Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Oodles posted:

Jesus, I thought engineers all had the same sense of humour.

Someone asked on r/engineering about what a girl should wear for an interview. I said nothing, to show she didn't have anything to hide.

Holy crap, they really can't take trolling over there. It's turning into tumblr

I hope you don't make the same jokes at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

bengk posted:

I'm going to be graduating in May and really want to get into the control engineering field.
I've done some projects using LabVIEW to create systems controlling some actuators and sensors.
What kind of skill set will companies be looking for?

I've been out of my old company for a bit but in chatting up the Controls guys programming pumps, sensors, valves, etc. think a lot was Python and I think C+(+?)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

bengk posted:

I'm going to be graduating in May and really want to get into the control engineering field.
I've done some projects using LabVIEW to create systems controlling some actuators and sensors.

Just get a job man. I&E tech, PLC tech, controls engineer etc. Just spam your resume like crazy, suck up a year or two of lovely rear end field work at 20 bucks an hour and you'll be fine. It's a great field to get into imho

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oodles posted:

Jesus, I thought engineers all had the same sense of humour.

Someone asked on r/engineering about what a girl should wear for an interview. I said nothing, to show she didn't have anything to hide.

Holy crap, they really can't take trolling over there. It's turning into tumblr

I thought it was funny.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So I've been in communication with this company since November for a Mechanical Engineering position in product development / design. So far I've done a phone interview, aptitude test, Skype interview with some of the engineers, was flown there two weeks ago to spend a day meeting everyone and was interviewed by the CEO and President, and just last week they gave me a design problem to work on.

I really hope I'm reaching the end of this process and they make a decision already.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Party Alarm posted:

So I've been in communication with this company since November for a Mechanical Engineering position in product development / design. So far I've done a phone interview, aptitude test, Skype interview with some of the engineers, was flown there two weeks ago to spend a day meeting everyone and was interviewed by the CEO and President, and just last week they gave me a design problem to work on.

I really hope I'm reaching the end of this process and they make a decision already.

Is this a test of how much poo poo you're willing to take and/or work you're willing to do for free? They already gave you an aptitude test. Tell them to start paying you for your time or to stop wasting it.

e: Look at your posts in this thread if you need more incentive to tell them to make a decision.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 24, 2015

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

johnny sack posted:

See if there are any 3rd party ISO 17025 calibration labs in your area.

Thanks for the advice. I've got a bit of time before my current teaching contract ends. There aren't any ISO calibration labs nearby here as all the labs in my area appear to be serviced out of Boston. I'm trying to avoid moving down there, but if push comes to shove you gotta do what you gotta do.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Frinkahedron posted:

I hope you don't make the same jokes at work.

Of course, I work in engineering. It's a man's industry. Tits, Beer, laaaaaaaaaads.

Of course not, don't be stupid. That's why I save my trolling and offensive statements for the Internet. But for fucks sake, what kind of child asks what to wear for an interview.

In a shocking on topic post, I've got my interview today for Chartership. I've got my 15 minute presentation, but I'm not looking forward to the 45 minutes of questions on my career.

Oodles fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 26, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You're right, gently caress 'em for not intuitively knowing what to wear for a work environment they've never been in

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Not a Children posted:

You're right, gently caress 'em for not intuitively knowing what to wear for a work environment they've never been in

you've done an engineering degree for between 3-5 years, you'll have a general idea of what lecturers/visiting industry people wear. Let alone what you've seen parents/general people around town wearing.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
ok nerdlinger

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Oodles posted:

you've done an engineering degree for between 3-5 years, you'll have a general idea of what lecturers/visiting industry people wear. Let alone what you've seen parents/general people around town wearing.

Also presumably a career center where you could just ask them. Hell, we even have some clothing store come by with professional clothing and sell it at a discount in a common area.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bengk posted:

I'm a bit late to replying to this but I cant say it enough. Find a job posting you want to have for a level 2-3 position. Do all the things you need to do to get up to that level.

