Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Speaking of the Naos 7000, Massdrop for $40 + S&H: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/mionix-naos-7000?mode=guest_open

Note that the estimated ship date isn't until Oct 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Welp, Zowie won't replace my mouse. However, they said it might be the tension spring causing me issues.

How likely is it for someone who's never repaired a mouse to break inside it and make an adjustment without leaving any permanent damage?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

taqueso posted:

I find it hard to believe that 1) any mouse uses the cheapest switches, because the cheapest switches are so crap the mouse would last like a week or 2) that there isn't a mouse company using nice switches that are rated for millions of clicks.

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. I just replaced a Logitch G5 that I've had for like 12 years, and the buttons on it are absolutely fine. In fact I've never worn out the buttons on a mouse, and I do this stupid compulsive thing where I repeatedly quickly drag-select whatever block of text I'm reading at the time, so I'm literally constantly clicking even when I'm not actively using my mouse.

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 23, 2015

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

taqueso posted:

I find it hard to believe that 1) any mouse uses the cheapest switches, because the cheapest switches are so crap the mouse would last like a week or 2) that there isn't a mouse company using nice switches that are rated for millions of clicks.
1) I agree
2) Look at Zowie, no frills but strong quality is what they do and they're mostly marketing to competitive gamers and pro gamers. Anecdotally having tried a few zowie mice, both brand new and well-used, the switches in em just FEEL a lot better to me than any others I've used. If there aren't any Zowie mice you like I don't really know what to tell you. Probably just get logitech for the generally easy and fast RMA process.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

FK is still the most comfortable mouse I've used since my ancient intellimouse. I tried a slew of others, but I keep going back to the FK.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

El Scotch posted:

FK is still the most comfortable mouse I've used since my ancient intellimouse. I tried a slew of others, but I keep going back to the FK.
High five buddy. I have an FK2, same shape as FK with updated sensor. I also used an old intellimouse 1.1a for years back in the day and this FK2 is the first mouse since then that I've liked as much. I was using a sensei raw when I got a chance to try a friends FK, I used it for about ten seconds before knowing I wanted one.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

1) I agree
2) Look at Zowie, no frills but strong quality is what they do and they're mostly marketing to competitive gamers and pro gamers. Anecdotally having tried a few zowie mice, both brand new and well-used, the switches in em just FEEL a lot better to me than any others I've used. If there aren't any Zowie mice you like I don't really know what to tell you. Probably just get logitech for the generally easy and fast RMA process.

Zowie switches feel different because they're Huano and not Omron, making them one of the very few companies to not be using the same switches basically everyone else does.

I would be tempted to try another Zowie mouse but I had a bad experience with the original FK model I used, and they just don't have the kind of feature set I'm looking for in general. Namely, finer native DPI steps + customization, and profile support + button mappings.

G502 + Naos 7000 are still doing great for me though, I've been tempted to replace my work mouse (WMO 1.1) for a while but I'm on the fence as to what to replace it with.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So if I'm picking between the G602, the MX Master and the G700s, which would you guys say is the best choice?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So if I'm picking between the G602, the MX Master and the G700s, which would you guys say is the best choice?

Do you game at all? If yes, do not get the Master.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Do you game at all? If yes, do not get the Master.

I do a bit, why is the master bad on that front?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I do a bit, why is the master bad on that front?

Noticeable among of input lag in my experience, amplified by any latency in your monitor.

Not bad for most uses, but any fast paced gaming will make you fell very disconnected from the actions.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Noticeable among of input lag in my experience, amplified by any latency in your monitor.

Not bad for most uses, but any fast paced gaming will make you fell very disconnected from the actions.

That's a shame, its easily the better looking of my three choices right now. Any thoughts on the 700s vs the 602?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

That's a shame, its easily the better looking of my three choices right now. Any thoughts on the 700s vs the 602?

