Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Mazz posted:

I tried to summon you to the A/T milhist thread today to right some bad s-tank posting but that’ll do

I haven't been keeping up with that thread at all :smith:

if someone is wrong on the internet though I guess I must do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I guess Russia is admitting at this point that their surface fleet is a joke. Only their submarines are in any way intimidating.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Especially for the crews I imagine.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.360pano.de/pano/pano7.html

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Another Russian caught on dash-cam footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzk_lgUlWag

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I guess Russia is admitting at this point that their surface fleet is a joke. Only their submarines are in any way intimidating.

Not if they don't get that drydock floating again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blistex posted:

Subs will be beaching themselves, whale style, to get regular maintenance!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Meanwhile in America...

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Or if they use it to repair subs while both are still underwater :science:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Don Gato posted:

Or if they use it to repair subs while both are still underwater :science:

<taps head gif>

priznat posted:

Subs will be beaching themselves, whale style, to get regular maintenance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4P2g2cyCKs

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

When did they say that?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RandomPauI posted:

When did they say that?

They announced it via smoke signals.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Welp, look slike the Chinese got the tvc engine working? Cobra maneuver and all the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCmLhB44Og

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I learned how to use a sextant as a curiosity.

I have a thirty‐buck plastic sextant (originally designed for lifeboats) that demonstrates the principles, but a metal one would look better hanging on my wall.

Anyway, what I’m getting to is that the sextant market right now is driven by salvage from Indian shipbreaking yards and I thought that was kind of interesting.

Many ships enter the yards with forgotten sextants aboard, and they’re worth a few hundred bucks to pick out and sell on eBay to yachtsmen.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:haw: I was actually kind of thinking of shipbreaker beach.. Funny that ship being beached looks really similar to the ferry design we have here.

It's pretty messed up that that is the most economical way of dealing with old ships, just an environmental and labour standards horror show.

Good photo gallery I saw a while back: https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/11/the-ship-breakers/100859/

priznat fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 6, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

Finland managed to retain shipbuilding capabilities through specialization (last I heard of it, there's only two spots in the world capable of building those gigantic cruise liners that RCC runs, Finland and South Korea) and we're currently replacing seven beat-to-poo poo navy vessels with four new corvettes/frigates/whatever they're going to call them.
And then Sweden and Denmark fucks it up for them by building the Öresund bridge which limits how tall ships sailing in or out of the baltic sea can be.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

And then Sweden and Denmark fucks it up for them by building the Öresund bridge which limits how tall ships sailing in or out of the baltic sea can be.

Pretty sure the Oresund bridge has a submerged section.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Underwater bridges? What's next? Sky tunnels?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

U-bridges are v much a thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Pretty sure the Oresund bridge has a submerged section.
Which is only 8 meters below the surface. Fine for most ships, but not enough for the mega cruise liners built in Turku.

Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas both had to go via Stora Bält instead, which also has a bridge but has more clearance. Even then they had to remove the smokestacks, wait for low tide and give it full power to force it deeper into the water to pass with only half a meter of clearance to spare.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39909997/ns/travel-cruise_travel/t/worlds-largest-cruise-ship-clears-bridge-obstacle/

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 6, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m not claustrophobic but those submerged floating bridges scare the willies out of me.

Basically Norway wants to build (or has built? Was a while ago I saw this) my personal hell https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/norway-could-build-the-worlds-first-floating-tunnel

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s not so bad in Norfolk but the traffic is hideous during the week.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Underwater concrete bridges anchored to floating pontoons.

No part of this sound like a good idea. Concrete isn't a material well-known for its elasticity.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Look up how much large bridges and buildings twist and sway in the wind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Look up how much large bridges and buildings twist and sway in the wind.

Or just cross the Verrazzano narrows bridge when its windy.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

priznat posted:

I’m not claustrophobic but those submerged floating bridges scare the willies out of me.

