Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The "Red Riding Hood" point is a good one, I'd forgotten about that.

In that case I guess I just wish the werewolf effects hadn't been so hokey. And it's not like the effects team can't do werewolves, the same team did the effects for 'Underworld' and they looked fine in that movie.

And yes if the effects are bad enough that it distracts the audience, "it's an interesting idea" stops being a valid reason to use them. It was an interesting idea, executed poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Speaking of hokey effects, this werewolf chattering reminded me of what movie terrified me as a child.

Holy gently caress when I was a kid everything about this movie creeped me out and stuck in my brain. Obviously now I can see that it's a silly movie that shouldn't be taken seriously but I mean come on, when you're growing up, how could you not get a lasting image of this thing splitting a man's head apart.

Or this unstoppable mummy:

..Or the image that I don't even want to display of a guy with a leg cut down to the bone getting used as steak tartar..."

I actually never watched the sequel because I figured it would just ruin my long lasting impression of the first one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wax Works was pretty cool. You know who else was pretty cool?

David fuckin' Warner was pretty cool.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

The cast/characters look atrocious, but I'll loving watch anything involving Pripyat.

Just saw the trailer for Chernobyl Diaries, and these are my thoughts exactly.

The plot looks pretty meh and I don't get the sense that the characters will be likeable in the least, but I loving love anything even remotely relating to the Chernobyl disaster and Pripyat and the like. I'll watch any documentary I can get my hands on. Though I think this may be the first movie I'll have seen that's actually set there. Have there been any others?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I loving love Waxwork. I had a (David Warner) avatar from it for a while.

I kind of want to see it remade someday, because it's not like it's a classic that they'd ruin. It's pretty loving bad, but so much fun.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Just finished The Awakening, and I'm a bit confused.

Is it supposed to be at all ambiguous whether or not the ghost really existed? It seems to completely confirm it, and while I realize that horror is usually about the supernatural it seems kind of strange to spend so much time building up the protagonist as a skeptic only to simply prove her wrong.

I liked the film's atmosphere and even the jump scares, but unless I'm misunderstanding some crucial detail about the plot it seems really contrived and kind of pointless.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mouser.. posted:

Speaking of hokey effects, this werewolf chattering reminded me of what movie terrified me as a child.

Holy gently caress when I was a kid everything about this movie creeped me out and stuck in my brain. Obviously now I can see that it's a silly movie that shouldn't be taken seriously but I mean come on, when you're growing up, how could you not get a lasting image of this thing splitting a man's head apart.

Or this unstoppable mummy:

..Or the image that I don't even want to display of a guy with a leg cut down to the bone getting used as steak tartar..."

I actually never watched the sequel because I figured it would just ruin my long lasting impression of the first one.

I love this post and I think I love you.

I saw the listing for Waxwork on Showtime back in the early 90's, and I'm thinking "this is going to be so horrible." Then when I watched it, I realized that it is the PERFECT B-movie. It's like someone said "we have a Egyptian tomb, a cabin in the woods, a cemetary, and an 18th century castle. Let's cram them all in a blender and see what we get!"

It's not JUST David Warner...who could forget the guy in the wheelchair leading the final charge against the waxworks? I definitely need to get this flick on DVD...

Also...Deborah Foreman, aka Muffy from "April Fool's Day" is in it, and the scene with her and the Marquis de Sade?? Um...yeah. Disturbing, but kind of hot...

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Are there multiple versions of Maniac Cop? I'm getting it from Netflix today (on DVD) so I'm not sure what I'm getting.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

foodfight posted:

Are there multiple versions of Maniac Cop? I'm getting it from Netflix today (on DVD) so I'm not sure what I'm getting.

I think the UK version is very slightly edited, but if you're in the US there's just one version.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just finished The Awakening, and I'm a bit confused.

Is it supposed to be at all ambiguous whether or not the ghost really existed? It seems to completely confirm it, and while I realize that horror is usually about the supernatural it seems kind of strange to spend so much time building up the protagonist as a skeptic only to simply prove her wrong.

