Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Aphal posted:

This guy seems pretty :tinfoil:, my Optimus S shows 1x when appropriate.

When I flashed my EVO to a non-Sense ROM my first thought was the ROM was bad because it went to 1x. I was like why am I dropping 3G all of the sudden. Of course after reading up on it I realized what the deal was.

What about the iPhone? Sometimes I get Extended 3G, and other times I get Sprint and a circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, in that case go back to the corporate store and yell at them for being idiots.

Oh yeah, good call. Durf.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

I think it's pretty widely documented that some phones do that, but it's not an intentional carrier wide thing.
It's definitely Sprint's doing. The Android platform code that controls which data icon shows up in the notification bar is modified to show the same "3G" icon set for EVDO, 1x, and IS-95. At least on the Epic, the "1x" icon set is still present in framework-res.apk and it's a trivial code fix to reenable it.

I'd assume this isn't Sprint trying to inflate their 3G network coverage, but rather, to eliminate confusion between 4G and non-4G data services. On WiMAX-capable Android devices, there's a "4G" icon when WiMAX is enabled, and "3G" when it's not. Having a "1x" icon in there too would be confusing for many.

scarymonkey posted:

The indicator could say 5g for all I care, what matters is the actual speed coming through, which right now is ultra lovely.
Pretty much. Phones could well be doing EVDO but still getting "sub-1x" speeds if a cell site is crazy congested or the backhaul horribly insufficient.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

nate fisher posted:

When I flashed my EVO to a non-Sense ROM my first thought was the ROM was bad because it went to 1x. I was like why am I dropping 3G all of the sudden. Of course after reading up on it I realized what the deal was.

What about the iPhone? Sometimes I get Extended 3G, and other times I get Sprint and a circle.

I'm pretty sure the circle is 1x, at least that's what I was told about when a Verizon iPhone 4 showed it. I'm not sure about the Extended though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, with my old HTC Diamond, I turned it into a WiFi hotspot all the time so my iPod could play internet radio in the car / I could at least surf the internet at dial-up speed on my laptop. Did not have a tethering plan.

Now with my 4S, I see there's a Personal Hotspot option, but it's greyed out/have to contact Sprint to enable it. I knew going to the 4S, I would lose a lot of the freedom I had with WinMo 6.5; what's the suggested tethering option these days?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

movax posted:

I knew going to the 4S, I would lose a lot of the freedom I had with WinMo 6.5; what's the suggested tethering option these days?
On an iPhone? Jailbreak?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On an iPhone? Jailbreak?

I guess I'm SOL for now then, 4S bootrom has not been exploited yet. :( Oh well.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Wow, I did not miss the experience of dealing with custom ringtones on feature phones. My dad replaced his phone and wanted to get a new ringtone for it. I probably could have gotten him something for free if I wasn't hundreds of miles away. Instead I figured it would be easier to just buy it through Sprint at the insanely overpriced $2.50 (seriously, Sprint? I can buy full track for less!)

I logged into our account, picked the option to "Shop for digital media" on his phone, found the ringtone he wanted on the Digital Lounge and proceeded to purchase it. What I did not realize was that Digital Lounge defaulted to *my* phone, and that my dad would have to create his own account and log in with that in order to purchase a ringtone for his phone.

Customer service reversed the charge for me, but seriously, that's an incredibly unfriendly user experience!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I understand your point about the potential to use more data when tethering, that's why I said the logical thing would be to cap like AT&T and Verizon or throttle like T-Mobile (who all block tethering too, I know) for excessive use. ExcessBLarg! illustrated this perfectly when he said tethers and uses far less data than his wife who doesn't. Blocking tethering isn't the best way avoid network congestion, but it is the best way to gouge customers.

They don't even need to lobby for this, just continue to all act the same way so we have no choice. :(

But see the issue with someone torrenting or using iTunes to download Twilight/Buffy/whatever vampire poo poo kids watch in HD is the same issue that we have had the tools to combat for years... Every cell site should (and does as far as I know) have a traffic shaper and if someone is using up too much bandwidth you throttle them. If the cell is wide open, they can download at full speed. If it is busy, they only get an equal share. If they are a bandwidth hog then maybe they get a less-than-equal share. There is no need to have all these restrictions, caps, etc.

