Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Referee posted:

Okay, that still doesn’t address this:

No flip, nor PM, said anything about a double vote and Hal has explicitly stated that you weren’t informed and shouldn’t be able to have seen it in any communication.

Opopanax posted:

I meant I see the stuff about you visiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

shwinnebego posted:

i'm not fully present, sorry but what the gently caress are u two talking about, can someone please summarize what's going on

and once again Opop, have you claimed and if so what

Yes, half at the start of the game half this morning.

I am lady luck. Each night I smile on someone and give them 500 chips. If they're a bad player/fish they join a masonry. If at least 2 people are alive we have a group protect we vote to use.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

shwinnebego posted:

i'm not fully present, sorry but what the gently caress are u two talking about, can someone please summarize what's going on

and once again Opop, have you claimed and if so what

Imo Ref is trying to create a gotcha because he’s a bit desperate since he’s mostly caught

I mean it could be accidental misreading of things but I had no trouble following what Opop was saying even with the “pm” mistake

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I did mispeak earlier but Ref is clearly hamming it up since they were seen visiting the guy who died last night.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There's no way there's four scum so even if it isn't ref we'll have another day let's just get this done

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Imo Ref is trying to create a gotcha because he’s a bit desperate since he’s mostly caught

I mean it could be accidental misreading of things but I had no trouble following what Opop was saying even with the “pm” mistake

have you claimed?

has siv?

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Ref visited the dead person. I gave you a double vote and chips. Shouldn’t be that hard to puzzle that choice out buddy

oh i guess you're implying that you watched stalin and ref visited?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

shwinnebego posted:

oh i guess you're implying that you watched stalin and ref visited?

Read Stalin's flip.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

shwinnebego posted:

have you claimed?

has siv?

Lmao cmon dude

I am Lenny the whale, I give people 222 chips at night and then they are also secretly a doublevoter the next day

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Opopanax posted:

Read Stalin's flip.

got it

##vote ref

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

you drat old mafia heads with your "reading posts" and "keeping track of the game"

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Lmao cmon dude

I am Lenny the whale, I give people 222 chips at night and then they are also secretly a doublevoter the next day

thx

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

ref's at -1

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

i suppose it would be good form to wait for siv to wait in but i think we've caught scum and probs ended the game

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Read Stalin's flip.

Since that might be asking too much, stalins role was he marked people and whoever they visit has 200 chips stolen from them

Stalin had 200 chips stolen by referee last night, but regardless Ref has fessed up to doing the visit so that’s not in question, just whether you believe refs gunsmith claim

Unless scum can do multiple actions it can’t be me and it probably can’t be SiV just based on the chip movements we can publicly see

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

shwinnebego posted:

ref's at -1

Oh… nope he’s hammered, Opop should have a double vote

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Since that might be asking too much, stalins role was he marked people and whoever they visit has 200 chips stolen from them

Stalin had 200 chips stolen by referee last night, but regardless Ref has fessed up to doing the visit so that’s not in question, just whether you believe refs gunsmith claim

Unless scum can do multiple actions it can’t be me and it probably can’t be SiV just based on the chip movements we can publicly see

thanks that's helpful, i worked out the first bit but not the SiV bit

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:redhammer:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Doing kids bedtime so flip will be an hour or two

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Five minutes later, one of the players made a discovery. "Hey," they yelled, "I found the button! It was stuck to the bottom of the deck! There's a 200-chip here too! WHOA wait a second are these cards marked?!"

The strangely sticky-fingered pack of cards was immediately discarded and a new one found. The remaining players realised it wasn't that much fun playing Texas Hold 'em without any community cards, so they started from scratch and played long into the night, confident in the knowledge that all the cheatin' swines at the table had finally been eliminated.

Referee, The Deck, SCUM-aligned JOAT was chucked in the bin on day 5!

quote:

Without you, the game could not exist. Standard decks of cards have two colours - red and black - but decks designed for poker often have four: :h: :d: :s: :c: . In addition, some decks may be subtly marked, allowing players in the know to cheat by detecting the values of cards they handle without seeing their faces.

