Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kemper Boyd posted:

Finland managed to retain shipbuilding capabilities through specialization (last I heard of it, there's only two spots in the world capable of building those gigantic cruise liners that RCC runs, Finland and South Korea) and we're currently replacing seven beat-to-poo poo navy vessels with four new corvettes/frigates/whatever they're going to call them.

Sweden should, unless the Laivue 2020 corvettes turn out to be lemons, buy some from Finland to replace the Visbys with. We're even putting in AA systems!

Love the 1993 video game cutscene ship pasted into a real photo. It's the uncanny valley of promo-shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fender Anarchist posted:

i trust in nothing these days

E: also I live in FL which is hellstate, so that's fun
Man the ballot was pretty loving depressing this year.

Especially the Senate race. Judge Doom vs the human equivalent of the color beige.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Especially the Senate race. Judge Doom vs the human equivalent of the color beige.

I hate the Harris County (Houston) ballot every time. There were something like 75-80 races on there this year - the obvious ones are easy (governor, attorney general, senator), but holy poo poo I don't know anything about the incumbent or nominee Family District Judge, 315th Judicial District and I'm not about to figure out who to vote for in that many races.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

More on that sinking drydock:

Reuters has a picture of the sunken dock; reports say the little bits sticking up have vanished. as it sank down a underwater slope. Reuters confirms that the flight deck has been for the most part taken up, so the crane likely fell on---whatever was beneath.

https://twitter.com/Capt_Navy/status/1057269733546975232/video/1

Also, according to the tweet above, both cranes collapsed, so the Kuznetsov might've taken two hits?

The drive [tyler Rogoway, usual caution and warnings] is reporting the dry dock has been owned the past few years by a Russian oil company, which was planning to use it in Arctic oil exploitation. Naturally the Russian Government has opened a criminal investigation, saying that safety standards (and lol likely maintenance standards) were violated, and that the oil company will have to pay for the damage to the Kuznetsov. This, obviously, could just be cover lies, though I kinda suspect that cover lies might go all PINK ALERT!! AMERICAN SABOTAGE BECAUSE THEY WERE AFRAID OF CARRIER, COWARDLY HOMOSEXUAL CYBER ATTACK at some point.

A referenced Russian newspaper clipping in the previous link. The drydock had a fun adventure previously - a Delta IV boomer caught fire during an inspection/repair; somehow, this ship split the fiberglass cover on its sonar faring. Because this was hoped to be a quick inspection/repair, its conventional and nuclear munitions were not removed. Initial inspection discovered some damage to the sonar array, so the outer hull was cut open.

So, the welders get in there, and well, you know how it goes, especially when you use wood structures instead of metal ones:

That photo is about 15 minutes in. The good news for the submarine is that this fire is between the outer and pressure hull. The bad news is that it took - quite some time to extinguish. The fire naturally spread in the inaccessible spaces between the outer and inner hull - which is just filled with things (batteries, torpedoes, compressed gasses, atomic reactors, nuclear missiles fueled with hydrazine and red fuming nitric acid) that fire should not persist by. The article says they had to unload all the torpedoes **by hand** because the hydraulic system that usually does that is down, no idea if that's plausible or not. The fire continued burning out of control most of the night, and in desperation the dry dock first slightly, and then considerably, dove to flood the Delta IV's spaces. By next morning the fire was under control, thanks to the arrival of a specially trained firefighting unit from Moscow, which apparently specializes in fighting fires when nuclear material could be involved. They kept soaking the sub until 6 pm that night, just to dissipate the heat. The inner pressure hull might have taken some damage thanks to the heat exposure; the temperature in the torpedo room was around 60-80 degrees C at one point.. No idea if the sub was repaired and returned to service.

Barents Observer confirms the sub caught fire with a full load of munitions onboard

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Most of the shipbuilding these days is happening in China, Korea and Japan for labor cost reasons

Uhh notoriously low cost labour country Japan?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Given the state of the nation I’m thinking we could use more dull neutral politicians. Beige is good.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

:staredog: Holy poo poo, this country.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
If Russia doesn't have the best nuclear firefighters then they definitely have the most experienced.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If Russia doesn't have the best nuclear firefighters then they definitely have the most experienced.

I don’t know about that, they seem to be rather single-use.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Murgos posted:

Given the state of the nation I’m thinking we could use more dull neutral politicians. Beige is good.

Friendly reminder to keep current politics out of here. D&D and CSPAM are thatway

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Apparently, the USAF is flying the last F-22s out of Tyndall this week. It doesn’t look good for Tyndall getting back to where it was before the hurricane, or ever getting Raptors back, but apparently zero tails were lost to the storm.