A thing I have done that works awesome:
Sit and read whatever industry book on the subject is best reviewed on Amazon. Mention that book in your interview. Chances are someone will have it on their desk and think highly of it as a reference. Plus it means youre resourceful.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Thoguh posted:

Yeah. gently caress all those people who don't come from the same background and environment.

I'm about as big a hater on reddit as there is. And if somebody can't ask a question like that without getting trolled then I don't see any reason to change that stance. Yes, it is a stupid question to somebody who grew up knowing people in the industry,or to somebody with experience. But it is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for somebody who is nervous about an interview. Better to ask a stupid question and be sure than stay silent and show up either over or under dressed.

I agree with you, but I also want to add that as a newbie woman in an industry it is really hard to get a feel for what to wear that is also gender appropriate. As an EE in my province, I go to conferences and there's one other woman engineer there and generally she's just as green as I am and has no idea what to do.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Thoguh posted:

Yeah. gently caress all those people who don't come from the same background and environment.

I'm about as big a hater on reddit as there is. And if somebody can't ask a question like that without getting trolled then I don't see any reason to change that stance. Yes, it is a stupid question to somebody who grew up knowing people in the industry,or to somebody with experience. But it is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for somebody who is nervous about an interview. Better to ask a stupid question and be sure than stay silent and show up either over or under dressed.

Do many universities that give engineering degrees not have some sort of career center/group associated with the university? I just wouldn't trust reddit all that much to begin with, personally.

e: being sincere, very tired today so didn't think much about that possibility

Karl Sharks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 27, 2015

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

Do many universities that give engineering degrees not have some sort of career center/group associated with the university? I just wouldn't trust reddit all that much to begin with, personally.

e: being sincere, very tired today so didn't think much about that possibility

They can be quite unhelpful.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

Is this a test of how much poo poo you're willing to take and/or work you're willing to do for free? They already gave you an aptitude test. Tell them to start paying you for your time or to stop wasting it.

e: Look at your posts in this thread if you need more incentive to tell them to make a decision.

I can kinda understand them being thorough given the amount of responsibility I'd be entrusted with as someone fresh out of engineering school. They made it clear when I was over there they want someone that can immediately contribute.

Looks like the answer I gave them was up to snuff because they are contacting me about moving forward on the 3rd.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I find these positions that have a billion interviews and tests really weird. Like if you're so paranoid about the vetting process why aren't you directly involved with a local university or something?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm not sure what the correlation is, but it's been my experience that companies with elaborate interview processes generally tend to treat their employees like poo poo.

And expecting you to jump right into the thick of things as a new grad is a red flag imo.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I think they are involved with local universities. They just don't often find people that fit what they are looking for from what I've been told.

Well, they were looking for someone with a few years of experience but I have a lot of very valuable experience I obtained outside of school thus far. I've worked with an aftermarket automotive company and designed some products for them as an internship of sorts. I was the only one there with any engineering education, so I pretty much worked alone seeing some things from concept -> manufacture.

I can share the job posting if you guys want to pick through it. I had some concerns initially but they were all alleviated when I visited. They treat their employees pretty great from what I saw.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Am I the only guy getting stuck with new hire wee-a-boos or is it just me? I'm only 30 but getting a tad aggravated by the younger new hires.

One fucker is riding his father's coat tails, I asked him to do something and he delegated it to someone else. He and I are going to have a talk when he gets back. "Hey rear end in a top hat this is your loving responsibility, not X's. If you don't know how to do it, ask, that is fine. Don't pawn it onto someone else who is your senior, who is busy, when you're dicking around on facebook."

Fucker #2 is okay when he's not making the most crass base jokes known to man. Dead baby jokes? Rape jokes? Gay jokes? Check check check. I really want to just knock his rear end out sometimes.

New guy #3 I have not really had to deal with too much. Maybe he's got some PTSD or ADD being a former Iraq vet, but I can tune him out more than #2. A bit odd but hopefully in a few weeks he'll be manageable. He aggravates the poo poo out of #2 but I think it'll be okay cause it'll teach #2 some god drat patience. He did commit a couple of social faux paus when out drinking with the department on Saturday. Refused to chip into the beer fund or physically bring the beer but had no problems drinking from it.

