Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

It's extremely funny that the majority of people oppose estate taxes on dollars over $5m. Anything over $500k should be 50 points on the dollar.

Just suggest to boomers that we take the tax rates back to where they were in the 50s, they should love that concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

:bisonyes: :bisonyes: :bisonyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1729256928847822862

I don't even know what's real anymore

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

https://www.news.com.au/national/co...92f0bbcf403b7c4

lol, filmed last month.

"Hey mate, you know how next month you're going to court for that defamation suit with a media organisation, and you can safely bet your character is going to be placed under some heavy public scrutiny, well I've had an idea..." *pulls out mobile phone*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's that plate for

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP posted:

What's that plate for

the bags

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

this guy is so universally loving despised that this was recorded by someone and then loving released. Absolutely brutal.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
after seeing that footage, he is absolutely guilty

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lethal injection. no police

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-27/citizenship-law-changing-after-high-court-decision/103153718

Well looks like Home Affairs is definitely being run by an enormous sack of poo poo. Clare is on record unreservedly defending the actions of all Home Affairs and AFP staff involved in detention and the recent detention release scheme. I wonder if Mike Pezzullo is included in that defence?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

Melissa Fisher believed her jobseeker payments would be cut off if she didn’t complete a resilience training course.

So the South Australian-based artist, who has a disability and has been on income support for several years, signed up. She found herself being asked to rate her friends and family, whether God played an important role in her life and if she felt grateful she had enough to eat. At one point in the four-day course, she was shown pictures of Brad Pitt in a chicken suit to illustrate how people can go from “nothing to something”.

Job services must shift from merely clipping tickets to actually changing lives. “I found all of it so condescending,” Fisher says of the resilience training run by WISE employment in South Australia “They said that who we have in our life is important and surrounding ourselves with successful people will make us successful. If we surround ourselves with unsuccessful people we will be unsuccessful.” Fisher says she believed the course was part of her mutual obligations which jobseekers are required to undertake otherwise their payments can be suspended. Fisher says she was never told she could choose not to do the course – and other jobseekers across Australia say they also thought the same.

WISE says the course was designed by Esher House, which claims it uses “behavioural science” to help jobseekers find work. WISE has defended the course, saying it is helpful for many jobseekers, is not compulsory and is not a mutual obligation. But welfare advocates say such courses are “social eugenics” which “promote isolating people in poverty from their families”, and don’t help them find suitable work.

On the first day, participants were asked to introduce themselves and what they did on the weekend. The participants described watching movies at home, doing housework – “basically [stayed] at home because we don’t have money”. “And the teacher turned around and said ‘I went out to the Adelaide Hills, we tried a new restaurant. And it was so much fun.’ Well, that’s OK if you can afford it. And the second day she was like ‘I am grateful because last night I went to the dentist.’ I was like you’re kidding? No one here can afford the dentist. “They don’t get how different our lives are.”

Lol, cure your disability and unemployment with positive thinking and better friends. Why aren't you poors more grateful?

This money could definitely not have been better spent by simply giving it to poor people.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Wise employment are loving scum

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Just Elon Musk your disability out of existence.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tried that and now i have very big holes in both my yard and my wallet

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Landmark has helped a lot of people achieve business success I don't see the issue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hooman posted:

quote:

Melissa Fisher believed her jobseeker payments would be cut off if she didn’t complete a resilience training course.

This money could definitely not have been better spent by simply giving it to poor people.

I agreed to do a jobseeker training course this week, when I went to the appointment they handed me a binder full of available course and told me I had to pick one and I said "None of these are in any fields I'm interested in?" and they told me that didn't matter, I still had to do a 4 week training course even if I had zero interest in whatever it was about. I picked the one that seemed the least annoying and they said they'd arrange it all for me and that was the last I heard about it. The course was supposed to start on Monday but if they don't tell me where the course is being held then that's not my fault, is it? :shrug: :v:

I just rang them up now to ask about it and after getting passed around a few times and put on hold for a while they told me "We're looking at new times we can sign you up to the course"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hooman posted:

Lol, cure your disability and unemployment with positive thinking and better friends. Why aren't you poors more grateful?

Oh hey I know this one. It's so much bullshit and sad part is they're apparently among the better 'employment providers'.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-27/citizenship-law-changing-after-high-court-decision/103153718

Well looks like Home Affairs is definitely being run by an enormous sack of poo poo. Clare is on record unreservedly defending the actions of all Home Affairs and AFP staff involved in detention and the recent detention release scheme. I wonder if Mike Pezzullo is included in that defence?

Clare O'Neil posted:

"I support preventive detention and that is why I will be bringing a proposal back to the parliament."

No alarm bells here. Can't see how this could ever be misused.

Clare O'Neil posted:

Secondly, I will make no apologies for doing everything within my power to deport this person from our country. I’m not going to apologise for that. In fact I would say again to the parliament that if I had any legal power ...

Cool cool coool cool cool.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

they're apparently among the better 'employment providers'.

