Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

edit:
Oh, I had an idea I wanted to run by you folks. I've got a bunch of 99 cent windup cameras too, and a few of them are surprisingly not terrible for walkaround stuff. Would anyone be interested in mailing those around to do a group roll or something? Take a couple shots, mail to the next person, repeat. Any interest?

there was a winning kickstarter that was someone leaving disposable cameras out and seeing what happened to them fwiw...

ah here we go: http://kck.st/cFDZub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Pentax ZX-M body with a spotless SMC A 50mm f/2
Minolta Himatic AF2

Six dollars each. I'll probably end up using the ZX-M as a backup body to my K1000 and throw that 50 A lens onto my K10 instead of the M-series one I usually use.
:argh: Jerk. Why are there no stores like this anywhere near me?

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

edit:
Oh, I had an idea I wanted to run by you folks. I've got a bunch of 99 cent windup cameras too, and a few of them are surprisingly not terrible for walkaround stuff. Would anyone be interested in mailing those around to do a group roll or something? Take a couple shots, mail to the next person, repeat. Any interest?
I'd be down for this.

charel
Apr 11, 2009
Just pulled a roll out of the tank with 32 blank frames on it, time to ditch that camera I think.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

charel posted:

Just pulled a roll out of the tank with 32 blank frames on it, time to ditch that camera I think.

Testing out the new Olympus Pen Half Frame camera and realized with horror after walking around half of L.A. and taking 70 photos that the film leader hadn't caught when I loaded it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Testing out the new Olympus Pen Half Frame camera and realized with horror after walking around half of L.A. and taking 70 photos that the film leader hadn't caught when I loaded it.
This is my greatest fear.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Now class, this is why we sacrifice a frame or two at the start of the roll and ensure it's feeding correctly before we close the back.

(I've done this too, never again)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
At least photo labs don't charge for blank rolls. Charging for that would truly be kicking a person when they're down.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

HPL posted:

At least photo labs don't charge for blank rolls. Charging for that would truly be kicking a person when they're down.

Some do. :(

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

atomicthumbs posted:

How do Ektar 100 and Velvia compare under overcast/in fog and in bright sun?

I've found when you shoot Ektar in the bright sun the colours go a little weird/strangely saturated, I really don't like it, In the shade its very nice. If its bight I'd go slide film every time, personally I like Ektarchrome GX or VS depending if you want heavy saturation or not.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Did this with a roll of Kodachrome and found out when Dwayne's sent back a envelope instead of a little yellow box. Good times.

Dads
Dec 14, 2007

HPL posted:

On the other hand, a roll costs effectively the same amount of money to develop whether its blank or not. Do you expect the lab to eat it because of your misfortune/mistake?

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
Is film still practical for landscape photography? I was discussing the merits of analog photography with my girlfriend when she mentioned that she thought that film should be used for everything but landscape. Her reasoning is that digital is much cleaner (you're trying to get the detail of the landscape). I told her that you can still get cleaner photos with a full frame camera and some low ISO film. Granted, digital is easier, getting the same shots with film is far more impressive.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Miskatonic posted:

Is film still practical for landscape photography? I was discussing the merits of analog photography with my girlfriend when she mentioned that she thought that film should be used for everything but landscape. Her reasoning is that digital is much cleaner (you're trying to get the detail of the landscape). I told her that you can still get cleaner photos with a full frame camera and some low ISO film. Granted, digital is easier, getting the same shots with film is far more impressive.

If you throw medium or large format into the mix then it gets even easier, you can get hilarious detail out of a 6x6 or 6x9 negative, and 4x5 is many times even that.

I would argue the direct opposite of her, that film is best suited for landscapes and digital is better at the other stuff. Like sports photography, or low light with no flash. Yes digital noise sucks but color films pretty much top out at 800 iso and you can jump into the several thousands range with your average SLR and still get usable results.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Miskatonic posted:

That is ridiculous and she has obviously never seen anything done with medium and large format film, or even low iso 35mm.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Miskatonic posted:

my mamiya 645 says yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can produce acceptable landscapes with a loving iPhone, so I don't understand why you'd eliminate film from the list of acceptable tools.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

Now class, this is why we sacrifice a frame or two at the start of the roll and ensure it's feeding correctly before we close the back.