I swear too few people know when to shut up and listen, especially before they speak.

So here is the biggest piece of advice to you fresh young college graduates:
1. Ask questions when you have them pertaining to work.
2. Don't eavesdrop or interrupt conversations unless you know the parties involved.
3. LISTEN before you speak.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Party Alarm posted:

I can share the job posting if you guys want to pick through it. I had some concerns initially but they were all alleviated when I visited. They treat their employees pretty great from what I saw.

Hey Congratulations man. If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'm kind of curious what the assessment was like.

Senor P. posted:

Am I the only guy getting stuck with new hire wee-a-boos or is it just me? I'm only 30 but getting a tad aggravated by the younger new hires.

So no dead baby jokes and try to buy my own beer around people that just gave me a job? Wow I'm going to do great!

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

The Royal Scrub posted:

So no dead baby jokes and try to buy my own beer around people that just gave me a job? Wow I'm going to do great!

The really tricky part is not spending six hours of your workday on Facebook. That right there practically makes you management material.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

quote:

actively seeking a talented Mechanical Engineer that enjoys problem solving. Applicants should have a strong engineering background with a good understanding of mechanical and electrical fundamentals.

The ideal applicant will be a generalist with a solid understanding of physics and dynamics and should be able to integrate electric motors and physical sensors into electromechanical systems. Applicant will be responsible for a broadrange of mechanical engineering and multi-disciplinary tasks. Typical assignments will include the execution of design, analysis, and integration at the system and component level

Ideal Candidate Capabilities and Skills

Development of complex systems with interaction across multiple engineering disciplines
Advanced knowledge/skills in CAD modeling using a major software package (e.g., SolidWorks, ProE, UG-NX, or CATIA V5)
Reading and interpreting engineering specifications
Developing and modifying top level system architecture
Structural design, analysis, and optimization
Generate detailed design and technical drawings of systems, components, and interfaces
Engineering support of component manufacturing and build activities
Technical input into vehicle level and sub-system trades
Engineering support of development testing
Analysis and interpretation of test data
Exposure to prototype manufacturing techniques. Understanding of casting, forging, and general manufacturing processes
Experience performing structural analysis using FEA software
Experience with ANSI/ISO/ASQ Q9000 or equivalent quality system
Presentation of results and recommendations to internal team and external customers
Excellent verbal and written communications skills
Work collaboratively across multiple engineering disciplines
Experience in rapid prototyping of electromechanical systems from concepts to functional prototypes is a plus

Required Attributes

BS in engineering required, MS or higher preferred
US Citizenship or Permanent Resident
Minimum 2years of direct engineering experience within the automotive industry and/or engineering services is beneficial
Must be a generalist with involvement in systems level design and experience working in a cross-functional engineering team
Broad understanding of automotive systems and current technologies
Understanding of complex systems modeling and how it can be applied to optimize vehicle systems
Experience using MS Office tools
Ability to apply GD&T to component designs and assemblies per ASME Y14.5-1994
Ability to multi-task and demonstrate attention to quality, timing, awareness of budget constraints, and other program management considerations
Enjoy working in a startup type of engineering environment

Business was founded in 2010. Founders came from an engineering firm that did primarily military contracts. They saw it grow from a small <10 person operation to >100. The owners sold it when it got big, and they didn't like the work environment anymore so they started their own firm. Current'y they've got 20-30 employees, mostly engineers.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Senor P. posted:

One fucker is riding his father's coat tails, I asked him to do something and he delegated it to someone else. He and I are going to have a talk when he gets back. "Hey rear end in a top hat this is your loving responsibility, not X's. If you don't know how to do it, ask, that is fine. Don't pawn it onto someone else who is your senior, who is busy, when you're dicking around on facebook."