Basically Norway wants to build (or has built? Was a while ago I saw this) my personal hell https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/07/norway-could-build-the-worlds-first-floating-tunnel

What happens if (when?) a ship hits one of those pontoons?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MadBurgerMaker posted:

What happens if (when?) a ship hits one of those pontoons?

What happens if (when) a ship hits the pylons on a traditional bridge?

If it’s designed well and with enough extra support to allow for one or two being taken out, nothing. If it’s right at the edge of the structure’s capability to remain intact to begin with it will fail.

Given that it’s the Danes and Swedes I’m going to guess that they hired competent architects and builders and that if anything it’s a touch over built with exactly that scenario in mind, in addition to physical protection for the pontoons and the other collision prevention/mitigation stuff you see commonly on more normal bridges.

If we were taking about one in Italy I would be a touch more concerned given their recent track record with normal bridges.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

CF booze flight has nasty cover-up hangover

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Now I'm thinking "this is what PEI should have gotten"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

This statement was issued even though military documents obtained through the Access to Information law show that the senior leadership knew on Dec. 6, 2017 about the out of control drinking on the trip. This was a flight that involved more than a “few beverages” as the Citizen later discovered. And no commercial flight would ever allow the widespread abuse of alcohol that took place.

VIPs have actually disrupted commercial flights with overdrinking before so...

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

If we were taking about one in Italy I would be a touch more concerned given their recent track record with normal bridges.

The one to be concerned about is the “Bridge of Death” made to connect Hong Kong with China via a sea bridge, the whole thing is surround by one scandal after another; from anywhere from accidentally entombing workers in concrete and no one realizing it to companies cutting corners by building support pillars without steel reinforcements. The thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 6, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not a lot of EA-6s left, anyway.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s not so bad in Norfolk but the traffic is hideous during the week.

Also people occasionally pass out holding their breath while they drive through the tunnel part.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

shame on an IGA posted:

U-bridges are v much a thing.

Is the Chunnel a bridge?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

MrYenko posted:

:piss:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Also people occasionally pass out holding their breath while they drive through the tunnel part.

I'm sure that just reinforces whatever weird logic that led them down that path in the first place.

*The tunnel is full of things because it's a tunnel under water*

*I must go through tunnel, it is faster than going around*

*How do I avoid poisoning myself with tunnel things?*

*I got it! I will hold my breath!"

*Where am I? I must have passed out. loving tunnel things!"

*Oh, no! I am still in tunnel"

*Holds breath*

Repeat

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

Cyrano4747 posted:

What happens if (when) a ship hits the pylons on a traditional bridge?

If it’s designed well and with enough extra support to allow for one or two being taken out, nothing. If it’s right at the edge of the structure’s capability to remain intact to begin with it will fail.

Given that it’s the Danes and Swedes I’m going to guess that they hired competent architects and builders and that if anything it’s a touch over built with exactly that scenario in mind, in addition to physical protection for the pontoons and the other collision prevention/mitigation stuff you see commonly on more normal bridges.

Since these things are floating, I was wondering how a shock like that would affect it. It would be interesting to see if the whole thing could move, at least some, to help absorb it, or if the pontoons would sort of bounce out of the way a little without making it seem like the world is ending when you're inside, or if the whole thing is just strong enough/shaped a certain way to not be affected really at all and the cruise ship just sort of deflects off.

MadBurgerMaker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 6, 2018

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now I'm thinking "this is what PEI should have gotten"

Don’t they have icebergs floatin around :ohdear:

Really that bridge should probably be covered so big rigs don’t get blown over.

E: also if you want to piss off a vancouver islander just mention the PEI bridge :haw:

gently caress THAT BULLSHIT “PROVINCE”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

priznat posted:

E: also if you want to piss off a vancouver islander just mention the PEI bridge :haw:

gently caress THAT BULLSHIT “PROVINCE”

What is even in PEI besides Anne of Green Gables cosplay anyway. :colbert: