Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

wait Alakazam CREATES the spoons??? Is this some Mr. Mime poo poo where the spoons are actually body parts???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
whoa

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
You're deffo meant to be doing the stories near concurrently. Many gyms are close to one or two other bosses, and the stuff you unlock in gyms and titans synergize Gym badges raise the level of pokemon you can catch and have obey you (only for catching, pokemon you catch at low level but then go way high level will always obey you), and the titan story unlocks more mobility on your bike so you can reach more areas. I think the team star doesn't unlock anything?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Muscle Tracer posted:

wait Alakazam CREATES the spoons??? Is this some Mr. Mime poo poo where the spoons are actually body parts???

Surely Alakazam only creates ONE spoon, since it already had one when it was Kadabra

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

One more question, out of the 3 storylines in the game which is the best one in your opinion to tackle first (or are they all about the same in terms of length/difficulty)?

Speaking of, do the Star and Totem arcs at least give you some clear direction on where to go next to continue the story?

they're literally all on the map. all three storylines span the same amount of levels, and you're very much intended to pingpong from one to the next

MorningMoon posted:

You're deffo meant to be doing the stories near concurrently. Many gyms are close to one or two other bosses, and the stuff you unlock in gyms and titans synergize Gym badges raise the level of pokemon you can catch and have obey you (only for catching, pokemon you catch at low level but then go way high level will always obey you), and the titan story unlocks more mobility on your bike so you can reach more areas. I think the team star doesn't unlock anything?

correct, team star only gives you more tm materials and LP.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Do we know the exclusives yet for the scarlet? Like I've seen the leaks but has Nintendo confirmed anything at all???

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve never considered all Pokémon to have human intelligence. Smarter than regular animals, sure, but not smart enough to earn a PHD. I consider most of them smart like a dolphin, octopus, crow, or chimp. It’s one thing to have a really smart dog who’s your friend and will do what you ask him to do. It’s another thing to have an adult man in a dog costume who’s your friend and will do what you ask him to do.

I’m with those who prefer a more animalistic nature to my beasties. Some of my favourite Pokémon are just simple designs that look like a real animal. Toucannon, Dedenne, Dubwool, Mudsdale, etc…

Folks can be free to like the humanoid ones. That’s just a matter of taste. I still like Gallade and Bisharp, and a few other human-shape ones, but animal based mons will always be my favourite.

That said, I’m going with grass cat. Purregano the Great will be my weird cat man friend.

I get the appeal of the duck. I just wish his legs bent backwards like a bird. It would give him more of a secretary bird feel, which would really suit a fighting type bird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

they're literally all on the map. all three storylines span the same amount of levels, and you're very much intended to pingpong from one to the next

correct, team star only gives you more tm materials and LP.

Oh ok, I got confused by the initial wording and thought it meant you could pick and choose which story arc you wanted to follow. So it’s basically the same as a normal game then except the entire region is one huge Wild Area (albeit with certain places blocked off until you get some new abilities)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Larryb posted:

Oh ok, I got confused by the initial wording and thought it meant you could pick and choose which story arc you wanted to follow. So it’s basically the same as a normal game then except the entire region is one huge Wild Area (albeit with certain places blocked off until you get some new abilities)

correct

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Does anyone think Scarlet & Violet will have DLC or something that makes it very easy to catch past legendaries after the last few games did that or do people expect them to be stingy about their availability this time?

Metapod posted:

Do we know the exclusives yet for the scarlet? Like I've seen the leaks but has Nintendo confirmed anything at all???

only thing i think was confirmed version exclusive by official sources has been the Fire knights i think. even what old pokemon that are version exclusive arent known.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
DLC is practically guaranteed (continuing from SwSh as a replacement for the "third version"), though I couldn't say what that means in terms of catching past legendaries.

OFFICIALLY all Nintendo's said that's version exclusive are Amarouge, Ceruledge, and this small selection.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Re: Team Star reward beating a boss unlocks a poo poo load more TMs at the TM Machine. I think I got like six new ones off beating fire lady.

also other than the paradox pokemon version exclusives are entirely the charcadet evos and then old pokemon so I wouldn't worry too much about it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Right, the actual lists are known from datamining.

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

List of version exclusives, minus paradox pokemon

Just noting again what Nintendo's officially offered (i.e. not much).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

oh what the gently caress thats lame

They’re Ultra Beasts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm so tempted to buy Scarlet on the eshop in case my pre-ordered physical copy doesn't arrive promptly. Nng.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Muscle Tracer posted:

Actually, in the analogy, every time Alakazam runs out of PP on a move, he loses one spoon for the day. Taking a nap at a poke center returns the spoons.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Nessa posted:

I get the appeal of the duck. I just wish his legs bent backwards like a bird. It would give him more of a secretary bird feel, which would really suit a fighting type bird.

While you are spot on with your intent ('backwards' knees make it appear more like the actual animal), the correct answer is Nintendo's animators would have no idea how to animate kick-boxing that way

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Has there been any info in this game's version of Poke-Pelago / Poke Jobs / whatever? Specifically, anything about getting EVs? Is it all getting wrapped into the picnic thing, or what?