I've had three Co-Op/Interns like this. They tried delegating back to full time employees stuff that I assigned. In front of me. I almost lost my poo poo. All three of them also at one point said to me without any hint of irony 'The work you gave me is boring, can I do something else?'
What are you loving serious? On your $30/hr coop position? One guy when I said no, elevated his concern on his own volition not to just manager level, but general manager. When other coops say something egregious they can see my eyes widen and smoke come out of my nose and quickly apologize. These guys would just stare blankly and repeat the question as if I didn't hear it.

They were all from India too, I hope it was just something with them, and not a cultural thing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

I've had three Co-Op/Interns like this. They tried delegating back to full time employees stuff that I assigned. In front of me. I almost lost my poo poo. All three of them also at one point said to me without any hint of irony 'The work you gave me is boring, can I do something else?'
What are you loving serious? On your $30/hr coop position? One guy when I said no, elevated his concern on his own volition not to just manager level, but general manager. When other coops say something egregious they can see my eyes widen and smoke come out of my nose and quickly apologize. These guys would just stare blankly and repeat the question as if I didn't hear it.

They were all from India too, I hope it was just something with them, and not a cultural thing.

Really makes me angry when I hear about interns who just blow off their duties. I would kill for a position like that, and these jokers just get it handed to them while the rest of us struggle to find anything.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I worked with a summer student that I had to tell him to stop throwing rocks at the other one. Also I had to throw out a bunch of bubble wrap because he wouldn't stop popping it in the other one's ear.

They did their work, but man, at what cost?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I did a paid internship at university (research assistant), one of the guys was a foreign exchange student from Brazil and I only ever saw him once or twice in the ~3 months that I worked in the shared room. That one time, he practically begged for my help with something pretty trivial. loving lazy freeloaders.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
When I first came in to the research lab I've been working at, our first meeting it was readily apparent that everyone had spent the last month watching the world cup instead of working. I helped turn it around and the prof I work under has done a crapload of awesome things for me in return.

Sucks when people waste good opportunities. Because of that research work I'm getting recognized with an award at graduation, got payed a lot of money, and have access to some great references

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I came out of bioengineering/bioinformatics
yes, neither of those are "real" engineering, please end all related comments with :goonsay:

Ended up just becoming a programmer, even though I was working in a half-programming half-bioeng lab in school.
The pay is good, the job is relatively easy, quiet, and fun.
But I had to do a lot of catch up in the first couple years regarding programming standards like libraries, APIs, etc compared to some of my colleagues who have clearly been programming since they were child.

I think while every engineering field have very different knowledge requirements, the people who are good are cut from similar cloth. It's always a person who enjoy tinkering with something until it works and have a personal drive to perfect it in their eyes. Turning a minor personality quirk like OCD into productivity.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Senor P. posted:

I think even quite self-aware students/graduates start out pretty square, I know I was despite being mostly timid and reserved when I started work. It's not until now that I've gotten some experience under my belt and had to deal with one of the shittier newbies (most of our hires are really great, idk how this guy got through) that I've gotten some perspective. Most of the time it's just youth and the inexperience of what is (often) a first job and will wear off. It can also be hard to self-motivate on more menial and boring tasks - my productivity has skyrocketed compared to my first year as I've since gained more responsibility and been assigned to challenging projects.

The best thing that can happen to these people is for someone in their peer group who is of a similar age to go "hey this isn't how we act around here" but that depends very much on company culture. Perhaps call them out on their worst behaviour directly (rape jokes are rightly going to do reputation and career damage, save him from himself) but take a more measured and patient approach for stuff that will just wear off.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
How can one find out what is the going market rate for salaries? My wife is a mechanical engineer with 3 years experience at a big defense company, and we are looking to relocate to st Louis. It's very hard to tell anything at all from glassdoor or googling.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Party Alarm posted:

When I first came in to the research lab I've been working at, our first meeting it was readily apparent that everyone had spent the last month watching the world cup instead of working. I helped turn it around and the prof I work under has done a crapload of awesome things for me in return.

