Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBag
May 18, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Agra is cool as heck, did an hour demo at Gencon. Love the pray mechanic and paying off other peoples workers if you want their spot. It is an instabuy for me when it comes to U.S.

Is there a good overview for this game? I really like La Granja and have heard lots of good things about this one but I have no idea how it actually works from the images and brief previews I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LGS had innovation deluxe for sale so I picked it up. :woop: It's a really dumb game but I like it as a greatly improved version of Fluxx. Was going to just keep the small base set only but they had the deluxe so I might as well make it into a full game. Keep the base set for newbies or portable gaming and sleeve up the deluxe.

Also picked up hive pocket (finally) and it fits nicely in the Onitama box. I had a box from a previous MTG prerelease that fits all tarot-sized cards and they fit snugly in there with the pieces which was nice. Someone mentioned using Tak board game pieces for Santorini and I think I can do that with Hive pocket too, but I'll probably need a few more pieces.

Triskelli posted:

Technically yes but every copy got misprinted the same way and the designer's cool with it.

Ah, ok. I guess at this point it's a misprint in the rulebook then. Was going to ask asmodee for corrected tiles otherwise.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EBag posted:

Is there a good overview for this game? I really like La Granja and have heard lots of good things about this one but I have no idea how it actually works from the images and brief previews I've seen.

Will you be at Sasquatch? I'm sure it'll be there. I'll be there too :)

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Lorini posted:

My Essen preorders if anyone is interested. Click on preorders as a filter. I'd love to see others' preorders as well if you have them.

John Company
For-Ex
Card City xl (kickstarter)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Innovation isn't as dumb as something like fluxx, the 2 player game has actual strategy. I think it's my favorite Chudyk game by way of uniqueness, Glory to Rome just feels too much like a lesser Race to the Galaxy to me as far as follow mechanic card games go. Innovation breaks down with more than 2 players though since you move up the tech ladder too fast naturally.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tales of Woe posted:

Innovation isn't as dumb as something like fluxx, the 2 player game has actual strategy. I think it's my favorite Chudyk game by way of uniqueness, Glory to Rome just feels too much like a lesser Race to the Galaxy to me as far as follow mechanic card games go. Innovation breaks down with more than 2 players though since you move up the tech ladder too fast naturally.

The "so imbalanced it's balanced" type of design is extremely polarizing to players and the chaotic nature of it is why I call it dumb. There's definitely enough meat in there that I wanted to get the deluxe box when I saw it. Now I'm spending money on sleeves almost as much as the game itself but meh.

Papes posted:

John Company
For-Ex
I've been looking forward to For-Ex after its announcement, let me know what you think!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Not really? I mean if you've only played through once you might want to take the other side of scenario branching paths just to see what happens, but in my experience, there isn't a "correct" or "better" choice, it's just different. The only time I could see foreknowledge being an advantage is with event cards, but that's pretty minor. There's a lot of those so even with a lot a plays you don't see that many repeats and you could always simply let the other players decide if you think you might be biased because you know the outcomes.

Also you don't need another copy. I'm playing 3 different parties with mine (solo, local club members and friends) and it works fine.

I'm not the owner of the copy I'm playing, doubt I'd even be able to procure a copy for a while. I fielded Descent to the group and people are on board with that, we'll deal with expansions and other IAP-esque poo poo if we need to.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Essen pre-orders:
Card City XL
Clans of Caledonia

EBag
May 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Will you be at Sasquatch? I'm sure it'll be there. I'll be there too :)

Nah I'm up near Toronto unfortunately, I'm sure it would be a good time though. Luckily I have a decent local group who are also into mid-heavy euros so I'm sure it'll hit the table at some point.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Went to a new board game meetup back in Michigan yesterday (out in Pontiac if anyone cares). Smaller group than I'm used to, like 8-10, though apparently they have a sister meet at a store 30 minutes or so away that regularly gets 70-80 people. Three different people brought Imhotep, myself included, so we all played that, and then I learned Orleans. The guy who taught it was nice but seemed to really think I needed a lot more help than I did and since it was at a bar and I was a bit buzzed so I couldn't think of a non-rude way of saying "I play a shitload of mid/heavy-weight euros, you don't need to explain the upkeep and events every single turn", so instead I just beat him by one (1) point even after he talked about using some strategy that he shouldn't because it was mean to play against new people. Boom, roasted.

Nice group though, looking forward to next week.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I only pre orderd the FoA expansion out of habit.

I will be there on thursday so everything should still be readily available.

I'm getting:

Nusfjord
Tash Kalar expansion
Marco Polo expansion
FoA expansion
2 new islands for aFfO
Keyper
Codenames Duet

Maybe Sushi Party Go (a new German Edition)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EBag posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/150340/game-rules

TLDR: It's a worker placement resource generation game where you fulfill orders to different places netting you different things like points or special actions/abilities. The closest analog is probably Tzolkin. It's just a neat/fresh take on worker placement.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Papes posted:

John Company
For-Ex

I still don't have confirmation from Alban that CCXL will be available for collection at Spiel.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Jedit posted:

I still don't have confirmation from Alban that CCXL will be available for collection at Spiel.