Remember that Sprint is a global Tier 1 fiber backbone. They don't pay for transit or peering. The only reason they pay for back haul is when their fiber doesn't run close to their cell towers (granted that is a lot). Their back haul is flat priced for a certain capacity link to run to their closest fiber or exchange point. If you download a movie it doesn't cost them anything extra unless you are roaming or you are connected to a partner tower that Sprint doesn't own.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I think the bandwidth problem is more related to congestion over RF and not a backhaul problem. Backhaul upgrades are pretty trivial to implement. RF can be drastically more involved.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
If I want EPRP, do I need to get it while I apply for a new plan, or can I get the discount after already getting a plan? Is this something I can do at a Sprint store, or would they find it odd that I didn't purchase the plan through the person who gave the eployee referral?

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top
Sprint's website has gotten my hopes up a day early. The wife and I both have Moments, so obviously want to upgrade as soon as possible. I checked the website a week ago and got a 'Save $150 in 7 day(s)' message - so I figured today is the day. Apparently Sprint counts days differently than the rest of the world, so today I get 'Save $150 in 0 day(s)'. 0 days is today Sprint.

Not a big deal and obviously I can wait another day without any issues, but god I hate this Moment and can't wait to get something new.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

If I want EPRP, do I need to get it while I apply for a new plan, or can I get the discount after already getting a plan? Is this something I can do at a Sprint store, or would they find it odd that I didn't purchase the plan through the person who gave the eployee referral?

You have to sign up online through the EPRP website to get the discount. If you sign up for a regular plan they probably wont let you switch.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"stuph" posted:

Sprint's website has gotten my hopes up a day early. The wife and I both have Moments, so obviously want to upgrade as soon as possible. I checked the website a week ago and got a 'Save $150 in 7 day(s)' message - so I figured today is the day. Apparently Sprint counts days differently than the rest of the world, so today I get 'Save $150 in 0 day(s)'. 0 days is today Sprint.

Not a big deal and obviously I can wait another day without any issues, but god I hate this Moment and can't wait to get something new.

Sprint will always bump up your upgrades 2 weeks early, so actually you are eligible, you just needed to talk to the right people :)

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint will always bump up your upgrades 2 weeks early, so actually you are eligible, you just needed to talk to the right people :)

I really don't understand how it works anyway, since my renewal date is 1/18. I wasn't sure if it were 2 or 4 months at this point, and I figured I'd just suck it up and wait.

I did just get them to send me a free Airrave tonight, though, so that'll be nice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I'd love more info on this ... I've got a store holding a 4s for me until tomorrow and even the sero phone line said not til tomorrow. I want it now!

So if I understand the OP correctly, that discount it says is available means I'll get the 4S for new customer pricing, right?

I'm also totally creeped out that stuph has the exact same dates as me. Sup contract buddy.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

stuph posted:

I really don't understand how it works anyway, since my renewal date is 1/18. I wasn't sure if it were 2 or 4 months at this point, and I figured I'd just suck it up and wait.

I did just get them to send me a free Airrave tonight, though, so that'll be nice.

You get an upgrade on the first of the month 22 months after you signed/re-upped your contract. In your case, 11/01.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Anyone else with an Airrave find it causing substantial issues with voice quality?

I'll have 5 bars of signal, but the person on the other end won't be able to hear a word I say, or vice versa. Often the problems are only in one direction, and this happens with any Sprint phone in the house (It's happened with an LG dumbphone, a blackberry, my 4S, and a year old Samsung somethingorother that runs Android.)

Is there any sort of fix if so other than just 'disconnect the airrave?'

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You get an upgrade on the first of the month 22 months after you signed/re-upped your contract. In your case, 11/01.

