Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I will say that I skipped a fair few episodes while watching from the start and I don't think I really got hooked until I watched Measure of a Man, if I had watched another ~5 episodes of the sort of quality or worse of some of the weaker episodes that I did watch, I probably would have given up before then. I'm basically watching every episode now and I can tell there's a pretty big difference in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BonHair posted:

If you're into sex ghost candles I guess.

Dead Grandma rises from the grave Dracula style and tries to kill everyone with Force Lightning.

It is one of the best episodes.

I love how I'm not even making any part of that sentence up. That's literally what happens.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 4, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yeah, Sub Rosa is an absolute must watch however you're doing it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was reading a particularly erotic passage from my grandmother's journal...

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm still thinking sboutnit having watched sub rosa a few days ago. It absolutely seems like a parody episode and definitely fits into "it's so bad it's good" category.

Masks is coming up soon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dysgenesis posted:

I'm still thinking sboutnit having watched sub rosa a few days ago. It absolutely seems like a parody episode and definitely fits into "it's so bad it's good" category.

Masks is coming up soon.

Masks is good, it's just intentionally inscrutable and overacted.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
To be fair, Brent Spiner didn't get nearly enough time to prepare for that one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

To be fair, Brent Spiner didn't get nearly enough time to prepare for that one.

I don't blame Spiner. I think overacting is the right choice for what the episode's plot asks of the "roles," they're specifically performances and hamming it up fits that really well.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
French being an obscure dead language is one of the most important scenes in the whole series :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

Maybe if people watched it you'd get less "why is Picard french but with an english accent??"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

a non-observant cultural frenchman

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He just claims he's French for the extra holidays

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

Yeah I was going to say there’s a couple episodes that are just (unintentionally perhaps) morally vile these days and do deserve forewarning. “The Outcast” in TNG is the only one past the first season that I can think of, since it’s a conversion therapy story.
The Trill one where they act like it's a basic fact Crusher has to dump the love interest of the week now that the symbiont's in a female host is also kind of uncomfortable now, though I haven't seen that one in a long time so maybe I'm misremembering how they handle it.

I think DS9's mirror universe episodes are also pretty awkward now with the whole evil women=bisexual subtext.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

The Trill one where they act like it's a basic fact Crusher has to dump the love interest of the week now that the symbiont's in a female host is also kind of uncomfortable now, though I haven't seen that one in a long time so maybe I'm misremembering how they handle it.

I think DS9's mirror universe episodes are also pretty awkward now with the whole evil women=bisexual subtext.

Having rewatched it recently, it's handled pretty alright. Everyone else is okay with it, it's Crusher herself who basically says "I'm sorry I don't swing that way" to the Trill going "hey we can still be in a relationship." It's clearly Crusher's personal choice, and that's what it should be.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Arivia posted:

Having rewatched it recently, it's handled pretty alright. Everyone else is okay with it, it's Crusher herself who basically says "I'm sorry I don't swing that way" to the Trill going "hey we can still be in a relationship." It's clearly Crusher's personal choice, and that's what it should be.
Okay, that's cool then. I just remember it was like the last 30 seconds of the episode and wrapped up super quick.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Knormal posted:

Okay, that's cool then. I just remember it was like the last 30 seconds of the episode and wrapped up super quick.

The first host dies pretty early on, then it's Crusher dealing with grief and trying to sort out her feelings while the symbiote is in Riker, which makes up most of the episode. The new host arriving and being female is the end of the arc and kind of a "okay yeah this DEFINITELY isn't gonna work" even further twist instead of the majority of it being "hey Crusher you bi or pan."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Tonight's DS9 episode was "If Wishes Were Horses." Interesting "your mind makes it real" episode. Really hoping this is the end of the "Bashir keeps trying to pursue a relationship with Dax despite her repeatedly shutting him down" plotline.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

W.T. Fits posted:

Really hoping this is the end of the "Bashir keeps trying to pursue a relationship with Dax despite her repeatedly shutting him down" plotline.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I want to like Bashir because he's best friends with Garak, but so far there's too many episodes without Garak.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A lot of cool themes in the Voth episode of Voyager. Sapient dinosaurs who deny their evolutionary history and instead cling to radical religious beliefs? It's almost like someone in the writers room wanted to do a too-on-the-nose satire of the intelligent design movement that was gaining steam at the time.

Most surprising thing is that they let the bad guys win, but not necessarily in a totally complete way. Actually mirrors how the ID movement won a lot of state level battles and we largely just don't talk about it anymore. It was kind of the trial balloon for the anti-trans and parents rights laws we're seeing now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DavidCameronsPig posted:

I think it’s less 1950s IBM getting an iPad and more 1960s IBM getting the specifications for building an ARM chip. Like, yeah, they won’t have the machinery or materials to turn around and make a smartphone, but it’s be enough to leapfrog to the Acorn 20 years ahead.

Not really, because the materials are the important bit there, not the instruction set architecture. Ok so they get a preview of RISC but given what they're working with (slower transistors, slower and much smaller memory) that might not even be appropriate. And the System/360 was and is already quite a clean architecture by the standards of the time.

