Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I do a 19-20 hr drive from Vancouver to LA and back a few times a year, in fact I'm doing it this week.

In one shot, totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I got back from Europe yesterday and immediately hit the ice this afternoon for a good two hours. Took me a little time to get as comfortable on the ice as I was before. Maybe it was the ice slowing down, maybe it was just being so long in between. I'm getting pretty good at stopping two feet (not hockey stop), which will at least be useful when I start clinics next week.

On those lines, I find I'm stopping more with my left foot than my right. My right foot is my dominant one, so I expected exactly the opposite. When I stop my left foot is definitely breaking more than the right.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have to force yourself to use your weak side.. everyone has one.

I think the normal way to combat this is to always turn/stop facing the same side of the rink. That is if you're going up the rink one way, you turn to stop so you face the benches. When you're skating the other way, you turn the other direction so you still end up facing the benches. Doing this guarantees you work both sides of your body.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My left inside edge is my weakest for stopping, by far. Every other edge (including outsides) I can stop just fine, at full speed. That edge I have to be careful with. I usually end up stopping more on my right outside edge when I do.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Dangerllama posted:

Haha...I'm debating the logistics of driving myself as well. 19 hours each way from Denver.

I used to road trip back and forth to PA with my dad though, and to/from Mizzou, so I'm kind of an idiot that way.

Welp, I'm up in Breckenridge and moving to Denver this fall, so I guess we ought to just split the mileage.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, I found out my local rink has lunch hockey on my days off. This means I am going to be getting back into ice hockey (I've played inline forever) for the first time since high school. I have all the gear, but for lunch hockey, would shoulder pads be expected/required? Or would I just be "that guy" for wearing them? Is it just like a drop-in or is it even more relaxed and more along the lines of open ice to skate/stickhandle/etc?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd say it's a 50/50 split on shoulderpads, so do whatever makes you happy.

Lunch hockey tends to stay pretty casual, especially if there's only a few guys. In those cases you can pretty much do whatever you want. Once you get 10 or more people they tend to want to actually play.. especially if there's goalies.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

For pickup/drop-in I generally go with elbow pads with no chest pad. Nobody should be throwing hits and I tend to not jump in front of shots that don't matter.

First game in two weeks tonight, had to miss the last one because of a concert. GoPro ready to be mounted on my helmet, I wonder if the refs will care!

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

xzzy posted:

You have to force yourself to use your weak side.. everyone has one.

I think the normal way to combat this is to always turn/stop facing the same side of the rink. That is if you're going up the rink one way, you turn to stop so you face the benches. When you're skating the other way, you turn the other direction so you still end up facing the benches. Doing this guarantees you work both sides of your body.

That's how all coaches make kids do suicides. The problem with it is they don't care how you stop as long as you face the correct side, so when I played out when I was a kid, I'd always stop dragging my right leg if it was the inside edge for stopping. I really want to work on fixing it, but I'm rarely in full skater equipment to minimize injury from falling. I've been told by coaches that you just have to trust yourself and you'll get it down. I've gotten it to work a few times, but I'm not nearly consistent enough to do it while reffing yet.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

gco posted:

That's how all coaches make kids do suicides. The problem with it is they don't care how you stop as long as you face the correct side, so when I played out when I was a kid, I'd always stop dragging my right leg if it was the inside edge for stopping. I really want to work on fixing it, but I'm rarely in full skater equipment to minimize injury from falling. I've been told by coaches that you just have to trust yourself and you'll get it down. I've gotten it to work a few times, but I'm not nearly consistent enough to do it while reffing yet.

This is why I try to get my ice time during daytime when there aren't people around. This way I only look like an idiot to two or three people wearing pads so I don't go to work covered in bruises.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, lunchtime skates are a great way to get some ice all to yourself. During which times you can look like the biggest idiot on the planet and no one will witness it.

I bought some skateboarder style knee and elbow pads that I sometimes use, saves me having to bring a bunch of hockey equipment.. and it's really only the joints that worry me. I can handle a bruised rear end or whatever.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Yeah, lunchtime skates are a great way to get some ice all to yourself. During which times you can look like the biggest idiot on the planet and no one will witness it.

I bought some skateboarder style knee and elbow pads that I sometimes use, saves me having to bring a bunch of hockey equipment.. and it's really only the joints that worry me. I can handle a bruised rear end or whatever.

the bruises aren't too bad but I must've wrenched my shoulder p bad the other day because christ in heaven my shoulder cuff is hosed today.

I'm just happy my knee is fine, one time I fell, my left foot slipped under me as I fell on it. Ouch.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hockles posted:

So, I found out my local rink has lunch hockey on my days off. This means I am going to be getting back into ice hockey (I've played inline forever) for the first time since high school. I have all the gear, but for lunch hockey, would shoulder pads be expected/required? Or would I just be "that guy" for wearing them? Is it just like a drop-in or is it even more relaxed and more along the lines of open ice to skate/stickhandle/etc?

Is it just stick-and-puck or is it drop-in?

For stick-and-puck, I never wear shoulder pads. For drop-in, I almost always wear them, unless I'm feeling run down. I've taken one too many elbows to the sternum not to. Our local lunch-drop in is 50/50, about the same as xzzy alluded to.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

:woop:

Eagle River 2013 here I come!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Dangerllama posted:

Is it just stick-and-puck or is it drop-in?