:confuoot:

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Oh right so now there's allegedly at least two subs poking around the Trident Juncture area of operations. Out lot are not commenting anything at all, but speculations are running that it might be a pair of Yasen-class boats, or one of those and one Borei-class. Or maybe a Kilo, nobody's talking. There's a bunch of P-8 Poseidons swoshing in and out though, so I guess somebody knows.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Good systems tests for everyone, hopefully the Russian subs don’t break though, not many places left to get fixed.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Sure, I'm just wondering when they're going to be launching those rockets they've been promising.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mazz posted:

Good systems tests for everyone, hopefully the Russian subs don’t break though, not many places left to get fixed.

Actually i do hope they all fall apart.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

oof

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

LingcodKilla posted:

Actually i do hope they all fall apart.

Mr. Crab, I have this dry dock, and it sank entirely. That's - not bad, right? Easy fix?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nebakenezzer posted:

Mr. Crab, I have this dry dock, and it sank entirely. That's - not bad, right? Easy fix?

Fill it full of ping pong balls and call me in the morning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wouldn’t ask the crablante/fisherman about how to fix what might one day make a fantastic artificial reef.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrYenko posted:

They got some great pusher robots though, if you need to push graphite off a roof.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

mlmp08 posted:

And we got some rad music out of that murderous deal

Plus, you know, the ridiculously disproportionate amount of American Indians who serve in the military and get all kinds of awards for bravery and generally being good at poo poo.

Of all the places I'd not expect to find amazing music, the SA cold war thread would be up there, but here we are. This is amazing stuff, thanks.

Vaguely back on topic, this is probably old, but hey, it's hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Mazz posted:

I'm pretty sure them all falling apart would be great news for basically everyone around the Arctic circle at the moment, given Russia's whole "well, actually most of the arctic belongs to us because <waves hands around vigorously>" thing.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Osprey decked out in Halloween livery at Miramar.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Thought he was holding a condom wrapper at first.

Is this the only time they're allowed to do fun paintjobs anymore?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Thought he was holding a condom wrapper at first.

Is this the only time they're allowed to do fun paintjobs anymore?

Lol I thought the same.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Da mothafuckin 0sprey z0ne

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Polikarpov posted:

Da mothafuckin 0sprey z0ne

Lol, owns

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

xiansi posted:

Vaguely back on topic, this is probably old, but hey, it's hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0jgZKV4N_A
It has been posted before but it’s still good. The one about Iraq is great too.

These Australian blokes are similar; I’m sure there are some defense-related ones but this is probably the best.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Death always present around ospreys, makes sense

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Death always present around ospreys, makes sense

Helicopters already represent the triumph of man's ingenuity over common sense and physics, I don't even know what a tiltrotor represents.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Don Gato posted:

Helicopters already represent the triumph of man's ingenuity over common sense and physics, I don't even know what a tiltrotor represents.

Showboating.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Don Gato posted:

Ospreys are like triple-dog-daring death itself.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Ospreys are actually safer than army utility helicopters.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah. It had the bad fortune of the usual testing accidents most airframes have but with a pile of Marines on board at the same time. So from day 1 it’s had the Mankiller rep.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Alaan posted:

Yeah. It had the bad fortune of the usual testing accidents most airframes have but with a pile of Marines on board at the same time. So from day 1 it’s had the Mankiller rep.

That and it got a decade of media coverage that painted it as a completely unsafe and unnecessary contraption that didn't work and cost lots of taxpayer $$. Nobody really talks about H-60 or CH-46 crashes, but every V-22 crash is instantly a convenient article to rehash the "safety controversy!!" which has helped it retain the reputation long after it had a better safety record than the alternatives.

Kinda like the F-22 in that you still see the odd person who gets his news about it from clickbait articles about how it can't fly in the rain written 10 years ago.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 3, 2018

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
To be fair "Gets lots of Marines killed" is a key feature of most USMC kit. See: Harriers being Harriers, the AAV-7 sinking occasionally, LAVs rolling over, helicopters of every type falling out of the sky.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Polikarpov posted:

To be fair "Gets lots of Marines killed" is a key feature of most USMC kit. See: Harriers being Harriers, the AAV-7 sinking occasionally, LAVs rolling over, helicopters of every type falling out of the sky.

Helicopters lust for blood does not discriminate.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

Ospreys are actually safer than army utility helicopters.

Source your quotes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

Source your quotes.

No, really, they are statistically safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

From a 2017 USA Today article about a crash at that time:

quote:

For every 100,000 flight hours, the Osprey has had 3.2 mishaps involving loss of life or damage exceeding $2 million, Marine spokesman Capt. Ty Balzer said in an email. That compares with a rate of 2.98 per 100,000 flight hours for the CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters the Ospreys are replacing.

Who knows how the Marine spokesman's stats were calculated, though