Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My wife’s got it and Home Alone cued up in the favorites so she can purchase it when it goes live.

Because the Lego Store we have upstairs needs more inventory, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I called my store and they said it won't be available there until the 8th, so tomorrow is strictly pre-orders. Glad I had the presence of mind to verify that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m gonna buy it but I want double points or a GWP for 600 bones

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

I built Carbohydrates' Mustang

in 3D on my computer. Went together nicely and was a good intro to some advanced techniques!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I ordered the new Tumbler because I’m an idiot. Also, it was already backordered!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I had it pre-ordered together with the small tumblr for just the price of the big tumblr but turns out everyone is selling it for 30€ below retail anyway right off the bat :mad: (it’s cool tho the store I ordered from threw in a couple Star Wars poly bags but was out of stock on the small one by the time the bundle was ready to ship, so it’s coming end of November hopefully )

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
New stuff! Luigi's Mansion and Encanto. That bigger Encanto set has some super cool new pieces/colors such as coral masonry bricks and flame orange 3 x 3 macaroni tiles!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Man I really wish the Disney sets didn't all have that kind of minifig.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Still not a fan of the Mario sets but those Luigi's mansion ones look a heck of a lot better than the current ones

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Oh god my daughter is going to go nuts over coral masonry bricks.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Y'all, flickr is absolutely drowning in incredible builds right now. I don't know what's going on in the MOC community but everyone's bringing their A game. Check these out:

Finn Roberts - Fall Colors

Pieter Post - DRG Baureihe 58-311

Ralf Langer - Halo

W. Navarre - La Tigre di Illaryian

The G Brix - McLaren Artura

Brickleas - Järnbyggare

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I thought this was a gingerbread castle for a hot second

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr has a lego photography contest closing today, that's why so many submissions have been showing up in explore the past week. People getting their entries in.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Goddamnit Titanic is released in stores on the 8th it seems. One can order it online but delivery is slated for late November in that case, I just started my month long holiday I want it NOW

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BigglesSWE posted:

Goddamnit Titanic is released in stores on the 8th it seems. One can order it online but delivery is slated for late November in that case, I just started my month long holiday I want it NOW

What the hell. I just checked like 2 hours ago and the pre-orders weren’t even up yet. Just checked now and they’re already sold out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

What the hell. I just checked like 2 hours ago and the pre-orders weren’t even up yet. Just checked now and they’re already sold out.

That's crazy, I assume you're in the US? I'm in Europe and just ordered one about an hour ago and they are still available to preorder here. I totally forgot preorders start today and I was like probably they're sold out by now, but actually they seem to be still available here.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I’m in Sweden and pre-order looks to be available here no problem.

The problem is the vague delivery date, being “at the LATEST 29th”. At that point my holiday is almost over. I’m gonna return to the on site store on Monday next week and assume/hope that Stockholm don’t have more maniacs willing to pay 7k for a Lego set day one than they have in store. Salesman said they’d get a good number of them so I’m hopeful.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

In Canada, at least, pre-orders for the Titanic started at 12AM EST and ended like 15 minutes later. Ten minutes before midnight, lego.com went into a queue system to access the website.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Prolonged Panorama posted:

I built Carbohydrates' Mustang

in 3D on my computer. Went together nicely and was a good intro to some advanced techniques!
Oh, I didn't comment on this earlier, whoops. A) I'm glad you enjoyed it, and B) that's a lovely render! It's enormously better than what I'm capable of doing. Hey, PM me if there's another specific car or two you want to digitally build.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Was it similar rush to get the space shuttle? I went to the store on release day and got it no problem.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is building lego sets digitally fun and does it scratch a similar sort of itch to doing it in reality? I could be interested in trying it for sets that I otherwise wouldn't buy. And what program would be the best/most satisfying to use for the purpose?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Any early impressions on the Home Alone House? I’m on the dance about getting it or not.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I hope they don't announce that actually, Titanic was an ultra-limited run.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Is building lego sets digitally fun and does it scratch a similar sort of itch to doing it in reality? I could be interested in trying it for sets that I otherwise wouldn't buy. And what program would be the best/most satisfying to use for the purpose?
I occasionally do it for sets I'll never buy, and it is a fun time to me personally. I use Stud.io for all digital LEGO tasks. I built the Creator Expert Porsche 911 this way, and it was fun to learn how all the angles and geometry come together (and how utterly perfect they are) without throwing down the $$$ just to build it once. It depends what you're in it for, though, you know? You don't get a physical model to display at the end of it, but you do get to digest all the tech.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's great for just following the instructions and I find it very satisfying, but when it comes to messing with parts and making something new I can't do it unless I have the parts in my hands.

