Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

I don't think this is all that bad; for example: quoting your own blog posts can be better than linking to one primary study, because no single study is conclusive, but a blog post can discuss and evaluate multiple studies. Citing popular media discussions of studies is of course terrible, but then, it's not like anyone else would not be doing this - it's terrifyingly common.
And Scott isn't a scientist, he's a blogger and a doctor. He should be held to the standards of journalists, not scientists.
You're right though that he's conveying an impression that does not stand to proper scrutiny.

My personal take on what's most wrong with his post there is how he's fully buying into this, here's-one-narrative-here's-another-one-is-false thing in the way he is setting it up (even though he'd probably argue he is above that). He is, surely, to some extent correct. The question is, how large of a factor is this in the grand scheme of things? How do the alternatives fare, what's their cost/benefit trade-off? This should be viewed numerically, not categorically.

But that's admittedly hard, and it's much easier on human brains. (This is in fact a primary reason why machine-based reasoning is often superior.)

Lastly, you should not give the impression that he's actually in the Moldburg camp politically speaking; he finishes off the post by saying that he thinks it would be terrible if the "red tribe" was in power, because even though the "blue tribe" is bad, the "red tribe" is so much worse. (It's just that his argument makes him look like he's anti-"blue tribe".)

There is also very interesting research by Andrew Gelman showing that this perceived absolute polarization (red tribe only eats moose and Blacks, blue tribe gay marries and eats kale, and there is no contact ever but hatred) is pretty false. The world is much more purple than hard-red or hard-blue. But again, this is about quantitative, not categorical thinking, which people are bad at.
thats nice dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Cingulate posted:

I don't think this is all that bad; for example: quoting your own blog posts can be better than linking to one primary study, because no single study is conclusive, but a blog post can discuss and evaluate multiple studies. Citing popular media discussions of studies is of course terrible, but then, it's not like anyone else would not be doing this - it's terrifyingly common.
And Scott isn't a scientist, he's a blogger and a doctor. He should be held to the standards of journalists, not scientists.
You're right though that he's conveying an impression that does not stand to proper scrutiny.

My personal take on what's most wrong with his post there is how he's fully buying into this, here's-one-narrative-here's-another-one-is-false thing in the way he is setting it up (even though he'd probably argue he is above that). He is, surely, to some extent correct. The question is, how large of a factor is this in the grand scheme of things? How do the alternatives fare, what's their cost/benefit trade-off? This should be viewed numerically, not categorically.

But that's admittedly hard, and it's much easier on human brains. (This is in fact a primary reason why machine-based reasoning is often superior.)

Lastly, you should not give the impression that he's actually in the Moldburg camp politically speaking; he finishes off the post by saying that he thinks it would be terrible if the "red tribe" was in power, because even though the "blue tribe" is bad, the "red tribe" is so much worse. (It's just that his argument makes him look like he's anti-"blue tribe".)

There is also very interesting research by Andrew Gelman showing that this perceived absolute polarization (red tribe only eats moose and Blacks, blue tribe gay marries and eats kale, and there is no contact ever but hatred) is pretty false. The world is much more purple than hard-red or hard-blue. But again, this is about quantitative, not categorical thinking, which people are bad at.

Shut up already

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cingulate posted:

I strenuously disagree with this concept. Scott should be held to the highest intellectual standard because he is a thought leader whose writings have a significant influence on a particular set of subcultures. He presents himself as an authority and thus should be held to the standards we would accept from one. Claiming that he should be held to a lesser standard because he's not actually as smart as he says he is completely ignores the fact that people treat his writings as if he really is.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

blastron posted:

I strenuously disagree with this concept. Scott should be held to the highest intellectual standard because he is a thought leader whose writings have a significant influence on a particular set of subcultures. He presents himself as an authority and thus should be held to the standards we would accept from one. Claiming that he should be held to a lesser standard because he's not actually as smart as he says he is completely ignores the fact that people treat his writings as if he really is.

