Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Karach posted:

Soon, kids will need to have a multi-year unpaid internship at Canadian Tire or Tim Hortons to be eligible for post-secondary training

We already mandated free labor from kids to graduate HS when adults stopped handing it out en masse as poo poo got worse after 90s austerity, whats one more step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Interesting article from a former producer at the CBC detailing how the sausage is made internally w.r.t. reporting on Israel and Palestine.

https://breachmedia.ca/cbc-whitewashed-israels-crimes-gaza-firsthand/

i started quoting parts of it but really just the whole thing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

i started quoting parts of it but really just the whole thing

yeah I just finished reading this too, it's a good read

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

StealthArcher posted:

We already mandated free labor from kids to graduate HS when adults stopped handing it out en masse as poo poo got worse after 90s austerity, whats one more step.

If you were a white kid you could just bullshit the forms for that and nobody would check up on you

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Oxyclean posted:

Saw on reddit, but lmao Shoppers has a linkedin posting for volunteer positions:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/...sOGL%2BvQ%3D%3D

lmao imagine not only asking for people to work for free, but also having qualifications.

Makes me think of those "heartwarming: random customers help dollar tree employees stock shelves (because they are chronically understaffed) type headlines.

this stopped me in my tracks, what in shameless tarnation

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Apparently it was just a mistake everyone, no need to get all worked up

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/sh...88e3957858.html

quote:

In response to the post on X, the official Shoppers Drug Mart X account wrote, The information posted was a mistake and not accurate; we do not have volunteers at our store.

We apologize for any confusion this may have caused, it added.

In a statement to the Star, Dave Bauer, director of media relations for Loblaw said the posting was put up by an individual franchisee and not the company.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lmao at the failed companies on the Hal list. What post

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
things are going great in Saskatchewan.

threats and intimidation of the speaker, including lunging at him, almost head butting him, and seeming gun threats. I think they are as rotten as some state governments in the US.

https://youtu.be/1mQGVRViPLo?si=RzgM2Wmr8gb4VRZw

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

digitalist posted:

Apparently it was just a mistake everyone, no need to get all worked up

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/sh...88e3957858.html

Just put up by a person authorized to run and manage a shoppers drug mart and therefore not representative of shoppers drug mart

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
What would a 2024 HAL company list look like

Neo Financial
shopify
CIBC
hootsuite
CNRL
bombardier
Uhh honda canada
Bell

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

T.C. posted:

Just put up by a person authorized to run and manage a shoppers drug mart and therefore not representative of shoppers drug mart

Exactly, so glad it got sorted out. Also, was nice to see their stock price increase 1.24% percent today to reach an all time high of $157.07, I'm guessing it's because of their strong moral and ethical practices, investors love that.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

seems like the government needs to step in and see if Shoppers Drug mart is using unpaid workers.... oh im getting word the government infact loves this and they are all cheering on the other end.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
another canadian success story for hal's list

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
It was a mistake in the sense that the dude really wishes he hadn't, not in the sense that he didn't mean to. I'm sure this commenting will make corporate much happier.

https://dailyhive.com/canada/shoppers-drug-mart-job-posting-unpaid-volunteer

quote:

“That post was a mistake, as we don’t hire volunteers at Shoppers Drug Mart. All my employees are getting paid, and a good rate,” pharmacist Emil Harba said. He further explained that he had been considering a way to address the many inquiries he receives from people looking to gain invaluable experience on a volunteer basis.

“I receive a lot of emails and LinkedIn messages asking for volunteer opportunities, but I don’t respond. However, I saw that volunteer is an option on LinkedIn when you post for a job, and I just wanted to try it to see if I can help anyone gain Canadian experience (as other kinds of jobs do usually) knowing that I have full staff now,” he says.

“I then received a note that we don’t do volunteering and I quickly closed the position. However, I couldn’t delete the post.”

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"gain Canadian experience"?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
A lot of employers wont consider your experience if its from another country until you meet some arbitrary minimum of indentured servitude . Helps keeps the browns out.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
that's neat

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Neo Financial
shopify
CIBC
hootsuite
CNRL
bombardier
Uhh honda canada
Bell

Probably even fewer than that. Hootsuite and shopify have had huge layoffs recently.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I want unilever to merge with bombardier

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Neo Financial
shopify
CIBC
hootsuite
CNRL
bombardier
Uhh honda canada
Bell

ubisoft

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pokeyman posted:

"gain Canadian experience"?

