Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thor-Stryker posted:

I could go for an episodic-content ME game where you get different zany episodes full of star-trek style shenanigans aboard a ship.

Millions of SR2's from infinite timelines start filling up a solar system and the only way to stop them from multiplying is to fire a reverse tachyon beam through a poleron emitter on the deflector dish to close the portal's chronotons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

dazoner posted:

Finally and this confused the poo poo out of me, was the Star Child THE AI and the reapers an expression of it's will?
Because if that was the case, why does Sovereign state that they are each a nation, etc and why does Harbinger have such a hard on for Shepard.

The Catalyst embodies "the collective intelligence of all Reapers". There's no contradiction with what Sovereign says or Harbinger's pursuit of Shepard.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No one knows WTF the star child was because even the writers didn't know. They ran out of time and just threw the idea out there and said this is what we are doing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

The Catalyst embodies "the collective intelligence of all Reapers". There's no contradiction with what Sovereign says or Harbinger's pursuit of Shepard.

*citation needed*

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
I kind of don't give a poo poo about anything in this game other than the surprisingly fun multiplayer, when are we gonna know if they hosed that part up too?

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

dazoner posted:

God the fkn Star Child was stupid.

So much could be salvaged just by removing the bastard.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

InnercityGriot posted:

I kind of don't give a poo poo about anything in this game other than the surprisingly fun multiplayer, when are we gonna know if they hosed that part up too?

probably when the game is out

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Lt. Danger posted:

lol you're either the dumbest person itt or the smartest troll itt, there's no middle ground here

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

InnercityGriot posted:

a guest dude on the Giant Beastcast who played said it was good, but that was all he said

so iunno

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Moola posted:

*citation needed*

quote:

Shepard: So you're just an AI?

Catalyst: In as much as you are just an animal. I embody the collective intelligence of all Reapers.

The Reapers themselves of course are the collected intelligences of their respective races, e.g. Sovereign and the "Nazari".

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

lol you're either the dumbest person itt or the smartest troll itt, there's no middle ground here

My secret is that I read what is in the game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the secret is autism!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I already made that joke. Sorry you got owned btw

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I hadn't thought about the new mass effect until seeing this thread but now I'm really in the mood for a new ME campaign and I think ME:A will be my first game purchase of the year. There hasn't been much of it shown so far but what I've seen looks good and I like that I'll be able to respec abilities and whatnot. Now to wait 2 more months. Here's hoping the pc version works out.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Let's all pay hopeful attention to but not preorder ME:A

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

I already made that joke. Sorry you got owned btw

heck!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Actually the super weapon was retarded because it implied continued and repeated incremental success that the reapers couldn't sniff out once in a billion years

But we've seen the Reapers miss poo poo. Repeatedly. The whole series is based on them missing poo poo. This is just more on the pile.

They assumed they trashed it, made the priority other problems. Meanwhile, everybody from the protheans back went "Okay, whatever else happens, however bad poo poo gets, a copy of this must survive."

I mean, the protheans managed to get a bunch of data caches hidden. The rift is a sign people from a cycle before them managed to confirm a kill. The Leviathan of Dis is an actual loving Reaper that they didn't quite mop up.

Yes, it's long odds to keep the chain going so long, even if it only takes one copy surviving every cycle, but stories are about long odds, and it's a choice with thematic weight. The Crucible ties into the themes of the third game in the good way. It's not about one person, or one species, or even one galaxy. It's the collective work of every sapient being from the first cycle standing up and giving the Reapers a massive middle finger. Even if they were assholes (like the protheans) or dumbasses (like the asari), they were in the fight, and any blood they shed wasn't in vain.

It's also something that Javik is great for. Sure, Shepard's alpha badass of the universe, but every cycle had one. Javik was his, and there was one before him, and one before that guy, and so on. Shepard's the one who wins because she's standing on the shoulders of giants.

That's part of why the ending sucked so much (other than the basic, you know, sucking on every level imaginable). It's counter-thematic. Instead of it being about Everybody Versus THESE Assholes, it's These Assholes Have A Very Complicated Point So Maybe Hear Them Out. It makes a hard fought win into a pity victory. And that's dumb.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I Am A Robot posted:

So much could be salvaged just by removing the bastard.