The standards for "thought leaders" actually are quite atrocious, though, and I don't think he would think of his rhetorical style as claiming authority, with the "epistemically status" tags and all. (He's a vector for bad ideas but he's doing it in good faith and writes books of kabbalah puns and probably helps more people through his day job in a week than I will in my life, so it's hard to hate him,, or at least for me to.)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Woolie Wool posted:

The guy's spent years and years lying down with neoreactionary dogs, it should not be surprising that he picks up their intellectual fleas. At this point he might as well sign on as neoreaction's propaganda minister.
Yeah I don't think NRx would be happy with a propaganda minister who tells people anybody but Hillary Clinton or Sanders would be extremely bad though.

And really, there is nothing he does there that you won't find in abundance on the left.

blastron posted:

I don't think so - what you're saying applies to every NYT, and most Slate or Vox, writers, and we should clearly not hold them to the standards of science. Science is very peculiar. Even scientists shouldn't be held to the standards of science when they're making blog posts.

That is not to say journalists and bloggers shouldn't be held to standards, just that these should not be the standards of science (e.g. citing near-exclusively peer reviewed sources).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

Yeah I don't think NRx would be happy with a propaganda minister who tells people anybody but Hillary Clinton or Sanders would be extremely bad though.

And really, there is nothing he does there that you won't find in abundance on the left.

I don't think so - what you're saying applies to every NYT, and most Slate or Vox, writers, and we should clearly not hold them to the standards of science. Science is very peculiar. Even scientists shouldn't be held to the standards of science when they're making blog posts.

That is not to say journalists and bloggers shouldn't be held to standards, just that these should not be the standards of science (e.g. citing near-exclusively peer reviewed sources).

thats nice honey

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Maybe we need an ad like happyelf's that adds him to your ignore list when you click it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

Maybe we need an ad like happyelf's that adds him to your ignore list when you click it.

Who? Oh you mean hpayplef

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Who? Oh you mean hpayplef

D&D shitposter who made Effectronica look like a reasonable and pleasant person. The :happyelf: smiley exists in his dishonor.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Woolie Wool posted:

D&D shitposter who made Effectronica look like a reasonable and pleasant person. The :happyelf: smiley exists in his dishonor.

I know who he is, it was a joke about his inability to spell

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Spelling is hard when you type by smashing your fists against the keyboard while screaming in rage.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys sound angry.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

You guys sound angry.

I don't think you're actually capable of recognizing human emotions if you think anyone is angry.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

You guys sound angry.

you sound like a twat

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I smell an impending puppetmaster play

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

I smell an impending puppetmaster play
No ..?

Who What Now posted:

I don't think you're actually capable of recognizing human emotions if you think anyone is angry.
It is important that the opposition is not human. In fact, less than human.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

No ..?

It's pretty hosed up if you think autistic people are sub-human, dude. That's majorly uncool.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cingulate posted:

No ..?

That's kind of ableist to think autists as lessers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Citing popular media discussions of studies is of course terrible, but then, it's not like anyone else would not be doing this - it's terrifyingly common.

I've always found this really weird because if you link to a news article talking about a study people seem to almost implicitly take it with a grain of salt but if you link to the abstract of a study people will see it and either not read it but assume what you're claiming is true or read it and accept it as universal truth because science said it using science words :v:

Like it's "convincing overconfident dunning-kruger science nerds 101" and i don't know why more people haven't figured that out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I don't think so - what you're saying applies to every NYT, and most Slate or Vox, writers, and we should clearly not hold them to the standards of science.

"Clearly"? Why not? I mean maybe if they're writing about breaking news or opinion pieces or something like that sure it doesn't really fit there but if they write an article ostensibly about science presenting themselves as an authority why shouldn't we hold them to the same standards as an actual authority? It'd certainly nip in the bud most of the stupid "SCIENTISTS CURE CANCER" stories we get any time there's a single study that made cancer in a rat go away in 4 out of 6 rats tested.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/699973230904352768

I guess this ridiculous blogpost is 100% factual, then:

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/the-right-kind-of-class-warfare-workers-vs-looters/

e: When it comes to more technolibertarian evidence-free garbage about reality or skeletons, I like this tirade (read that entire thread if you dare):

https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/698347139718512640

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Feb 18, 2016

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

https://twitter.com/paxdickinson/status/699973230904352768

I guess this ridiculous blogpost is 100% factual, then:

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/the-right-kind-of-class-warfare-workers-vs-looters/

e: When it comes to more technolibertarian evidence-free garbage about reality or skeletons, I like this tirade (read that entire thread if you dare):

https://twitter.com/alicemazzy/status/698347139718512640

Yeah, basically a pile of people got less Twitter impressions and this must be shadowbanning the alt-right rather than them being tedious twats. Vox Day too is literally unable to imagine any reason for a brief drop in his Twitter impressions other than a vast SJW conspiracy.

