Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Turpitude posted:

personally would rather see this graph without throwing vans and buses into the bandwagon with trucks and SUVs. I drive a Toyota Sienna because I have two kids so I need room for two car seats and a shitload of supplies and it doubles as a solid work vehicle and can go on logging roads for camping trips and poo poo. there doesn't seem to be a mutated american "van culture" the way there is with these massive trucks that never appear to have a spot of dirt on them and can only seat 2 people comfortably despite their giant footprint and extra pair of tires. and putting buses in on that graph is just bizarre.

It's just cars vs not-motorcycles. Anyway I don't see many vans on the road let alone new ones so I doubt they're more than a few percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

you can take my Tempo from my cold,dead hands

Julie.....

Karach posted:

the tool owning used car fixer stays winning

agreed. if i had the ability to keep our 20 year old camry going by replacing all the brake lines i would have absolutely done so

sold it to someone who could so everyone wins I guess.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 22:36 on May 19, 2024

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
You can bring a brake shop the old lines for them to use as a pattern, and they can do the bending and flaring for you; that's the part that needs expensive weird tools and takes some skill to do properly.

Then it's just install and spend the next week or so chasing down leaks while wondering why you ever try to fix anything yourself.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003
I've actually always wanted someone smarter than me to do a deep dive into why we (America, lol) are the only place on the face of the planet that needs a gigantic cargo hauler for children

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
most north american parents secretly hate their children and want them as far away as possible at all times

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

RBC posted:

most north american parents secretly hate their children and want them as far away as possible at all times

most North American parents are so isolated and stretched thin that raising children is a marathon hell nightmare of mental illness and capitalism while trying to be an entire village between one or two parents. It’s loving rough out here, even for those of us who love our children fiercely and are fighting hard for them. there are times for every parent when you want to be far away from your child.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

RBC posted:

It's a loving choice between paying 4000 a month or one of the family abandoning their career

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
look im just saying if you don't drive 20 hours to disneyland you dont need a bench seat 15 feet behind you with a tv, video console, and speaker to yell at them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
it’s in part because wagons also disappeared

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So what I am hearing is that despite trying for literal years I should be unhappy my wife and I are unable to conceive?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I don't know who you've been talking to, but that's not how SUVs are made

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You don't need kids to drive 20 hours to Disneyland.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Winnipeg is probably closer anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4cttwNaDs

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

bunnyofdoom posted:

So what I am hearing is that despite trying for literal years I should be unhappy my wife and I are unable to conceive?

I just skipped straight to the bing happy part.

E: read that wrong but leaving it for posterity.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I can assure you that having no children will absolutely let you keep a lot of tangible & intangible upsides to your life that, unless you’re stupid rich, you’d otherwise have to put aside for years (if not forever, for some things).

Kids have been worth it for us, but gently caress me has it taken a lot in return. I do have a high needs child, so that skews me away from the “average” experience but still.

Sorry about your firing blanks tho friend :(

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I need my giant urban assault vehicle to protect my children from the other giant urban assault vehicles driven by bad drivers (I'm the good driver tho)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

Standard maintenance budget for a detached home is 1 to 2% of its value per year.

To be sure, the "value" of a home is somewhat in dispute lately, but $10,000 isn't too far off.

But also they rent it out, its a business! We have a tax system for this, the cottage being rented out is a business, maintenance is a business expense. This person 100% claims that, they are just whining and expecting that people don't see through their bullshit.

I'm an artist, I run a business. I pay tax on 100% of my income, but I'm able to claim business expenses against my business's income. These people should be treated exactly the same as me. I don't understand why we collectively feel like people making money off property deserve special treatment.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't understand why we collectively feel like people making money off property deserve special treatment.

I believe the political calculus goes: people who own property vote, people who rent do not.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I know, it still drives me nuts. Artists need to band together and become exactly as whiny as landlords. "Waaaaahhhh, I had a bad art show, the government needs to make me whole!!!!"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
people who own property have money to donate, people who don't don't

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Virtual Russian posted:

I know, it still drives me nuts. Artists need to band together and become exactly as whiny as landlords. "Waaaaahhhh, I had a bad art show, the government needs to make me whole!!!!"

