Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
=================================
===A FAVOR FOR A WATCHMAN =======

After a brief moment of conference, you decide to head into the inn while Brinn waits out front, about half a block distant.

The interior and atmosphere of the smiling hound is much as Slid remembers it. There are fewer patrons at the moment then there will be in a few hours, and only about a third of the tables in the common area are occupied.

(40% detection chance: 8 ::passes::) You slide into the closest unoccupied side booth to the entrance without being noticed by Ditian. The guardsman sits on his own at the far end of the bar near the kitchen, the wooden stool next to him covered by his cloak. As you begin to observe he orders something from the barman and settles in to wait. Each time new patrons enter the room he gives them a glance, as well as panning the rest of the room with his eyes twice or so in every minute, but since his back is mostly to you it is easy enough to lean back into the booth or simply put your eyes elsewhere before his gaze turns in your direction.

A few moment after Ditian's drink arrives, a visitor does to. A woman in House Wielan livery comes and stands beside the empty stool next to him, and after a glance up at her face Ditian moves the cloak and she sits down. The two exchange a few words of what seems like casual conversation, (Detection:7+1 vs 5) and while that occurs, Slid notices the woman leave what looks like a thin leather map case leaning against the stool she sits on. After about a minute's worth of conversation, Ditian takes a long pull on his drink and stands, appearing to make his goodbyes. In the process he inconspicuously takes the rolled map case with him. He walks past the two of you without any sign of recognition, and then back out onto the street via the front entrance.

Vote posted:

(A) Exit and continue to follow Ditian.
(B) Continue to observe the woman.
(C) Something else.
((Yeah not a very difficult choice, but I figured ought to at least be offered before moving on. :P))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A, certainly, though we also note the young lady.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Darcy Landown

"Gotta say ride a cart to the port and back feels like it should be a doddle, should we give it a little Welly to cut that journey down a tad?"

>B: Go faster
>Darcy votes no on peeking.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Silver Jenny

Jenny seems happy enough, under the circumstances, to let Seuffer do the talking with the young family -- she's never quite known what to do with children, let alone with mourning mothers. Once they make a decision to make camp, at least she's able to focus on busying herself to make the night as comfortable as possible for those staying outdoors, even though that may just be her comrades and not the pilgrims themselves. Still, a stable camp for the night is its own reward.

A, stay outside, using Trekking to set up the camp

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Percy Delawney - Passage to Silrane

A and on watch

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Clove - Wagon to Port Aveline

Seated comfortably on the wagon, Clove watches the landscape pass by. He'd clutched his crossbow for comfort for a time after leaving the city, but as time wore on his alertness wore down to an easy wariness. Out on these open roads there were little odds of an ambush - at least not one he couldn't put down quickly enough with a few bolts, so there was time to admire the trees and pastures. Still, no sense taking things too leisurely; they had a job to do.

"I think we're safe to speed this up a bit, gents."

As for the cargo, he gave it nary a thought. The job was the job, and peeking through the contents was decidedly outside of the job parameters.

>B: Go faster, no peeking

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Bobby-Jack - Wagon to Port Aveline

Dog Kisser posted:

"I think we're safe to speed this up a bit, gents."

"Really?"

Bobby-Jack squinted as he stared at the road ahead.

"Franky, I feel more confident in our ability to win a scrap against pursuers than in our ability to drive. Better take things here at a pace we know we can handle."

>A: Continue at a cruising pace
> No Peeking

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Camryn Chase

Camryn Chase hid his face behind his drink as the watchman passed. He waited a painfully slow, cautious count before standing to follow him. No point in giving the game away by exiting on the man's heels. Not when Brinn was waiting outside and could tell them which way he'd gone.

(A) Exit and continue to follow Ditian.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
=========================================
===== PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOURNER =========

Seauffer posted:

"Your kid's excitement is downright infectious. Why, makes me almost want to break into song~! The name's Seauffer, Seauffer Leuppah, and I wasn't kiddin' 'bout that singin', neither! Got my lute right here for the trip if'n you'd like me to play or sing any tunes yer lil' one might like ta hear at the camps, tonight or later."
Timaj nods her head, and after a moment bows gratefully. "Thank you. Little Agiijo loves music. And yes, he is something of a handful." Her unusually heavy reptilian features bend upward in a smile as she watches her son race along the tops of a row of loose building stones, apparently long-left-over from the construction of the aqueduct that runs alongside the highway. "But he is a good boy. I am lucky to have been blessed with him."