See also the exciting new Tumblr: The Stupid poo poo Vox Day Said Today.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwypeJzAkE

See you Sons of the West

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I've always found this really weird because if you link to a news article talking about a study people seem to almost implicitly take it with a grain of salt but if you link to the abstract of a study people will see it and either not read it but assume what you're claiming is true or read it and accept it as universal truth because science said it using science words :v:

Like it's "convincing overconfident dunning-kruger science nerds 101" and i don't know why more people haven't figured that out.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

"Clearly"? Why not? I mean maybe if they're writing about breaking news or opinion pieces or something like that sure it doesn't really fit there but if they write an article ostensibly about science presenting themselves as an authority why shouldn't we hold them to the same standards as an actual authority? It'd certainly nip in the bud most of the stupid "SCIENTISTS CURE CANCER" stories we get any time there's a single study that made cancer in a rat go away in 4 out of 6 rats tested.

Well first of all, it's not that the standards of science are inherently particularly high. And they're not necessarily reasonable standards for politicians, judges or journalists.

Have you looked at the actual publication for the Gravitational Waves discovery? It's absolutely opaque to me. Like, I understand the stats they're running (because I've used the same software), but for example, from reading the abstract alone, I would not have been able to tell this is about Gravitational Waves at all. This is why journals and universities make press releases - to let in lay people a bit. Okay, maybe you think science journalists should be expected to only write about fields they understand well enough to read the original papers in, maybe you think social sciences and politics stuff is much more open to lay people, and so on. But fundamentally, I think it makes sense to keep science in its own standard, and hold journalism to another. Scientific writing is about neutrality, enforcing rigor above style, clarity and conciseness, referring exclusively to scientific sources, universal peer review, and so on. Journalism should of course have standards of research, and I think the important investigative venues do have good standards (and science doesn't necessarily have the best standards even for its own purposes), but they should not need to be held to scientific standards because the job description is clearly different. In politics, you want a journalist to pick a side (the right one!), and defend it, and be eloquent and readable and concise and convincing. In science, you want a rigorous description of every single detail that would be necessary to perfectly replicate an experiment, and you want a long description of statistical analyses, including checking various assumptions, that are of zero interest but for the fact that had they not been checked, they might have made the result inapplicable, and are in the final product of zero information value to the vast majority of people, even the vast majority of people who would be interested in the topic.

Imagine what a decent journalist will do when writing a piece relying on, or even focusing on, science. They'll read the press release, and then maybe try and figure out the incredibly opaque paper, but then, and this is of critical importance in journalism, but would be absolutely inappropriate in science, they will talk to a representative panel of authorities on the subject. They're gonna call professor X at university Y and ask this authority: okay, so what does it mean that in experiment A, parameter B was measured to have value C? What's the importance of this to people who're not doing experiments on B themselves? And then they'll ask another authority, and so on. And by this process, something completely different than science emerges, but it's not necessarily worse, or even correct less often.

For example, a scientist describing a machine learning result will write about how they set up their cross validation, how they parametrized their model, on what systems they ran it, and so on. None of these are at all interesting or relevant to anybody but other machine learning researchers. They're absolutely essential to know for other researchers, but of zero value to outsiders. Outsiders just want to know that science was done "properly", and that is checked by other experts - peer review - so a science journalist should just check expert opinions and then file all of the assumption checking and methodological details and so on under "yes, science has been done properly, as confirmed by experts", and get to the meat of it ("Crazy Science Machine beats Tony Hawk at Tony Hawk on a PS1!").

