Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

If I remember right, "echo" is very very very very very very very slightly faster than "print" -- trivial.

This is correct. Here's a pretty cool site that has this question (very bottom) and many other benchmarks: http://www.phpbench.com/

E:

McGlockenshire posted:

Stick the creation of the headers after the email format validation. Nearly wrote an essay on how header injection works.

The built-in filter is OK, but use isemail if you can. It's so RFC compliant that they had to file an erratum just to clear things up.

Looks fine otherwise, with the exception of the whole spambot thing. Watch out, your host might not let you send using an arbitrary From, and doing so will get that mail dropped in the spam folder if the From's domain tries to implement SPF or DKIM.

Ah cool man thank you. I'm going to check out http://www.phpsecure.info/v2/article/MailHeadersInject.en.php which I'm guessing is your website for more information on header injection. I'll look into an alternative $from as well. I run my own hosting service with SPF on the domain -- no problems yet since it's already added to my safe list, but I'll have to try with another e-mail I have and see what happens when I send it with the same address.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Knyteguy posted:

This is correct. Here's a pretty cool site that has this question (very bottom) and many other benchmarks: http://www.phpbench.com/

Prehistoric. Hasn't been updated since the PHP4 days, IIRC. Don't trust a single metric there without duplicating the benchmark.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

McGlockenshire posted:

Prehistoric. Hasn't been updated since the PHP4 days, IIRC. Don't trust a single metric there without duplicating the benchmark.

Ouch, good to know. This would actually be kind of a fun project.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

McGlockenshire posted:

How to avoid crap PHP advice:

Ignore anything written before 2006 or that mentions PHP 5.0 is new.

Ignore anything using the mysql_ family of functions.

Ignore anything that doesn't mention what XSS or CSRF are.

Could anybody recommend some beginner to intermediate books on PHP, with a special emphasis on OOP, design patterns, security, or database integration? I definitely want a focus on the theory behind why coding one way is better than another. I can read through the code in beginner books just fine, I'm not an absolute beginner, but I have no grounding in the theory behind design/code choices and why certain approaches/functions are avoided now. I graduate uni in 2 months and want to spend the next 6 months reading a hell of a lot on PHP/SQL/jQuery. I figure I'll look at frameworks as my skill increases, but I want to know the fundamentals and the theory behind the language first. I guess what I'm looking for is a behind-the-scenes look at the function and design of the language, without being too verbose... Most beginners books teach you the interface approach to coding, i.e. "if you type this word followed by a bracket followed by a series of other words, it returns these values!" and I want a deeper look at how the language functions and communicates.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 8, 2012

-JS-
Jun 1, 2004

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Could anybody recommend some beginner to intermediate books on PHP

PHP Objects, Patterns and Practice is a good one.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

-JS- posted:

PHP Objects, Patterns and Practice is a good one.

Thanks. I was waiting for some more people to reply so I could thank everybody at once rather than spamming, but that book looks pretty good.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I dunno how many of you guys use a a real PHP IDE, but I have been using PHPStorm and its the first one I have actually laid out real money for.

There are two drawbacks, 1. getting it setup and configured is a little convoluted especially when you setup debugging and unit tests and 2. it does not support debugging or previewing on sites using https which is loving weird (we ended up using a VPN to code from outside of the office).

Given that, the autocomplete is unheard of awesome. It will autocomplete not only standard PHP stuff, but all the classes in your project. It will also autocomplete XML, CSS, javascript, SQL, etc., by evaluating strings using regular expressions. I found netbeans to be super flaky, and the Zend IDE thing to be even flakier and more convoluted.

If you set it up to read your database structure, it will even autocomplete your database fields, like in the following screen, via some sort of unicorn magic it determined that I was writing SQL then found the matching db fields

http://d.pr/i/SoLe

Anywho, I recommend it as long as you are patient enough to get through the xdebug/phpunit setup without pulling out your hair.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Begby posted:

I dunno how many of you guys use a a real PHP IDE, but I have been using PHPStorm and its the first one I have actually laid out real money for.