(Trekking: 7+1=8 vs 3 [Passed])
A very comfortable camp is assembled a few dozen feet yards from the roadway, and a fine, clear night is begun under the stars. Seauffer fills most of the time with music and pleasant song (7+1=8: [Increases morale by 1 (Max:1)])* and friendly conversation occupies the spaces between. Merone sticks with the group exactly as long as propriety demands, then makes for the inn as fast as his well-shod feet can carry him. As the hour grows later, Timaj, Agiijo and Grastan take the coins offered by Xelek with gratitude and go to a nearby home for lodging. (Timaj returns to give Xelek a coin back since the household will not charge her for Agiijo)

Some hours midnight, (scouting: 10+0 Vs. 7) Silver Jenny awakens and notices a figure creeping towards camp from the cluster of village houses, dressed in dark, baggy overclothing and with a deep hood over their head. As the figure approaches in near silence to within about sixty feet, they seem to realize someone in the camp is still awake and has noticed them. The interloper turns with a feigned nonchalance and heads casually in a different direction, taking a widely looping back towards the village. Watching the figure walk away back into the dark, Jenny is reminded of stories she's heard of roadside villagers sometimes pinching the valuables of travelers or caravans that camp alongside the roads.

Besides this, there are no untoward disturbances during the night. No-one has any unusual dreams.

As the sun rises the next morning, Timaj and her child and Grastan reappear, looking well rested. After a cautioning word from Jenny they reassure themselves that all their belongings are in place.

Merone does not appear by the time everyone agreed on, and after another three-quarters of an hour has passed Grastan takes it upon himself to walk to the inn and roust him out. The two reappear ten minutes later, both looking sour.

"Sorry for making everyone wait." Merone quips in a clipped tone. "I've always had trouble waking at the right time."
"Seems like your bedmate could have helped you wake in a timely fashion." Grastan snorts, shouldering his road pack with his one good hand.
"Yes, -well." Fiery red splotches stand out on Merone's cheeks, and he says no more.

The mood lightens somewhat as the group travels onward, rejoining the other travelers and wagons that stream along the road.
The day is sunny and the weather mild, though Timaj's eyes stray from often from the road and from Agiijo to watch grey clouds bunching against the mountains in the north.

"We're nearing my home!" Grastan says enthusiastically, as the group is again stopped for a midday lunch. "In another hour or two we'll reach the fork for Arondas. I suppose I have a favor to ask.. It hasn't been too long since I've been home, but I'd like to see my wife and family all the same. It would take us off our track and set us back by about a day, all told, but we could end the day with a fine meal at my home. I know this is a sacred venture we're on, so.. I'll leave it up to you."

"I've been to Arondas." Merone says, the first words he's spoken in hours. "A bit lowly, but there's at least decent accommodations. and I'd rather not have to spend a night out of doors or in as flea-ridden as the last."

"I would never wish to keep you from your family" Timaj says. "Only, I am worried about this sky." She points upwards to the still-growing mass of clouds that now cloak the tops of the mountains to the north. "I am weather-wise, a little. I see that as maybe breaking tomorrow and drenching the whole area with rain, as like as not. I think we will be under it if we delay too long. Will make for miserable walking and worse camping. Also there is no telling how long the storm will last once it breaks."

Weather posted:

There is a 60% chance it will rain around the base of the mountain tomorrow around midday. If it does rain and you are caught in it, you will lose 1 morale that day, and the Trekking roll for camping that night will be Diff:7. If it does rain it may continue to do so for several days, though you will probably walk out from under it at some point.

quote:

GROUP VOTE
(A) Detour to Arondas
Stay with Grastan's family. You would arrive by this evening, and tomorrow depart again, after presumably spending the night in good contains and win good company.
However, the hike to and from the main road will cost you two half-days, and you will be extremely likely be caught in the rain.(If it does rain.) (You will also be able to just choose to stay in Arondas in order to wait the storm out, it'll just cost you time.)

(B) Continue traveling
Keep on the road to Brassbell Port with no delays. This will put you far enough from the mountain that by the time it does rain (if it does), you will avoid it.

(D) Something else.