I bring you such gifts,

Install this mod JAM version b. Totally removes starchild from the ending, you skip straight to destroy after talking to Anderson.
Also Shorter Dreams no kid version does exactly what it says.

The game is so much better now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

So I am not sure if it is a bug, or a bad bit of DLC but after picking up Citadel and Leviathan I had some Bioware(tm) points leftover so I decided to grab one of the Firepower packs. In the pack I picked up is a full auto version of the Mattock.

If I hold down the trigger instead of feathering it, the gun seems to fire SO FAST that the game can't keep up and I enter a weird metaphysics universe where all sound effects get doubled, then tripled and then start echoing and doubling over and over again, and the gun seems to just fire faster and faster. At the same time, things like singularity and warp get all messed up and don't trigger properly. Thankfully it has a small magazine and this ends when the clip needs to be replaced but it is the Weirdest thing. I have tried other rapid fire guns, like the Geth SMG and haven't run into this issue, just with this Mk2 Mattock thing.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

So I am not sure if it is a bug, or a bad bit of DLC but after picking up Citadel and Leviathan I had some Bioware(tm) points leftover so I decided to grab one of the Firepower packs. In the pack I picked up is a full auto version of the Mattock.

If I hold down the trigger instead of feathering it, the gun seems to fire SO FAST that the game can't keep up and I enter a weird metaphysics universe where all sound effects get doubled, then tripled and then start echoing and doubling over and over again, and the gun seems to just fire faster and faster. At the same time, things like singularity and warp get all messed up and don't trigger properly. Thankfully it has a small magazine and this ends when the clip needs to be replaced but it is the Weirdest thing. I have tried other rapid fire guns, like the Geth SMG and haven't run into this issue, just with this Mk2 Mattock thing.

You speak of the Cerberus Harrier, the most glorious of assault rifles, one half of the overpowered beast that is the Turian Ghost Infiltrator. Honestly, going into Gold and Platinum on multiplayer, the Harrier is the only assault rifle that has a consistent performance and doesn't rely on a gimmick or specific class to do well.

EDIT: But the thing you're talking about is probably a bug. I've never encountered it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Harrier is garbage, which has nothing to do with the fact I never got one and I am not bitter at all.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The only weapon I never got was the geth chaingun, although the game had pretty much run its course for me by the time it came out and I didn't play for too much longer after that. Still I was hooked on the mulitplayer for like a year and I hope the new game's multiplayer is also good, as that is probably what would make or break my purchase decision for this.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Phrosphor posted:

I'm intrigued, can you record this? :D

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

quote:

Nеxus Uprising will bе cо-аuthоrеd by Jаsоn M. Hоugh аnd K.C. Alеxаndеr, Annihilаtiоn by Cаthеrinе M. Vаlеntе аnd Initiаtiоn by N.K. Jеmisin
So I just learned that Valente is one of the authors writing a ME book. She's literally one of the best writers of the decade style-wise. Her books are fantastic. Jemisin is less stylistically unique, but also a really good writer. I have no idea of the authors of the first book.

I hope EA isn't putting too much pressure on what they can write, exactly, and serving only as a codex or wiki for accuracy.

I'm super stoked about reading a sci-fi book from Valente. :hellyeah:

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

chiasaur11 posted:

But we've seen the Reapers miss poo poo. Repeatedly. The whole series is based on them missing poo poo. This is just more on the pile.

They assumed they trashed it, made the priority other problems. Meanwhile, everybody from the protheans back went "Okay, whatever else happens, however bad poo poo gets, a copy of this must survive."

I mean, the protheans managed to get a bunch of data caches hidden. The rift is a sign people from a cycle before them managed to confirm a kill. The Leviathan of Dis is an actual loving Reaper that they didn't quite mop up.

Yes, it's long odds to keep the chain going so long, even if it only takes one copy surviving every cycle, but stories are about long odds, and it's a choice with thematic weight. The Crucible ties into the themes of the third game in the good way. It's not about one person, or one species, or even one galaxy. It's the collective work of every sapient being from the first cycle standing up and giving the Reapers a massive middle finger. Even if they were assholes (like the protheans) or dumbasses (like the asari), they were in the fight, and any blood they shed wasn't in vain.