Strangely, the only time Canada had arts and letters worth mentioning was between 1950-1980 when we had massive subsidies.

But then Boomers gutted all that and the market decided we love ticky tacky American culture, actually.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Video Games Are Art (and BC/QC give substantial subsidies to game developers).

Also without film subsidies we wouldn't be have dozens of productions where Hollywood actors have to pretend that Toronto is NYC.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:04 on May 20, 2024

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

Strangely, the only time Canada had arts and letters worth mentioning was between 1950-1980 when we had massive subsidies.

But then Boomers gutted all that and the market decided we love ticky tacky American culture, actually.

If we are talking fine art it is a touch more complicated. The interwar period is likely the actual highpoint, with the Group of Seven, but the GoS also totally stymied the development of modern art in Anglophone Canada by using all their institutional power to shut out newcomers. Francophone art really flourished in the time period you mentioned, as did pockets of Anglophone art, such as around London, but generally in that time period the Canadian art scene was not making big news. Funding is a nightmare currently, and it doesn't help that the Boomers have a stranglehold on Canada Council and tend to give the funding to those in their clique. CC is getting better, but that won't matter by next year, I'd bet PP dissolves it and replaces it with government having direct control over disbursement, like what happened in NB.

If we are talking culture more broadly, I'd agree with you.

Edit: Something worth mentioning too is how arts funding is very unequal, and how the return for Canadians on their investment is often very poor. On the west coast I found it impossible to find funding and space as a traditional artist. When I finally found a tiny 187sq/ft studio space that I could afford at $650 a month, the city approved a development to knock it down and put in "affordable" spaces for artists. These spaces would be ~500sq/ft being rented at $2,500 a month, with a condition that you must work in the space full-time. I had to teach classes part-time to make ends meet, so I'd never qualify. I looked into this development, and the company had done this in Vancouver too. The "artists" they catered to were all in film, mostly freelance editors, sound people, etc... all working on American productions. Not really a benefit to Canadians at all. Across the multiple buildings being slated for demo there were 37 traditional artists in very cheap spaces, we all lost/are losing spaces so that around 10 "affordable spaces" could go in, plus retail and tech spaces, and of course multiple stories of l*xury c*ndos above!

So we go from many poor artists making a living by producing affordable traditional art that Canadian citizens can afford, appreciate, and encounter to a small cadre of technicians working on large
American cultural industry products that average Canadians will see no benefits from.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 16:49 on May 20, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
canadian culture?

you mean like tim hortons?

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Anecdotally it seems like everyone I talk to in my artist circles has not been receiving grants this year*. I'm waiting on a travel grant application that will decide if it's economically feasible for me to take a potentially career defining opportunity, which already has some money attached, but not enough to cover the production costs and travel and accommodation and rent/CoL while i make the art and ship and install it. Fingers crossed!

E: * to be clear these are people who depend on grants and normally would expect to get approval on some/most of their applications

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I think a huge issue with funding is also how old fashioned and boomer centrique it can be. The model assumes you are a full-time self-employed artist that owns a home with a studio. There has been good effort made to allow other kinds of artists into the fold, but the structure was built on those assumptions. Almost all funding I have access to requires I work-full time on my funded project, which just isn't feasible. When I was teaching, taking time off means giving up my class slots, my employers would just find a new instructor and I would not get those slots back once done. So taking a grant and following the rules would actually harm my career. The pro move is to take the grant and just lie, no one cares and no one will check, but also that again means Canadians are getting poor value for their arts funding. It also sucks as an artists to work a full 40+ at a job, then try to put in 20 something hours on your practice to get your project done on schedule. The solution: Crappy theoretically good art that is more interesting to read about than look at. It's fast, and time is money.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Video Games Are Art (and BC/QC give substantial subsidies to game developers).

Also without film subsidies we wouldn't be have dozens of productions where Hollywood actors have to pretend that Toronto is NYC.