I haven't seen anything either actually. I'll tweet at him and see if he responds or not.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

How did I forget the best thing at Essen this year: Wir Sind Das Volk 2+2 expansion. I'll be getting that for sure!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The only things I'm currently interested in for Essen are:

- Picking up my copy of Kitchen Rush
- Getting a copy of etherweave
- Maybe getting the WsdV expac

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also The Expanse, but it will probably have sold out by then.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Tales of Woe posted:

Expansions help a lot with that, alternate decks to draw from, even if only occasionally, help slow down the era progression.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is champions of midgard what it appears to be? Light-mid worker placement with some luck elements and high quality production design, and some expansions? I think that might work well for my squad....

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Also The Expanse, but it will probably have sold out by then.

Isn't there a rule about WizKids...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ShaneB posted:

Is champions of midgard what it appears to be? Light-mid worker placement with some luck elements and high quality production design, and some expansions? I think that might work well for my squad....

To me it's a worse Waterdeep. Like it's basically the same game except now you roll dice to see if you actually succeed at something. I don't know how you feel about chucking fistfuls of dice with half blank sides but I'd still put Waterdeep - which I think is solid if totally uninspired - above it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

al-azad posted:

To me it's a worse Waterdeep. Like it's basically the same game except now you roll dice to see if you actually succeed at something. I don't know how you feel about chucking fistfuls of dice with half blank sides but I'd still put Waterdeep - which I think is solid if totally uninspired - above it.

Waterdeep's luck aspect is arguably worse with certain quests, Lords and Intrigue cards being objectively better than others, and there is little to nothing you can do to mitigate that. Viticulture has the same sort of issue where some visitors are just better than others, and there's nothing you can do to ensure you get the better ones. Champions of Midgard is relatively up front with its luck aspect, you know the general odds and can brute force them to where your chance of failure are very low. I haven't seen much in the way of balance issues with the secret objectives and one time abilities in Midgard, although I've admittedly played it less than the others.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 28, 2017

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Selecta84 posted:

Maybe Sushi Party Go (a new German Edition)

id like to know more about sushi go party in german. any links?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

discount cathouse posted:

id like to know more about sushi go party in german. any links?

Bitteschön

http://brettspielbox.de/?p=19788

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

they switched up the illustrator again but i actually liked the mangalike art in zoch's version more than the disney big eyed sushis of the originial.

like this pudding that looks like the ending of akira:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

You're right.

On the other hand Zoch only had the German version for Sushi Go so there is that...

I'm curious what the price will be. The non party version is like 10 € and the english party version 25 so I hope it's somewhere in the middle

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

al-azad posted:

Agreed. "Some luck elements" is an understatement. Also I don't remember anything particularly special about the art or production quality.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

MikeCrotch posted:

Goons, I need recommendations. Looking to get another Worker Placement, already have Archipelago and Agricola. What should I get next? Looking at Dungeon Petz or Viticulture, but am open to other suggestions.

I've heard good things about Argent: The Consortium.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I recently discovered there's a Sons of Anarchy board game, and surprisingly it's an actually good work placement/area control euro-style game. It's 15 bucks on Amazon right now so I decided to pick it up.

Henker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 28, 2017

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Isn't there a rule about WizKids...
Do as I say, not as I do!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeCrotch posted:

Goons, I need recommendations. Looking to get another Worker Placement, already have Archipelago and Agricola. What should I get next? Looking at Dungeon Petz or Viticulture, but am open to other suggestions.

I like Spyrium because it plays relatively quick and is on the lighter side, but I've also heard it's mediocre from bigger fans of the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Do as I say, not as I do!

Have you played it? Because it looks even cheaper than the Star Trek Mage Knight reskin. There are BGG amateur design contest entries with higher production quality.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Barono posted:

Expansions help a lot with that, alternate decks to draw from, even if only occasionally, help slow down the era progression.

Do the expansions improve Innovation in other ways? Do they make it less "Fluxx" at all?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Medium Style posted:

Do the expansions improve Innovation in other ways? Do they make it less "Fluxx" at all?

It's mostly more of the same, so if you don't like base you probably won't care for expansions either. I disagree with the fluxx comparison though, innovation is always moving toward an end state, which makes a huge difference.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I've only played Innovation once, and it was fine, but boy do the cards in that game go off the deep end in terms of complexity in the last couple of eras. Put me right off playing it again.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Barono posted:

It's mostly more of the same, so if you don't like base you probably won't care for expansions either. I disagree with the fluxx comparison though, innovation is always moving toward an end state, which makes a huge difference.

I do like Innovation quite a bit, and strongly dislike Fluxx (of course), but I do feel like it can have Fluxx-ish moments but still be a good game despite that.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
*slowly steps up to a lectern, clears throat, fumbles through a stack of papers, a squeak of feedback warbles the out-of-date sound system* ...Innovation is bad.

Chill la Chill posted:

Papes posted:

For-Ex
I've been looking forward to For-Ex after its announcement, let me know what you think!

Seconding this. I want to know if there is any prayer of getting my friends in on it. A financial, player-lead, card-driven(?) game sounds like completely my poo poo and probably not theirs.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

Seconding this.

thirded. this is my kind of my game and I need to know if its good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Have you played it? Because it looks even cheaper than the Star Trek Mage Knight reskin. There are BGG amateur design contest entries with higher production quality.
I've been run through how it plays, and in terms of actual gameplay, it seems really good. I'm gonna get to play it this Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I've been run through how it plays, and in terms of actual gameplay, it seems really good. I'm gonna get to play it this Saturday.

Please report. I'm on a hard sci-fi kick right now and for some reason I haven't binged this show yet.