Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"I accidentally bought three copies of that castle set. Might as well scalp 'em!"

E: horrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cloks posted:

I've been building the Seinfeld set and while I respect that a lot of people in this thread don't care for the sitcom sets, I really like the creativity that the scale calls for. The desk and radiators in the Seinfeld set and the Expresso machine in the first Friends set are two great examples of creative microscale builds.

Even if you have no interest in building them, I recommend downloading and looking at the manuals because there's stuff like this through the entirety of the sets.

This looks pretty cool indeed.

It would be stuff like this that might make the upcoming "The Office" build worthwhile.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody know the name of this piece? Or know of a set that it appears in? I can't seem to find it on bricklink or Stud.io searching for slope, curve, 4 x 6, 6 x 4.

Edit: nevermind, found it. Slope 4 x 6 x 2/3 Double. 32739

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you were to make a sunset what color tiles would you use?

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Hello lego thread

I don't usually post here, though I do agree that lego is very good.

I am head judge this week for the notorious weekly flash fiction competition known as the Thunderdome, and I have offered to assign entrants lego sets which they then must use to derive their characters and setting.

If you want to write a short story you should consider entering! It is very good and fun. Here is the link to this week's prompt, and everything you need to know is explained in the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953574&pagenumber=55&perpage=40&userid=0#post518764270

But my problem is, I don't know what the best lego sets are. Maybe you can tell me? Please?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hello lego thread

Agreed, come write with us

Also, this is the best set

https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/21322_Pirates_of_Barracuda_Bay

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe it’s just me, but at 10” doesn’t Home Alone house seem a little small? I guess from the photos I was expecting it to be over a foot tall

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yoruichi posted:

Hello lego thread

I don't usually post here, though I do agree that lego is very good.

I am head judge this week for the notorious weekly flash fiction competition known as the Thunderdome, and I have offered to assign entrants lego sets which they then must use to derive their characters and setting.

If you want to write a short story you should consider entering! It is very good and fun. Here is the link to this week's prompt, and everything you need to know is explained in the OP: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953574&pagenumber=55&perpage=40&userid=0#post518764270

But my problem is, I don't know what the best lego sets are. Maybe you can tell me? Please?

Pirates of barracuda bay
The lego roller coaster
Lego friends summer water park or friendship bus
MINDSTORMS

Any of these would make a good prompt. Someone else will have to suggest the best castle set, I haven’t looked at that line recently.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
The "best" sets tend to be big display pieces that might not be the greatest story prompt.

Something like the old ice planet sets or maybe the hidden side haunted lighthouse is the kind of thing I'd be looking at.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
the objective best lego set

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Do they have to buy the set? Cuz that gets expensive.

In any case, from a creative perspective, I'd suggest avoiding licensed intellectual property. Somebody picking a Marvel set and then just writing MCU fan fic might defeat the purpose. Lego didn't have licenses before 2000 or so.

I could maybe help pick out sets, or at least demonstrate good ways to look for them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here are a couple non-licensed sets that I think might be appropriate;

https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/10193
https://www.lego.com/en-us/service/buildinginstructions/10184
https://brickset.com/sets/6983-1/Ice-Station-Odyssey
https://www.lego.com/ms-my/service/buildinginstructions/8632

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

Thank you, these are all very good suggestions! If you want to read the stories inspired by these sets, come check out the Thunderdome thread after midnight PST on Sunday. If you want to enter a story, you have until midnight PST on Friday to sign up!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So I've completed the brick moulding machine, and I've noticed a few oddities. The biggest one is the mechanism - it has a knob at the back that you can turn to make one half of the mould move back and forth, just like it does on the actual machines for the bricks to be objected. It's basically impossible to get any kind of smooth movement going with it, a crank mechanism would have made it work a lot better. It also does that thing where you get some weird part usage that I guess is meant to reduce the number of different kinds of bricks used in a bag, so you end up doing things like using two 2x2 corner bricks where you would have used a regular 2x3 brick. It also has an oddity in the build order. You add the legs (2x2x2 stands) with bag two, but don't build the big baseplate until the final bag. It would have made a lot more sense to either add the supports to the same bag the baseplate is in so you build on a flat surface all the way through, or to make building the baseplate the start. I ended up doing the latter.

Overall though, it was a very fun build. I'm looking into motorizing the mechanism as part of how I'm going to display it, but I have no idea where to actually put it yet.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Yoruichi posted:

Some of my favourite sets from when I was a kid which could be fertile settings:

The Aquashark, crystal hunting scuba pirates' submarine headquarters in the shape of a giant shark

The Neptune Discovery Lab, the underwater base for people mining the crystals the aquasharks want to steal

Enchanted Island, pirates facing off with tribal islanders on their island home

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Yoruichi posted:

A lot of the suggestions above are good but the correct answer is DOUBLE COCKPIT SKI SHIP

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Space pimpmobile.
https://brickset.com/sets/5984-1/Lunar-Limo

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Not emptyquoting.

Mega Core Magnetizer rules, too.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

I thought this was Back to the Future at first. Hill Valley town square anyone?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I thought this was Back to the Future at first. Hill Valley town square anyone?

Oh yeah, I can see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like this little GWP Coffee Cart coming next month, free when you spend $65.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

I like this little GWP Coffee Cart coming next month, free when you spend $65.

Yeah, it's cute. That and Black Friday are the only things on the calendar again. Another empty month. Guessing BF will be double VIP and a $100 GWP of some Xmas themed set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Double VIP is on the weekend of Nov 19-21 I think.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The_Doctor posted:

Double VIP is on the weekend of Nov 19-21 I think.

So the question is either try to snag a Titanic preorder on the 1st, or hold off to Double Points week and hope it’s in stock then.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Sexual Lorax posted:

Not emptyquoting.

Mega Core Magnetizer rules, too.

These are good but the objective best Lego set is BYGGLEK!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So today at noon was Chevy's livestream of the reveal for the 2023 Corvette Z06, so while watching that I built the C8.R I got recently, which is my first Speed Champions set. Now I see what some of you were saying about the 8-wide width, this thing is quite large compared to the minifig. But whatever, it won't fit in with my modulars or any other Lego I have but that's fine. My main problem was just how many decals it had. Good gravy, I should have just bought a diecast model of the thing and bought the minifig off bricklink.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

davebo posted:

My main problem was just how many decals it had. Good gravy, I should have just bought a diecast model of the thing and bought the minifig off bricklink.

Yeah, of all my complaints this is probably the most egregious. At that scale most details can be brickbuilt, and failing that the pieces should be printed.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I'm fairly new to the world of LEGO rumormongering, how likely is this story about 2022 Muppets Minifigs to be true?

On the one hand, it's literally just a list of Muppets characters possibly based on a one-off comment from some LEGO exec about landing a license.
On the other hand, why would it be on the internet if it was a lie??

What to believe!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Promobricks is pretty reliable I think?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Promobricks can be regressive shitheads, but they’re usually very accurate when it comes to leaks

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Promobricks is basically always correct yeah

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hope it's true that would rule

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Yeah, of all my complaints this is probably the most egregious. At that scale most details can be brickbuilt, and failing that the pieces should be printed.
I tend to agree. With Speed Champions, there are bits that are totally reasonable to do as stickers (livery) and things that are fairly unacceptable (physical details like headlights, which should be brick built or printed for sure). Some cars nail this balance, like the 75884 68 Mustang or the 250GTO from 75889, which look totally fine if you leave all the stickers off. A lot of the earliest SC sets are terrible about this, with cars like the 75871 Mustang having nearly EVERY detail stickered - headlights, vents, windows, and the entire front fascia. With the range of parts we have now, we can pretty much avoid sticker reliance even at 6-wide. At 8-wide, there's even less of an excuse, though IMO LEGO has had a decent balance with their 8-wide sets so far, too. I think builders like myself, Jonathan Elliott, RollingBricks, Jerry Builds Bricks, Hachiroku24, and others have proven that almost all of this stuff can be brick built just fine.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

So I've resisted all these blind bag sets so far, not wanting to get sucked into just minifig collecting, but this might do it. How do you all typically ensure you get everything in a wave? Just buy a ton of bags then sell the duplicates, buy a few then get what you're missing off bricklink/eBay, or actually trade what you're missing with other goons or Lego forum people?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

davebo posted:

How do you all typically ensure you get everything in a wave?
I'm not an expert, but from the Marvel Studios wave it seems like the lowest drama move is to just buy a whole set from eBay at a markup. Right now they're $80, compare to $5 * 12 = $60 from the manufacturer.

With the Marvel ones we got a box off the Disney store and it was 6 unique characters, so in theory if you ordered two boxes you could get all 6 + 6, but you might also get 6 dupes, in which case you'd have to keep rolling the dice or buy the other 6 individually at $8-10 and not come out ahead.

I don't love how this rewards scalping/arbitrage but whatcha gonna do?? Other than have a favorable relationship with someone at your local store who is willing to sell you a known set or let you grope all the bags.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

davebo posted:

So I've resisted all these blind bag sets so far, not wanting to get sucked into just minifig collecting, but this might do it. How do you all typically ensure you get everything in a wave? Just buy a ton of bags then sell the duplicates, buy a few then get what you're missing off bricklink/eBay, or actually trade what you're missing with other goons or Lego forum people?

I buy full sets from Bricklink or pre-order them from eBay.

Once I just bought every blind bag at Target, felt them at home and returned the duplicates but I really don't recommend that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’ve always been kind of disappointed that Lego doesn’t simply sell a full set (maybe with a display stand or something) on its own for a bit of a markup. Maybe not for the “mainline” collections, but for the themed collections especially.

Presumably such a move would be throwing away money for them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Blue Moonlight posted:

Presumably such a move would be throwing away money for them.

Nailed it!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I was thinking I'd like a CMF line of historical figures, and it got me trying to figure out who is out there already. Could come up with a few:
- Shakespeare & Lincoln (Lego Movie)
- "Roman Emperor" Caesar (CMF9)
- "Admiral" Napoleon (Pirates 2015)
- Women of NASA Ideas (Jemison, Ride, Hamilton, Roman)
- handful of football & basketball figs

Other big ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Montezuma?