Imagine, just for the sake of the argument, a sociologist somehow observes homosexual men in particularly religious societies (including the US and Pakistan) commit pedophile acts at a rate about 5% more often than expected (statistically significant after controlling for every relevant aspect, and in a huge, cross-national sample). Should this finding be publicized scientifically? Yes, of course - ideally written up in such an opaque way that no outsider knew what is even being talked about, but in the end, it should be published so long as it conforms to scientific standards. Would it be ethical for Fox News or Iranian State TV or Return of Kings or whatever to run a piece on how fags are disproportionally often kiddy twiddlers, science proves? Obviously not - because now you don't reach 150 people who calmly talk about it during a conference and then maybe use it as a footnote in a grant app, you reach 750.000 or 7.500.000 reactionary idiots, some of them young men who're out for trouble, and they're not inclined to consider nuances such as 1. this still would mean most gay men are not pedophiles, 2. this does not say that being disproportionally more commonly pedophiliac is intrinsically linked to homosexuality, but might just be an artifact of oppression (in this hypothetical world I'm speaking about), etc. No; they'll just go outside and possibly kill somebody who looks effeminate.

If I had 3 wishes about science journalism, I'd wish for:
- always include a link to the primary publication
- be much more conservative and pessimistic
- write about my research, I know it's mostly not super interesting to people not in the field, but wish is wish haha bitches

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Talking to scientists I know, the main offenders in garbage clickbait science reporting are the university press offices. Whose incentives are to get coverage of their institution and (secondarily) people, and never mind if the coverage makes any loving sense. Thankfully if you track down the original press release it usually links the paper.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
What did you do, divabot, to piss off Wesley on Tumblr (other than existing and being a leftist)?

e: Cingulate, what the hell does Scott's NRx ramblings have to do with the state of science journalism?

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Feb 18, 2016

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cingulate posted:

Well first of all, it's not that the standards of science are inherently particularly high. And they're not necessarily reasonable standards for politicians, judges or journalists.

Have you looked at the actual publication for the Gravitational Waves discovery? It's absolutely opaque to me. Like, I understand the stats they're running (because I've used the same software), but for example, from reading the abstract alone, I would not have been able to tell this is about Gravitational Waves at all. This is why journals and universities make press releases - to let in lay people a bit. Okay, maybe you think science journalists should be expected to only write about fields they understand well enough to read the original papers in, maybe you think social sciences and politics stuff is much more open to lay people, and so on. But fundamentally, I think it makes sense to keep science in its own standard, and hold journalism to another. Scientific writing is about neutrality, enforcing rigor above style, clarity and conciseness, referring exclusively to scientific sources, universal peer review, and so on. Journalism should of course have standards of research, and I think the important investigative venues do have good standards (and science doesn't necessarily have the best standards even for its own purposes), but they should not need to be held to scientific standards because the job description is clearly different. In politics, you want a journalist to pick a side (the right one!), and defend it, and be eloquent and readable and concise and convincing. In science, you want a rigorous description of every single detail that would be necessary to perfectly replicate an experiment, and you want a long description of statistical analyses, including checking various assumptions, that are of zero interest but for the fact that had they not been checked, they might have made the result inapplicable, and are in the final product of zero information value to the vast majority of people, even the vast majority of people who would be interested in the topic.

Imagine what a decent journalist will do when writing a piece relying on, or even focusing on, science. They'll read the press release, and then maybe try and figure out the incredibly opaque paper, but then, and this is of critical importance in journalism, but would be absolutely inappropriate in science, they will talk to a representative panel of authorities on the subject. They're gonna call professor X at university Y and ask this authority: okay, so what does it mean that in experiment A, parameter B was measured to have value C? What's the importance of this to people who're not doing experiments on B themselves? And then they'll ask another authority, and so on. And by this process, something completely different than science emerges, but it's not necessarily worse, or even correct less often.

For example, a scientist describing a machine learning result will write about how they set up their cross validation, how they parametrized their model, on what systems they ran it, and so on. None of these are at all interesting or relevant to anybody but other machine learning researchers. They're absolutely essential to know for other researchers, but of zero value to outsiders. Outsiders just want to know that science was done "properly", and that is checked by other experts - peer review - so a science journalist should just check expert opinions and then file all of the assumption checking and methodological details and so on under "yes, science has been done properly, as confirmed by experts", and get to the meat of it ("Crazy Science Machine beats Tony Hawk at Tony Hawk on a PS1!").

