It's fun enough, but not really sure it's worth full price.

edit: the dialogue is enjoyably terrible too

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 11, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Man I picked this up again after playing way too much as the assassin. I tried making the wizard guy and dear lord he’s so squishy. Any tips for keeping him alive while I’m low level?
I focused on going all in on loading him up with Fire spells and put skillpoints into the flame path. Not much tend to survive that, which made his squishiness a pretty moot point. Also remember that you can use cover by pressing "space", which helps out a lot if you are being hosed by bullets.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Game finally had that big sale a few days ago, got the complete bundle cause $80 down to like $20 is something I couldn't pass up, game's pretty rad, I like ARPGs and I like Warhams and the writing is very fun 40K at that. :orks101:

Also I made an Assault Crusader, maxed the health tree and the melee tree after that, have kept using like power greatswords with something like a lasgun or multimelta as my backup weapon set, I feel invincible even on like +8 missions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Precognition gives 100% damage reduction, and you can get 180s duration on a 45s cooldown (losing 3s of duration per hit).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chasiubao posted:

Can I ask this question in reverse? I'm trying the Crusader and it's difficult, enemies get to shoot at me instead of exploding as soon as they step on screen and when they shoot me it causes damage instead of just being ignored. Even my jetpack relies on slowly-recharging Focus instead of being recovered instantly by just killing more enemies. How does he not die?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
How are the gamepad controls, still meh? I've been thinking about reinstalling to try them out. I've said before that this a meh ARPG that would have been much better if they'd gone for twin stick shooter controls, and I'm wondering if there's a control mapping that can change how the game plays.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014
Finally got back into this, and applied to Chapel13. Is there a discord to coordinate groups?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kibayasu posted:

I started with whatever the regular space marine looking gun class is and can pretty strongly recommend not doing that. The other classes are far more interesting if more fragile when you get caught in a bad situation.

If Crusader isn't working for you, you need a plasma gun. Your enemies will do a lot more exploding and/or being on fire. You just need to keep an eye out for gear with heat bonuses and you'll be popping demons and CSMs with the best of 'em in no time. Every so often I'd try a different kind of gun and nope ! back to plasma.

All these different kinds of post-campaign procedural missions and nothing that let's you use the Knight and murder the big baddies ? Sucks, the Knight missions were some of the best parts of the campaign - you'd go from "oh gently caress, a Wraithlord" to stomping half a dozen of them to get to an Avatar of Khaine, which you then murder.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mllaneza posted:

If Crusader isn't working for you, you need a plasma gun. Your enemies will do a lot more exploding and/or being on fire. You just need to keep an eye out for gear with heat bonuses and you'll be popping demons and CSMs with the best of 'em in no time. Every so often I'd try a different kind of gun and nope ! back to plasma.

It’s not that Crusader wasn’t working just that it kind of turned into a kind of boring way to play. I believe I eventually settled on using the two types of melta guns which makes things explode plenty.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

mllaneza posted:

All these different kinds of post-campaign procedural missions and nothing that let's you use the Knight and murder the big baddies ? Sucks, the Knight missions were some of the best parts of the campaign - you'd go from "oh gently caress, a Wraithlord" to stomping half a dozen of them to get to an Avatar of Khaine, which you then murder.

those missions ruled

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone in any cabals?

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I’m really enjoying this game, but I wish I didn’t pick story mode difficulty. I have an assault crusader with a huge loving hammer and it’s great to launch into a big group of dudes and whoop rear end.

I really like this game. I actually enjoy it more than Star Wars squadrons, which is crazy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The different kinds of missions you get are sometimes pretty surprising, it´s just a shame that you tend to be bogged down with standard "Kill these mobs, move to next waypoint".

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Season of the Warp Surge is upon us with its waves of chaos nightmares invading the Caligari sector. Come help us fight them!
If you need an invite to a cabal, send a message ingame to my char: Meat Magician

The Emperor Protects !

Knightsoul fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 29, 2020

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, it looks like I´ve managed to misunderstand something. If I have Prophecy, am I supposed to uninstall Martyr and start playing from the Prophecy launcher instead and convert my current characters.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, it looks like I´ve managed to misunderstand something. If I have Prophecy, am I supposed to uninstall Martyr and start playing from the Prophecy launcher instead and convert my current characters.

According to Neocore , you should always run the Martyr client.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Knightsoul posted:

According to Neocore , you should always run the Martyr client.
Thanks a lot for the answer. Guess it´s time for me to read up on how the Psyker skills have changed since I last played then.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Thanks a lot for the answer. Guess it´s time for me to read up on how the Psyker skills have changed since I last played then.

You are welcome! :angel:

I've heard the Psyker damage output has been toned down since last seasonal patch, but after all it will never gets old running around purgin' demons and xenos like a crazy esorcist. :megadeath:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Knightsoul posted:

You are welcome! :angel:

I've heard the Psyker damage output has been toned down since last seasonal patch, but after all it will never gets old running around purgin' demons and xenos like a crazy esorcist. :megadeath:
If Psykers have been nerfed they better have changed the heat accumulation system radically to balance the DPS loss :colbert:

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Inquisitor Martyr and its dlcs are all discounted - 75%, it's a good time to grab it if you want to play a good sci-fi arpg.

Also, the devs announced they are working on implenting co-op for the Void Crusades.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Guess I'll ask here too then:

Re: Martyr, can you build an admech that's not a pet class? Conversely, do any other classes work as summoners?

E: Oh yeah, I remember hearing there was something fucky about its multiplayer back in the day. I assume it's fixed now? The only reason I'd get it is to play it co-op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
You can build an admech with no pets, but it's not a good idea: it's like you build a melee char but with a sniper rifle in his arms.
Multiplayer is not fixed: people complain various disconnects when doin co-op, I personally never had problems the few times I tried it.
Also, it seems people gather and form co-op teams on the official Inquisitor discord.
Good thing is that devs are working right now to add co-op to Void Crusades (endgame stuff).
Inquisitor Martyr is not a perfect game: it's clunky, got his shares of bugs, low production funds,etc. but it's the only sci-fi arpg I know and it never bored me.

Knightsoul fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 17, 2021