There are two drawbacks, 1. getting it setup and configured is a little convoluted especially when you setup debugging and unit tests and 2. it does not support debugging or previewing on sites using https which is loving weird (we ended up using a VPN to code from outside of the office).

Given that, the autocomplete is unheard of awesome. It will autocomplete not only standard PHP stuff, but all the classes in your project. It will also autocomplete XML, CSS, javascript, SQL, etc., by evaluating strings using regular expressions. I found netbeans to be super flaky, and the Zend IDE thing to be even flakier and more convoluted.

If you set it up to read your database structure, it will even autocomplete your database fields, like in the following screen, via some sort of unicorn magic it determined that I was writing SQL then found the matching db fields

http://d.pr/i/SoLe

Anywho, I recommend it as long as you are patient enough to get through the xdebug/phpunit setup without pulling out your hair.

PHPStorm is fantastic and absolutely worth the money if you're doing any kind of serious PHP development.

The initial setup is a little weird, but I put that down to PHP being kind of a pain in the rear end to set up on Windows (I've had similar experiences with most PHP IDEs). Plus, if you're using 5.4, it works with the built in webserver right out of the box.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I use Komodo Edit (the open source edition of Komodo IDE). It does pretty well, aside from some weird oddities with long, minified javascript files.

While not a full IDE, the free version hooks into your PHP binary, and gives you live syntax checking, as well as the ability to trace variable and class definitions back to their source (and code/documentation hints).

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 11, 2012

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I'm using phpDesigner 8 and find it great to use. I haven't used it for debugging though.

Always willing to try new ones so will give PHPStorm a go.

EDIT: I notice it has a Symfony2 plugin, does anyone know if it has something similar for CodeIgniter?

SimonNotGarfunkel fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 11, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I'm on PHPDesigner 7 and am wondering if it's worth it to buy 8. I think I'd rather try new things.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!
I've always liked UltraEdit or UEStudio. I've never really tried anything else though so I can't provide a good comparison to other products.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I have not used UEStudio nor PHPDesigner, if any of you guys do give it a try, I would like to hear how it compares to your current IDE. One thing that we do is work on remote dev servers, and netbeans kinda failed at that after mountain lion broke webdav, so we had to start shopping around for other IDEs.

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

I notice it has a Symfony2 plugin, does anyone know if it has something similar for CodeIgniter?

I am not sure, however if the CI people ever got around to properly commenting their functions and methods it should have really great autocomplete which is probably all you would really need with CI. All you would need to do is add the codeignitor folder as a resource in your project.

edit: Ok, nevermind. I guess they haven't yet properly commented their code yet.
http://validwebs.com/346/code-completion-for-codeigniter-in-phpstorm/

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I'm gonna have a play around with PHPStorm 5 and Symfony2 this weekend.

When using Symfony2, what's everyone's preferred ORM, Doctrine or Propel?

I'm pretty familiar with Active Record so should be able to pick up Propel quite easily but what's generally considered the standard?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

I'm pretty familiar with Active Record so should be able to pick up Propel quite easily but what's generally considered the standard?

Generally Doctrine is the standard with Symfony. I've never used Propel with it, but Symfony2 was released with default Doctrine2 support.

Doctrine2 can be a beast (slow and overly verbose) sometimes, but I generally dig it.

If you need to run a _ton_ of large complex SQL queries, Propel might be better suited.

Of course, you can also use the Doctrine DBAL library to run complex queries if you need basic objects returned.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What are the advantages of an ORM over just writing SQL?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
A good ORM, especially something that does Data Mapper (Doctrine2) or Row Data Gateway (ZF & ZF2) instead of Active Record, can make easy things easier and ease a great deal of complexity when having to deal with simple CRUD of individual records.