So does this rotate backwards, i.e in two years it would be 09/01, or is it always going to be 11/01?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

movax posted:

So, with my old HTC Diamond, I turned it into a WiFi hotspot all the time so my iPod could play internet radio in the car / I could at least surf the internet at dial-up speed on my laptop. Did not have a tethering plan.

Now with my 4S, I see there's a Personal Hotspot option, but it's greyed out/have to contact Sprint to enable it. I knew going to the 4S, I would lose a lot of the freedom I had with WinMo 6.5; what's the suggested tethering option these days?

Honestly Android is the new WinMo when it comes to being able to customize the crap out of your stuff and be able to do anything you want to do. With the iPhone it's a constant cat and mouse game, on Android once you root it everything is done on your terms. With the iPhone there's always the loom of an upcoming update that will gently caress all your jailbreak poo poo up.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Casao posted:

So does this rotate backwards, i.e in two years it would be 09/01, or is it always going to be 11/01?
Yeah, it's 22 months from the date of the upgrade, although starting with upgrades after October 2nd, you'll be eligible again in 20 months rather than 22.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

scarymonkey posted:

Honestly Android is the new WinMo when it comes to being able to customize the crap out of your stuff and be able to do anything you want to do. With the iPhone it's a constant cat and mouse game, on Android once you root it everything is done on your terms. With the iPhone there's always the loom of an upcoming update that will gently caress all your jailbreak poo poo up.

It's also the new Windows Mobile in more ways than you think (see original US Galaxy S variants.)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

CaptainPsyko posted:

Anyone else with an Airrave find it causing substantial issues with voice quality?

I'll have 5 bars of signal, but the person on the other end won't be able to hear a word I say, or vice versa. Often the problems are only in one direction, and this happens with any Sprint phone in the house (It's happened with an LG dumbphone, a blackberry, my 4S, and a year old Samsung somethingorother that runs Android.)

I had a Samsung Airave and it was loving awesome, 2G though and at the time I had an EVO that I had to turn the wifi off to save battery and would forget to turn it on at home sometimes, so I wanted a 3G Airvana. The Airvana is loving poo poo and I don't use it even though I get 1 bar at home, sometimes "Extended" network. It's QOS or something kills my internet connection and/or it will have terrible delay/voice quality/texts hours late, it's ridiculous. They sent me a replacement and it's no different. I wish I still had the Samsung. :\

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ddogflex posted:

I had a Samsung Airave and it was loving awesome, 2G though and at the time I had an EVO that I had to turn the wifi off to save battery and would forget to turn it on at home sometimes, so I wanted a 3G Airvana. The Airvana is loving poo poo and I don't use it even though I get 1 bar at home, sometimes "Extended" network. It's QOS or something kills my internet connection and/or it will have terrible delay/voice quality/texts hours late, it's ridiculous. They sent me a replacement and it's no different. I wish I still had the Samsung. :\

Did you try putting the Airvana after the router? I haven't really known any issues with mine. Other than that, try restricting the phones that can use it in case others are connected to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CaptainPsyko posted:

Call sprint and get to the airrave tech department. It shouldn't be that bad at all, works fine for me.

Casao posted:

That's old policies, new Sprint signups get upgrades every 20 months. Since you abandoned Android for the gayphone, I would assume you are getting 20 month upgrades :)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

uapyro posted:

Did you try putting the Airvana after the router? I haven't really known any issues with mine. Other than that, try restricting the phones that can use it in case others are connected to it.

Behind the router there is terrible lag, it doesn't kill the Internet connection, but it completely unusable for calls. And yeah I have it restricted for only my phone and a couple friends. Airave tech support seems to be of little help. Although I haven't bothered with them in a while.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I am ready to pull the trigger and get my wife and I some new phones, but I have a question regarding upgrading through Amazon - I'm hoping someone here has used them before.

When I begin the process to upgrade my phone, I 1) only get the option to upgrade one of my phones, even though I am on a family plan; and 2) am not asked about upgrading, just what I want my new plan to be.

Is this normal? I'm freaked about losing my discount and having to go through hell to try to get it back and having Sprint reset my contract over and over until they get it right (it took five months last time.)

