Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

OK, flashing to the newest nightly didn't fix the flash. I wiped the cache before flashing, but I couldn't find anything labelled "dalvik".

Is there a different rom for the mt3gs that might be more suitable? Otherwise, no flash isn't too huge a dealbreaker, though it's a bummer when she goes out with friends and they want to take all those "let's smile at the camera in a huddle" pictures girls like to do.
Thing is, a search of the xda thread and my experience says that shouldn't be an issue.

Also wipe Dalvik is under Advanced for some reason in Clockwork Recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LastInLine posted:

Thing is, a search of the xda thread and my experience says that shouldn't be an issue.

Also wipe Dalvik is under Advanced for some reason in Clockwork Recovery.

I only have the free version of Clockwork so no advanced options. I couldn't find anything on XDA about the issue either.

Also, her battery is rapidly draining and the phone is really hot since I went up to the nightly, so I'm going back to 7.0.3 stable.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

mobn posted:

I only have the free version of Clockwork so no advanced options. I couldn't find anything on XDA about the issue either.
You have to boot directly into Recovery to find the advanced option he's talking about. Doing things through ROM Manager is actually fairly restrictive when all's said & done.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Doing things through ROM Manager is actually fairly restrictive when all's said & done.

In what way?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ProjektorBoy posted:

You have to boot directly into Recovery to find the advanced option he's talking about. Doing things through ROM Manager is actually fairly restrictive when all's said & done.

I don't see anything about "dalvik" in the advanced menu in recovery either. Just the regular cache.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

In what way?
Maybe I'm just completely paranoid about the process of swapping ROMs. While you can tell ROM Manager to reboot into recovery, its automated option to install a different ROM doesn't feel right to me. I want to ensure that all requisite wipes have been done before a new ROM is flashed in.

mobn posted:

I don't see anything about "dalvik" in the advanced menu in recovery either. Just the regular cache.

I'd check to see if there's an updated CWM made for your phone. It's got slight variations for each device, but the Advanced section should have something resembling this

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Maybe I'm just completely paranoid about the process of swapping ROMs. While you can tell ROM Manager to reboot into recovery, its automated option to install a different ROM doesn't feel right to me. I want to ensure that all requisite wipes have been done before a new ROM is flashed in.

You're being paranoid. Every ROM Manager command is a recovery command. You even see them being done. You're OG enough to be comfortable with recovery operation so that's fine but i assure you ROM Manager is very convenient and reliable.

Its even got options for multiple zip flashes in a single go. :)

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Holy poo poo getting CM7 on this Nook is frustrating.

Step 1: Prepare a MicroSD card to boot the Nook Color into Clockworkmod recovery. Put the CM7 and gapps or other rom of your choice on it.
Step 2: Boot the Nook Color into Clockworkmod recovery from the MicroSD card.
Step 3: Do a Nandroid backup of the stock rom.
Step 4: Format system, cache, data, etc. manually.
Step 5: Install the new rom from clockwork. For CM 7, install gapps, too.
Step 6: Remove the SD card and reboot.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ProjektorBoy posted:

I'd check to see if there's an updated CWM made for your phone. It's got slight variations for each device, but the Advanced section should have something resembling this

Yeah, I don't have that option in advanced. It looks like the version of Clockwork on the market is old though, so that may be it.

Either way, she's happy with it on 7.0.3 without the flash working, and she wants me to just leave it alone now, so :shrug:.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sizzlechest posted:

Step 1: Prepare a MicroSD card to boot the Nook Color into Clockworkmod recovery. Put the CM7 and gapps or other rom of your choice on it.
Step 2: Boot the Nook Color into Clockworkmod recovery from the MicroSD card.
Step 3: Do a Nandroid backup of the stock rom.
Step 4: Format system, cache, data, etc. manually.
Step 5: Install the new rom from clockwork. For CM 7, install gapps, too.
Step 6: Remove the SD card and reboot.