I liked the film's atmosphere and even the jump scares, but unless I'm misunderstanding some crucial detail about the plot it seems really contrived and kind of pointless.

I just watched it last night, as well. It's pretty clear the ghost was real. Aspects of it (ie, the final revelation) are implied to be highly psychological or internal, but as a force the little boy is definitely roaming around. The fact that Tom brings Florence medicine to induce vomiting is the biggest objective clue, since Maud (the other point of reference) is obviously a bit nuts. The film wasn't so much about the protagonist being a skeptic and proven right as about her being a skeptic and proven wrong, which I think is what usually happens in movies like this.

The movie is pretty good, I agree, and other than some questionable writing in places it holds together really well. It's better than average, I'll say.

The whole skepticism thing is where it does kind of fall apart, though, because we're led to believe Florence is obsessed with ghosts because of her boyfriend dying in WWI -- this sort of tragic backstory seems to be a standard cliche for ghost hunters, but it's also in effect a total MacGuffin. She forgets all about the boyfriend once it's revealed the house has a connection to her personally, and surprise, by incredible coincidence her bastard half-brother is a ghost, and she can finally believe in the afterlife, which was implicitly her desire all along vis-a-vis the dead boyfriend. But that specific plot thread just... drops. The ghost (?) gives her the cigarette case back and he's never mentioned again.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Waxwork owns. I watched it last night and its just so ridiculous. The climax of the movie was amazing.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
The Awakening wasn't bad, some good atmosphere and scare moments, but the writing really rubbed me the wrong way. I can see the argument for keeping key facts hidden from the audience, but the (metaphorical AND literal) ghost switcheroo at the end pretty much took me out of the movie entirely, and smacked of a desperate need for some sort of twist.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I watched Grave Encounters last night, and for the most part I enjoyed it, although it did seem incredibly derivative. The backstory of the asylum was straight out of the remake of House on Haunted Hill, and the ghost hands scene seemed lifted directly from this well-known "demon" video. That being said, the shifting of the building was interesting to see, I feel like that's underused and freaky as hell.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
Just saw the Cabin in the Woods trailer, is the horrendous overacting intentional?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Coffee And Pie posted:

I watched Grave Encounters last night, and for the most part I enjoyed it, although it did seem incredibly derivative. The backstory of the asylum was straight out of the remake of House on Haunted Hill, and the ghost hands scene seemed lifted directly from this well-known "demon" video. That being said, the shifting of the building was interesting to see, I feel like that's underused and freaky as hell.
I watched this the other day too and the first spoiler (about 2/3 in?) is where I thought the movie kinda fell off a cliff, because really if that can happen at any time then you're just hosed full stop, and after that it just kinda got more ridiculous. But I really liked the space-time shifting because I felt the characters all behaved fairly intelligently throughout all of it (until the screwed point at which point I didn't knock them for doing stupid poo poo like looking in the bathtub or going into the obvious death-trap tunnels: they quickly accepted that they were in real danger, stuck together, and tried various methods to escape. I thought they could have tried harder with a couple of the methods but that's nitpicking.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
I tried watching 7 Nights of Darkness because I also liked Grave Encounters and the premise seemed similar.

Tried. Had to shut it off 20 minutes in because all the characters were such unlikeable whiny fuckheads that I couldn't stand listening to. It's been years since I've come across a movie that I couldn't sit even halfway through. So that's something I guess.

Oh yeah, Subject Two was OK. Super low-budget and it shows, but the acting was fine and the premise was good. With some better actors and production, though, it could have been something special.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched Grave Encounters last night and I really don't see what all the hype is about. I found it mostly forgettable without any real redeeming qualities.

We've just finished watching the Vanishing on 7th Street and I don't think I've seen a worse film in over a year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I watched Grave Encounters last night and I really don't see what all the hype is about. I found it mostly forgettable without any real redeeming qualities.

We've just finished watching the Vanishing on 7th Street and I don't think I've seen a worse film in over a year.

