Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

uwaeve posted:

Get a Honda mower.

Seriously. My dad has been using the same Honda mower for more than 25 years now. Still runs the same.

And when he bought me one as a housewarming gift, the guy who rung him up at Home Depot said see you in 30 years. He's not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking to get my fiance a nice single seater hammock as a gift. Is there a particular brand or manufacturer of outdoor furniture or hammock that makes a solid product that I should look for or should I just settle for the best looking one on Amazon?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The key to a good hammock isn't the hammock, it's the frame. Unless you're blessed with already having an awesome way of hanging it.

Also, they are mostly made of nylon or cotton, so there is no such thing as an outdoor hammock. They will all rot and disintegrate after a season in the sun if you leave it out there.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Bhodi posted:

The key to a good hammock isn't the hammock, it's the frame. Unless you're blessed with already having an awesome way of hanging it.

Also, they are mostly made of nylon or cotton, so there is no such thing as an outdoor hammock. They will all rot and disintegrate after a season in the sun if you leave it out there.

Good to know then. I'll dig looking around for something aesthetic and in my price range then. Thanks for the heads up

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
What's a choice for gaming headsets these days? I've had a logitech h390 for awhile but the sound in one ear is gone unless it's at a specific angle.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Any recommendations for a sound bar or 3.1 audio setup for home theater around 300 dollars?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm also in the market for a sound bar since my living room isn't really conducive to surround sound without a bit more effort than I'm willing to expend. Also looking for $300ish dollars and would like several HDMI-in and an HDMI-out to go to the TV so we can use it like a receiver as well.

I feel like having it be a decent enough sound bar AND acting as a receiver is too much to ask in this price range, but I've really only looked around Fry's and Best Buy so I could be way off.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Any recommendations for a sound bar or 3.1 audio setup for home theater around 300 dollars?

I have the vizio 3.1 sound bar set up recommended by wirecutter (~$200) and it works great. Highly recommended. Note that it doesn't have HDMI IN/OUT and only has one optical in, but it does have bluetood funtuonality and other inputs.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I found the Sony HTCT660/C on Amazon, which seems to fit my requirements. Any opinions on this line? The gf and I are not audiophiles at all, just looking to get a little better sound/bass than our TV can do.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm also in the market for a sound bar since my living room isn't really conducive to surround sound without a bit more effort than I'm willing to expend. Also looking for $300ish dollars and would like several HDMI-in and an HDMI-out to go to the TV so we can use it like a receiver as well.

I feel like having it be a decent enough sound bar AND acting as a receiver is too much to ask in this price range, but I've really only looked around Fry's and Best Buy so I could be way off.

Probably better served throwing that money toward a real receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Can always expand in the future that way.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

What's a choice for gaming headsets these days? I've had a logitech h390 for awhile but the sound in one ear is gone unless it's at a specific angle.

I've always had really good luck with Plantronics. I've bought several for myself and friends and the current pair I have has lasted 5 years so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-E...tronics+headset

They make more than just that one, but I linked it because I think that's the most similar to the one I have.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Crain posted:

Sennheiser 598s are nice. I've had a pair for 3 years, and it's been wonderful. Comfortable, sound great, and reliable. You could get a clip-on mic, or a standalone USB condenser.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Recommendation for a handheld vacuum cleaner? I have a cat so something that can handle cat hair is a plus.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

GoodCleanFun posted:

Probably better served throwing that money toward a real receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers. Can always expand in the future that way.

I agree with this. I bought a 5.1 Receiver and 2 nice bookshelf speakers and it works great. I figure I can always add if I want.

Here is the receiver I went with. It has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 Optical in. It had good reviews for the price, and it works great for me.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077V8930/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paired it with a set of Pioneer Bookshelf Speakers (currently discontinued), but you can easily spend $100-150 on a set that will get the job done.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

couldcareless posted:

Looking to get my fiance a nice single seater hammock as a gift. Is there a particular brand or manufacturer of outdoor furniture or hammock that makes a solid product that I should look for or should I just settle for the best looking one on Amazon?