Hmm yup, that's exactly what I've been doing, with not one but two NC's now. The only other idea I can come up with is maybe it's an issue with my MicroSD card (running CM7 off the card is like a 10 second lag whenever it writes a file) or an issue with the NC being that new "Blue Dot" partitioning scheme but that's not supposed to be a problem. I'll try with a "quality" SD card and see what happens.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Hmm yup, that's exactly what I've been doing, with not one but two NC's now. The only other idea I can come up with is maybe it's an issue with my MicroSD card (running CM7 off the card is like a 10 second lag whenever it writes a file) or an issue with the NC being that new "Blue Dot" partitioning scheme but that's not supposed to be a problem. I'll try with a "quality" SD card and see what happens.

Oh, you're running CM off the SD card instead of flashing it? Don't. If you must run it from a SD card, only use sandisk cards. Don't get caught up in "class" ratings.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Something is keeping my phone awake and draining the battery, is there a way to see what apps are doing it?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you're running gingerbread just go into the settings-> battery-> battery usage might give you a rough idea.

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Sizzlechest posted:

Oh, you're running CM off the SD card instead of flashing it? Don't. If you must run it from a SD card, only use sandisk cards. Don't get caught up in "class" ratings.

I thought you decided to go with emmc? It would be my recomendation as well, also it seems I ran across a script on xda where you could easy peasy one step flash back to stock 1.2 with clockwork intact or stock out of the box, if that was your concern. If you elect to dual boot off the card, sorry, I haven't gone there....yet, as it stands now nothings broke on my Nookie so i'm gettin' kinda bored :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1050520

This is true! Sandisk seems to have the greatest success with Nooks, (fwiw internal memory on PCB is sandisk) however i'm using PNY 8gig class 6 ($14 on sale woohoo!) without problems. Format your card using Windows, if no joy grab a Sandisk card, if your in a hurry and in the US Fred Meyer carries Sandisk.

This is the method I used to get CM nightlys on the emmc (blue dot), super simple worked the first time without any problems whatsoever, took about 10 minutes. Also I would recommend you leave the internal partitions alone even though you'll have 1gig of unusable space, your life will be so much better in the event you have to flash back to stock.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1030227

I realize there's alot of hate around here for xda, but if you can wade through the crap there is lots of vauable info, and pretty much any problem you might have has already been figured out! Git yer boots on and go lol :)

edit/ link and spelling

potentiometer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 6, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Ashex posted:

Something is keeping my phone awake and draining the battery, is there a way to see what apps are doing it?

Also try downloading Spare Parts from the Market and checking partial wake usage.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Penguissimo posted:

Also try downloading Spare Parts from the Market and checking partial wake usage.

Spare Parts' "Battery History" tab is completely broken and just force closes on all gingerbread builds I believe? That's how it's been on every rom I've used on my Incredible at least, maybe it's just this device. Huge pain in the rear end because I usually see ~400ma drain on my phone using Synergy even in airplane mode all the time and cannot for the life of me track it down, but if Battery History in SP worked I'm almost certain finding out what it is would be insanely simple.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Baram posted:

Spare Parts' "Battery History" tab is completely broken and just force closes on all gingerbread builds I believe? That's how it's been on every rom I've used on my Incredible at least, maybe it's just this device. Huge pain in the rear end because I usually see ~400ma drain on my phone using Synergy even in airplane mode all the time and cannot for the life of me track it down, but if Battery History in SP worked I'm almost certain finding out what it is would be insanely simple.
It works and has always worked on my N1 running CM7.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008
So I've been having a minor annoyance that's gotten more annoying in the past week: screen sensitivity.

Summary: screen sensitivity is all hosed up, Evo 4g, CM7/MIUI, hardware issue?

I've got an Evo 4G that I picked up just over a year ago and occasionally the lock screen would seize up or a touch wouldn't register but now it's gotten ridiculous. When I type the keyboard only registers about 3 key presses every 2 seconds and Swype will segment often enough to make nonsense paragraphs when the trail isn't getting stuck on the right hand side between P and backspace.

The lock screen will gently caress up and other presses don't register well/at all most of the time now too, mostly occurring on the right side of the screen.