I enjoyed Grave Encounters, it was a decent ghost/haunted building story. One thing struck me as so dumb and obvious though. Why did they not even consider going out the one open window? I mean the ghost even opened the drat thing for them. I get that it was two/three stories up, but they had enough gear to make some sort of rope.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
I'm not sure if we're talking of the same window, but didn't they try to get to it at one point, but the building wouldn't have any of it?

e: Now i'm uncertain, I think the bit I'm thinking of was them trying to get to the roof, I guess they do not make anything out of that window after all :sigh:

PaleBlueDot fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 23, 2012

swoollacott
Nov 11, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The American version of The Ring had a great atmosphere but it did rely on some jump scares, whilst still being a good movie. So for me it was more a "I am scared because I am 14 years old and pushing the deformed and decaying corpse of a girl in my face is startling".

The best cinema experience I ever had was watching this. It was the late night showing on opening day, so lots of teenagers and horror fans in attendance. As the film went on the whole cinema got quieter and more tense and there was a collective gasp when Samara did her thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Watched Apollo 18 last night, and I actually liked it quite a bit.

It wasn't necessarily as creepy as some other "found footage" movies I've seen, but I felt the most effective part was how "authentic" it all felt. It really felt like 1970s NASA mission footage, with the film grain and imperfections and all the mission control comm chatter. I felt the movie sold itself on being authentic footage really well, except for the problem of how did anyone recover the footage.

The moon-rock aliens weren't nearly as hokey as I'd expected them to be based on reviews posted in this thread. I found them really unsettling.

All in all I felt it was worth watching, it certainly was an original take on the "found footage" genre.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Did Apollo 18 really end with the movie just ending ad directing the viewer to a website? I heard it did and it really turned me off.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You're thinking of The Devil Inside. The whole framing device of Apollo 18 is a flashy conspiracy website, the film itself being the full length Youtube documentary.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Thanks, gives me incentive to check it out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah, 'Apollo 18' name-drops a website in the opening text and then it's never mentioned again. I hadn't even heard of the website before watching the movie, and in fact I still haven't checked it out. Maybe I'll take a look after work.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Watched The Gate last night, and I can say that it would have definitely freaked me out if I saw it as a kid. For the most part it was pretty great, except for the eye/hand-stabbing thing in the end. I felt that it was just thrown in there to show off some crappy special effects - though I did really like the mini demon and super demon designs. The same kind of goes for the random zombie kidnapper that shows up. For some reason throughout the film, I was hoping that it would somehow morph in to a ridiculous supermovie with Stay Tuned.

Parachute fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 24, 2012

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Parachute posted:

Stay Tuned.

Holy moley I haven't seen that movie in forever. I remember watching it like monthly growing up. Poor John Ritter :(

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TUS posted:

Holy moley I haven't seen that movie in forever. I remember watching it like monthly growing up. Poor John Ritter :(

I had no idea other people knew that movie, I saw it as a kid and thought it kicked rear end.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I copied it onto VHS from the tv. I loved that movie.

Which reminds me, I've loved Jeffrey Jones in just about every role I've seen him in. Sucks that he turned out to be a pedophile :(

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Stay Tuned really works as a double feature with Gremlins 2!

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I copied it onto VHS from the tv. I loved that movie.

Which reminds me, I've loved Jeffrey Jones in just about every role I've seen him in. Sucks that he turned out to be a pedophile :(
I went to LA last November and saw him in the Starbucks across the street from my hotel one morning, getting a giant tupperware container full of cookies. I was so excited (it's Criswell!!) but was too starstruck to say anything. Afterwards my girlfriend reminded me why the whole getting-a-ton-of-cookies thing might have been extra creepy. But still...Criswell.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Are there any found footage movies that have more obnoxious cinematography than Grave Encounters? It's really loving hard to watch the film because the camera people are just spazzing out on the zoom buttons. I can deal with shaky-cam (even though it gets tiring) I'm not exaggerating though when I say that there are some scenes that consist of a constant mix of rapidly zooming in and zooming out on random things. I get somewhat that there was some parody intended in the beginning but, Jesus, keep your fingers off the zoom every once in a while.