Imagine, just for the sake of the argument, a sociologist somehow observes homosexual men in particularly religious societies (including the US and Pakistan) commit pedophile acts at a rate about 5% more often than expected (statistically significant after controlling for every relevant aspect, and in a huge, cross-national sample). Should this finding be publicized scientifically? Yes, of course - ideally written up in such an opaque way that no outsider knew what is even being talked about, but in the end, it should be published so long as it conforms to scientific standards. Would it be ethical for Fox News or Iranian State TV or Return of Kings or whatever to run a piece on how fags are disproportionally often kiddy twiddlers, science proves? Obviously not - because now you don't reach 150 people who calmly talk about it during a conference and then maybe use it as a footnote in a grant app, you reach 750.000 or 7.500.000 reactionary idiots, some of them young men who're out for trouble, and they're not inclined to consider nuances such as 1. this still would mean most gay men are not pedophiles, 2. this does not say that being disproportionally more commonly pedophiliac is intrinsically linked to homosexuality, but might just be an artifact of oppression (in this hypothetical world I'm speaking about), etc. No; they'll just go outside and possibly kill somebody who looks effeminate.

- write about my research, I know it's mostly not super interesting to people not in the field, but wish is wish haha bitches

Literally everything in this post is misinformed.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

A White Guy posted:

Literally everything in this post is misinformed.

*Cingulate closes his eyes and cranes back his neck* "forgive them, science, they know not what they do"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Merdifex posted:

What did you do, divabot, to piss off Wesley on Tumblr (other than existing and being a leftist)?

e: Cingulate, what the hell does Scott's NRx ramblings have to do with the state of science journalism?
A good fraction of them are essentially science journalism and should be treated as such. None are actually science, and should thus not be treated as such.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Merdifex posted:

To be fair I kinda asked him to elaborate, he didn't just post that for no reason :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Yes I agree that journalism in general should not be held to the exact same standards of science, which is why I'm talking about science journalism by itself. I'm not sure why science journalism, which is about something that should in theory be neutral, should itself pick a side and defend it. I admit that journalism obviously doesn't need to include all the minuscule details though.

quote:

Okay, sure, you need people to interpret what the science means, but I don't really think that applies to the standards we should hold the journalist to, unless the sources themselves don't cite their sources, the journalist doesn't verify them, etc.

quote:

And if we held journalists to the standards of science they wouldn't have drawn conclusions about it being "proven" in the first place without replication and further study, and certainly wouldn't have drawn a conclusion that mixes up correlation/causation and ignores confounding variables. In fact once you collapse it down to the actual science, it would cease being something interesting enough for the journalist to write about in the first place, which is probably a good thing. I suppose the point you're trying to make is "science would be expected to publish it regardless" so sure, I concede that journalists don't have the same obligation to publish a story about every single finding as scientists do about every single result.

I also think it's weird that you consider opaque language to be a hallmark of good science and not a weird artifact of the insular in-club of academia that tends to keep people (and disproportionately women) alienated.

quote:

Okay :)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

This post, which started the usual shitshow of a thread wherein post-rationalists asked what was so bad about perfectly nice fascists after all. It is nice to see Wesley testifying that my memes are of superior dankness that will destroy fascism with my Tumblr alone entirely by accident. Apparently. (Also, if Tumblr isn't "leftist" already then everything the alt-right's been telling me MAKES NO SENSE AAAA)

Merdifex posted:

Cingulate is to Scott as Scott is to NRx.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Cingulate keeps this thread from entering the mock thread death spiral.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

This post, which started the usual shitshow of a thread wherein post-rationalists asked what was so bad about perfectly nice fascists after all. It is nice to see Wesley testifying that my memes are of superior dankness that will destroy fascism with my Tumblr alone entirely by accident. Apparently. (Also, if Tumblr isn't "leftist" already then everything the alt-right's been telling me MAKES NO SENSE AAAA)

Well let's be fair, it's got to be really annoying when you're hanging out in a community, and a loud intolerant rear end in a top hat shows up, and everyone refuses to kick him out.