I don't think you can really go wrong with an ENO DoubleNest, paired with their Atlas straps. Super easy to hang up if you have two sturdy poles or trees around, and very comfortable! It packs up into a little ball so you can take it anywhere! I have one and use it literally every day.

Hammock: http://m.rei.com/product/754773/eno-doublenest-hammock

Straps: http://m.rei.com/product/840700/eno-atlas-hammock-suspension-system

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for a pencil sharpener that will handle colored pencils and not break down in 6 months. I don't care about the noise. If there is a really good non electric out there i'd be interested in that as well. Just sick of using the one I got from amazon that 9 times out of 10 creates lovely points that break right away.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

madpanda posted:

Looking for a pencil sharpener that will handle colored pencils and not break down in 6 months. I don't care about the noise. If there is a really good non electric out there i'd be interested in that as well. Just sick of using the one I got from amazon that 9 times out of 10 creates lovely points that break right away.

I've got one like this and it works well:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/dahle-professional-pencil-sharpener/

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Any recommendations on washer/dryers?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone know of a good ODB2 reader + phone app?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI I bought one of those cheapo bluetooth dealies and used Torque on Android, which worked fine for a while but for some reason will no longer interface. I've heard before that's fairly common for the cheaper bluetooth units so I've since spent the same money + $20 on a dedicated wired unit. I'll go ahead and recommend you just buy a wired ODB2 reader in the first place. I have an Autel unit and it's worked great, was about $40 on Amazon (vs. $20 for the bluetooth one)

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I had a nice leather/seudue office chair, and then I got a cat. She climbs all over it. The chair has a million little claw puncture marks all over it and looks like someone rubbed it down with a cheese grater. Any recommendations on a cat-proof office chair?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cornuto posted:

I had a nice leather/seudue office chair, and then I got a cat. She climbs all over it. The chair has a million little claw puncture marks all over it and looks like someone rubbed it down with a cheese grater. Any recommendations on a cat-proof office chair?

As an alternative perhaps try these: http://www.softpaws.com/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

madpanda posted:

I bought some fancy ones, one that makes really fine points and one that makes less-fine (normal) points, and they work fantastically. However they're literally the tiny had-held ones that don't even collect the shavings, which is kinda annoying. I'd be interested in a good quality electric one myself too.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm looking for some fancy rear end men slippers? After reading the wirecutter, some part of me wants their fancy rear end haflinger slippers, but in canada it's over 100$ and that's kind of a stupid price to pay for slippers. Let's say I'm ok with 60-80$ if it's some awesome slippers that will last me for 5 years and won't make my feet all sweaty.

I'm slightly partial toward mocassins and natural fibers in general.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Robawesome posted:

FYI I bought one of those cheapo bluetooth dealies and used Torque on Android, which worked fine for a while but for some reason will no longer interface. I've heard before that's fairly common for the cheaper bluetooth units so I've since spent the same money + $20 on a dedicated wired unit. I'll go ahead and recommend you just buy a wired ODB2 reader in the first place. I have an Autel unit and it's worked great, was about $40 on Amazon (vs. $20 for the bluetooth one)

http://www.plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTBLUETOOTH

That's one of the best, and it's gotten cheaper. When I got it I think it was at it's lowest price of about $80. They also have a WiFi version if you use iOS.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

KingColliwog posted:

I'm looking for some fancy rear end men slippers? After reading the wirecutter, some part of me wants their fancy rear end haflinger slippers, but in canada it's over 100$ and that's kind of a stupid price to pay for slippers. Let's say I'm ok with 60-80$ if it's some awesome slippers that will last me for 5 years and won't make my feet all sweaty.

I'm slightly partial toward mocassins and natural fibers in general.

Enjoy.

May not go 5 years but generally durable. Old school non-moc non-soled version here.

I don't know what those turn out to be in Loonies or whatever, I just know they rule.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

uwaeve posted:

Enjoy.

May not go 5 years but generally durable. Old school non-moc non-soled version here.

I don't know what those turn out to be in Loonies or whatever, I just know they rule.