Unfortunately you don't always need to accomplish simple, easy CRUD, and that's when it all goes to hell and you end up with a mess of code generation and configuration file creation and docblock parsing and table metadata scraping just to get poo poo done.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Golbez posted:

Doctrine is the first real ORM I've ever used (aside from writing one of my own). My experience with it is related entirely with Symfony.

The thing I'm digging about Doctrine is the repository manager and entity manager they have with it. A repository is a class related to an entity (essentially a model) and you can write methods that operate on that entity in the repository. It makes (functional) testing and dependency injection easy. It also keeps any custom SQL you have to write in a nice reusable class.

Doctrine abstracts all of the boilerplate inserts and updates. Also handles a lot of your basic selects. But for complex queries you either have to drop down to the database abstraction layer class or write a query in Doctrine's own query language called DQL (I don't like DQL). So now you've completely removed the usefulness of an ORM because you have a mix of generic code (using the ORM) mixed with database specific code (your custom queries). This is basically what McGlockenshire is saying.

So, like a lot of things, it's a grey area. It can greatly help with a lot of boilerplate code, or make your life hell for really complex queries.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Doctrine, oh god yes use Doctrine. I didn't even know Propel was a choice for Symfony2, but stay away. Nearly any third party bundle you might want to use will use Doctrine.

Golbez posted:

The main advantage of an ORM is making code reuse easy. Sure, you can create your own model classes and painstakingly write a bunch of support for reusing a couple queries... or you can use an ORM and bake all that poo poo in with no effort. Plus, it'll be 98% as fast as the raw SQL anyways, especially if you're using APC or similar.

Also, most ORMs are database agnostic. Want to include an sqlite db in your test suite for fixtures? No sweat -- poo poo's supported. Have fun supporting that without an ORM.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Golbez posted:

They make basic CRUD applications easier, and can provide a limited amount of portability (You don't need to know SQL syntax specific to any DB engine).

As soon as you get to complex relationships, almost all ORMs turn out to be nearly useless. They either produce horrible, slow, SQL; can't handle basic joining properly (let alone complex joins or exclusion joins); or fake joins by firing off hundreds of SQL queries.

Personally, I try to avoid ORMs because of these issues. I don't tend to make many 'basic' CRUD applications, so complex joins are usually required. If you want to be able to write your application logic just using classes and not have to worry about SQL most of the time, then an ORM can help. You can't beat writing your own models properly including all the specific search, read, and save SQL, though.

That being said, there is one ORM that I've use which I would swear by. Problem is that it's in python. SQLAlchemy allows me to compile my queries with custom complex joins, and the resulting SQL is almost exactly how I would have written it myself. It's still slower than just writing my SQL, though.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like any of the PHP frameworks that I've ever used (including code ignighter and cake PHP) because I feel that they mainly get in the way and don't actually add anything that isn't already built into PHP. I keep running into them, and feeling like I'm beating my head on a brick wall. They have a place and a purpose, but mainly I feel that those are "far away from me".

I feel much the same about ORMs. When I want to implement something and don't think instantiating 500 objects to find 1 is a sound method of writing code, I feel that they're getting in my way. I can't break out of the style of using them easily without creating horrible code, so I'm inclined to not use them at all.

Not everyone wants (or needs) to understand SQL at the depth that I do (and I don't understand it anywhere near as well as many other people). It would make them better at writing code if they could, but if they can get by with an ORM then at least they're probably not introducing too many security holes.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Eloquent ORM is used in the Laravel framework and it's basically the only ORM I have ever used that I've not just "not-hated" but actually loved. It actually handles all the relationships (one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many) without issue which is great when you want to say, remove a post and also delete all the entries from your compound tables etc.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 15, 2012