Just watch the rewind knob for the first few shots.

Miskatonic posted:

Is film still practical for landscape photography?

Negative film does highlights so much better than digital it's pretty much mandatory if there are clouds anywhere in the shot.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Miskatonic posted:

I specifically use film for my landscape work due to it's dynamic range.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

I specifically use film for my landscape work due to it's dynamic range.

Typically how many stops of dynamic range do you get with film vs say, a top of the line DSLR?

Also, how much HDR do you have to do to match the dynamic range of film?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

echobucket posted:

Typically how many stops of dynamic range do you get with film vs say, a top of the line DSLR?

Also, how much HDR do you have to do to match the dynamic range of film?

I probably get 3 or 4 more stops with negative film than with my D700. I haven't done any actual tests though, I just know that on higher contrast days film equals better highlights.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008

"Rontalvos" posted:

If you throw medium or large format into the mix then it gets even easier, you can get hilarious detail out of a 6x6 or 6x9 negative, and 4x5 is many times even that.

I would argue the direct opposite of her, that film is best suited for landscapes and digital is better at the other stuff. Like sports photography, or low light with no flash. Yes digital noise sucks but color films pretty much top out at 800 iso and you can jump into the several thousands range with your average SLR and still get usable results.

Hey that new portra looks pretty good at 1600/3200.

Also how common is the rewind up to the leader in electric cameras?

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Fiannaiocht posted:

Also how common is the rewind up to the leader in electric cameras?

Some will do it, but it's not something I've seen as common.

But fancy cameras will wind the entire roll on and then work backwards (so each shot goes back into the canister), which I think is so cool.

Miskatonic
May 16, 2010

A lie told often enough becomes the truth.
How do you set extended, 20 minute exposures on old film bodies such as my FM2? I realize that there is a timer mode but it doesn't last very long at all.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Miskatonic posted:

How do you set extended, 20 minute exposures on old film bodies such as my FM2? I realize that there is a timer mode but it doesn't last very long at all.

You use bulb mode and a locking cable release and time it yourself.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

"Miskatonic" posted:

Bulb mode and a locking cable release.

Edit: argh.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Is there anything such like as a radio-controlled mechanical cable release?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Rontalvos posted:

I like that my F4 makes a distinct sound when it has properly engaged the film and the frame counter will advance two dots to frame 01. If the film doesn't catch it sounds different and the frame counter remains stagnant. The last time I shot a roll of nothing was with a friend's EM.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

atomicthumbs posted:

I've never seen one, but they probably wouldn't be that hard to make. They do however make ridiculously long cable releases and there are timed releases. What would be the intended use?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

TheLastManStanding posted:

I've never seen one, but they probably wouldn't be that hard to make. They do however make ridiculously long cable releases and there are timed releases. What would be the intended use?

telephoto self-portrait while I am standing on that hill over there

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

It'd be easy to do, just a transmitter/receiver and a solenoid. drat, now I want one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It'd be easy to do, just a transmitter/receiver and a solenoid. drat, now I want one.

Search APUG some dude made one a few years ago. It was part of some crazy scheme to photograph his own wedding with his Hassie (I think).

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

8th-samurai posted:

Search APUG some dude made one a few years ago. It was part of some crazy scheme to photograph his own wedding with his Hassie (I think).

Talkin bout this?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

$200 seems like quit a bit of overspending. I bet I could do it with a short cable release, a tiny solenoid, a couple of rechargeable AAs, and some MICROCHIPS.

Cannister
Sep 6, 2006

Steadfast & Ignorant

atomicthumbs posted:

$200 seems like quit a bit of overspending. I bet I could do it with a short cable release, a tiny solenoid, a couple of rechargeable AAs, and some MICROCHIPS.