You own them? I like l.l. bean but some reviews were scary. Price is ok, but not if they die in 9 months of normal wear (few hours a day during the colder months)

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

KingColliwog posted:

You own them? I like l.l. bean but some reviews were scary. Price is ok, but not if they die in 9 months of normal wear (few hours a day during the colder months)

As of my post they are poking out from under the bed, ready to save my feet from the tiled bathroom floor above the garage.

I think I've had 2.25 pairs (killed 2, on my third pair) over the last 10? years. I mean if you're my dad you can make the non moc ones last 15 years until you are just shuffling around in burnished chitinous foot shells with vague wispy hints of wool clinging to the inside.

Like many things in life, you can always have plush great-feeling new ones if you buy every couple years. I usually let the shearling get beaten down a bunch and a seam blow out before I get new ones. To be fair I didn't read the article you're talking about, I just know there have always been warm fluffy slippers in my family and everyone I've given them to has been happy or too polite to tell me they're garbage.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Any recommendations on a laptop shoulder bag (something that will fit a 15" rMBP + a spiral notebook and misc chargers)?

Also I need a new wallet, something slim and cool and dope ideally. Max storage space = 6 cards 2 bills perhaps. Your recs and thoughts are appreciated.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
[quote="uwaeve" post="437207911"]
As of my post they are poking out from under the bed, ready to save my feet from the tile
[/quot
Awesome. I usually wear slippers until a seam break or they aren't warm at all anymore. Basically I just dont want them to break because they aren't well constructed. Normal wear is fine and I don't expect 60$ slippers to last 10 Times as long as 20$ ones. but I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't last a fee winters

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mx.html

I've had really good luck with this unit, leave it plugged in all the time. I use it with their software on Android.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I need a new wall charger adapter for my phone but I'm having trouble digging something up. It needs to be an angled one so that it can be mostly flush against the wall to fit behind my bed, but the majority are the type that come straight out. I did find one that would work, but it's <1A output which isn't ideal. I'm hoping to get something on Amazon so that I don't have to pay shipping on what should be a $5 item but nothing has turned up. Anyone have a solution?

this is the style I'm looking for, though flatter is always better:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Could you install an outlet with built-in USB charging ports?

These are available at most hardware stores for about the same price as that one on Amazon.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

eriddy posted:

Any recommendations on a laptop shoulder bag (something that will fit a 15" rMBP + a spiral notebook and misc chargers)?

Also I need a new wallet, something slim and cool and dope ideally. Max storage space = 6 cards 2 bills perhaps. Your recs and thoughts are appreciated.

If you're made of money, I love FiveLeft leather stuff but it's really expensive. But it lasts forever and each piece is custom.

Wallet: Foldwallet
Bag: CareerCarrier

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

After work when I take my socks off, my feet are both sweaty and cold. Somebody tell me what to look for or just buy. Needs to be office appropriate dress socks. Comfort > Style.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
wool, merino in partical would probably be the best since it's soft, fine and will keep you warm even if you sweat. I don't know much about dress socks, but I'd bet some of them are made out of merino wool. You'll probably end up paying 10 to 20$ a pair though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

wool, merino in partical would probably be the best since it's soft, fine and will keep you warm even if you sweat. I don't know much about dress socks, but I'd bet some of them are made out of merino wool. You'll probably end up paying 10 to 20$ a pair though

This, there's nothing like good old merino wool socks. Check the blend, you want 100% wool. Or if you wanna be fancy (and pay the premium for it) underarmor socks are pretty great too.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Can anyone recommend me a good smoking jacket/robe/whatever? I love smoking on my porch and refuse to stop just because Winter Is Coming. Just looking for something at least a little warm that'll keep tobacco off my clothes as much as possible.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Chinaman7000 posted:

After work when I take my socks off, my feet are both sweaty and cold. Somebody tell me what to look for or just buy. Needs to be office appropriate dress socks. Comfort > Style.

http://www.sockdreams.com/products/maniche-tweed-boot-sock:12699

The women's version of these are my go-to for cozy warm socks, I love them tons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Current best wireless mouse? For my father in law. No gaming required, just general Day to Day use.

• Locked thread