Entertaining bonus posted:

* Provisionally, the Entertaining bonus to morale is being set as it will restore 1 point, with the cap being [Roll Result/5].
So, a roll of 7 will increase Morale by 1 to a Max of 1. (So a character with 0 Morale or lower would increase Morale by 1, while a character with 1 or more would not be effected)
A roll of 15 will increase Morale by 1 to a Max of 3. (A character with 2 or fewer morale would increase by 1, characters with Morales of 3 or higher would not be effected)

I know this isn't incredible, but it's free and you should be able to do it basically any time you make camp (and can afford to make noise.) So it should be consistently able to keep morale up when it's at low levels, (and can always help dig you out of negative morale, RAW.) but won't obsolete better-performing morale items that have high cost and take up space. I may also include single-slot Instrument items that grant a bonus to performing when you carry them, to aid in increasing the morale cap. (You can still entertain without them)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
============================
==== JOURNEY TO SILRANE ====
=============================

Bonus: +1 to trekking rolls to and from Silrane

The night is clear and cold; a wind sweeps from the north to rustle the heath and the sparse, skeletal bushes that dot the landscape. Once dinner has been made and eaten the entire party remains on guard, backs to the embers of the small fire that cooked their meal, looking outward, cloaks drawn up and stamping weary and sore feet against the cold.

There was little this day to write about (1d4 = 3) but Korrigath does the best he can to record what there is, with the hope that the following day will yield Silrane, and much there of interest.

(Scouting:3+3+4 = 10 Vs. 7: Success)] After several hours of only shivering branches to draw her eyes, Witchlily spots a different kind of movement amidst the grass; a low, slithering motion as what look to be hunched masses of smooth, dry skin creep forward, drawn by the uncoiling arms of long tentacles.

She makes a soft but urgent noise that alerts the others. Once Percy is able to discern the beasts for himself Creature Lore: (8+3)=11) He recognizes them to be some manner of Lurker. Lurkers are uncommon but well known to mages; primal creatures drawn towards residual magics and disruptions of the Weft, but that still feed on flesh and bone. Their boneless bodies can squeeze through narrows gaps and undulate around objects, and they can instinctively change colors to match with whatever they are currently touching, making them extremely difficult to discern when they are enmeshed with an object.

Lurkers posted:

((you nailed this roll, so:))
Lurkers are level 5 [Primal] creatures. They are fast [Move 8] but have 0 armor.
+ Lurkers attack using a spear template. (2 square)
+ Lurkers can move through low and tall obstacles with no movement penalty. They cannot pass through solid walls.
+ Lurkers can conceal themselves inside of obstacles. They may attack, and can be attacked, when concealing themselves in this way.
+ When hiding inside a Low obstacle, any non-AOE attack roll made against them with a die result of 3 or lower automatically becomes an automiss.
+ When hiding inside a Tall Obstacle, any non-AOE attack roll made against them with a die result of 6 or lower automatically becomes an automiss.
+ When making a ranged attack against a Lurker in an obstacle, the obstacle it is hiding in does not count towards the normal -2 ranged attack roll penalty for shooting across obstacles.

The creatures continue to creep forward at a slow pace, evidently unaware they have been discovered.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Journey to Silrane

With Witchlily and Percy both proving the value of their keen eyes and broad knowledge, Korrigath sought to add the benefit of his own to aid their collective strategy. Without moving, the Tuur observed the approaching forms, analyzing and extrapolating their strengths and weaknesses.

Move: N/A
Act: Analyze [2] talent on Lurkers, MaxHP, MA

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Daeron Stormborne - [Passage to Silrane]

"Any chance them tentacles will scoot on by us?' Daeron whispers to the rest of the group. He watches as the tentacles squirm, unsure of whether to advance or hold still."

Orders

Move: NA
Action: Arcane Lore (1): can we create a magical distraction?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOURNER ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9J1mqHlyk

During the midday meal for the pilgrim caravan, Seauffer found herself gravitating toward the conversations taking place near the head of the train of people.

Timaj, Grastan, and Merone were present in the decision-making for their travels here today, or so it seemed. Timaj's child was on the periphery of the discourse, Seauffer noted, actively seeking out his mother's permissions to go explore a bit, but with his body language alone.

Not wanting for Timaj to be distracted from the relevant discourse, Seauffer took it upon herself to speak directly to Agiijo, "Go on then, lil' amigo. We'll be keepin an eye on ya's~!"