Sucks when people waste good opportunities. Because of that research work I'm getting recognized with an award at graduation, got payed a lot of money, and have access to some great references

tbf to those people, the last world cup was loving great.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
A whole month with no work done and full timesheets is pretty egregious though

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Doghouse posted:

How can one find out what is the going market rate for salaries? My wife is a mechanical engineer with 3 years experience at a big defense company, and we are looking to relocate to st Louis. It's very hard to tell anything at all from glassdoor or googling.

If you're able to tough it out, you can test around by getting multiple offers. Unfortunately, the no-salary-sharing mentality of America is too entrenched to do it any other way if glassdoor doesn't have enough data, to the detriment of workers everywhere.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

bengk posted:

aerospace industry.

Stay away unless you are OK with working stupid amounts of hours and getting paid 20%--- below market average in other industries, worrying about constant layoffs, extremely slow career progression, decreasing benefits, and (in most cases) working on dated technology because of the risk-adverse and cost-sensitive nature of the business. You can ignore this if you get in with the right defense contractor, but you're at the mercy of congress then.

Wishing I had gone into literally any other industry. There are too many cons to aerospace. You get to work on cool poo poo but hell, there is a lot of cool poo poo in this world that you will get treated right designing and building.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

mitztronic posted:

Stay away unless you are OK with working stupid amounts of hours and getting paid 20%--- below market average in other industries, worrying about constant layoffs, extremely slow career progression, decreasing benefits, and (in most cases) working on dated technology because of the risk-adverse and cost-sensitive nature of the business. You can ignore this if you get in with the right defense contractor, but you're at the mercy of congress then.

Wishing I had gone into literally any other industry. There are too many cons to aerospace. You get to work on cool poo poo but hell, there is a lot of cool poo poo in this world that you will get treated right designing and building.

I'm at a top 4 aerospace company and I have to agree and disagree. I am a Quality Engineer.

I find work load to be very balanced, BUT, as a Quality Engineer not supporting operations I'm in the sweet spot of never getting pushed. Too early on (Supply Chain) and people are always scrambling to bring things in early. Too late in the process (Ops/Manufacturing) and you are working weekends to sell off the jet/radar/submarine.

Money for entry level was/is very generous and if you can get in at Sr. Manager that ain't bad either, but bonuses, raises, and promotions are incredibly stagnant as growth is slow, there is a lot of infrastructure to support, and there are a whole hell of a lot of senior citizens holding on to positions and taking up essentially the entire middle of the ladder.

Benefits are getting worse, lay offs do happen(but if you get by you could still have a lifetime of employment), but I find it also really easy to excel. I'm not a genius, but I consistently step out of my comfort zone and don't bs 20 hours a week and an opportunities have been rolling for me for about 2 years now including a desirable short term international assignment that I never would of dreamed of. (I caveat with desirable because it's also really easy to be on the wrong end of the stick and be voluntold to go to a country labeled as a work hazard)

That being said, I'm still working on my exit plan! I just think these days staying stagnant in industry and expertise is a death wish. Tides are turning faster than ever and everyone should be planning on keeping themselves growing.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm transitioning in my current job out of Electromagnetics. I get new trade magazines every month but they literally haven't changed in 5 years, you could reprint those. Everything is getting replaced with solid state CMOS and none of the old standbys are adapting or changing and it feels kind of nuts. Why are they still advertising huge rear end 19" rack amplifiers that you can buy mostly on a single chip from TI or AD? Who is going to buy them other than legacy system users who they probably still have on their speed dial? (I'd be surprised if they don't use a rolo-dex)

I feel pretty lucky to be in a general research position and can move away from that easily but its kind of depressing just to see an industry age and die in such a short time period like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Doghouse posted:

Although it is not a direct salary number, comparing the cost of living of the area using a tool like CNN's will at least let you have a rough idea by scaling her current salary appropriately.

When I was searching for a job, glassdoor was super useful as a source of information, but the last time I looked at salary information for my company the data was problematic and did not match up well with salary grade information that I know.