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ddogflex posted:

Behind the router there is terrible lag, it doesn't kill the Internet connection, but it completely unusable for calls. And yeah I have it restricted for only my phone and a couple friends. Airave tech support seems to be of little help. Although I haven't bothered with them in a while.

I have the second generation Airave sitting behind my router and have had no issues with it besides the website letting me blacklist or whitelist numbers. I get a strong signal on my phone and call quality is as good as not using it in an area with great coverage.

If tech support isn't helping, have you tried asking for a replacement?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"berzerkmonkey" posted:

I am ready to pull the trigger and get my wife and I some new phones, but I have a question regarding upgrading through Amazon - I'm hoping someone here has used them before.

When I begin the process to upgrade my phone, I 1) only get the option to upgrade one of my phones, even though I am on a family plan; and 2) am not asked about upgrading, just what I want my new plan to be.

Is this normal? I'm freaked about losing my discount and having to go through hell to try to get it back and having Sprint reset my contract over and over until they get it right (it took five months last time.)

Your discount will not be touched, you will be fine in that department.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Your discount will not be touched, you will be fine in that department.
Cool, thank you.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Is there a particular brand of phones that has better call quality than others? My previous HTC Diamond and my current Evo are both awful. A few times I've used AT&T BB and iphone devices and they've been much better. Is it the carrier or the phone?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Used tethering for the first time with my evo 3d at an airport with only paid wifi. (Dallas) Worked great on 3g there. Was able to download an episode of Dexter before the plane ride and only took about an hour.

Pet Stain
Dec 29, 2004

sanchez posted:

Is there a particular brand of phones that has better call quality than others? My previous HTC Diamond and my current Evo are both awful. A few times I've used AT&T BB and iphone devices and they've been much better. Is it the carrier or the phone?

Motorola supposedly has the best radios/call quality. If you aren't a total sperglord and can get over the pentile display, the photon is a beast of a phone with highly rated call quality.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't know if they have strictly better call quality, but the Photon is known to have fantastically better radio reception than the E4GT (second best, assuming the radio didn't walk off on you) and Evo 3D ("worst"). So yes, go Photon if you're constantly using voice in a weak signal area.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
The Pentile display looks great anyway, unless you go and magnify it with a zoom lens ;p

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So the Motorola PenTile displays are really a subjective thing. If you've not seen one, it's really worth looking at one in a store. They're bright and power efficient, but at 4.3" they right at the cusp where the DPI is low enough that the "PenTile effect" really drives some folks bonkers.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So the Motorola PenTile displays are really a subjective thing. If you've not seen one, it's really worth looking at one in a store. They're bright and power efficient, but at 4.3" they right at the cusp where the DPI is low enough that the "PenTile effect" really drives some folks bonkers.

This is key. Some people can't stand it (myself included) and other people can't see it at all. I demoed a Captivate from work and it drove me nuts. I checked out a Photon in store and while it didn't seem as bad to me, it still would have gotten on my nerves. The only way you'll know for sure is to see one for your self in person.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, in that case go back to the corporate store and yell at them for being idiots.

As a followup to this, I just spent my lunchbreak on a webchat with Mathew at Sprint, who listened to my question and not only reverted the $350 ETF charge, but also waived the ACTUAL ETF ($60-70) I would have had to pay under the terms of the original contract. Couldn't be happier with Sprint's webchat service in all the instances I had to use it over the years, and am dreading the first time I have to go through VZW customer service.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Crap - I meant to ask this in my previous post: Does Sprint's $10 premium data fee kick in when you activate a phone, or when you upgrade your contract? In other words, if I bought a phone off of Ebay, would Sprint hit me for the additional $10 once I activated it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

berzerkmonkey posted:

Crap - I meant to ask this in my previous post: Does Sprint's $10 premium data fee kick in when you activate a phone, or when you upgrade your contract? In other words, if I bought a phone off of Ebay, would Sprint hit me for the additional $10 once I activated it?

Yes. You will have to pay it.