With her eyes on the dranac boy whose mother's eyes were scanning the greying skies, Seauffer listened in on the situation, where the question of a detour to Arondas had been raised. Grastan wanted to see his wife and children, Merone wanted a bed and lodgings, and Timaj was concerned about getting caught in the local weather.

Still in relatively-high spirits, Seauffer was in no particular rush to get to the Mourner and was disinclined to stress about arrangements and supply logistics. 'The world shall provide us the means to success,' was just the kind of mindset she wanted to bring to the proverbial table here.

"Couldn't'cha visit 'em on the return leg of our journey, Mister Grastan?" Seauffer inquired, more than out of simple conversational curiosity. "How long has it been since y'saw 'em last, with r'spect to the cave-in what took yer arm?"

Seauffer spared a glance from watching Agiijo to size up Merone once again, who had brightened up at the prospect of potentially carousing tonight at another inn - what blood was building between him and Grastan, too, and would taking this detour to Grastan's home turf only make matters worse?

There was nothing wrong with entrusting her faith in the gods, or in people playing out their 'parts', especially when it came to such matters of the heart, mind, and spirit.

"Rain or shine, I gots no need ta be anywhere but here with y'all - if Mister Grastan here'd want us ta come an' meet his fam', then I'd rather be kind an' accept the offer, including any delays that might come with!"

Seauffer
> Vote A: Detour to Arondas.

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 10, 2023

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Passage to Silrane
Lurkers In The Night

She grips the crossbow in her hands tightly as Percy lets the team on about the nature of lurkers, eyeing the approaching things carefully as she rises and repositions. Though the open and cover-clad landscape may be to the lurkers' advantage, it does give the party movement options too, having spotted the threat. Were the group less... aged and experienced, she'd tell her charges to sneak or run away while playing hell on these things' approach.

Experience counts though. She sketches out a plan of battle to her compatriots, in a rushed, hushed tones.

"We let them closer - then rush and volley fire east group while they yet not hid in things. Then go south-southeast - care where you stand if they close enough. There's a small clear area just southeaast where we can tempt 'em in the open. Campground's also good here, if we wanna stand ground or reposition."

She gazes over at Brye and offers blunt advice.

"You're slower. Care you don't get caught up, mobbed. Goes for all, but you most."

Move: 1E, 2N (casually)
Action: Hold and pretend all's well (let the enemy get 1 move in)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
==============================================
============ WAGON TO PORT AVELLINE =============
=================================================

(Motoring 10+0 vs. 3 : Pass)
The puffing of the motor rises in tempo and pitch as more power is applied, and the cargo rattles lightly in wagon's bed as it picks up speed, passing other vehicles on the roadway at a jogging pace as an invigorating, self-made breeze sweeps the deck.

An hour or two passes in this way with no real incident (Scouting 5+0 vs. 3 : pass) until you notice a motorwagon on the road behind you moving at a pace quick enough to be gaining on you at a significant rate. Unlike yours, this one carries no cargo, and seems tobe build as a passenger vehicle. From the distance you can make out several figures aboard, all dressed in the bright orange of House Keston. Beneath their livery you think you see the glint of arms and armor. One of them, on the bow of the wagon besides the driver, points directly towards your wagon.

GROUP VOTE posted:

(A) Increase speed
Outrunning them while laden with cargo may not be likely, but we can still try.
(Driving: 6 check) [20%(+10% for every extra point of success) chance to completely outrun pursuer]
Guaranteed crash or motor breakage on a failure.

(B) Hold steady
Let's keep our current speed, at least until we see what our pursuers intend. (No roll required, this check has already been passed)

(C) Pull over and Stop
Rather not talk or fight on a speeding wagon. However this turns out, we're better off with our feet on solid ground.

(D) Something else
Let me know what you have in mind.

-OPTIONAL-
(E) Dumping some cargo
Pitch some of the cargo off the back of the wagon. This could lighten our load, and might distract our pursuers, or even make them swerve and crash.
There is 10/10 cargo onboard, dumping some will grant a [10% * amount of cargo dumped] Chance to delay pursuers, and half that chance to make them crash altogether. Dumping cargo may also make subsequent driving rolls to escape a little easier.
If this option is chosen you will be able to decide on the amount.