I use Studio, but be warned there will be missing parts every now and then you'll have to work around, chains are a huge problem (not that they're common) and flex line parts basically don't work at all unless there's something I'm missing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Prophet of Nixon posted:

flex line parts basically don't work at all unless there's something I'm missing.
They do, they're just mad janky.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I like Luigi's Mansion but I don't like whatever these Mario sets are

if they just made a little house with minifig Luigi and some Boos in it I would buy it

oh well

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sivart13 posted:

I like Luigi's Mansion but I don't like whatever these Mario sets are

if they just made a little house with minifig Luigi and some Boos in it I would buy it

oh well

Very much same.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I just really don't understand what the game portion of it is. So like, you move the Mario onto a brick and...number??? Star??? What is this game?????

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

My housemate has the Lego Mario sets and occasionally plays with it, and I still don’t get it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I have never understood a.r. in any application or as an abstract concept. like, I get what it's supposed to do but I totally fail to see how it would be fun or why anyone would do it. pokemon go is the big exception, but it worked because it was totally divorced from reality, like I don't think the algorithm really cared if it was spawning a snorelax in the middle of the freeway or in the middle of a meadow and there were no qr codes, that is no proprietary bit of info linking the augment to the reality

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Ingress was sort of cool because all the "portals" game mechanics centered on were points of public interest, such as historic buildings, public art, well-known landmarks, etc. I discovered lots about my city and walked places I have never walked before or, tbh, since

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Literally A Person posted:

I just really don't understand what the game portion of it is. So like, you move the Mario onto a brick and...number??? Star??? What is this game?????

That's basically it. You have 60 seconds to get the highest score possible, and the way to do that is to scan the barcodes on the bricks - different ones have different effects. You could construct a course and do it :airquote:properly:airquote:, or you could just cheese it by scanning high-scoring tiles. There's not a lot of depth to it, so it's not surprising that kids get bored after a few minutes.

I've said it before, but IMO Lego's big mistake with Mario was to make it all about the game. If it had been a more traditional playset-based theme, then it would have been much better received, and not already on clearance.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I can’t be the only one who didn’t know he “missed the boat” on the new Titanic :negative:

Either they underestimated demand, or I did

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That's basically it. You have 60 seconds to get the highest score possible, and the way to do that is to scan the barcodes on the bricks - different ones have different effects. You could construct a course and do it :airquote:properly:airquote:, or you could just cheese it by scanning high-scoring tiles. There's not a lot of depth to it, so it's not surprising that kids get bored after a few minutes.

I've said it before, but IMO Lego's big mistake with Mario was to make it all about the game. If it had been a more traditional playset-based theme, then it would have been much better received, and not already on clearance.

Hopefully while they have the license they will go further into microscale style builds. I recently saw someone built the overworld from Super Mario World and it's delightful/accurate. That or continuing with the theme of Mario 64 levels which all lend themselves nicely to 3D representation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I can’t be the only one who didn’t know he “missed the boat” on the new Titanic :negative:

If history serves, you’ll be ok.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am yet to see a LEGO set that is hard to get for its entire run, barring limited stuff like GWP or comic con etc. almost anything desirable sells out for the first month or two these days though.

Something like the titanic will probably be in production for years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Hidden Side Castle was pretty hard to get for its 4 month life span.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I am yet to see a LEGO set that is hard to get for its entire run, barring limited stuff like GWP or comic con etc. almost anything desirable sells out for the first month or two these days though.

Something like the titanic will probably be in production for years.
Behold the bizarrely rare 41630: Jack Skellington & Sally Brickheadz set. It had a really short 3 month window of availability, and fairly limited production and distribution as well iirc. It's also the only standard production set with the left 2 x 2 dark green wedge plate (the right one comes in the Charles Dickens GWP, and a matched pair comes in a Comicon exclusive), so God help you if you use 'em in a MOC. I had to have Lizard Combatant send me one from Australia because I couldn't even find one stateside.

Anyway, here's a car. 1970 AMC Gremlin, the mightiest of all Speed Champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a feeling that after this big rush, the Titanic will be a huge enough set (in price and part count) that they will sit in stores for a while. Not everyone has over a meter of display space.