Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Catpoo

How big is the litter box in comparison to the cat? The covered one I have is huge so it's easy for my little cat to use it many times, but the larger one can't maneuver very well inside of it and prefers to use the uncovered. If I don't clean the litterboxes at least 3-4 times a week there is poop on the mat.

CrashTestVictim fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Here is where it veers into a possible roommate issue. Objectively, the litter box seems kind of small. It's also a covered model, because she didn't want to smell the used box all the time. As far as I can tell, she only scoops it once a week. I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want to poop in a dark, unclean porta-potty every day.

I think the problem is that he doesn't think the box is clean enough for him. The covered box only exacerbates this, because if my roommate doesn't have an immediate reminder to do something it doesn't get done.
You have the problem and answer right here. It needs to be scooped at least once a day, and the fact that it's covered isn't the problem. Think of it this way; if the smell builds up inside a covered litterbox, chances are it will also build up inside your bathroom. She just needs to keep it clean, really.

If it still smells after scoopings, chances are the existing litter's pisscosity has reached critical rear end. Solution? Change all the litter out. This can also happen if the litter is absorbing too much humidity(hot shower steam can do this) and starts getting lousy at clumping.

After that, I'd consider a different litter(cats have preferences, some only like fine litters) or an open box. If the cat poops in it fine when the litter is fresh and clean, having a closed box isn't the issue.

Addendum: Poop scooping should become part of the owner's routine. Whenever I come home from work, I do a scoop(well, roll - I use the Omega Paw because I'm still lazy) to clean out litter, then put out their dinner(twice a day feeding). It's part of my daily schedule. If the box is in the bathroom, she could do scoopings before every shower(so you clean up yourself from poodust, if any).

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
In fairness some cats don't like covered boxes, though anecdotally I've seen more cats that don't care/prefer it than dislike.

Definitely a box not clean enough issue, either way. God bless my litter robot.

benjai
Jun 26, 2007
My cat prefers the covered box way more then the uncovered, which I'm glad of since he's an obsessive digger who spreads sand all over the bathroom. However, I still have the uncovered box in the bathroom, in case I've forgotten to scoop to his liking. Adding another litterbox if possible might help a bit, but bottom line is the box needs to be scooped more then just once a week. Ew.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How essential are those litter mats? I have hardwood floors.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Doh004 posted:

They're great because otherwise the cat will track litter within a certain radius of the litter box. The mat holds the loose litter and also helps wipe the cat's paws off. It doesn't have to be a specific litter mat, just about any mat will do.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
If you live near an Ikea you can buy welcome mats for about $1.50 that do the job well, too

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I have hardwood floors and a litter mat, it traps a lot of the litter so it does help. However, it does not trap all of it. I sweep every day and find litter in places where there is no litter box.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also if there is the potential for any accidents sometimes having a liquid impermeable mat outside the litterbox can help (peeing outside box due to UTI/crystals, stupid cat cannot get butt over edge of box, etc.)

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp

Dogen posted:

Also if there is the potential for any accidents sometimes having a liquid impermeable mat outside the litterbox can help (peeing outside box due to UTI/crystals, stupid cat cannot get butt over edge of box, etc.)

Oh man, Cat did this the other day. I watched him take a nice liquidy poo poo and no amount of yelling or throwing stuff at him made him re adjust his body till I hit him square in the head with one of his plush toys. He's still adjusting to the Blue Buffalo so his poo poo was particularly horrendous. Stupid cats, I hate them all except this one.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Lulu!

She's super lovable, still exploring my tiny apartment, already ate some food and tries to get me to pet her when I'm trying to play video games on my computer.

Yay :)

(sorry for the lovely pics, I only have my phone)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Doh004 posted:

Lulu!

She's super lovable, still exploring my tiny apartment, already ate some food and tries to get me to pet her when I'm trying to play video games on my computer.

Aw! Her tummy and under her legs are a cute color :3:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Doh004 posted:

Lulu!

She's adorable! Look at those eyes. :allears:

Doused
Nov 5, 2011
Yay! Kiko is finally eating his new food. :neckbeard: Here's a picture of the little picky monster in his natural sleeping position. I love him so much.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
where's a good place/site to get a bowtie like this one?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Geno posted:

1. That's not a bowtie.

2. You could probably get a regular clip-on tie, cut it to length and then glue the bottom edges back so it looks like it's supposed to be that length.

As for the collar, you could probably go buy a cheap collard shirt (try a thrift store), cut it off and glue it to the clip-on tie.

Best of luck in keeping it on your cat longer than 5 seconds.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geno posted:

The goon Funhilde sells them: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewSmooth

Dogen
May 5, 2002

We got some christmas themed ones from Target, but those look way better.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Josh Lyman posted:

The goon Funhilde sells them: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewSmooth

Holy gently caress. Now where can I buy some cat-sized sunglasses?