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp
I'm helping a friend with a website and I'm cobbling together some php code from various guides to make a login script. But I'm getting a parse error on the last line, where it says ?>, which seems strange.
Could anyone have a look at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
code:
<?php 

mysql_connect("localhost:3306", "guest", "1dty6djv") or die(mysql_error()); 
 mysql_select_db("hpy") or die(mysql_error()); 

//check cookie
 if(isset($_COOKIE['loginid'])) {
	$email_address = $_COOKIE['loginid'];
	$password = $_COOKIE['pass'];
	$check = mysql_query("SELECT email_address FROM users WHERE email_address = 
	'$email_address' AND password = '$password'") or die(mysql_error());
	if($check){
		header("Location: members.php");
	}

//login
if (isset($_POST['submit'])) {
	$email_address = $_POST['email_address'];
	$password = $_POST['password'];
	$check = mysql_query("SELECT email_address FROM users WHERE email_address = 
	'$email_address' AND password = '$password'") or die(mysql_error());
	if($check){
		header("Location: members.php");	
	}
	else {
		die(mysql_error());
	}
?>

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Fleur Bleu posted:

I'm helping a friend with a website and I'm cobbling together some php code from various guides to make a login script. But I'm getting a parse error on the last line, where it says ?>, which seems strange.
Could anyone have a look at it and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Both if statements are missing their terminating brackets

also your script is hilariously vulnerable to sql injection

also we know your db password

&password=';%20drop%20database%20hpy;

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unless I'm missing something, nothing about what you have posted is usable (or should be used) for numerous reasons. Someone can probably recommend some good tutorials but they're pretty hard to come by because most of them are very outdated.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Glory of Arioch posted:

Both if statements are missing their terminating brackets

also your script is hilariously vulnerable to sql injection

also we know your db password

Thanks for the pointers, I'll have to work on it some more then!

Glory of Arioch posted:

&password=';%20drop%20database%20hpy;

Haha, yeah that looks pretty bad.

Mister Chief posted:

Unless I'm missing something, nothing about what you have posted is usable (or should be used) for numerous reasons. Someone can probably recommend some good tutorials but they're pretty hard to come by because most of them are very outdated.

I started off with some I found on the web, but I'll have to dig deeper to get decent probably.
I'm having a look at http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Never use the mysql_ or mysqli_ functions. They're very old and deprecated.

Look into PDO as well: http://php.net/manual/en/book.pdo.php

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
No, mysqli_ is Ok, it just happens that doing prepared statements with it is a royal bitch.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I have some 12-year-old person pestering me via email for information about how I built my website's CMS. I created my CMS as an exercise in PHP and MySQL. It does what I want it to do, and it's robust, but it's not very good or easy to use and it uses very bad practice, so in principle I refused to share the code with him because it would just result in more badly-written CMSes. But I don't want to discourage him from coding. Can anyone suggest a good tutorial that I can point him at instead?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

McGlockenshire posted:

No, mysqli_ is Ok, it just happens that doing prepared statements with it is a royal bitch.
I hate mysqli_ so much because of this, just use PDO pretty much

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Ever since we upgraded to gnupg 2, the PGP stuff in PHP doesn't work. Specifically, we can't add a key because, in gnupg2, this always loads a program rather than just taking input, and thus it simply fails for a web application. I haven't found too many people with the problem but I have found some, and I've found no solutions. I'm just surprised this isn't a bigger complaint. Does anyone know ANYTHING we can do other than just give up on using passphrases in gnupg?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Golbez posted:

Ever since we upgraded to gnupg 2, the PGP stuff in PHP doesn't work. Specifically, we can't add a key because, in gnupg2, this always loads a program rather than just taking input, and thus it simply fails for a web application. I haven't found too many people with the problem but I have found some, and I've found no solutions. I'm just surprised this isn't a bigger complaint. Does anyone know ANYTHING we can do other than just give up on using passphrases in gnupg?
You can probably just stick with the original gpg, it's still being maintained.

