Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Happy Hedonist posted:

You don’t need it, but it’s all about the fashion.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Scaling in DS2 reflects a percentage of your related ATK Up stat, without reference to the weapon's base damage. Because Dex weapons swing more often, the multiplier used by scaling for Dex is less than other stats to maintain more consistent overall DPS.
The problem with that is weapons having both str and dex scaling at the same time. Dex weapons are typically faster than str weapons, but for say a longsword, it swings exactly as fast when you upgrade dex as it does with str. It has a C scaling on both, but the str scaling is twice as high. You also get similar problems if you elementally infuse a weapon. Now dex weapons are still faster than str weapons in general, but the elemental scaling stat no longer compensates for that fact.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Why do people dislike this game? I played Soulsborne in the order BB -> DS1 -> DS3 -> Sekiro and I kinda skipped over DS2 because I heard it was mediocre. I just realized I purchased it awhile ago and decided to give it a spin... and it's pretty good? It feels exactly like the game you would expect between DS1 and DS3. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it seems like it has that weird, janky RPG feel of DS1 (this is a good thing) with better movement and controls that would ultimately move more into action game territory with BB and DS3.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's some people who can't get over some control peculiarities of DS2 (e.g. you don't start to move immediately after tilting the stick, turning is a little slow), which is fair.

The level design is also pretty bad a lot of times and it could look way better.

For a lot of others, it's a mix of "not what I expected" and a meme

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There were a couple of design missteps with this game that people really didn't like, such as the changes to rolls and introduction of the agility stat, and the concept of soul memory, that got really overblown early on.

Personally this is my favorite soulsborne game. 2 probably has the weakest story and artistic vision, but gameplay-wise it is my absolute favorite. BB and 3 are way too twitchy for my taste. I really prefer the slower and more deliberate style of combat that you get with 1 and 2. And between the two of those, I enjoyed 2's pvp much more simply because it didn't have the glitchy tech (like toggle escape). 2 also had the best variety of weapons and armor in my opinion.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I like 2's story :)

Is good game, glad you're enjoying it New Player. Don't forget the dlc's, theyre great too.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

NicelyNice posted:

Why do people dislike this game? I played Soulsborne in the order BB -> DS1 -> DS3 -> Sekiro and I kinda skipped over DS2 because I heard it was mediocre. I just realized I purchased it awhile ago and decided to give it a spin... and it's pretty good? It feels exactly like the game you would expect between DS1 and DS3. I'm enjoying it quite a bit, it seems like it has that weird, janky RPG feel of DS1 (this is a good thing) with better movement and controls that would ultimately move more into action game territory with BB and DS3.

Uneven level design, a relative lack of creative enemies (there's a lot of variations of your basic zombie type bad guy who lumbers around and tries to hit you with a three hit combo), an overall bad boss lineup at release. This is my favourite soulsborne game but, uh, it's not flawless.

The DLC was a big step up in quality and gave us, for my money, some of the best content in the series, including some really good bosses. But ds2 at release was realistically like 7/10 at best, even if the new control peculiarites and mechanical changes from ds1 don't bother you at all

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I too had a tough time getting into the game, but it won me over hard. The DLCs are indeed phenomenal, and the weapon variety is just the best.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

Uneven level design, a relative lack of creative enemies (there's a lot of variations of your basic zombie type bad guy who lumbers around and tries to hit you with a three hit combo), an overall bad boss lineup at release. This is my favourite soulsborne game but, uh, it's not flawless.

The same complaints could be said about DS1, I guess. Totally digging this one - I never played DS1 at release, so the control scheme felt a little too ancient. I also probably shouldn't have played on the Switch at 30 FPS, occasionally on a small screen. Really enjoying the slow combat of DS1 without the clunky controls. The world is pretty interesting so far, as well, just No Man's Wharf and every area feels really distinct, a bit more magical and fantastic which is kinda fun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

The level design is also pretty bad a lot of times and it could look way better.

No matter how many times I see it explained, I will never understand why people are forgiving of DS1's godawful endgame but not forgiving of DS2's just kinda middling levels. Then again, I never liked DS1 as much as most people, so the arguments never really resonate.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 25, 2020

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
DS2 starts poorly, but I ended up liking it more than DS1. It does a really poor job of hooking the player, everything just looks uninspired. Once I got to play it enough, I found that it plays a lot better though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

King of Solomon posted:

No matter how many times I see it explained, I will never understand why people are forgiving of DS1's godawful endgame but not forgiving of DS2's just kinda middling levels. Then again, I never liked DS1 as much as most people, so the arguments never really resonate.