These industries in Québec haven't been doing too great recently,

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/2057306/studios-animation-effets-visuels-difficultes-pertes-emplois

quote:

Près de 3400 des quelque 8000 travailleurs des studios d'animation et d'effets visuels du Québec ont perdu leur emploi entre 2022 et 2023. Une conséquence directe des grèves qui ont paralysé Hollywood et qui ont mené au ralentissement de la production cinématographique.

They've also recently announced cuts to subsidies to special effects companies/contracts,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0II6Zl00_I

If memory serves they're cutting back from 25% of 100% of the total contract price being tax exempt to 20% of 65% of the total. Probably not a great time for this considering where the industry is.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I love supporting local artists

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Karach posted:

I love supporting local artists

Don't dox my posting rig

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
wish my god honest useful industry could get subsidies instead of useless ones

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I think a huge issue with funding is also how old fashioned and boomer centrique it can be. The model assumes you are a full-time self-employed artist that owns a home with a studio. There has been good effort made to allow other kinds of artists into the fold, but the structure was built on those assumptions. Almost all funding I have access to requires I work-full time on my funded project, which just isn't feasible. When I was teaching, taking time off means giving up my class slots, my employers would just find a new instructor and I would not get those slots back once done. So taking a grant and following the rules would actually harm my career. The pro move is to take the grant and just lie, no one cares and no one will check, but also that again means Canadians are getting poor value for their arts funding. It also sucks as an artists to work a full 40+ at a job, then try to put in 20 something hours on your practice to get your project done on schedule. The solution: Crappy theoretically good art that is more interesting to read about than look at. It's fast, and time is money.

It kills me when I think too much on the link between cost of living and cultural production. Montreal was always the cheap place until it wasn't, and so much of the vibrancy of the arts here was tied to the fact that a part time job was enough to live on IMHO. I've kept my art career going (slowly) because I can tie it to academic stuff, but that comes with its own set of headaches. And then when art residencies or similar opportunities come up, it's a choice between devoting enough time to realize a worthwhile piece, or having a sustainable income. I've yet to encounter a money-positive art opportunity in my life (skill issue)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

RealityWarCriminal posted:

wish my god honest useful industry could get subsidies instead of useless ones

You just think art is useless, the product of artists is all around you. Basically anything that doesn't look like absolute poo poo, which is less and less these days sadly. NB Arts commissioned a huge study a decade back about the impact of arts funding. Artists generate more GDP than significantly subsidized industries like automakers, and for every dollar put in many more are generated (I forget the exacts, but automakers were like 1:3, while artists were more like 1:5). Best of all, money spent on artists stays in Canada, and the majority is spent in the artists local community. We spend our money close to home, not like big manufacturers that hoard and send profits overseas.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Rodney The Yam II posted:

It kills me when I think too much on the link between cost of living and cultural production. Montreal was always the cheap place until it wasn't, and so much of the vibrancy of the arts here was tied to the fact that a part time job was enough to live on IMHO. I've kept my art career going (slowly) because I can tie it to academic stuff, but that comes with its own set of headaches. And then when art residencies or similar opportunities come up, it's a choice between devoting enough time to realize a worthwhile piece, or having a sustainable income. I've yet to encounter a money-positive art opportunity in my life (skill issue)

Teaching rich people art is generally how I survive, though right now I'm running someone's art studio/factory and that pays the bills. For me, I remember Calgary pre-crash, working part-time paid the bills. Literally everyone I knew had a band/art practice/time consuming major hobby. Nowadays everyone just works like crazy. As a working class artists, I really notice that the artists at those major residencies and workshops are mostly self-funded, and that pads out the CV in a way I just can't do. I saw that to some degree in academia too, to get ahead there you need to get very lucky, or be able to take a position that pays next to nothing. When I was at UofWaterloo there was a scandal with rumors of sessionals doing sex-work to survive. I was a TA and made more money than the sessional prof I was working under. I had another job (3 total while being a student) at a museum and she kept begging me to get her an entry level position, which would pay $18 an hour.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Virtual Russian posted:

Teaching rich people art is generally how I survive, though right now I'm running someone's art studio/factory and that pays the bills. For me, I remember Calgary pre-crash, working part-time paid the bills. Literally everyone I knew had a band/art practice/time consuming major hobby. Nowadays everyone just works like crazy. As a working class artists, I really notice that the artists at those major residencies and workshops are mostly self-funded, and that pads out the CV in a way I just can't do. I saw that to some degree in academia too, to get ahead there you need to get very lucky, or be able to take a position that pays next to nothing. When I was at UofWaterloo there was a scandal with rumors of sessionals doing sex-work to survive. I was a TA and made more money than the sessional prof I was working under. I had another job (3 total while being a student) at a museum and she kept begging me to get her an entry level position, which would pay $18 an hour.

What kind of art things do you do? I was in grad school for sociology but dropped out, the short story being that covid killed my thesis and academia being toxic as gently caress killed my desire to pivot. That said, I had computer touching to fall back on which is what I have been doing to pay the bills. I have been developing my photography practice for the past 15 years or so and the best plan i came up with was emailing galleries. I got my first bite after I left Ottawa from a local place that offered me a solo exhibition and to sell some prints.It didn’t pan out because they’re focused on local artists and I am most definitely not anymore. I am moving a bit into video things, I would love to make a short film or something along those lines but have no clue where to start. You seem to know what you’re talking about :) Any hints/tips? I would love to take the next step in developing my practice but it seems that’s not something I’ll be able to do on my own.

The stability my job offers is great but, it feels hollow. I found a government agency that offers an “accompanying” service but it feels like there’s so much red tape and accreditations and memberships you need to get anywhere that I doubt it will be helpful. It also feels like those who got in the club are reluctant to open it up, understandable I guess given the limited resources. This country is a mess.

edit: typing all this on mobile

digitalist has issued a correction as of 21:33 on May 20, 2024

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003
when I become pm for life the only industry that will be subsidized will be art. Everything else gets rugged survivalism.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
The dairy lobby would have you killed

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I mostly do sculpture and ceramics/pottery, usually traditional materials, but I've done a solid amount of resin work too. I really enjoy both, sculpture is very rewarding and intellectually stimulating, ceramics is fun and provides very stable predictable income, especially right now. I also oil paint, but that is more of a hobby, I don't sell paintings. I do need demonstrable painting abilities as people always want to learn, but I rarely teach it. You know things are bad if I'm teaching painting, which I did a bit during the later portion of the pandemic.

I can't really speak to film/video, I know some people in that world and it seems really tough to break into. It is hard enough that the people I know making Hallmark movies are the ones who made it. That seems to be the recipe, get noticed doing cool indie stuff, then transition to producing slop for some big studio. No one I know who works on Hallmark movies likes it, but they get very reliable work. I can't judge, I'm in the same boat, my day job is making someone else's art for them. It pays the bills.

For traditional galleries, if possible, meet gallery owners in person by going to openings. When they aren't busy, ask if you could send in a portfolio. It will significantly raise your chances of being noticed. I worked at a somewhat upscale gallery once, we got hundreds of unsolicited portfolios a month. If somewhere is offering you a solo show right out of the gate you must be doing something right, they are hard to get as an emerging artist. Just be sure you don't pay a cent to the gallery in fees, and if it is a non-commercial gallery, they should pay you CARFAC fees.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, if there is something specific I can try to answer. For film, it might be worth reaching out to some people you like and ask them how to get started. It is a world I'm only tangentially aware of.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

apatheticman posted:

The dairy lobby would have you killed

Let them draw pictures.

Hopefully my post isn’t completely off topic, feels pertinent given the topic, the intersection personal biography and history and the cultivation of a shared consciousness and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I believe the political calculus goes: people who own property vote, people who rent do not.

You have it backwards. It is not because of who votes, but rather who can and who chooses to vote depends on who feels enfranchised by society.

Respect and support for private property is fundamental, which is of course why suffrage itself was originally bound tightly to property.