EDIT: To be fair, they stopped doing it about halfway through and spent the rest of the time with static camera shots of them screaming "We gotta get the gently caress outta here! Wait...I thought this was the loving way out of here. What the gently caress is going on? This is all hosed up!"

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 24, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Kolchak posted:

I went to LA last November and saw him in the Starbucks across the street from my hotel one morning, getting a giant tupperware container full of cookies. I was so excited (it's Criswell!!) but was too starstruck to say anything. Afterwards my girlfriend reminded me why the whole getting-a-ton-of-cookies thing might have been extra creepy. But still...Criswell.

I'd still be starstruck and still tell him I loved him in whatever would come to mind.

Does that make me a bad person? Because it might.

I would also ask for a cookie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mouser.. posted:

Are there any found footage movies that have more obnoxious cinematography than Grave Encounters? It's really loving hard to watch the film because the camera people are just spazzing out on the zoom buttons. I can deal with shaky-cam (even though it gets tiring) I'm not exaggerating though when I say that there are some scenes that consist of a constant mix of rapidly zooming in and zooming out on random things. I get somewhat that there was some parody intended in the beginning but, Jesus, keep your fingers off the zoom every once in a while.

EDIT: To be fair, they stopped doing it about halfway through and spent the rest of the time with static camera shots of them screaming "We gotta get the gently caress outta here! Wait...I thought this was the loving way out of here. What the gently caress is going on? This is all hosed up!"
I just watched Grave Encounters last night, and it was kinda disappointing. Like, an abandoned insane asylum is pretty much the absolute creepiest place for anything ever (and I'd loving love to "urbex" one, it would undoubtedly scare me silly) but the characters constantly talking just ruined any atmosphere the movie might have had.

That isn't to say it didn't have some parts that creeped me out (especially the bloody tongue/dude on the ceiling), it just felt like the movie was a really cool idea with a really botched execution.

Silver Newt
Jun 8, 2007

Happiness is being famous for your financial ability to indulge in every kind of excess.
I watched A Horrible Way To Die last night, and didn't really know what to make of it. I really liked the tone at the beginning and enjoyed both the parts with Garrick and the parts with his ex-wife. The unceasingly shaky camera was annoying but not too difficult to ignore, and I was enjoying the reveals of their past history. A couple of the murders became a bit silly by playing a loud musical sting over them, but again - easy to ignore.

Then came the twist ending. Everything we previously thought was false! Garrick wasn't escaping prison to kill his ex, he was coming to save her, and her new boyfriend was the danger! It was a really abrupt change that cam out of nowehere, ended almost as quickly and left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I did like that that his character accepted that he needed to be locked away and that the murders we had watched him commit were part of his inner turmoil - and I know there are people who are hosed up and idolise serial killers but... it felt very unsatisfying for some reason (probably because it happened in the last two minutes of the film).

Has anyone else seen it? I did enjoy it for the most part though and wouldn't mind seeing other films in the same vein, but probably need to see it again knowing how it ends to see if I like it any more than I did the first time around.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

wth

God damnit. Well, that's my morning ruined.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I'm watching the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake and Kris (the blond girl) just got home in her convertible with the top down, gets out, and hits the lock button on her key chain. Hilarious.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Harminoff posted:

So I'm watching the A Nightmare on Elm Street remake and Kris (the blond girl) just got home in her convertible with the top down, gets out, and hits the lock button on her key chain. Hilarious.

That movie plays better when you watch it as a comedy. Doesn't make it any good, but...it plays a little better.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kyle Gallner and Rooney Mara are great in that movie. It seems like they were the only people trying to make it work in front of or behind the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Kyle Gallner and Rooney Mara are great in that movie. It seems like they were the only people trying to make it work in front of or behind the camera.

Jackie Earle Haley did good with what he was given, too. It's a shame; three way above average horror film performances stranded in a way below average horror film.