It doesn't specify, it just lists it as "Lunch Hockey." It does have separate times for both stick/puck and then drop-in. So, I am thinking just bringing everything and asking around. If I end up being the only one on the ice, not gonna wear shoulder pads. :smug:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
BIG win for us tonight. Going back to the Championship against a team we've gone 1-7 against. This time we're going break out of our slump.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Had a fun little drop in tonight, 2 on 2 with goalies at either end of a mini rink for 30 minutes. It looks like this may be a summertime Thursday night special for the next two to three weeks.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pleads posted:

Eagle River 2013 here I come!

Playing OTP on NHL13 alone is gonna suck so hard when all you guys are sitting in county jail after starting countless brawls during the tournament.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Won the championship last night in a sweep of the best-of-three series. We were also dead last by a far margin last season, so it's a huge jump. Though to be fair, for this season the rink decided to do a draft. We retained 5 guys, and everyone else was all new. It was a great season and everyone on the team was a strong player. I've won a championship before, but this is by far the best overall team I've been on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Non matching jersey? pft

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

poser posted:

Non matching jersey? pft

WHOLE TEAM OF RINGERS

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

D C posted:

WHOLE TEAM OF RINGERS
We're cheap and I spent the money on beer instead.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Loqieu posted:

We're cheap and I spent the money on beer instead.
This is a hockey player, right here.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My first thought: How does the guy on the right even use that stick?

(Congrats, BTW).

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Dangerllama posted:

My first thought: How does the guy on the right even use that stick?

(Congrats, BTW).

Defender maybe. Prefers a poke check and a pass rather than skating coast to coast.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I scored 2 goals that game to up my total to 2 goals for the season.

lol

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Only drop-in tonight, but it was one of those nights where everything went right. Every pass I made was tape to tape, won every battle in the corner, and I scored a couple of sick goals. :c00l:

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
Ugh playing center sucks sometimes. Passed back to my D-man then went in front of the net and his slapper caught me right on the front of my right foot. Took one stride and fell down but got to the bench and went right back out next shift. :smug: Massive bruise on top of my foot today though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think you mean playing center is the best

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

sellouts posted:

I think you mean playing center is the best

There is nothing better than backchecking and picking somebody's pocket then hitting one of your wingers on the breakaway.

Mediochre
Jul 3, 2002
I've got a question about defense. What, if anything, can I do about an opponent camping out in front of the crease and/or screening my goalie? In the past I've tried to push him out of there, but I feel like this is not helping because I'm only making the front of the net more crowded, and shots are deflecting off my skates into the goddamn net.

What can I do to make life easier for my goalie while making it difficult for the guy in front?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If there's a guy in front of the net, I'm always trying to tie up his stick so he can't get a rebound or a shot. If his stick is in the air, he's not going to be very effective.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Mediochre posted:

I've got a question about defense. What, if anything, can I do about an opponent camping out in front of the crease and/or screening my goalie? In the past I've tried to push him out of there, but I feel like this is not helping because I'm only making the front of the net more crowded, and shots are deflecting off my skates into the goddamn net.

What can I do to make life easier for my goalie while making it difficult for the guy in front?

Like what Dangerllama said, always lift the stick. Don't slash down on the stick, lift it. Once the stick is lifted, it is much easier to move the body. Also, you can sometimes draw a retaliation penalty on them if you do enough to pester them. Be the best drat pest you can. Don't give it a rest!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If shots are going in off your skates, your goalie needs to do a better job getting his pads flush to the ice. He spend all that money buying enormous gear to strap to his legs, make him use them. :v:

It's gonna happen, not much you can do about it. I suppose technically you could teach yourself to only plant your feet so shots will ricochet off to the corner, but in practice it would be completely silly to attempt.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He probably isn't getting his pads down because he can't see the shots coming.

The key is to have the people not fighting it out in the crease (wingers) quit hanging around the blue line and actually get in there to cause a turn over, block a shot, or just pick up the guy with the puck to prevent him from shooting.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

sellouts posted:

He probably isn't getting his pads down because he can't see the shots coming.

The key is to have the people not fighting it out in the crease (wingers) quit hanging around the blue line and actually get in there to cause a turn over, block a shot, or just pick up the guy with the puck to prevent him from shooting.

This is true. And it's also something, in my experience, that gets you yelled at on lower division teams (where typically no one's ever had any coaching) to stay on the point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't get that with the guys I play with.. usually they want everyone fairly low, and will grump at dudes for not doing it. Anyone who stays above the faceoff circles gets the cherry picker label. :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always found in beer leagues that you're a lot more effective as a defenseman in the slot if you just forget about playing the man and get yourself in between him and the puck instead. It involves more skating but fewer penalties.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Try to be on the inside of whoever is setting the screen, forcing him toward the side boards whilst making sure he can't get good body or stick positioning. Driving him outside gives him less chance for a successful rebound if the goalie lets the puck pop out to the corner because his only option will be shooting from a sharp angle instead of being closer to the middle of the slot if the puck happens to pop out there and that's where he is positioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

A two-hander to the back of the legs works real well, too.