What you'd really want is a fab, but that is a MUCH bigger proposition.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

by the 29th century, humanity has developed the arts of education and user interface to such a degree that even a lanky stoner from a primitive world can quickly become acquainted w their technology

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Squizzle posted:

even a lanky stoner from a primitive world

But enough about Harry Kim

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Okona looks like early season Mac from IASIP before the show was successful enough for him to afford food.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I finished both parts of Scorpion last night, do I'm officially in Voyager's fourth season. 7 has only just barely been introduced, so let's see what chemistry she brings to the cast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I finished both parts of Scorpion last night, do I'm officially in Voyager's fourth season. 7 has only just barely been introduced, so let's see what chemistry she brings to the cast.

Congratulations, you're now in the high point of Voyager. Season 4 and 5 are overall pretty good.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's raining cats and dogs in tonight's DS9 episode "The Forsaken," in which O'Brien adopts a puppy and Odo befriends a cougar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lwaxana in that episode embodies the absolute finest aspects of values like compassion, empathy, and understanding that underpin the Federation. I think it's Majel's best episode.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Lwaxana in that episode embodies the absolute finest aspects of values like compassion, empathy, and understanding that underpin the Federation. I think it's Majel's best episode.

It's probably my favorite scene in all of DS9.

I just watched Looking For Par'Mach In All The Wrong Places. Great episode. A little weird how Odo gets really snide about Kira being into Miles.

Also Kira-O'Brien's thing is kind of hot, I will not be taking questions.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm watching Frasier and surprised to see that Star Trek alums turn up in back to back episodes.

Brent Spiner is a physicist that Lilith meets on a flight between Boston and Seattle.
Nana Visitor has a few lines as a guest at Niles and Daphne's dinner party.

I remember Brent Spiner's appearance, but never noticed Nana Visitor before.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash! posted:

I'm watching Frasier and surprised to see that Star Trek alums turn up in back to back episodes.

Brent Spiner is a physicist that Lilith meets on a flight between Boston and Seattle.

There are a lot of Trek connections. Obviously Grammer was on an episode of TNG, but other cast members had cameos on Trek series like Saul Rubinek (Kivas Fajo in The Most Toys on TNG), Dan Butler (episode of Voyager), Bebe Neuwirth (TNG), Virginia Madsen (VOY), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Anthony Montgomery (Travis Mayweather on ENT), Teri Hatcher (TNG), Patrick Stewart, John Carroll Lynch (VOY), Robert Picardo, Penny Johnson-Jerald (Kasidy Yates on DS9), Vaughn Armstrong (was on like every show from TNG-ENT), and a lot more

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

In tonight's episode of DS9, "Dramatis Personae," everything was perfectly normal and nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

But if... hypothetically speaking... something were to happen, say... a power struggle between Sisko and Kira... whose side would you take? Or would you even take a side? Perhaps you'd be content to simply wait and see who comes out on top. Not the smartest play, to be frank. If you really cared about securing your place on the station, you'd decide who your friends are sooner rather than later.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

There are a lot of Trek connections. Obviously Grammer was on an episode of TNG, but other cast members had cameos on Trek series like Saul Rubinek (Kivas Fajo in The Most Toys on TNG), Dan Butler (episode of Voyager), Bebe Neuwirth (TNG), Virginia Madsen (VOY), Rene Auberjonois (Odo), Anthony Montgomery (Travis Mayweather on ENT), Teri Hatcher (TNG), Patrick Stewart, John Carroll Lynch (VOY), Robert Picardo, Penny Johnson-Jerald (Kasidy Yates on DS9), Vaughn Armstrong (was on like every show from TNG-ENT), and a lot more

Stewart and Auberjonois are probably the most notable Trek actors on Frasier, in that they're both very prominent characters in their appearances: PStew is an opera director that Frasier ends up inadvertently dating when a typical misunderstanding leads to Frasier being believed to be gay, and Auberjonois is Frasier's old mentor who he goes to for advice when he's struggling with his own personal unhappiness.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

davidspackage posted:

Also Kira-O'Brien's thing is kind of hot, I will not be taking questions.

The O'Brien polycule is very real.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Cheers/Frasier is just a popular holodeck program.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Cheers/Frasier is just a popular holodeck program.

Paris instead chose Chez Sandrine because he's a goddamn hipster. He's into old cars, and black and white serials, and bars you've never heard of.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Janeway is fine with that because she's happy for people to forget she played a 20th century politician opposite Captain Bateson and things got steamy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Janeway is fine with that because she's happy for people to forget she played a 20th century politician opposite Captain Bateson and things got steamy.

Wasn't her character hooked up with Sam Malone, not Frasier?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't her character hooked up with Sam Malone, not Frasier?

You are correct because I somehow had my wires completely crossed and put Kelsey Grammer in as the star of Cheers despite knowing full well he is not.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Sash! posted:

I read an interview with Grammer, where he said they filmed TNG right next door to Frasier, so it led to a lot of cameo and guest spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seinfeld has a lot as well. For bigger roles in their respective shows, you have Jason Alexander in an episode of Voyager, Michelle Forbes as George's girlfriend who took credit for the big salad, and Armin Shimerman as Kramer's caddy. Others include Lloyd Braun as a creepy guy hitting on Troi in TNG, Jerry's girlfriend who sees George's shrinkage as the third Ziyal, Mr. Wilhelm as Admiral Paris, Mr. Morgan as Tuvix, Mr. Lippmann as the main alien in Tattoo, the woman George dated who was into pastrami as Cutler from Enterprise, and a bunch more.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 7, 2023