(Note: To discourage murderhobo-ism, in many cases you can earn XP for avoiding fights rather than getting into them. XP gained is mostly up to the GM, but is based on the XP value of the potential opposition (70-80% of total value, with level adjustments) normally, but can be effected by how easy or difficult escaping or defusing the situation was.) I know there's ways to cheese this mechanic; don't do them. :P )

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

Percy Delawney - Passage to Silrane

"A fine plan. Lingon, Currant sit. Attend." Percy takes the opportunity to check the hounds' paws and give them scritches.

Move: None
Action: Comfort the hounds.
Lingon: Heel
Currant: 1W & Heel

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

"I don't suppose-"
"no, i won't fly into a wheel, suffering terrible, agonizing crunching to stop their cart"
"-oh. well. You don't know that's what I was going to ask."
"ahuh. sure you weren't."
"Nnnnnno? Mostly? Second-idea-at-best?"
"and the first idea, was?"
"...Drop a turret right in front of a wheel, their cart crashes into the turret and has to take time to upright letting us get away?"
"eh, heard worse ideas. least this one might work."

D: Drop a Sentry Turret ahead of the other carts wheel to crash/stagger the other cart.

"If someone has other ideas, I'd like to hear them before I go through with this."
"Which, that cart is getting closer, so sooner is preferred..."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Bobby-Jack scoffs.

"It's these goons again. The ones giving us side eye at the gates. A hundred percent our employer knew they'd be after us."

"Our pace is fairly good though. If we just keep at it, there's decent odds they won't be able to get us to stop."

"As per sparks", he addressed the magus that kept muttering to their familiar (a habit he very much wished they would drop), "I would not bank on phantoms having the capacity to stop a massive motor wagon since I don't think they have mass at all, let alone be smart enough to aim for the wheels. As I recall, those things can't really do much except aim directly at the closest thing the caster views as the enemy, though I'm no magus."

He keeps quiet for a moment.

"Unless you somehow can conceptualize as those armed fellows as our friends, and only the wheels of the carriage as foes, it does not seem like a plan with much of a chance of working."

>B: Hold steady

Theantero fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 13, 2023

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Darcy Landown

"Alright, and supposedly if they try getting us off the road by ramming us what's our Plan B?" Asked Darcy, who suddenly had the buckler he'd bought in hand at the sight of all those armed men with swords.

"I don't mind a bit of a rumpus but it would set our timetable back a tad."

>B: Hold Steady

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 17, 2023

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

TheNabster posted:

"Alright, and supposedly if they try getting us off the road by ramming us what's our Plan B?" Asked Darcy, who suddenly had the buckler he'd bought in hand at the sight of all those armed men with swords.

"I don't mind a but of a rumpus but it would set our timetable back a tad."

"If they manage to get us to stop, our Plan B is to try and talk them off", Bobby-Jack spoke his mind plainly, "And our Plan C is to kill them."

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Clove listened to them speaking, but said nothing. He had nothing of value to add that hadn't already been stated more eloquently. Instead, he faced backwards, legs danglings off the back of the motorcar, with his crossbow in his lap. He had a pretty good sense that their pursuers weren't on a simple country joyride, and if need be he was ready to put them down.

>B: Hold Steady

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

You return to the street about half a minute after Ditian leaves, (Tracking 5+1 vs 4: Passed) and quickly pick him out in his blue Guardsman's outfit, designed as it was to be seen. (Detection roll:d100: 30 vs 10: Passed) Without noticing you he turns right at the next major intersection and makes for one of the small gatehouses that pass through the main walls. In general he seems less wary, and moves a little faster than previously, with fewer checks of the faces surrounding him. You follow at a respectable distance, passing through the two sets of double portcullises a minute later, and watch as Ditian joins the flow of people leaving the city and moving towards the scant suburbs that surround Barrican. (Being mostly small farmsteads, wagon yards, and temporary trade tents and encampments.) By agreement Brinn remains within the bounds of the city, standing outside the gate for a minute and watching your departure before heading back in.

Without the clutter and intervening crowds of the city streets it is safer to trail Ditian from much further back, and you follow him for around half a mile before he passes through the gate of a well-cared-for two-story farmhouse, surrounded by about an acre of planted field and bounded on all sides by a waist-high rock wall. Ditian stops at the door for a moment and then enters.