Eating poutine and digging a mass grave to grind my Canadian skill

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Eating poutine and digging a mass grave to grind my Canadian skill

I just run my guy into a wall and tape down the Hire TFW button overnight.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

T.C. posted:

It was a mistake in the sense that the dude really wishes he hadn't, not in the sense that he didn't mean to. I'm sure this commenting will make corporate much happier.

I'm sure he got lot of emails from fine people such as Hugh Jass, Seymore Butts, and I. P. Freely. Certainly all honest offers to volunteer and not at all the target of many Canadians anger at such a ridiculous concept that was just begging to be flooded with troll applications.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZShakespeare posted:

I want unilever to merge with bombardier

Unibombar

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Neo Financial
shopify
CIBC
hootsuite
CNRL
bombardier
Uhh honda canada
Bell

AtkinsRealis

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Nutrien is pretty big. All other countries have inferior potash

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

T.C. posted:

I just wanted to test the waters of slavery and see if it would work

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

https://x.com/CanadaFP/status/1791142540856402075

I am.... Da Joker

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Karach posted:

Finally picked up Ducks the other day, it kicks rear end. Having worked with lots of blue collar dudes who've worked in the oil field the dialogue felt very true to life, as did the presentation of the types of people you meet in an environment like that. It's like 80% assholes and then every once in a while these philosophical guys who have seen through all the bullshit and figured out how to detach themselves enough to survive day to day without becoming monsters. Not to mention all the secret drug addicts. If somebody seems unusually amped up all the time, there's a reason!

Oh, I will have to get that soon. This post resonates with my experience with my own blue collar union local.

I look back at union organizing from 50 to 100 years ago and I have no idea how we ever got where we are. My main explanation has been a combination of more sophisticated propaganda and more comfortable working conditions for key members of the working class has shattered broad worker solidarity.

Edit: to clarify, I mean why do unions exist, and if they didn't already exist could we ever build something like that from the ground up given the political landscape and opinions held by the broad working class?

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 15:09 on May 17, 2024

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Neo Financial
shopify
CIBC
hootsuite
CNRL
bombardier
Uhh honda canada
Bell

Loblaws

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'd say the threat posed by the USSR played a role, and it did, but why isn't China filling that same role?

Or are we just not there yet?

I dunno. It sounds dramatic to say, but it's really the conundrum at the center of my life's work.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Georgia?

I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

After the war the capitalist class made concessions to social welfare and minor reforms to keep people complacent. Combined with the continuation and intensification of interwar efforts to crush leftists, not to mention the collapse of society with the shift to individualised suburban paradise and the reorienting of social dynamics from WASP vs French vs Irish/Italian/Polish etc (with Indigenous and Black and Asian, of course, at the bottom) to a more straightforward White (all inclusive) vs Non-White (huge generalisation but whatever). A couple decades of relative prosperity for the newly united White middleclass after the war
- followed by a mostly unimpeded immiseration of all but the richest - left a serious imprint that propagandists and the politico class continue to harken back to

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Yeah, it loving sucks.

It's like we won just enough to lock us into a pattern where very little progress or solidarity is now possible.

Bargaining occurs at a local, workplace level, but rather than lift up others when you've achieved some improvement in workplace conditions, workers focus only on the next hurdle for their particular situation or even worse it makes people convinced the whole problem is solved because it is for them personally.

Added to the material changes outlined above, it's bred a very myopic labor movement inside the core.

There are exceptions of course, but that's the general rule. Craft unionism is a cancer that infects the entire movement.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Unions are still ftw, even the ones full of those drat dirty rural chuds who should be killed, they just need to start working together again. Got close to a real general strike in Ontariona couple years back. I really, really hope union members on the leadership/organising side of things are paying attention to that

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

:pusheen:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jesus the Saskatchewan house speaker story is insane. Tories wanting to bring handguns and hunting rifles into the legislature, throwing death threats at the speaker and Premier Moe-ron calling him a sore loser.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

My landlord has decided that me parking my motorcycle in front of my car in my parking spot is not acceptable and has told me I have to stop since the lease says he only provides parking for 1 vehicle and he wants the motorycle gone. He also has refused to rent me another parking spot.

So I said "okay no problem", moved my car to street parking, and reported him to the city for operating a multi-family housing complex without a business license. :dings:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I've also begun taking a photo of the overflowing trash in the alleyway because it also says in the lease that garbage removal and yard work is included in my rent and he only has a regular house-sized trash bin that the city provides because the city didn't know until yesterday that this building a multi-family housing with 5 or more units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol good luck bud