Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I thought Dreamcast did ok, and The Saturn was the final nail in the coffin

nah, it did ok at launch, but had to have a price drop in Japan go keep sales going

the us release did ok, but they stupidly decided to launch against final fantasy 8 which did them no favors

though sales slowed too so they basically started doing more rebate programs, which really turned the console into a loss leader and they just did not get enough software sales on the backside to compensate

eventually Sony announced the ps2 and basically everyone stopped buying the dreamcast and Sega had to tap out

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think nintendo bought the only Sega character that matters. Not the hardware, not the software, they just bought the hedgehog

it was a 3 game exclusivity deal which has already ended

sonic mania was the first game pushed out without the deal in place

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

nah, it did ok at launch, but had to have a price drop in Japan go keep sales going

the us release did ok, but they stupidly decided to launch against final fantasy 8 which did them no favors

though sales slowed too so they basically started doing more rebate programs, which really turned the console into a loss leader and they just did not get enough software sales on the backside to compensate

eventually Sony announced the ps2 and basically everyone stopped buying the dreamcast and Sega had to tap out

it was a 3 game exclusivity deal which has already ended

sonic mania was the first game pushed out without the deal in place

gently caress, I was wrong twice

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gently caress, I was wrong twice

it's alright, no one really gives a poo poo about sonic games ever since 2006

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I need a marble of dank to find coins in.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I hold a dimly lit torch that has only survived due to last minute saviors like Generations and Mania. Otherwise you'd be mostly correct

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Guys in sonic 1 how do you get past that spot in the water temple level where it's not obvious.

There's a bunch of underwater springs.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Guys in sonic 1 how do you get past that spot in the water temple level where it's not obvious.

There's a bunch of underwater springs.

Labyrinth?
Hold right on the dpad. Suck air bubbles. Jump on springs.

Pretty sure, from memory, all you do is go right and up. I hated Labyrinth Zone as a kid, but as I got older it turned out to be one of my favourites.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

I hold a dimly lit torch that has only survived due to last minute saviors like Generations and Mania. Otherwise you'd be mostly correct

It's still a pretty far cry from how it used to be during the Genesis or Dreamcast years, when an mainline Sonic game was something that needed to be celebrated and played.

It's hard to think that Sonic Adventure 2 was a year 2001 release, and that's when that era really ended, just in time to have Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic 2006 come through to repeatedly whack you over the head every time you think you're going to get a good game. Especially the latter since it was so painfully obvious that this big media frenzy built around the 15th anniversary was just so Sega could rush a sloppily made game that needed another goddamned year of development just so it could get the revenue.

After that, the expectation isnt that a S9nic game should be a killer app that you need to play, it's more or less "hey does it not suck, that's cool" (Generations, Colors, Mania) to "guess it's not at least as bad as Sonic 06"

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

it's alright, no one really gives a poo poo about sonic games ever since 1994

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

dreamcast was a really good console for fighting games and it gave us shenmue. what did saturn ever give us?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

dreamcast was a really good console for fighting games and it gave us shenmue. what did saturn ever give us?

Jupiter? I mean, yeah, that one time he tried to eat him, but, he is still his dad

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Guardian Heroes and Daytona USA, I guess

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Panzer Dragoon 1,2, Saga, Shining Force 3, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Barudak posted:

Panzer Dragoon 1,2, Saga, Shining Force 3, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop.

Virtua Fighter 2 always felt kind of... Off. Could never work out why, though

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Virtua Fighter sucks

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only appeal Virtua Fighter ever had got subsumed when DOA 2 bit off an identical style but with far more forgiving input + digital titties.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

mind the walrus posted:

The only appeal Virtua Fighter ever had got subsumed when DOA 2 bit off an identical style but with far more forgiving input + digital titties.

It's all about them Dreamcast titties :hellyeah:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

DOA2 for PS2 had a “jiggle” slider in the gameplay options. Like, who would turn that poo poo down?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

1redflag posted:

DOA2 for PS2 had a “jiggle” slider in the gameplay options. Like, who would turn that poo poo down?

Angry Nintendo moms which is why Nintendo didn't even have that game :colbert:

But then, I guess when they stopped being pussies they had DoA Volleyball. Too little too late if you ask me!!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Monkey's Paw, cause now those guys are stuck making some lovely freemium game full of pedo-bait.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hah I remember buying the first DoA, pixelated yes but dat bounce.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what was a good idea?

The Sega CDX (or the Sega Multi-Mega, depending on region):

Except it didn't fix this:

or this:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

How are there loving still SEGA hardware add-ons I'm finding out about in 2020?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

How are there loving still SEGA hardware add-ons I'm finding out about in 2020?

I'm in the middle of reading old video game magazines and I learned of something new too. Sega was apparently going to have cartridge games for the Saturn (explains why there is a cartridge port even though it was only used for game saves and ram upgrades) and they were actually going to release a console called the Jupiter, that was only the cartridge portion of the Saturn :psyduck:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
There was also Pluto...

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Were there any redeeming qualities of the Master System? I've only ever played a few random emulated games and holy gently caress were they unplayably bad.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Not Sega, but https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Q

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Were there any redeeming qualities of the Master System? I've only ever played a few random emulated games and holy gently caress were they unplayably bad.

I didn't grow up with a Master System so it's not nostalgia but Wonder Boy in Monster Land is really good, despite being impossible.

Also Alex Kid in Hi Tech World is really good because there's nothing else quite like it on the planet.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

R-Type, Phantasy Star, and California Games were insane compared to comparable NES games

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Yeah it had 3D glasses!!! And it could take game cards as well as game cartridges. And it had Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 and other cool games like Sonic Chaos

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The 8 bit Sonic games went completely off the reservation. Management was paying no kind of attention.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maybe Sonic 2 was just a fluke

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Chaos was actually good, though

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Cloner of the Elks posted:

Chaos was actually good, though

Chaos was good, Cloner of Elks. I played it on a Master System jacked into a Game Gear. Somebody at that company really loved stackable peripherals.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Build up, not out. It just makes sense!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I really want insight into their manufacturing pipeline because they mixed/matched their parts and ingredients like a goddamn Tex Mex restaurant

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

That guy probably sells frankenstein USB plugins that you can bang cartridges directly into on the dark web now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah it had 3D glasses!!! And it could take game cards as well as game cartridges. And it had Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3 and other cool games like Sonic Chaos

The fact that this exists blows my goddamn mind

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

There was also Pluto...

Sega’s codenames accounted for most of the solar system:

Mercury: Game Gear
Venus: Nomad
Earth: CD
Mars: 32X
Jupiter: unreleased cartridge-based Saturn
Saturn: Saturn
Uranus: unused?
Neptune: unreleased 16/32-bit hybrid
Pluto: unreleased Saturn with built-in modem

I guess they’d dropped the planet theme by the time of the Dreamcast, which is fortunate since only Uranus was left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Because there was no competition left you idiot, they basically gave up after being untouchable

Lol, yes, the true goal of capitalist corporations; getting to the top and saying "we retire as champion". loving lol