According to Yohne, Ditian maintained an apartment in the city; this wouldn't seem to be his home.

quote:

VOTE
(A) Approach the house and knock
Take the direct approach.

(B) Skulk
Creep onto the property and try to look through some windows, to see what you see.
[Results of snooping based on a Detection check](There is a 60% chance you will be discovered. If you are NOT discovered, additional options may become available.)

(C) Observe
Stay where you are and just observe to see if Ditian leaves, or if anyone else arrives.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C

Slid considered. It would be risky to peek in, skilled though he was at the matter. Knocking occurred, but was simply dead foolish. So that left sitting back and waiting.

Slid settled in his hiding place. It was not yet time to become known.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Camryn Chase

Camryn reviewed the words of the loose agreement he'd been hired under. The Watchman had asked him to "figure out where he's going and what he's doing." They'd done the first half, but he doubted knowing the erring watchman was in a random house would be terribly helpful. They needed to know what was going on in that house, or at least who else was in it. Camryn Chase had never cared much for hiding. No, he was more of a standout in front of the crowds kind of person, so skulking wasn't an option.

Leaving Slid to keep an eye on the place, Chase jogged back towards town. He stopped at the first street food stall he saw, and then raced back with his arms full of food. Hoping it wasn't entirely cool yet, he boldly strode right up to the front door and knocked. When the door opened, he smiled and held out the food. "Pizza Kebab delivery!"

If questioned he planned to ask if this was the fifteenth farm house on the right, after the second left turn following the third right turn from Karver Kel's Kebab Shack. By his count this was the fourteenth house off this road so hopefully they'd point him to the neighbors, no harm done.

(A) Approach the house and knock

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Silver Jenny - Pilgrimage to the Mourner

Jenny nods to Seuffer, although she doesn't quite match her comrade's enthusiasm, and her voice stays low. "I think the detour's worth the risk, myself. I can help us deal with rough weather, and... well, if those visitors we had weren't just opportunists, a change of schedule might throw them off the trail. Or flush them out to be dealt with."

Voting A

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Xelek - Pilgrimage to the Mourner

Xelek shakes his head slowly at Grastan's request--a slowness dictated by the physics of a head that continued so far from the neck. He had resolved to be accepting of the man's approach to faith. But there were limits. There was a proper way for things to be done.

"This is not a journey of pleasantries. If you are devoting your life to a god, then you are not walking this path for your own sake. You act in Temmet's sacred name. To place your own desires above the demands of the gods is to..."

Xelek trails off, his eyes no longer focused on Grastan, but instead staring off into the past. A long moment passes in silence.

"Excuse me. I speak out of place. But it is a lesson that should be remembered."

B Continue on the path

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===== PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOURNER =========

Seauffer posted:

"Couldn't'cha visit 'em on the return leg of our journey, Mister Grastan?" Seauffer inquired, more than out of simple conversational curiosity. "How long has it been since y'saw 'em last, with r'spect to the cave-in what took yer arm?"

"Oh, not that long, slightly more than two weeks, since I've last been home." Grastan shrugs. "But I'd like them to know I've safe, and to check in on them.. Again, if that wouldn't put you out that much, and I'll make up for it as much as I can. Oh.. And it's been near to a year since I lost my hand." He squeezes his stump with his remaining hand.

At length the decision is made to make the detour, and at the turnoff in the road the group heads north and towards the mountains in the distance. The road turns gradually upward after a few miles, and you share the road with a number of cargo wagons, most of those headed away from Arondas laden with materials for the industrial forges and smithies of Barrican.

By the time the road transitions into a series of switchbacks that clump up the steepening slope, your calves and thighs are aching, and several stops are needed on your way up the miles-long hillside. (Merone making mutinous noises that grow louder and louder with each quarter mile) When you come into view of the city at last it is quite a sight; An unwalled cluster of grey-stone buildings and towers, stretching from one side of the wide arc of the hillside to the other. The buildings and towers continue further up the slope as well, where the relatively shallow pitch of the rolling hill is replaced by a jut of grey stone cliffs that spike upwards into the mountain proper. Dwellings appear to be carved into the sides of the cliff walls, and a deep, sheer-walled valley in the stone leads further up into the heart of the mountains, where the mines lay. Orange House Keston banners fly from the highest towers, and a massive Keston sigil is painted in brilliant white on a flattened cliff face.