Lux Animus posted:

Actually, in the analogy, every time Alakazam runs out of PP on a move, he loses one spoon for the day. Taking a nap at a poke center returns the spoons.

Right, this is why Alakazam can only learn two moves (unless bred with Machamp).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There are so few version exclusives that you should 100% be choosing your version by which color pants you can deal with.

Version locking clothes is a terrible idea but at least it makes choosing a version easy considering orange pinstripe pants are literally the worst clothing imaginable.

Also which lizard you ride on. That's another important concern. Exclusives are just post game fluff this time around, besides the fire knight guys.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Purple pants and techno-bike any day of the week.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I feel like Scarlet actually has the more interesting paradox mons but yeah, the option comes down to which color school uniform you want to wear and orange is my literal least favorite color so I just can't afford to be stuck with it all game. Violet it is!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like the color Scarlet in general and as a lifelong resident of East Tennessee I am biased towards orange, but for Pokemon I always get the second version and always go grass starter, and I'm not gonna break tradition here. Gonna go Violet and live in the future with my robot Donphan and weed magician cat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
smh if you're not rocking :goku: pants.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Spoilers for an endgame area and some paradox pokemon, but I thought it was a nice showcase for exactly what's going on with a few.
Iron Jugulis waking up (with guest appearances from Iron Bundle and Iron Treads)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 16, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Are you able to catch more than one of the paradox Pokemon? There's a few from Violet I definitely want.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hogama posted:

Spoilers for an endgame area and some paradox pokemon, but I thought it was a nice showcase for exactly what's going on with a few.
Iron Jugulis waking up (with guest appearances from Iron Bundle and Iron Treads)

What, we're just not gonna talk about that kid wearing a Daft Punk helmet?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Hogama posted:

Holy cow that scaling! I could have sworn that guy was gonna be 'rideable' size, not child-sized.

More than meets the eye.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Framboise posted:

Are you able to catch more than one of the paradox Pokemon? There's a few from Violet I definitely want.

Seems so

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Framboise posted:

Yeah, they're not legendaries.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PittTheElder posted:

Surely Alakazam only creates ONE spoon, since it already had one when it was Kadabra
look at this hoity toity here who's never lost a spoon

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They’re Ultra Beasts.
between XY hiding 99% of the megastones in the postgame, SwSh putting almost all of the gigamax pokemon in postgame raids, and now this, im not sure ganefreak understands that people want to play with cool poo poo during the story itself

especially because there hasn't been an actual postgame area since gen 5 and this one has continued the trend by axing the battle tower as well. congrats, you caught the cool monster!! there'snothing to fight with it though. :effort:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ultra beasts are very cool

E: Also, some leaks have said postgame and some have said endgame and i'm pretty sure they're not disagreeing on when they become available but just not clear on whether that section should be considered postgame or not. Regardless though they're crazy powerful guys with huge stats. Like better stats than pseudo-legendaries. There's not other place to put them than at the end of the game. They're just so far ahead of the curve.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 16, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
They do not have stats better than the pseudos. Their stat totals are either 570 or 590 for past Salamence and future Galladevoir respectively. Pseudo stat totals are 600.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Hogama posted:

There was some spoiler talk earlier about this Pokémon and drat, yeah that is a lazy loving redesign

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

E: Also, some leaks have said postgame and some have said endgame and i'm pretty sure they're not disagreeing on when they become available but just not clear on whether that section should be considered postgame or not.
I mean it might depend on how the observer reckons things but it's very much a culmination of a dangling plot point with a suitable "final boss", you just have to finish the other storylines first so you can't simply stumble into it. And I'd imagine the DLC will pick up from where it leaves off, as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

There was some spoiler talk earlier about this Pokémon and drat, yeah that is a lazy loving redesign

The other V-Paradox designs may be lazy but I will defend to the death Robo-Santabird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nanigans posted:

They do not have stats better than the pseudos. Their stat totals are either 570 or 590 for past Salamence and future Galladevoir respectively. Pseudo stat totals are 600.

You're right, I was thinking of how Valiant and Moon have better bst than the legendary quartet of this game. Forgot that so does the Pseudo.

Still clearly endgame mons though. That Penguin looks like it will be a monster.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

between XY hiding 99% of the megastones in the postgame, SwSh putting almost all of the gigamax pokemon in postgame raids, and now this, im not sure ganefreak understands that people want to play with cool poo poo during the story itself

especially because there hasn't been an actual postgame area since gen 5 and this one has continued the trend by axing the battle tower as well. congrats, you caught the cool monster!! there'snothing to fight with it though. :effort:

there is at least some endgame stuff, though i don't know how extensive it is, since i played hard to beat the campaign and have been taking a break since. they sent me out to do a bunch of gym refights and there was a lot of talk about a school tournament to happen after i did that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
You guys seen this stupid thing? I'm gonna play it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2058380/Procemon_You_Must_Catch_Them/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVdUzU3MLrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.makio.it/pokemon/sv/team-builder

I found a team builder that has all of the leaked Pokemon on it, but lord do I hate the design of this website. Has anyone found/used a different one?