From glancing at the list of improvements in gpg2 they mostly seem like desktop-application oriented features (S/MIME signing and smartcard support), so I'm pretty confident in tossing this problem into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

I guess you could alias gpg2 to gpg2 --passphrase-fd 0 or replace the gpg2 binary with a script that does that, so you can supply the passphrase in STDIN (which should work like gpg does). No guarantees!

qntm posted:

I have some 12-year-old person pestering me via email for information about how I built my website's CMS.
Don't be surprised if that 12-year-old turns out to be some dick from a lovely code house somewhere, farming up code to re-use and resell. Sounds cynical, but I passed some code to a "student" once and it turned up on a dozen poorly-coded small business sites shortly after, which I only found out about because he'd left stylesheet links to my server in there.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 17, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

The Gripper posted:

You can probably just stick with the original gpg, it's still being maintained.

From glancing at the list of improvements in gpg2 they mostly seem like desktop-application oriented features (S/MIME signing and smartcard support), so I'm pretty confident in tossing this problem into the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

I guess you could alias gpg2 to gpg2 --passphrase-fd 0 or replace the gpg2 binary with a script that does that, so you can supply the passphrase in STDIN (which should work like gpg does). No guarantees!

gnupg2 came with (I think, I didn't set this up) RHEL 6, and there's no official package of gnupg1 for that now, and we're having trouble getting a gnupg 1 we picked up elsewhere to coexist with our gnupg2, which is apparently intertwined into enough things as to make uninstallation impossible. I think.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Golbez posted:

gnupg2 came with (I think, I didn't set this up) RHEL 6, and there's no official package of gnupg1 for that now, and we're having trouble getting a gnupg 1 we picked up elsewhere to coexist with our gnupg2, which is apparently intertwined into enough things as to make uninstallation impossible. I think.
Then you'll have to try the second suggestion, --passphrase-fd 0 should accept the password from the command line (I did some asking and apparently it's pretty commonly used as echo PASSPHRASE | gpg2 --passphrase-fd 0 ... to avoid the agent popup).

Unless PHP was doing some other magic, it should work.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

The Gripper posted:

Then you'll have to try the second suggestion, --passphrase-fd 0 should accept the password from the command line (I did some asking and apparently it's pretty commonly used as echo PASSPHRASE | gpg2 --passphrase-fd 0 ... to avoid the agent popup).

Unless PHP was doing some other magic, it should work.

So... instead of using the built-in gnupg functions, we simply pipe everything to an external program?

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Golbez posted:

So... instead of using the built-in gnupg functions, we simply pipe everything to an external program?
For some reason I was under the assumption PHP was just exec'ing gpg/gpg2, I must have been thinking of some other thing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

The Gripper posted:

For some reason I was under the assumption PHP was just exec'ing gpg/gpg2, I must have been thinking of some other thing.

It uses built in functions, like http://us.php.net/gnupg_adddecryptkey

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Golbez posted:

It uses built in functions, like http://us.php.net/gnupg_adddecryptkey
I didn't realise at first that they weren't a core part of PHP, but I looked into the PECL : gnupg package source afterwards and realised it uses GPGME.

I'm actually surprised that GPGME still pops up that pinentry prompt, since it's a library designed specifically for applications to interface with. That seems like a stupid as hell idea, kind of a hand-holding "no application developer can be trusted to do things right" attitude to it.

The solutions on their mailing list for "why on earth can't I just provide a passphrase you idiots" are all like this http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2007-April/030927.html

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 17, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I'm looping through wordpress posts and want a new line after every three posts.

Right now I have

code:
if( $postcount == 4 or $postcount == 7 ): 
//new line
How do I extend this for any number of posts? Is there a way to check if a number is one more than a multiple of 3?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Use modulus. It returns the remainder of the number of posts divided by 3 and if that is 1 we know that the post count is 1 greater than a multiple of 3.

code:
if($postcount % 3 == 1)
{
	//blah blah
}

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Perfect, thanks :)