When I had to do a mutual obligation activity with my previous jobseeker provider they ran in-house 'classes' where they'd put a few dozen of us in a room three days a week and lecture us for several hours. The first week was the usual low effort bullshit but when we turned up the second week they handed out the course notes for the day and we went "Hey, we did this exact lesson last week" and they went "Yep, and we're doing it again today!"
I sat patiently through that 'class' and then went home, phoned Centrelink and got transferred over to a different provider.

They get extra funding for running these mutual obligation activities, any education that might happen as a result is purely coincidental.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Get hosed Gerry.

quote:

Harvey Norman has copped a staggering vote against executive pay as the white goods retailer posted a 7.8 per cent decline in sales over the last five months, during which consumers became more conscientious about their shopping decisions.

The overwhelming majority, some 81.8 per cent of the retailer’s shareholders, voted against the company’s remuneration report at its annual general meeting on Wednesday, where executive chairman and co-founder Gerry Harvey launched a blistering attack on a representative from a retail shareholder association.
Harvey Norman chairman Gerry Harvey launched an attack on the Australian Shareholders Association and copped a strike against its remuneration report.

Harvey Norman chairman Gerry Harvey launched an attack on the Australian Shareholders Association and copped a strike against its remuneration report.Credit: Dean Sewell

“How did you get this job?” Harvey said to former Australian Shareholders Association (ASA) chair Allan Goldin in response to questions about the remuneration report. “Can you ever be positive about anything? You’re a negative bastard,” he said to other questions about franchise operations and revenue.

ASA, a non-profit association representing retail shareholders, expressed concerns about the board’s independence and pay transparency. It did not support the remuneration report, the re-election of chief financial officer Chris Mentis, the performance rights (bonuses) of Harvey, his wife and chief executive Katie Page, executive director David Matthew Ackery, chief operating officer John Evyn Slack-Smith, and company secretary Chris Mentis.

“ASA’s major problem ... is that the Remuneration Committee who created it cannot in all fairness be considered independent,” ASA said in its voting intentions report. “It was thought before the commencement of the 2023 year that there was going to be underperformance on the prior year, but to make sure that the executive directors still got a bonus in a poor year they just lowered the entry target.”
Related Article
Gerry Harvey
Appliances
Gerry Harvey gives activist shareholder a spray as company receives second strike

Harvey told this masthead that the company’s management should “absolutely not” bear any responsibility for the overwhelming strike against the remuneration report, arguing that its remuneration was comparatively low compared to other ASX companies. The executive pay strike is not the first for Harvey Norman: in 2019, the company suffered a second strike, but avoided a board spill.

“It’s just ridiculous,” Harvey said. “The proxy adviser should take full blame.”

Harvey Norman’s share price has not suffered from the strike or the declining sales numbers, with investors sending the share price up 3.6 per cent in afternoon trading.

The $4.6 billion white goods retailer also operates in New Zealand, Slovenia, Croatia, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Singapore and Malaysia. Australia was Harvey Norman’s worst-performing market between July 1 and November 25, with sales down 11.6 per cent along with a 2.6 per cent drop in New Zealand.

Harvey Norman opened one new store in the ACT and four new stores in Malaysia, with Harvey defending the company’s strategy to double down on investing in physical showrooms.

Harvey said the retailer’s Black Friday sales had been “very strong”, but conceded it was impacted by high traffic volumes that saw its website slow to a “snail’s pace” between 8am to 8pm on Friday.

“We lost quite a lot of online business,” he said, adding that many people who couldn’t make purchases online came into a store or phoned the customer line.

Harvey said he would be asking the IT department why the website lagged given it had received similar traffic levels in previous Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. “I don’t think it’ll happen to us again, I’ll bet anything.”
Related Article
Retail analysts have been bracing for more pain among discretionary retailers for the rest of the 2023 year.
Retail
Harvey Norman’s earnings slump signals start of a retail retreat

Harvey Norman tends to target the middle higher-income consumers, who tend to be older with more money to spend. Over recent months, Harvey said the average transaction price had diminished, with Australians who might normally spend $3000 on a fridge, washing machine or TV opting to spend $2000 instead.

“They are a little more careful with their dollars,” he said. “We obviously try to attack the middle-to-upper more because your average selling price is higher and your margin’s better, and you’re selling a better product … We’re spending a lot more money on our stores with presentation, so we’re concentrating strongly in that area."

However, he is now richer than ever. Bring on the guillotine.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
In other news, edit found it here

quote:

After Ms Higgins’ allegations were made public, four other women came forward with their own stories of Bruce Lehrmann involving heavy drinking and unwanted sexual activity. One got off lightly when she was groped under a table at a dinner in 2017. A former Liberal Party intern accused him of raping her during the 2016 Federal Election campaign when she was a teenaged school-leaver volunteer. He bought her double vodkas and tequila shots all night, she said, and when she was so drunk she vomited, offered to “look after her” at his hotel “just around the corner”. She alleged he raped her as she laid passed out in his room, waking bleeding with him on top of her. A third woman alleged Lehrmann raped her in 2020, noting sadly that if Brittany’s accusations had been dealt with effectively in 2019, she may have been spared. “He kept buying me drinks, and I’m a lightweight when it comes to that… I was drunk and he just got on top of me, I said no, and then he was inside of me and I kept saying no.” Lehrmann’s flatmate in 2019-20 Kriti Gupta said his constant aggressive unwanted sexual advances when he came home after long bouts of drinking made her feel so unsafe in her own home that she barricaded her bedroom door to keep him out. He has since been charged with another count of rape following an incident in Toowoomba in October 2021.