It's also something that Javik is great for. Sure, Shepard's alpha badass of the universe, but every cycle had one. Javik was his, and there was one before him, and one before that guy, and so on. Shepard's the one who wins because she's standing on the shoulders of giants.

That's part of why the ending sucked so much (other than the basic, you know, sucking on every level imaginable). It's counter-thematic. Instead of it being about Everybody Versus THESE Assholes, it's These Assholes Have A Very Complicated Point So Maybe Hear Them Out. It makes a hard fought win into a pity victory. And that's dumb.

Agreed. The Reapers don't wipe out all traces of previous civilizations. They stay around long enough to ensure that the people of the civilization are dead, they wreck up the place, but they don't go around destroying every outpost or piece of technology. I tend to think the intent is that the Reapers want these remnants to remain so newer civilizations will develop along similar lines and to explain why there's Mass Relays and a Citadel. It doesn't occur to them that one civilization on its death bed might squirrel away something to help the next civilization.

That's basically the plot of the original game. The Reapers don't question and/or don't notice the mini-Relay in the Citadel, that the Protheans would be capable of doing that or that it would matter doesn't occur to them. The Prothean scientists that make it to the Citadel know it's way too late to save their race, but they still throw a wrench into the works to give the next civilization a fighting chance. I think it would have been cool to return to that theme, exploit the same weakness that brought down Sovereign to bring down the Reapers as a whole.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Drifter posted:

So I just learned that Valente is one of the authors writing a ME book. She's literally one of the best writers of the decade style-wise. Her books are fantastic. Jemisin is less stylistically unique, but also a really good writer. I have no idea of the authors of the first book.

I hope EA isn't putting too much pressure on what they can write, exactly, and serving only as a codex or wiki for accuracy.

Any particular book by Valente you recommend? Not heard of her before but I haven't read much Sci fi for a few years

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Flipswitch posted:

Any particular book by Valente you recommend? Not heard of her before but I haven't read much Sci fi for a few years

Catherynne Valente writes fantasy primarily. Which is why I'm psyched to see what she pulls off doing a science fiction thing.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/202769.In_the_Night_Garden
In the Night Garden is generally my go to recc for her. It's not hard reading, but there's stories within stories similar-ish to Arabian Nights, and her prose is just fantastic.

I suppose her Fairyland books are her most popular, but Whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Oh shiiit I will read scifi Valente any drat day. That's basically the best news I've had all week.

Drifter posted:

Catherynne Valente writes fantasy primarily. Which is why I'm psyched to see what she pulls off doing a science fiction thing.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/202769.In_the_Night_Garden
In the Night Garden is generally my go to recc for her. It's not hard reading, but there's stories within stories similar-ish to Arabian Nights, and her prose is just fantastic.

I suppose her Fairyland books are her most popular, but Whatever.
What I love is how they're very different books thematically and prosaically but still recognizably Valente. Then you add Palimpsest in and her body of work gets truly impressive.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

inflatable fish posted:

I'm intrigued, can you record this? :D

I am currently playing on a Surface Pro 4 (which may be the problems in itself). I am not sure if it can handle recording and the game at the same time. My PC is currently on a container ship somewhere .

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

chiasaur11 posted:

I don't think the Crucible necessarily needed to exist, it does tie together the idea that everyone through history was working towards the end of the cycles and that the current species and Shepard are just the most recent to have their moment in the sun. I didn't like the Crucible idea because even if the Reapers missed it (I am fine with that), I never have been a fan of the "push button win" idea. In ME2 you had to spend the whole game assembling your team, in ME3 it should have been more about uniting all the War Assets for the final battle(s) because after numerous cycles the Reapers without being able to divide and conquer the galaxy like they did against the Protheans (thanks to their sacrifice in stopping the gate network from locking up) might not be able to win.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Of course they did because that was the direction the series was supposed to go and ME3 was a shitshow abortion of a game that went full idiot Bro CoD under EAs influence and MAC Walters is a weak willed bald beta who was fully on board with this.

Anyone who says the dark energy storyline wouldn't have been any better than what we got is either a) being political (hey Drew) or b) a moron.

