Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The navy implemented people soft 8-9 years ago. It'll be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you can't find it, grind it!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

The Navy has been helping people stay soft for years

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

"McNally, the system fired your wife for being a no-show even though she's dead. It automatically cut all your survivor benefits and cancelled your ID. We'll figure this out in five, six years tops."

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So by some bizarre twist of fate I’m no longer getting switched out as PL with the guy I thought I was, he’s going to another platoon.

Weirdly every PL right now that’s switching out became a PL several months after I did so I have no idea what’s keeping me here for so long.

Whenever I ask anyone above me where I’m going next nobody knows for sure.

So for the time being I’m going to be going forward as a PL doing things I’ve already done before, like team live fire, squad live fire etc while all the other platoons do them with new PLs.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
6 months later...

Mustang posted:

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS BULLSHIT I'VE BEEN TO NTC, JRTC, AND 3 TIMES TO YAKIMA
MY PLATOON HAS HAD 15 DUIS, 6 RAPES, A HOOKER MURDER, AND A COKE RING BUST
I HAVEN'T BEEN HOME IN 5 MONTHS AND THE NEXT PERSON TO TALK ABOUT COMP TIME IS SUCK-STARTING MY M9

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

So by some bizarre twist of fate I’m no longer getting switched out as PL with the guy I thought I was, he’s going to another platoon.

Weirdly every PL right now that’s switching out became a PL several months after I did so I have no idea what’s keeping me here for so long.

So for the time being I’m going to be going forward as a PL doing things I’ve already done before, like team live fire, squad live fire etc while all the other platoons do them with new PLs.

You’re going to be training them before your journey into XO hell. Abandon all hope, ye who enter :getin:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The thing is all the next crop of XOs has already been identified and I'm not one of them

Unless something changes anyway

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Which of you were loving those vietnamese hookers? Huh? Just own up to it.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

The most important thing to remember about being a PL is that it's just bonus practice time and literally nobody cares as long as you don't get a DUI or kill the wrong person. If you get more PL time, try and take on some commander-level poo poo. Learn about the METL, the QTB, read AR 600-20 and the supply regs. Non-KD jobs are all equally unimportant in the eyes of HRC, so get the most out of it.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Cheer up sir you get to set a new record for most times sent to Yakima

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

The most important thing to remember about being a PL is that it's just bonus practice time and literally nobody cares as long as you don't get a DUI or kill the wrong person. If you get more PL time, try and take on some commander-level poo poo. Learn about the METL, the QTB, read AR 600-20 and the supply regs. Non-KD jobs are all equally unimportant in the eyes of HRC, so get the most out of it.

Why are you telling him to do more work?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
As someone who was enlisted, getting officers to do more work is okay with me!

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Which of you were loving those vietnamese hookers? Huh? Just own up to it.

Me

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Well, outside the National Guard.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Mmm, don't you just love waking up to the smell of sagebrush crushed under your truck?

There's nothing like baby-wiping your balls as the sun rises over the horizon.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I knew it! Report to my office in the morning (and bring pics).

Hope you all had a great thanks giving.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

IPPS-A trip report: after three days of alpha testing, I can say that right now it’s a flaming shitpile that has potential. I hope I can come to more of these. It does feel good being able to direct changes to the system, so anal people like myself can enjoy things like standardized phone number formats. I would’ve appreciated it too if the lead instructor didn’t get so goddamned defensive of his baby.

That said, for something they keep touting as a 21st century HR system, it sure as poo poo feels more like 2002 than 2017.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
2002 is the 21st century :colbert:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkhKn6hZONY

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

love to be referred to as employee in the army with a job code and department

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We got an answer on that too. Congress mandated we use a commercial off the shelf product, which we can tailor to some extent, but any customization, like employee to Soldier, would run us “somewhere around $700,000” every time PeopleSoft got a patch. That’s not to say it can’t happen down the road, but any changes of that nature have to be approved by the 3-Star over the project. They’re going to make a handout with the actual costs soon.