I'm concerned that it's more of a hardware issue since this happens both in MIUI and CM7.1 RC-1 and the tiny, tiny chip in the corner will make Sprint squawk about "user damage" and "insurance not covering it" or "$100 deductible" but I know original Evos had screen issues from day 1.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Make a Nandroid, flash back to the rooted OTA update and check usability?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Baram posted:

I've been using Spare Parts on an Inc running CM since the day I bought it and never had any trouble. Really not sure what's going on with yours, sorry.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

I dunno about CM7 but partial wake usage doesn't work on most gingerbread builds afaik. I found a program called betterbatterystats on xda which shows partial wakelocks and has helped enormously, it's now available on the market but there's probably still a free version on the forums somewhere.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

Make a Nandroid, flash back to the rooted OTA update and check usability?

So I flashed back to rooted stock and ran the screen calibration (isn't that unnecessary with a capacitive screen?) and the accelerometer calibration but it doesn't seem to do much from how it looks. Where is the usability check?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yakadan posted:

So I flashed back to rooted stock and ran the screen calibration (isn't that unnecessary with a capacitive screen?) and the accelerometer calibration but it doesn't seem to do much from how it looks. Where is the usability check?

Not sure about your other questions, but I believe the calibration is so the keyboard can adapt to your typing style (i.e. if you tend to hit above the space bar, it will invisibly increase the "hit zone" for the space bar upwards) rather than any kind of hardware calibration. It doesn't apply to anything other than the HTC Sense keyboard.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, finally figured out the Nook. gently caress PNY. Their lovely MicroSD cards, the only brand sold in Best Buy for some reason, are to blame for failing to flash the NC correctly. I used a SanDisk brand 1gb and it went off fine.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
The NC is really really picky about sd cards, I feel pretty lucky random Amazon card worked. Glad it all worked out.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I think it's the gingersense roms that break spare parts on the inc. I did run cm7 for a little when it was just rolling out gingerbread but don't recall if it worked there, probably though. If I try using "spare parts plus" from the market instead of FCing it spits out an error saying "Could not find battery stats activity in your rom!" so I think it just isn't supported. I'll try and find that "betterbatterystats" on xda that was mentioned though.

e: of course, it's a paid app and doesn't show up on the market for me.

e2: grabbed it off the market site.

baram. fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 7, 2011

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Codiusprime posted:

The NC is really really picky about sd cards, I feel pretty lucky random Amazon card worked. Glad it all worked out.

Are you goons getting gapps to work? I got nothing, but maybe its my SD card.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Yakadan posted:

So I've been having a minor annoyance that's gotten more annoying in the past week: screen sensitivity.

Summary: screen sensitivity is all hosed up, Evo 4g, CM7/MIUI, hardware issue?

I've got an Evo 4G that I picked up just over a year ago and occasionally the lock screen would seize up or a touch wouldn't register but now it's gotten ridiculous. When I type the keyboard only registers about 3 key presses every 2 seconds and Swype will segment often enough to make nonsense paragraphs when the trail isn't getting stuck on the right hand side between P and backspace.

The lock screen will gently caress up and other presses don't register well/at all most of the time now too, mostly occurring on the right side of the screen.

I'm concerned that it's more of a hardware issue since this happens both in MIUI and CM7.1 RC-1 and the tiny, tiny chip in the corner will make Sprint squawk about "user damage" and "insurance not covering it" or "$100 deductible" but I know original Evos had screen issues from day 1.

Anyone have any ideas?

I got another evo recently with the $100 deductable and the screen sensitivity issue was surprisingly the same before rooting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Isaac Asimov posted:

Are you goons getting gapps to work? I got nothing, but maybe its my SD card.

I tried the Market with Phiremod MIUI v2 and it just asked for my Google login and worked without a hitch.

Yakadan
Aug 1, 2008

Isaac Asimov posted:

I got another evo recently with the $100 deductable and the screen sensitivity issue was surprisingly the same before rooting.