I mean, imagine you just want to read some people's tumblrs, but they're buried under huge long discussions where people take seriously the ideas of an angry overly sarcastic pissant who bases his politics on fear and hatred.

So that's why the LW-adjecent people need to kick out Wesley.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Also he is doing the "this makes me too angry to formulate a coherent response, so I will just use overblown sarcasm in an attempt to browbeat possible neutral third parties into supporting me" gambit.

I know it well, having done it may a time myself(I'm not a proud person)

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also he is doing the "this makes me too angry to formulate a coherent response, so I will just use overblown sarcasm in an attempt to browbeat possible neutral third parties into supporting me" gambit.

That's what he has always done. What he never does is actually take up the arguments he doesn't like and compose a credible and meaningful response, because assertions and sarcasm and ~*darkly hinting*~ are all easier. It's easier to say that "progressivism" is object-level wrong and intellectually bankrupt without qualifying that, after all.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Peel posted:

Yep.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay, all good points.

I'm thinking of the specific, and probably most critical, subset of "science journalism with political implications", ie., the thing Scott did in the post in question (and all too often). The "blacks proved dumb, cancel Affirmative Action" kind of argument, the thing the typical long-ish DR piece tries to be. Here, I think the writer should pick a side - for example, going back to the hypothetical homosexuality/pedophilia connection, I would hope for the writer to argue that this correlational finding should never justice discrimination. Or, from the other side, a finding that growing up in poverty impairs prefrontal cortex development will hopefully result in an article advocating further resources and effort and research to be directed towards the "war on poverty". In contrast, the scientific publication should be as impartial as possible, to the extent of being disproportionally skeptical of the author's favoured theory.

I can see how you might hope that scientific standards would solve other problems of journalism (lack of caution, lack of rigor, etc), but I think that should simply run under journalistic standards, not by the application of scientific standards. Applying scientific standards to non-science just brings way too much fundamentally useless stuff with it - methodological rigor that is essential for science, but largely pointless for, and usually beyond the understanding of, the target audience of journalism.

Admittedly, this might no longer be fully applicable if people, as Scott frequently does, apply the methods of science - e.g., running statistical tests, doing literature surveys. I am not sure about this - on one hand, I'm thinking, maybe it's good to have more quantitative investigations everywhere, on the other hand, it's important that people understand how much less rigor is involved compared to good science.

Wrt. the last point, here you've lost me. First, on what do you base the claim that women are disproportionally repelled by bad writing? Next, a good bit of it is essential; some things simply can't be written up in a way that enables lay people to read it, while still carrying the necessary detail, e.g., almost everything in Methods sections. From my own field, neuroimaging preprocessing is just a huge pile of boring garbage that nobody who's not in the field could ever understand.
There's also the issue of simply bad writing, where, yes - we should all be better writers, but currently, that is IMO very low on the priority list of stuff that should be fixed about academia.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

This is still literally the best analogy in the whole universe.

Merdifex posted:

That's what he has always done. What he never does is actually take up the arguments he doesn't like and compose a credible and meaningful response, because assertions and sarcasm and ~*darkly hinting*~ are all easier. It's easier to say that "progressivism" is object-level wrong and intellectually bankrupt without qualifying that, after all.
I never "darkly hint", I'm very specific about my points, and if there is anything unclear, I'm sure I could muster way too many words in response to you making a specific inquiry.

Such as being a hardcore progressive myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Peel posted:

He does, but he does it in a pretty annoying way a lot of the time. Perhaps the real cure is a rule change to focus the thread exclusively on people who are clearly wrong about everything all the time, like Jim?

http://blog.jim.com/politics/poland-goes-alt-right/

quote:

Biblical prophecy is that Israel gets to rule the Middle ast [sic], and clearly the Middle East would be better for it. Plus I don’t much care what happens to the middle east, and someone needs to keep Muslims in line. Fine by me if Jews plot to implement Biblical prophecy. They are supposed to plot to do that.