It’s because DS1 opens with its strongest material and gives people a reason to want to complete the game even if the standard drops, whereas in DS2 you have to play through a bunch of garbage levels like Heide and Forest and Copse at the start and the really good levels are backloaded and optional.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

skasion posted:

It’s because DS1 opens with its strongest material and gives people a reason to want to complete the game even if the standard drops, whereas in DS2 you have to play through a bunch of garbage levels like Heide and Forest and Copse at the start and the really good levels are backloaded and optional.

Heide and the Forest aren't bad levels. Heide's biggest crime is being short and having an easy boss.

Plus, DS1's best levels are kinda in the middle, with Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, and I can't imagine how having one of DS1's best levels right before one of the worst levels in the series is a GOOD thing for the game's perception.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 25, 2020

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I'm not forgiving DS1 for anything, I'm admitting that despite me liking DS2 best there are some lovely loving zones in it. Not true garbage like Izalith (even though I largely don't mind it except for the lava sea part, the city is great), but way below potential, boring stretches, little variety things.

Shaded Woods including the mist part (the part before Najka is fine). Doors of Pharros and the other rat area, especially if nobody does the online. Tseldora at first, and the many points of no return on the way to Freija. Every connection area (path to Heide, inside the tower of, the way to the castle...). All varying levels of boring and eh.

There's great stuff too. Bastille owns to explore, though it looks a bit boring and grey. Iron Keep and its many traps you can utilize for yourself. Poison windmill is great, gently caress the haters. Even Amana is interesting and beautiful. But every time I replay the game, there's a bunch of "guess I gotta" areas where I just cruise control through.

SotFS fixed some by adding more interesting encounters (e.g. Falconers), but you can only do so much with corridors.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

I'm not forgiving DS1 for anything, I'm admitting that despite me liking DS2 best there are some lovely loving zones in it. Not true garbage like Izalith (even though I largely don't mind it except for the lava sea part, the city is great), but way below potential, boring stretches, little variety things.

Shaded Woods including the mist part (the part before Najka is fine). Doors of Pharros and the other rat area, especially if nobody does the online. Tseldora at first, and the many points of no return on the way to Freija. Every connection area (path to Heide, inside the tower of, the way to the castle...). All varying levels of boring and eh.

There's great stuff too. Bastille owns to explore, though it looks a bit boring and grey. Iron Keep and its many traps you can utilize for yourself. Poison windmill is great, gently caress the haters. Even Amana is interesting and beautiful. But every time I replay the game, there's a bunch of "guess I gotta" areas where I just cruise control through.

SotFS fixed some by adding more interesting encounters (e.g. Falconers), but you can only do so much with corridors.

Oh sorry, I'm not saying you're saying that. It's more of a general statement, people tend to forgive DS1 for real awful levels while giving DS2 a bunch of poo poo for having some middling level design.

vvvv It's real good. vvvv

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This image will always be hilarious to me

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NicelyNice posted:

Why do people dislike this game?

"b team"

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Dark Souls II ended up being bigger than 1 because in that development time frame, everybody was too busy playing DS1 repeatedly to try and emulate DS1's success.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

B-team never would have become a meme if there hadn't been a noticable drop in quality between games, and that they mismanaged the game to the extent that half of it had to be scrapped and a new game assembled out of the remaining pieces certainly suggests they were in over their heads

And, most damningly, it's the only Souls game without a clear best-in-slot masterwork straight sword (no the Hiede sword does not count that's basically a faith weapon)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Doesn’t the drake keeper sword count? Been a long time since I did a straight sword character in DS2 admittedly, but that’s the one my bluecop used back in the day

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

B-team never would have become a meme if there hadn't been a noticable drop in quality between games, and that they mismanaged the game to the extent that half of it had to be scrapped and a new game assembled out of the remaining pieces certainly suggests they were in over their heads

And, most damningly, it's the only Souls game without a clear best-in-slot masterwork straight sword (no the Hiede sword does not count that's basically a faith weapon)

And yet it's better than the "a team" follow up

Also I thought that the drakekeeper sword was basically best in class?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay correction; the best in class superior straight sword is only located in the final area with an insanely low drop rate on some of the most hideous to fight enemies in the game, rather than being something you can acquire reasoanbly early on and go through the game with

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

multijoe posted:

Okay correction; the best in class superior straight sword is only located in the final area with an insanely low drop rate on some of the most hideous to fight enemies in the game, rather than being something you can acquire reasoanbly early on and go through the game with

The weapon balance is so good in this game that you can get by with basically whatever you want until you get there, who cares that the Drakekeeper's Sword is lategame? It's not a Bloodborne situation where you have to wait half the game to even get the weapon class. E: Plus, the DLC all being balanced for lategame means you'll still have significant amounts of playtime with the thing even without diving into multiplayer.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favorite DS2 weapon was the Greatsword cause it was really big and had a fun moveset.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ds2 makes dual cestus viable, fun and extremely rad to play the game with, and so is the best dark souls game regardless of any issues.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The weapon balance is so good in this game that you can get by with basically whatever you want until you get there, who cares that the Drakekeeper's Sword is lategame? It's not a Bloodborne situation where you have to wait half the game to even get the weapon class. E: Plus, the DLC all being balanced for lategame means you'll still have significant amounts of playtime with the thing even without diving into multiplayer.