Well that's disconcerting. I guess I'll just hold off on a new phone until my upgrade in May or when something cheap enough is on craigslist to alleviate this. Thanks everybody.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I tried the Market with Phiremod MIUI v2 and it just asked for my Google login and worked without a hitch.

I flashed a cm nightly and a different gapps and now everything works beautifully :)

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wow, MIUI is loving sexy on the Evo3D's qHD screen and runs smooth as butter. Too bad it's super double plus alpha and barely anything works.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

Wow, MIUI is loving sexy on the Evo3D's qHD screen and runs smooth as butter. Too bad it's super double plus alpha and barely anything works.

Have a link? I wouldn't mind trying it out as a preview.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Krittick posted:

Have a link? I wouldn't mind trying it out as a preview.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1251857

Supposedly networking kinda works if you flash the kernel in that post, but honestly it still won't be worth using. Just do a full nandroid backup, wipe everything, flash the MIUI image, and dick around for a bit getting blue balls cause it looks and feels so much better than Sense.

You'll probably have to battery pull and Power+Vol Down to get back into recovery mode to flash back to your daily driver rom; reboot in MIUI didn't work for me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
OK, so I finally decide to give MIUI a try on my Inspire instead of just upgrading to the latest Virtuous Unity. Installation goes fine and the ROM itself looks very nice. Cool, I think to myself, time to start restoring things with Titanium Backup! Only due to MIUI's lack of an app drawer I can't actually find the drat thing. I reinstalled it from the Market, and I can go into the program management area of my settings menu and see that the program exists and is installed, but I can't figure out how to actually run the drat thing...

Aaaand as I'm typing this I figure it out :v: So now my question becomes, is it normal to have to install something from the market, then browse to the APK through the File Explorer and install it again to get it to show up on the desktop? I want to give MIUI a fair shake before running back to my nice familiar Sense 3.0 ROMs and I'm wondering if I did something incorrectly here.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

People still using the HTC Incredible: can you get an app such as Battery Monitor and tell me what kind of mA drain you're typically seeing? I've got an app polling every minute and I never seem to see it draining <300mA. Thought it was just related to a rogue app or Sense 2.1/3.0 Hybrid rom with a stock kernel but I switched back to CM7 and MIUI for a little this past week and I'm seeing the same terrible battery life. Wondering if maybe my batteries are all shot or if there may be something wrong with the device, because it's been doing this for awhile.

I don't think it's the Battery Monitor app from polling despite the frequency, because my terrible battery life lead to me getting that. Everything else that syncs is set to either the largest gap, typically once a day, or set to be completely manual.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Is there any compelling reason to flash a different rom onto an HTC g2? This t-mobile message center app that likes to bug me when the battery gets low is starting to annoy me, but I'm not sure that's worth rooting in and of itself considering annoying bugs that could pop up in the process.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1251857

Supposedly networking kinda works if you flash the kernel in that post, but honestly it still won't be worth using. Just do a full nandroid backup, wipe everything, flash the MIUI image, and dick around for a bit getting blue balls cause it looks and feels so much better than Sense.

You'll probably have to battery pull and Power+Vol Down to get back into recovery mode to flash back to your daily driver rom; reboot in MIUI didn't work for me.

drat, this is awesome news anyway. I love MIUI but never got to try it on my Captivate before it broke.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

Is there any compelling reason to flash a different rom onto an HTC g2? This t-mobile message center app that likes to bug me when the battery gets low is starting to annoy me, but I'm not sure that's worth rooting in and of itself considering annoying bugs that could pop up in the process.
Um, yes?

Considering there are rock-solid ROMs out there that greatly enhance functionality with absolutely no downside it's really a no-brainer.

poo poo even if you go to the last CM6 version it's better than remaining on stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Are there any good roms for the Evo3D yet? I kinda want to try out CleanROM. Are there any stability issues with it? Anything broken?

I wanted to just roll my own and modify stock to my liking but it seems I've done all I can without getting into some of the advanced procedures that I don't really care enough to learn how to do.