I have a 700s. Feels good and grippy in the hand (the grip surface is nearly gritty, but it feels nice). More than enough buttons. Sometimes I wish for more thumb buttons, so I think about getting a 602 a lot, but never do.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I can tell you about the 602 which I got. The battery life is insane going on 2+ months without having to change them. Playing low precision games like MMOs and aRPGs is fine in endurance mode although fast paced twitch games might need to use the performance mode. The extra thumb buttons are really useful for MMOs since I can use them for extra modifiers and other keybinds that I normally wouldn't use in a keyboard and its pretty comfortable in my tiny hands. Its taken a few falls and keeps working fine.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

My G9X finally broke and apparently they don't sell those anymore, so I'm shopping for a new mouse. I actually bought a Corsair M65 but had to return it cause with its larger size and heavier weight it felt uncomfortable and actually made my hand hurt after prolonged use

Now I'm just using a cheap $20 one that seemed comfortable enough until I can find something I like, as I'm way too OCD about my mouse's shape and texture. Why'd you discontinue the G9, logitech? :arghfist::saddowns:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is probably a dumb question: can I just buy a second Logitech unifying receiver and bounce a single mouse between two laptops? Is it annoying to switch it over?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HEY NONG MAN posted:

This is probably a dumb question: can I just buy a second Logitech unifying receiver and bounce a single mouse between two laptops? Is it annoying to switch it over?

Yes, it's annoying to switch over on a regular basis. You run a utility, which takes about 30 seconds each time, and requires you to to turn off / turn on the mouse.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Wasabi the J posted:

Worse than the MX Revolution (if you ever had one)?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Some mice like the MX Master / MX Anywhere 2 actually support quick-switching up to 3 sources (either the reciever or bluetooth), but they're a bit pricey.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Speaking of the Master, is there any way to enable vertical scrolling on the thumb wheel? I like it much more than the normal scroll wheel.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Neo_Crimson posted:

Speaking of the Master, is there any way to enable vertical scrolling on the thumb wheel? I like it much more than the normal scroll wheel.

Can you set what the output of the thumb wheel is? If you can pick two discrete keystrokes for each direction, this would be a real simple script for AutoHotKey. (If not, it's a bit more complex — you would have to capture the mouse input and then debug from there)

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 28, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Are Verbatim mice any good for normal office use? I'd like to get my wife a purple mouse for a present. She doesn't want fancy DPI shifting, extra buttons, etc. I just want something functional that won't break after a few months, is wireless, and has nice aesthetics.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ynglaur posted:

Yes, it's annoying to switch over on a regular basis. You run a utility, which takes about 30 seconds each time, and requires you to to turn off / turn on the mouse.

That's what I figured.

I'm looking for a decent wireless mouse to use for on-the-go. I've had limited experience with the Microsoft Arc mouse and it seems ok. I like the ability to flatten it to save space when it's in the bag for travel. Anyone have a go-to recommendation for a small mouse with scroll wheel and perhaps fourth/fifth button functionality? Budget is $60.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I ordered one of these recently but it has not arrived yet, is the input lag affected by using the unifying adapter rather than bluetooth?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have zero issues with my MX Master. Faster than my M705 Marathon, and feels the same as my Intellimouse wired mouse.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I've been playing games with the MX Master just fine. Maybe I'm not sensitive to the laser sensor's always-on acceleration, but I can't say I notice any input lag. If you're sensitive to acceleration you probably want a "gamer" mouse but I can't bring myself to have another mouse just to play games.

I use the unifying receiver, not bluetooth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Macropiper posted:

I ordered one of these recently but it has not arrived yet, is the input lag affected by using the unifying adapter rather than bluetooth?

Felt about the same but I don't have bluetooth 4.0 on my computer, so YMMV?

Geirskogul posted:

I have zero issues with my MX Master. Faster than my M705 Marathon, and feels the same as my Intellimouse wired mouse.

It's a very lovely mouse, loving perfect for 99% of uses, but if you play any game where mouse movement needs to be twitchy, you'll feel like you're moving a half-a-second late; I have a monitor that has some inherent latency as well, so that will exaggerate everything.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eh, the games I play are:

KSP
Skyrim
GTAV
Shadow of Mordor
Elite: Dangerous
Talos Principle
Mad Max
Rocket League (but mainly with a controller)

and things like that. Even though I play the occasional UT2k4 match, nothing is really "twitch," so maybe I'm not the right gauge. What would be "twitch"? League of Legends and other stuff like that? I don't understand those games.