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~
Has anyone tried Blue Buffalo's walnut litter/"Purr and Simple"? I tried switching my two boys off of clay cat litter and one of them rebelled by peeing right in front of the litter box (completely stopped after using Cat Attract and hasn't happened since I'm back on Tidy Cats). Swheat scoop was okay and Feline Pine was nice but they didn't agree with my Omega Paw Roll-n-Clean litterbox because they were too light and/or the clumps weren't very strong.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Are you transitioning them from one litter to another gradually or going cold turkey?

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

HPL posted:

Are you transitioning them from one litter to another gradually or going cold turkey?

:sweatdrop: Come to think of it, I didn't transition at all. Well. Um. I feel like an idiot now, whoops. That was several months ago, they're fine with it now, and I will definitely transition slowly in the future when I attempt a different litter. I see that they have transitioning directions right there on the packaging/website. My question then becomes how the Blue Buffalo stuff stacks up in terms of clumping, tracking, and odor control. I didn't buy a rolling litter box just so I could take the lid off to scoop it anyway, basically.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Joonami posted:

:sweatdrop: Come to think of it, I didn't transition at all. Well. Um. I feel like an idiot now, whoops. That was several months ago, they're fine with it now, and I will definitely transition slowly in the future when I attempt a different litter. I see that they have transitioning directions right there on the packaging/website. My question then becomes how the Blue Buffalo stuff stacks up in terms of clumping, tracking, and odor control. I didn't buy a rolling litter box just so I could take the lid off to scoop it anyway, basically.
From what I hear, you could just keep some Cat Attract handy for faster transition.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Help! Lulu hadn't pooped yet in her covered litter box, and I was just sitting here at my computer when I was hit with a terrible smell. I go check out my bathroom and she took a poo poo in the sink! I've thrown out my toothbrushes and razors and am spraying the entire area with disinfectant.

I made sure she went into the litter box and knows what it is but why didn't she use it? Should I leave the cover off to start out? When she poo poo did she spray pee all over too?

:(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Doh004 posted:

Help! Lulu hadn't pooped yet in her covered litter box, and I was just sitting here at my computer when I was hit with a terrible smell. I go check out my bathroom and she took a poo poo in the sink! I've thrown out my toothbrushes and razors and am spraying the entire area with disinfectant.

Where did you get her from? If you got her from a shelter or something, maybe you can go there and get some of their litter and put it in your litter box so the cat will associate the litter box with the purpose it is intended for.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

HPL posted:

Where did you get her from? If you got her from a shelter or something, maybe you can go there and get some of their litter and put it in your litter box so the cat will associate the litter box with the purpose it is intended for.

Got her from an adoption agency that has their cats stay in Petsmarts. I should email them maybe? Shes checking out the box now with its top on. Maybe she didnt know about it before.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Got her from an adoption agency that has their cats stay in Petsmarts. I should email them maybe? Shes checking out the box now with its top on. Maybe she didnt know about it before.
Has she ever been inside it ever? Make sure you introduce her to the box, maybe rub her paw through the litter a little so she gets the idea. If there's a door on the litterbox, take it off.

VVV: remove door from litterbox

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 13, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I guess she didn't go far enough into it. I had only opened the door for her and stuck her head in briefly. Now I've made sure she's been in the box with the litter in it, rubbed her paws through it and left the top off for now.

Also, after spraying the sink area with the cleaner I still spelled piss. I think she's been peeing in the tub (during the day when I was at work). Had to clean that too and run some water. I'm leaving the door closed for tonight so I hope she takes the hint that she should go in the box.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

^^^^ You should clean the sink and bathtub with Nature's Miracle (or some other enzymatic cleaner) to get rid of the piss. Otherwise she'll keep going back to them because she'll still be able to smell it. At least she did it where it is somewhat easy to clean instead of your floor or furniture.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
My girlfriend's cat is a dick.

He's about 2 years old, and is the only pet in the apartment. He's exclusively an indoor cat (He will not move if placed outside). He is significantly overweight at about 14 pounds, although we're doing what we can to change that. He's been fixed. He is inbred enough that he is polydactl (he has THUMBS). He is also retarded.

My problem with him is that he is excessively meow-y. If he is at all hungry, he will meow incessantly until I either physically displace him to a different and more interesting part of the apartment (read: throw him onto the bed) or he is fed. We have to have him at literally half rations for a cat his size in order to facilitate him losing weight, so feeding him extra is not an option. He appears to lack the faculties to realize that I am attempting to punish him for batting at the cabinet with the food and meowing (I don't care if he hates me) - I'll spray him or move him or make loud noises at him and he will continue to stare at me and meow expectantly.

My girlfriend has informed me that murdering him is a deal breaker, so I'm looking for solutions that aren't a felony.

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

HPL posted:

Holy gently caress. Now where can I buy some cat-sized sunglasses?

http://www.buildabear.com/shopping/productBrowseNewSite.jsp?question=glasses

Have a ball. They're the perfect size for a rat terrier, so it should fit fine on your average sized cat. Why do I know this? Why, Halloween of course!

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Red Crown posted:

He's about 2 years old, and is the only pet in the apartment. He's exclusively an indoor cat (He will not move if placed outside). He is significantly overweight at about 14 pounds, although we're doing what we can to change that. He's been fixed. He is inbred enough that he is polydactl (he has THUMBS). He is also retarded.