I agree, the even incomplete entropy idea is better than the poo poo that made it into the final game. Its the kind of obtuse idea that could have been programmed by a species eons ago, and the Reapers end up carrying out without truly comprehending.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can't glue a popped lightbulb back together and mass effect's plot lightbulb exploded somewhere airborn over the Pacific.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the problem is they made the reapers too powerful, so they needed a magical superweapon to take them out

in me1 sovereign brushes off the entire citadel armada until he goes full retard and transfers his mind into saren, who when he dies makes sovereigns defenses drop (???)

we see reapers just casually fly through other ships and poo poo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

the problem is they made the reapers too powerful, so they needed a magical superweapon to take them out

in me1 sovereign brushes off the entire citadel armada until he goes full retard and transfers his mind into saren, who when he dies makes sovereigns defenses drop (???)

we see reapers just casually fly through other ships and poo poo

This would be my choice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDlif8Km4S4

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Beyond the crucible sucking from a thematic point of view- I think the obvious story that should have been done would be each game taking away the things that make the Reapers strong and the ending being more of a conventional "big battle, beat the bad guys".

Mass Effect 1 takes away the surprise attack and shutting down the mass effect relays.

Mass Effect 2 takes away indoctrination

Mass Effect 3 takes away their material and technological superiority with uniting the galaxy against them. Not to mention they established Harbinger pretty well in ME2. Not sure why they had to retcon that away with the whole starchild thing.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When you become Chief Writer the first thing you do is retcon away everything you don't like and shove your fanfic self inserts into everything.

"Let me tell you about my cool GURPS cyberpunk/ninjas character called Kai Leng. He's so cool and awesome, players will love him and by extension me."

You know I always assumed Kai Leng had the dopey cyber face mask thing because Bioware simply couldn't do a proper asian face in the character creator or something.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DancingShade posted:

When you become Chief Writer the first thing you do is retcon away everything you don't like and shove your fanfic self inserts into everything.

"Let me tell you about my cool GURPS cyberpunk/ninjas character called Kai Leng. He's so cool and awesome, players will love him and by extension me."

Right, because when I think "Pet character for a new writer making GBS threads all over all past work", I think "Character from the previous head writer's novels who gets his rear end kicked in the last act."

Kai Leng sucks, but he's obviously meant to be the villain you get mad at and want to kill. It's just he draws the wrong kind of heat most of the time.

loving hell, why do people get so stupid about the vase pisser? If you want to point at an obvious writer's pet, Aria is right there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

DancingShade posted:

You know I always assumed Kai Leng had the dopey cyber face mask thing because Bioware simply couldn't do a proper asian face in the character creator or something.

Kai Leng takes off his mask and reveals... Mac Walters :confuoot:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

Right, because when I think "Pet character for a new writer making GBS threads all over all past work", I think "Character from the previous head writer's novels who gets his rear end kicked in the last act."

Kai Leng sucks, but he's obviously meant to be the villain you get mad at and want to kill. It's just he draws the wrong kind of heat most of the time.

loving hell, why do people get so stupid about the vase pisser? If you want to point at an obvious writer's pet, Aria is right there.

Because you can ignore Aria completely by not talking to her.

Unless you buy the "best buddies with Aria" DLC in which case you only have yourself to blame.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

chiasaur11 posted:

If you want to point at an obvious writer's pet, Aria is right there.

Standing right next to Liara T'Soni.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Because you can ignore Aria completely by not talking to her.

Unless you buy the "best buddies with Aria" DLC in which case you only have yourself to blame.

You have to talk to her in ME2, where she gives her little "I am Omega :jerkbag:" speech. She's also required for Samara's loyalty mission.

And not being forced doesn't make her, you know, not a pet character. It just makes her being a pet character somewhat less painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Complete with freeze-frame jump-in-the-air ending.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I never saw Kai Leng as a writer self-insert. Sure, he had the best armor in the game, but that was just to give you a person to be pissed off at, because the Reapers are too large and too impersonal to have a hate-boner for.

Also, remember Wrex's story about that Asari he went toe-to-toe with until a space station exploded or something? Wasn't that supposed to be Aria I-keep-a-pet-Krogan T'loak?

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 16, 2017