I do use the MX Master a lot for Solidworks use, and it combined with a 3DConnexion puck and my CM Cherry MX Green keyboard is pure heaven as far as I'm concerned.

E: I use a unifying receiver buried somewhere under the desk.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Geirskogul posted:

What would be "twitch"? League of Legends and other stuff like that? I don't understand those games.

I can't imagine playing any multiplayer FPS with acceleration on. I'm surprised you don't feel it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I have to lift my wrist from the table I hate everything :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Slowhanded posted:

I can't imagine playing any multiplayer FPS with acceleration on. I'm surprised you don't feel it.

The brain can correct for a lot of things. It seems natural if you're used to it. My trackball has inbuilt acceleration, which I actually like a lot since it allows me to make fine adjustments or large flings depending on how fast I move the ball.

Unless you're an esports serious player with thousands of hours in specific movements to build that muscle memory intentionally, I think acceleration is a good thing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the hell does this mean?

quote:

The FK is an ambidextrous mouse with a \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ grip, contrary to the AM that has a /\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ gripping style.

Also why are these mice so expensive? 60 harry potter dollars is like over a hundred bucks. They look cool and maybe it's just good parts, but they look like pretty straight forward standard mice. When I think of expensive mice, I think of one of those hosed up things that look like an aborted Autobot or some lumpy design made to fit the hand of some gorilla.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 30, 2015

breaks
May 12, 2001

The bottom of the AM is flared outward in a / \ shape, whereas the bottom of the FK is comes inward in a \ / shape. There's some other kind of subtle shape differences too. I think the FK is a little shorter for example. The AM is kind of old at this point and I don't think they've updated it in a while. I'm not sure if you can even buy it anymore?

Zowie's whole shtick is making gaming mice without all the bling, so that's why they seem plain. Their prices tend to be on the high side of the gaming mouse range, but an FK2 should be around $65 USD, it's not outrageously more than an equivalent Logitech or Roccat or Mionix or whatever.

If price is a concern and you want an ambidextrous mouse look at the G100s, you can find a better mouse for sure but it's Good Enough and like 25 bucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

breaks posted:

The bottom of the AM is flared outward in a / \ shape, whereas the bottom of the FK is comes inward in a \ / shape. There's some other kind of subtle shape differences too. I think the FK is a little shorter for example. The AM is kind of old at this point and I don't think they've updated it in a while. I'm not sure if you can even buy it anymore?

Zowie's whole shtick is making gaming mice without all the bling, so that's why they seem plain. Their prices tend to be on the high side of the gaming mouse range, but an FK2 should be around $65 USD, it's not outrageously more than an equivalent Logitech or Roccat or Mionix or whatever.

If price is a concern and you want an ambidextrous mouse look at the G100s, you can find a better mouse for sure but it's Good Enough and like 25 bucks.

To be honest I just really like black+yellow aesthetics. Ambidextrous though might be trouble, in my experience those buttons tend to get pressed whenever you dont want them to

breaks
May 12, 2001

The FKs have left/right modes that disable the side buttons on the non-thumb side, so it's not a problem unless the buttons just being there inactive bothers you.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Today is the day I finally get to see if my newly arrived Mionix Sargas 900:

Can best the 90 SQAT score of the reigning champion:

Can't wait to get home to see the results.

Serious content: I am really loving the Naos 7000. The software (beyond the gimmicky SQAT thing) is super lightweight and easy to use and the shape itself feels fantastic in the hand.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

So what's the verdict on the Sensei Wireless? I know how much it costs, I don't give a poo poo

I'm left handed, play games, and want a wireless mouse. Is there a better option?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
My Logitech G400 is starting to fail. What is the closest mouse in terms of design/feel as I'm currently searching and can't find the successor to my current model?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Haeleus posted:

My Logitech G400 is starting to fail. What is the closest mouse in terms of design/feel as I'm currently searching and can't find the successor to my current model?

It just might be the one named "G402". Maybe. We can't be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone have a recommendation for a wired mouse for someone who's only going to be using left click, right click and mouse wheel scroll/click? Looking in stores for wireds I couldn't find any middle ground between $5 piece of poo poo and $100 Sniper Ninja Xtreme. I tried the former and the right click is hosed up after about an hour of use. Something that doesn't light up is a plus.