My problem with him is that he is excessively meow-y. If he is at all hungry, he will meow incessantly until I either physically displace him to a different and more interesting part of the apartment (read: throw him onto the bed) or he is fed. We have to have him at literally half rations for a cat his size in order to facilitate him losing weight, so feeding him extra is not an option. He appears to lack the faculties to realize that I am attempting to punish him for batting at the cabinet with the food and meowing (I don't care if he hates me) - I'll spray him or move him or make loud noises at him and he will continue to stare at me and meow expectantly.

My girlfriend has informed me that murdering him is a deal breaker, so I'm looking for solutions that aren't a felony.

I had a cat like this I had to give away because she was driving me insane with the constant meowing. The advice I got constantly was to ignore the cat and don't give them a reaction so they learn that excessive meowing doesn't warrant a response. It takes quite the resolve and things will probably get worse before they get better as he tries to get the desired response out of you. Keep in mind that your girlfriend will also have to ignore his constant meows for this to be effective.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Red Crown posted:

We have to have him at literally half rations for a cat his size in order to facilitate him losing weight, so feeding him extra is not an option.

This is probably your big issue here. Unless the vet specifically told you to cut his food down to half the recommended serving, you shouldn't be starving him to lose weight. Imagine if you only got half the recommended calories per day to eat, and how you would feel. Now, if a vet told you to cut the food thusly, keep doing what the vet told you. Otherwise, you do need to feed him a reasonable amount.

I'm trying to get my chubby 12 lb. cat to lose weight, so I've cut his food by about 1/5th a day and I try to engage him in play every night to help as well.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Paying attention to him when he is meow-y just reinforces the behavior.

- Play with him more and make him more tired and more skinny. My cats go apeshit for this thing, even the fat lazy cat.
- Discuss with the veterinarian about switching him to a weight control diet. They have more fiber and thus the cat can eat more of it for the same amount of calories and will be more satiated.
- Try a food toy/treat ball so he has to work for his kibble.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

JimmydaFish posted:

^^^^ You should clean the sink and bathtub with Nature's Miracle (or some other enzymatic cleaner) to get rid of the piss. Otherwise she'll keep going back to them because she'll still be able to smell it. At least she did it where it is somewhat easy to clean instead of your floor or furniture.

Agreed and should have the nature's miracle by Sunday.

She still hasn't used her box yet, and I've been home the entire day. I think maybe she doesn't like the litter? I'm finding out what she used at the Petsmart and may just go buy a bunch of different types.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Hey! I got such great advice in the thread last time that I thought I would ask another something. My cat (his name is Goat) makes a really peculiar sound when he tries to meow. In this video clip, I'm about to set down his dinner dish. He also makes this sound when I feel like other cats would be meowing. I've never heard him meowing before, I'm not sure that he can. Is there anything wrong with him? Or is he just a weird little guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4IkAPSybYo&feature=plcp&context=C49b3b5fVDvjVQa1PpcFPwN_5bneTijcxBcgZmNsZHucaT3FO6iPw%3D

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Agreed and should have the nature's miracle by Sunday.

She still hasn't used her box yet, and I've been home the entire day. I think maybe she doesn't like the litter? I'm finding out what she used at the Petsmart and may just go buy a bunch of different types.

She used the box! :D

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Hey! I got such great advice in the thread last time that I thought I would ask another something. My cat (his name is Goat) makes a really peculiar sound when he tries to meow. In this video clip, I'm about to set down his dinner dish. He also makes this sound when I feel like other cats would be meowing. I've never heard him meowing before, I'm not sure that he can. Is there anything wrong with him? Or is he just a weird little guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4IkAPSybYo&feature=plcp&context=C49b3b5fVDvjVQa1PpcFPwN_5bneTijcxBcgZmNsZHucaT3FO6iPw%3D

Some cats make weird noises instead of meowing, I wouldn't worry about it

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Serella posted:

This is probably your big issue here. Unless the vet specifically told you to cut his food down to half the recommended serving, you shouldn't be starving him to lose weight. Imagine if you only got half the recommended calories per day to eat, and how you would feel. Now, if a vet told you to cut the food thusly, keep doing what the vet told you. Otherwise, you do need to feed him a reasonable amount.

I'm trying to get my chubby 12 lb. cat to lose weight, so I've cut his food by about 1/5th a day and I try to engage him in play every night to help as well.

Honestly, the amounts on the bag (if that's what the poster means by recommended portion) might as well be a total crapshoot, having been determined with respect to active intact cats, so it's not out of the question that this cat (being a 2 year old neutered indoor cat) actually only needs half of what the bag says to maintain a healthy weight. None of my animals consume anywhere close to the recommended amounts on the bags for their weights (and sometimes even half or less!), and none are dangerously skinny, though Yeti certainly tries to convince everyone he meets that he is literally starving to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Man I thought my little cat's crackly meeps were strange. That's still pretty adorable though.