How does anyone have the time for all this I ask you.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 29, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he just cant stop raping

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

In other news, edit found it here

How does anyone have the time for all this I ask you.

My "not a convicted rapist" shirt is raising many questions already answered by my shirt.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

What loving scum.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This is the guy suing because his reputation has been negatively affected. Jesus Christ

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

oval office is a rapist. It's demonstrated.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Gerry Harvey says businesses should pass on cost increases through higher prices despite RBA's inflation warning

Can't believe they still have to defrost this dinosaur and it's still newsworthy.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I know they abandoned the trial because of concern for Higgens health, but is there scope for it to be revisited or is that a legal no-no. Because jesus christ this defamation suit...

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
In more unsurprising news.

ABC News posted:

Harvey shire rejects bid to scrap Indigenous Welcome to Country ceremonies at council events

Councillor Craig Carbone last month proposed removing the traditional practice before council events, and labelled them "tokenistic" and "virtue signalling".

The proposal included scrapping the Acknowledgement of Country, and the Welcome to Country, which are usually conducted by local Aboriginal leaders and elders. This was last night rejected by the council, after significant backlash from the Harvey Aboriginal Corporation (HAC) and South West Aboriginal Land and Sea Council. The shire, based about 140 kilometres south of Perth, will instead consult with Indigenous people as part of a broader review of the protocols, with the process likely to start next year. Cr Carbone has previously said the recent rejection of the Voice to Parliament represented a shift in community attitudes, and that he would not consult HAC on the issue.

At least this council did the right thing and told this oval office to gently caress off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

In more unsurprising news.

At least this council did the right thing and told this oval office to gently caress off.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-30/sa-acknowledgement-of-country-scrapped-city-playford/103169912

Thank gently caress we rejected the tokenism of the Voice so we can empower dickheads to remove other tokenism like the acknowledgement.

This is the future the Progressive No wanted!!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Should strip him of his councillor title for using the phrase virtue signalling

https://twitter.com/daanysaeed/status/1730003960344502705?t=wA01YncEo3f14DYQG3hdiQ&s=19

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Climate Report Card is in:

Guardian Au posted:

Emissions increased 0.8% in Labor’s first full year in office, data shows

The dump of climate change reports and data today includes the latest quarterly data on greenhouse gas emissions, and illustrates the challenge the country and the government faces. It shows emissions increased in Labor’s first full year in office, rising 0.8% in the year to June. To some extent this was already built in as pollution was rebounding after falling during Covid-19 lockdowns.

Emissions from transport - cars, trucks and places - increased by 7.8% last financial year, reflecting the recovery from travel restrictions. Agriculture emissions were up 3.8%, mostly because it was wet and production returned to pre-drought levels. These increases were greater than the 3.5% fall in emissions from electricity generation and a smaller drop in fugitive emissions from coalmines. While the rises in transport and agriculture were expected, both will need to be addressed. Australia does not yet have significant national policies to cut transport or agriculture emissions.

The emissions report says national emissions are down 24.5% since 2005. But the overwhelming majority of this is due to changes in land use - agricultural land-clearing and logging - mostly unrelated to climate policy. Emissions from the rest of the economy - including fossil fuel industries - have fallen only slightly.

Hmm well maybe we're still going ok...?

Guardian AU posted:

· Australia is not yet on track to meet its 2030 targets. Ambition and momentum in the form of targets and policies must translate quickly into action and emissions reductions.

· Achieving Australia’s 2030-point target relies heavily on meeting the government’s 82% renewable energy target. The risks of falling short should be addressed by further action to support renewables and stronger pursuit of emissions reductions elsewhere in the economy.

· Beyond the safeguard mechanism (this is the policy mechanism to reduce emissions from heavy industrial polluters) the government should continue to explore opportunities to accelerate emission reductions at industrial facilities, including with a view to increasing the contribution of the sector to the achievement of Australia’s 2030 target.

· A fuel efficiency standard should be introduced as soon as possible, with the aim of achieving zero tailpipe emissions no later than 2040.

:eng101:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

This is the future the Progressive No wanted!!

Oh my god shut up, no it loving isn't

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

GrandTheftAutism posted:

You voted against it, knowing that it would embolden racists like this, how is this not what you wanted? I thought you embraced the consequences of your actions?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Maybe you shouldnt have voted the same way as people who very obviously did want this?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GrandTheftAutism posted:

no need to bite every baited hook, fellow poster

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its funnier if you just let them take petty shots knowing they did the one thing they are willing to do to improve indigenous outcomes and they can sit back knowing better things simply arent possible bc electoralism is simply the only thing that works

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
love to psychically read the minds of auspol posters to determine they're doing nothing except voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I voted "No, but everyone has to be nice to me"