Yeah it's not really a serious criticism. i just like to do my first run of every Souls game with the cool knightly straight sword and DS2 is the only game which doesn't give you one

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

multijoe posted:

Yeah it's not really a serious criticism. i just like to do my first run of every Souls game with the cool knightly straight sword and DS2 is the only game which doesn't give you one

Haha well, you do get the Fire Longsword basically right away, and people do tend to love that weapon for some reason. :v:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i mean, i went through with the foot soldier sword because i thought its moveset was great with the mixed-in thrusting attacks, i just kept powder handy

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I mean, the basic Longsword is almost as good. It’s so close that I honestly don’t feel like it’s much of a loss if I don’t get the Drakekeeper Sword.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, the longsword is fantastic. It's not gonna be the top damage dealer, but it ain't supposed to be; it's there for flexibility and ease of use.

As for the DS2 hate meme, I wager a part of it is because they made red invasions more difficult to do (gotta grind for items) and more difficult to win (can't heal, giant tree seeds, soul memory). There were a lot of vocal reddit nerds who complained endlessly because you couldn't bring a +5 Furysword to fight level 7 noobs in the starting area. It was the same with the DS3 changes, but DS3 "felt" enough like the first game and didn't have the "b team" excuse that people were largely positive.

Personally, I found DS3 kind of disappointing. The level and enemy design was more compelling, and I think the "story" of DS3 is the strongest of all the games (fully embracing the Dying Earth fantasy roots), but half the weapons in that game felt anemic, every branch of magic was basically worthless. DS2 at least tried to fix some of DS1's bullshit, whereas DS3 didn't carry much of that going forward. It felt like they wanted to make more Bloodborne, but were obligated to make a souls game, and the two styles just didn't mesh well.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have never seen the balder side sword drop in ds1 :negative:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Just do a blatantly non dex build and it'll drop immediately.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

is 20 endurance a good spot to stop for a sorcerer? i have vigor and attunement at 20 and int at 25 with enough strength and dex to use the foot soldier sword. never really done a caster in ds1 or 3 and this is my first proper run of ds2. still pretty early in the game ive only taken out the giant, pursuer, old dragonknight and dragonrider

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ASenileAnimal posted:

is 20 endurance a good spot to stop for a sorcerer? i have vigor and attunement at 20 and int at 25 with enough strength and dex to use the foot soldier sword. never really done a caster in ds1 or 3 and this is my first proper run of ds2. still pretty early in the game ive only taken out the giant, pursuer, old dragonknight and dragonrider
20 Endurance is a reasonable softcap for just about anyone on NG. You can put more points in it after filling out all the essentials of your build, but you only get 1 Stamina per Endurance until you hit the hard cap of 99.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

20 END is plenty for any build, but more is always useful for spamming magic missile and having more dodge rolls. It's probably worth your while to focus on maxing out your INT and getting all the ATN you need for your spells, tho, along with physical stats if you want a broader weapon choice than the foot soldier sword. You can take VIG to 50, too, if you value being hardy over more stamina in late game.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Appoda posted:

Personally, I found DS3 kind of disappointing. The level and enemy design was more compelling, and I think the "story" of DS3 is the strongest of all the games (fully embracing the Dying Earth fantasy roots), but half the weapons in that game felt anemic, every branch of magic was basically worthless. DS2 at least tried to fix some of DS1's bullshit, whereas DS3 didn't carry much of that going forward. It felt like they wanted to make more Bloodborne, but were obligated to make a souls game, and the two styles just didn't mesh well.

IMO DS3 is just as clearly half-finished as DS2 was on release but they never went back and de-hosed things like the Demon Ruins.

Also DS2 gets a bunch of poo poo for having two development leads (where the second guy cleaned up a bunch of the mess the first guy left, and was also the lead for the DLC) while DS3 had three leads and no one brings that up.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
DS2 is the best game in this single player video game series, because the weapons are balanced.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

if the weapons were unbalanced they would be harder to swing :confused:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
DS2 worksfor me because the story, whether intentionally or not, feels the most human and allegorical. The idea of fighting to keep your sense of self and identity doesnt really come into play meaningfully in DS1 and doesnt matter in DS3, but its baked into DS2 and works pretty well as an allegory for some kinds of mental illness. Also, Lucatiel is the most heartbreaking NPC in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I never really felt like I was fighting to keep my sense of self in ds2.