By the time you reach with the lowest of the city buildings, the sun is dipping over the horizon, bathing the city with slanted dusklight. Grastan, apparently none the worse for wear after the climb, enthusiastically leads you through the sloping, mazelike streets away from the main roads and to a well-kept two-story home made of cobbled grey stone and thick wooden timbers. He pounds gleefully on the door and after a few moments it opens to reveal a dark-skinned woman who peers out from behind it curiously.

"El!" Grastan exclaims, stepping forward and sweeping her into a hug.
"What happened?" the woman asks, clearly pleased but just as clearly confused. "Is everything all right?"
"Yes!" Grastan steps back. "We're on the pilgrimage, everything is going well. These are my travel-mates. We took a detour in order to visit." He grins widely and extends his arms to indicate all of you, and makes brief introductions.

"This is Eletza, my wife." He finishes. "My son Denel should be back from the mines shortly."

Eletza curtsies politely to all of you and tells Grastan with a hint of reproach that since she wasn't expecting guests, she'll need to make a trip to market before it closes in order to acommodate everyone for dinner. Grastan bustles you into the lower story of the house, which is rather tight for a group your size, but very well cleaned and kept. The place is filled with mementos of family life and cozy to the point of feeling cramped, but thankfully is well furnished enough to let everyone rest their weary legs and feet. Noteably, a small shrine to Temmet occupies one corner of the room, next to the Benet family shrine.

Grastan's son Denel arrives some time later; a solid-looking young man in miner's attire. He opens the door and steps in without looking, and in the midst of taking off his work boots is shocked look up and an entire traveling group occupying the entire lower floor of his home. Grastan hops up to make introductions, and Denel wearily but earnestly shakes everyone's hand, his own still gritty with rock dust.

Eletza returns with a wicker basket full of food and Grastan bounces to his feet once more to help her in preparing a meal. As they work Eletza starts a hushed but intense conversation with him, and both their occasional glances back it seems as though his unexpected invitation to you is the subject of coversation. Regardless, the couple is all smiles when the meal is finished, and everyone is served where they are sitting; a hot and hearty stew with meat, cut vegetables, a large hunk of sourbread and a cup of mixed juice or ale. A bit of sugar candy is even produced for Agiijo. In all, the meal is as filling and delicious as promised. (+2 Morale to everyone (Max 4)) And with full bellies everyone settles into drowsy, comfortable talk, with the exception of Merone, who, after getting directions back to the central area of town from Grastan, makes a hasty goodbye and leaves in search of finer lodgings.

------ Cutting things off here to keep it bite-sized, feel free to narrate if you like, will resume automatically later --------

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Seauffer Leuppah - [ PILGRIMAGE TO THE MOURNER ]

The home-cooked meal at the Benets' household was immaculate, what with all the flavors brought out by the hearth and heart of Eletza, Grastan's wife. The savory stew with fresh meat and vegetables delivered such a warmth of elation to the pilgrims' cheeks that Seauffer was practically giddy to be traveling with them all again tomorrow. Good spirits in a team of travelers can get you a long way, it's known.

Not wanting to rest on her laurels just yet, while the others put up their feet to digest and converse Seauffer offered to help the mistress of the house with some assistance in the duties of cleaning up.

"Missus Benet, I'd hate ta let'cha feed us such a scrumptious meal without helping out howevers I can in return," Seauffer spoke to Eletza quietly, while everyone else was settling in and clearing plates. "Point me in tha direction of the nearest waterin' hole, well, or pump with a pitcher, and I'll fetch ya'll some water - otherwise, I can help ya'll with the dishes?"

Seauffer fully intended to repay the woman so clearly put-upon by their surprise visit, in some way or another. This evening was gearing to be a positive memory for their family, Seauffer hoped.

Seauffer
> Asks Denel/Grastan about Benet and Temmet Shrines.
> Offers cleanup assistance, Entertainment, or else gives 1$ to Eletza for groceries.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
==============================================
============ WAGON TO PORT AVELLINE =============
=================================================

The decision is made keep a steady speed, and the pursuing wagon gradually shortens the distance between you until it is driving just behind.