As an electrical engineer my professional opinion is that you sir, are very right.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

atomicthumbs posted:

One of the more hard-to-find accessories Minolta made for the X-700 was an IR remote system, I don't know how it triggered the shutter. Did Nikon make something similar?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Today's my birthday, and while friends are at work I figured I'd go ahead and use it as an excuse to get started wet printing. I know you're supposed to use separate fixer for film/paper (because stuff from the paper can mess with developing film, right?), but I just mixed up my second thing of fixer and am still waiting for it to settle. Am I okay switching my film fixer to use on paper, and just using the fresh batch of fixer with film later on? Impatient...

edit: settled enough for dicking around, using fixer stock and pouring back. First test strip came out lovely, I don't know why my book says "exposures should generally never be less than 2 or more than 10 seconds", then tells you to make a test strip out to 25 seconds with 5 second intervals, ugh (and why I listened to the second part). I used a Grade 3 filter but the 5 second one came out really low contrast, I wonder if my safelight (on the other side of the room, pointed away) is fogging the paper? I remember McMadCow hated on the Arista EDU stuff for that reason. I'm pretty sure mine's OC, which the box says is okay. Going out to lunch, will try again later!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2011

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

happy birthday! :toot:

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

edit: settled enough for dicking around, using fixer stock and pouring back. First test strip came out lovely, I don't know why my book says "exposures should generally never be less than 2 or more than 10 seconds", then tells you to make a test strip out to ugh (and why I listened to the second part). I used a Grade 3 filter but the 5 second one came out really low contrast, I wonder if my safelight (on the other side of the room, pointed away) is fogging the paper? I remember McMadCow hated on the Arista EDU stuff for that reason. I'm pretty sure mine's OC, which the box says is okay. Going out to lunch, will try again later!

Really, I think the aperture of the enlarger lens is going to dictate how long the exposure is going to be. What was your aperture at? At f8, a decent exposure should probably be around 10ish seconds, f11 it'll be around 20, etc. But it also depends on the negative as well.

edit:
Happy Birfday!!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

edit: settled enough for dicking around, using fixer stock and pouring back. First test strip came out lovely, I don't know why my book says "exposures should generally never be less than 2 or more than 10 seconds", then tells you to make a test strip out to 25 seconds with 5 second intervals, ugh (and why I listened to the second part). I used a Grade 3 filter but the 5 second one came out really low contrast, I wonder if my safelight (on the other side of the room, pointed away) is fogging the paper? I remember McMadCow hated on the Arista EDU stuff for that reason. I'm pretty sure mine's OC, which the box says is okay. Going out to lunch, will try again later!

I've never had problems with long exposures. Some of the prints I sent out for the exchange were exposed for a total of 40 seconds. I stopped down quite a bit because I found the images to be sharper at f/8-f/11. Either my lens is a bit sharper like that or it increases the depth-of-field on the film or on the paper.

gently caress regular filter printing, split grade printing is the way to go. Here's what you do. Run two test strips, one at a grade 5 and one at a grade 0. For the 0, pick the exposure which gives you the highlight detail you want (only look at the highlight detail, ignore the rest of the image). For the 5, pick the exposure which has the right shadow detail (again, ignore the rest). Combine these exposures and tweak as necessary.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 5, 2011

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

Paul MaudDib posted:

gently caress regular filter printing, split grade printing is the way to go. Here's what you do. Run two test strips, one at a grade 5 and one at a grade 00. For the 00, pick the exposure which gives you the highlight detail you want. For the 5, pick the exposure which has the right shadow detail. Combine these exposures and tweak as necessary.

McMadCow had an awesome post about split filter printing awhile ago in the print thread. It was pretty comprehensive.

Here it is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3194159&pagenumber=2#post367635098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm still getting grey morasses of no contrast, cannot get a white tone to show up. I think my problem may have been developing time: I was using developer at 1:2 and only developing 2 minutes, when for fiber paper it should be 2-4 according to the box. I left something in for like 6+ and it turned totally black.

edit: even the parts of the paper that were covered by the easel are grey instead of white.

I'm not going to do any split filtering until I get regular RC printing figured out!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 5, 2011