In addition to the shared night kill, you have access to the following one-shot night actions:
##heart: You read the heart of another player, learning the name of their role and any mason partners they have.
##diamond: You form a diamond-hard carapace, giving you a shot of bulletproof.
##spade: You dig a tunnel from your stack to another player’s, stealing 500 chips from them. As a side effect, any actions upon your target will instead hit you, and any actions upon you will instead hit your target.
##club: You club a player, knocking them out and preventing them taking any action tonight.

You start the game with the standard 1000 chips.

As long as you are alive, whoever performs the night kill can ##cold-deck their target. The target will not die immediately, but can be killed by you during the following day by using ##call the floor on <player> (a public in-thread day action). If you choose not to do this, the kill will automatically and anonymously occur at end of day (simultaneously with hammer, if one occurs). This ability cannot be used on consecutive nights unless you are the last scum alive.

You are SCUM-aligned and win when your team has control of the vote.

TOWN has won the game!

Additionally, Referee receives a personal win for having the highest chip count on the losing team!

shwinnebego receives bragging rights in perpetuity for having the highest chip count overall!

quote:

You are Phil “Poker Brat” Hellmuth, TOWN-aligned Explosive Miller. Both one of the most successful players of all time and one of the most abrasive, you have a reputation for losing your temper at bad beats and generally abusing your celeb status to get away with obnoxious behaviour at the table.

You are in a love-hate relationship (aka an unconfirmed masonry) with The River.

Being an extremely accomplished player, you have an advantage when worse players use chip-affecting actions on you. You start the game with the standard 1000 chips.

If you are eliminated by a vote, you will lose your temper. You may choose whether to ##berate the last player to vote for you, causing them to leave the table in shame (die), or ##scatter their stack, redistributing 80% of it equally amongst all other remaining players.

Any investigations into your alignment will return a result consistent with you being SCUM.

You are TOWN-aligned and win when all threats to town are eliminated.

Also surviving were Opopanax

quote:

You are Lady Luck, TOWN-aligned Masonizer. Poker is a game of both skill and luck: your role is to keep the fish at the table by giving them a big win once in a while.

You start the game with 4000 chips, four times the standard amount.

During the night phase, if you have over 500 chips remaining, you must choose another player to ##smile upon, gifting them 500 of your chips. If your target is a bad player (fish), you will start an unconfirmed masonry with them. As long as at least one fish is in your masonry, you gain a collective masonry ##protect action. All masonry members may vote on whom to target: if there is no majority, the target will be randomly selected from amongst the votes.

Hal Insandenza

quote:

You are Lenny the Whale TOWN-aligned Vanilla/ATM. Being extremely rich and keen to bully opponents with your big stack, you start the game with 2000 chips, twice the standard amount. In addition, should you drop below 500 chips while still alive, you have a one-shot ##rebuy which may be used at any time you are not currently seated in a poker game to gain an additional 1000 chips.

You are a bad player who likes to splash your cash. During the night phase, you must select another player to ##payout to. You will gift 222 chips to that player. That player will receive a message informing them of the donation, but not who it is from. During the following day, that player’s vote will secretly count double.

and Spacing in Vienna!

quote:

You are Bluffing Brad, TOWN-aligned Vanilla/Bluffmeister. You’re a decent player, but perhaps a little too prone to bluffing - a tendency that might hurt you in this game! Still, the payoff could be worth it.

You start the game with the standard 1000 chips. During the night phase, you must ##bluff another player, removing one fifth of their stack and adding it to your own. You cannot bluff the same player twice in a row. Very good players may turn the tables on your bluff. Note that stack sizes are publicly available information.