Now able to more closely inspect it's occupants, (Detection:7+3=10) you see that are six men in total, all wearing the orange livery of House Keston. They appear to be armed with a mixture of swords and crossbows, some with both, though at the moment none of them are brandishing their weapons. Bobby-Jack's keen eye picks out the newness of the uniforms, the uncertainty in the bearing of some of the fighters. They would appear to not have been in the service long. A stout man, older than the rest and appearing to be in his mid 40's, stands next to the man driving. Unlike the rest he carries a shield and spear and seems confident, though weary, in his bearing. He cups his hand around his mouth and shouts. "MY NAME IS DAVIEN WAXFORD, OF THE KESTON GUARD. IN THE NAME THE COUNT, PULL TO THE SIDE!!" and then points to the road's shoulder.

Options posted:

A: Pull Over The roadside is the best place to settle this, one way or another.

B: Keep going This will start a combat map. Driving rolls will be used to determine how much or little the opposing wagon gains on you on every given round. Escape via this means is possible, (though unlikely). One person will need to use their action to drive each turn.

Communication with the other party is possible in either case; though obviously, attempting to escape may change the way the conversation goes. Since these are human opponents, by default they will be wounded rather than killed in combat, if one breaks out.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Clove kept watching them, but said nothing. Stopping wasn't part of the job.

>B: Keep Going
[/quote]

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Bobby-Jack squints.

"Six men, though thankfully all clearly rookies save for one", he purses his lips, "Swords and crossbows. Even if... Darcy was it, drives due to lack of reach on his part, that's one of us for every two of them... though I guess not quite, since they also need a driver."

"Still, I much prefer our odds duking it out on the roadside. One against one and a half is significantly better odds in our favor. And who knows, maybe we can still dissuade a bunch of scared greenhorns."

A: Pull Over

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Slid stands watch by the edge of the property as Camryn jogs the fair distance back to the city. No one enters or leaves the house or yard for as long as he stands there, though some lights do some on upstairs as the strains of afternoon light grow fainter.

Camryn returns with food a while later, approaches the door and knocks. There is no answer at the door for a long while, but moments before Camryn is about to knock for the third time, the door opens about a foot and a tired-seeming young woman with pulled-up, clay-colored hair peers through, caution and curiosity written on her features. The house beyond her is dark on the interior, the only lights on being upstairs.

"Hello," she ventures after a moment, looking Camryn overhand seeming to take in his garb and weapons. "This is the Eneloas farmstead. I'm Rura. What are you here for?"

Upon hearing Camryn's explanation, she smiles and shakes her head, seeming to relax somewhat. "An easy mistake. But I haven't ordered anything of the sort, so it's certainly not for me. Good luck finding the proper recipients." She smiles again and nods, seeming ready to re-close the door.

(( If there's anything further you'd like to say or do or try to examine further, feel free to narrate.))

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Camryn Chase

Not wanting to press his luck, Camryn apologized to Rura, again, and took his leave. Just to be thorough, he made the long walk over to the neighboring farmstead to ask if they could "give him directions to the Eneloas farmstead. He had a delivery for a 'Rura Eneloas'." Hefting his armful of kebabs indicatively.

After double-checking, he planned to circle back to rejoin Slim. Perhaps his fellow outrider was hungry for some kebabs?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Darcy Landown - Wagon to Port Aveline

"Doggedly determined ain't they? Alright, let's go see what they want to charge us honest hardworking citizens with."

Darcy will politely gesture a turning signal towards the nearest somewhat flat area of ground, resisiting to urge to flip them the bird, and then pull the cart over.

"So talk first, violence second I have this right Boss Man?" This was directed quietly at Bobby who, in Darcy's mind seemed to be the one with most of his marbles together.

Well the second choices were a wizard who kept talking into his bag to a voice inside it, and the anti-social rootkith. And he was never a bark orders kind of guy.

>A: Pull Over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

TheNabster posted:

"So talk first, violence second I have this right Boss Man?" This was directed quietly at Bobby who, in Darcy's mind seemed to be the one with most of his marbles together.

Bobby-Jack nods slowly.

"Yeah. Now granted, I don't have much faith in words dissuading them. Lawmen tend to be stubborn that way. Our best bet in that regard is trying to mean mug those rookies and hope they're untested enough to not pick a fight with a bunch of Outriders."

"But even if we need to get our hands dirty, I'd prefer more room to maneuver than the confines of this carriage."