Sidenote: This was only the third user jury they’ve done, and they’re focused on the Guard right now, as they’re supposed to go live next summer.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That sounds like how GCSS-Army changes a bunch of terminology such that it doesn't fit the last 30+ years of Army-speak regarding parts, services, maintenance, etc.

Also the G-Army rollout might have had the worst "interactive" training I've ever taken in my life. It was a practical exercise wherein it just highlighted a block on a page of like 50 possible choices and told you precisely what to enter, which read like UNIX commands or something. It was impossible to do anything other than the right answer or to play around with the system like a training-side site. So it's like riding a bike not only with training wheels, but with a machine doing the steering and pedaling for you on a track and then saying, congratulations and tossing you onto a motorcycle.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The interactive training site for IPPS-A is about the same. It has modules you can watch, then try, then test yourself, but it’s still super finicky. Like, if you knew you needed to scroll down, and you grabbed the scroll bar button and tried to drag it down, it failed because they programmed it to have you click in the scroll bar underneath the button. Or you have to type something in from memory that’s about as long as this sentence and includes special characters.

Most of the UI feedback I gave them was to look at other systems outside the Army and steal them wholesale if needed. I even suggested they look at the goddamn Dominos pizza tracker for the end user to know where their personnel action was at any given moment.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Do I become a shitbag shammer my last few months in the Army, or do I give it my best up until the day I collapse outside Gate 1?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Do I become a shitbag shammer my last few months in the Army, or do I give it my best up until the day I collapse outside Gate 1?

It's the natural order of things.

Once you're on 120-day loss, your troubles are over.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Appointments.

And that stupid transition workshop.

Go home and sleep.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

not caring here posted:

Appointments.

And that stupid transition workshop.

Go home and sleep.

Is is still ACAP? Go do your ETS physical and use that as an excuse to not do PT, then ACAP appoints all the way to the end of the road. or CIF, or whatever else you can make up because nobody you're talking to has been through the process and will know what you're talking about.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Not necessarily true. ACAP was mandatory before we demobilized in Kuwait. I think it was a recent change. I’m sure there’s a difference between the two but unit leadership could very well understand it.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The week long ACAP (I think its TAP or something now) is mandatory but nothing else about it is if you decide you want to go to workshops or whatever.

Edit: and the ETS physical to avoid pt is kind of bullshit, thats not like a real rule or anything just depends on your chain of command and how much they hate you

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
SFL-TAP

Soldier For Life Transition Assistance Program

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Soldier for Life sounds more like a threat :(

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

They wanted some slogan that was as catchy as "once a Marine, always a Marine."

So of course what they came up with was SOLDIER 4 LYF.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
#YOSO

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Can’t stay Army strong if you stop doing PT

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

Can’t stay Army strong if you stop doing PT

That explains my belly

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've actually, in all seriousness, lost weight by smoking pot.

Opiates can make you fat, and if you don't believe me, stop doing them.

I'm high as gently caress off this poo poo I went to last night. It was a thing called Weed for Warriors Project, and I tried it out last night and it was legit as gently caress. I showed up, showed them my rec and dd214 and was pretty much introduced to a party where there were blunts and bowls and dabs just floating around. If you wanted to roll your own, you could with the stuff there which was really cool. Then afterwards they give you this little gift baggy with other cool poo poo like edibles, and I also got some RSO which I really wanted. There weren't any loving weirdos or anything like that, everyone was super chill and I really liked it. I'm probably gonna go back and maybe volunteer for them as a media guy (if they need it because who the gently caress wants to have their picture taken smoking pot?).

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
for those getting out: ACAP isn't required, but they don't tell you that. but i believe you have to get someone in your company to sign off on you not going.

on the other hand, ACAP is a way to sham the gently caress out.

use this information as you wish.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

If you're not doing ACAP or ACAP-related stuff all day, every day for your last several months then you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

boop the snoot posted:

for those getting out: ACAP isn't required, but they don't tell you that. but i believe you have to get someone in your company to sign off on you not going.

on the other hand, ACAP is a way to sham the gently caress out.

use this information as you wish.

Correct.

Didn't go to ACAP got my O3 to sign off on not going.