Thank you all for playing, it's been a blast. Some thoughts on the setup to follow - I think scum got a raw deal here, and that's down to a couple of decisions I made late on in the implementation.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Fun game! Glad I came out of retirement for this one :) Thanks for running it, Maugrim!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Hm, should we trust this person claiming to be a Gunsmith that visited someone the Cop already cleared? I dunno, that one person said something that could be misconstrued as scummy if you squint really hard...

Seriously though, fun game! Even if I got kind of bodied at the poker tables.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
So one thing I realised as I was setting up the game was that I had no way to hide chip counts from the players: you could always check anyone's chips in the Discord. Since this was publicly available info anyway, I decided just before the game started that for the convenience of players, and to make it easier to track who was on course for the personal win, I should put that info front and centre - hence posting the chip leaderboards.

From there it was a small step to including the changes in chip totals from the previous leaderboards - you've got to see who's made progress and who hasn't, right? And then, of course, I had the bright idea of closing the tables during the night phase - partly to make it easier for me to process the chip changes, but also to make it easier for the players to do the maths and work out whose chips went where.

As we discovered, the easier you make it to track the chip movements, the harder it is for scum to hide. With 20/20 hindsight I think I should probably just have posted the chip counts and placings at the start of each day, with no flagging of chip changes, and I should have kept the tables open at night. This way town could still have tracked all the movements if they really tried but they'd have had their work cut out for them.

All that said, town did play well! Shoutout to Neverhelm who clocked the scum team and Zoya's godfather from an early stage, Grandi who laid down a perfect solve in true Mafia Champ style, and SiV who did the daily work of sussing out all the chip changes.

Also, I'm probably going to use straightforward Cop roles very sparingly in future games. I see now why people say they aren't that fun.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 26, 2023

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I liked the setup / idea! Including a semi-optional component was cool, neat way to engage obs and dead players (at least the ones who still had chips). A bit tough for scum, agree.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

a note: DB's very obviously verifiably false fake claim was actually my fault :baduk:

for some reason i was convinced the extra chips i stole due to whoever's action (shwinne? idr) was a random bonus for having succeeded my action, and came up with an elaborate fakeclaim for him based on that

when maugrim confirmed, concerned for us, that this was a faulty premise based on his mod comm wording... we went ahead with the fake claim anyway cuz the only other ones we'd thought of were somehow worse

i thought the chip movements would be harder to figure out without scum's knowledge, but they kind of weren't, and either way it should have been very obvious that chips weren't apparating out of nowhere so that's entirely on me :negative:

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

he was prolly dead anyway cuz cop but yeah

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

schwinne getting chips and then the game immediately ending before I could win more at the poker table was very rude, but thanks for the game!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So who all could I recruit?

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Maugrim posted:

As we discovered, the easier you make it to track the chip movements, the harder it is for scum to hide.

Assuming that scum powers require somehow lying about chip movements, which I actually did not assume until the very end of the game. I figured it was a red herring.

Overall scum got boxed in by town investigative powers, though. Under the circumstances they did a great job.

GG everyone, and I really enjoyed the poker piece of this game!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
As an irl poker player this game was a must and I was not dissapointed, the flavor and mechanics were really fun! Thanks Maug and shell for running! Good effort by my scum bros but the excellent cop was the beginning of the end for us :p

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Opopanax posted:

So who all could I recruit?

Just Grandi and Hal.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Of the six real human players at the table, two were pros, two were "decent" players (including one scum) and two were fish. I'm not sure why Hal never claimed bad player but I assumed he just missed that part of his role PM

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Maugrim posted:

Of the six real human players at the table, two were pros, two were "decent" players (including one scum) and two were fish. I'm not sure why Hal never claimed bad player but I assumed he just missed that part of his role PM

I missed Opop’s original claim and then forgot about it later. Darn it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Should have followed my gut and recruited Hal right away but it seemed risky to guess too much

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Was my shot of BP essentially a red herring?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There were a couple of potential threats it could counter, if you hammered shwin he could blow you up or if Cube charged his day vig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
This game was a blast, thank you Maugrim for running it!