Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Are you absolutely sure your boss isn't loving you in the rear end? He could be selling: "Professional photographs of your newly detailed car! Only $99!" and laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah, pretty sure. I've only done a couple, but they've all got dealer plates on them.

Still a possibility, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I would love to do something like that. Love it. My day job is salary so the ten bucks per car would be totally fun money, or go directly onto my massive, crippling debt.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

ThisQuietReverie posted:

We obviously need a #dorkroom confessions thread.

I make my pictures selective color sometimes. Just to see how it feels.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ThisQuietReverie posted:

We obviously need a #dorkroom confessions thread.

is there a dorkroom IRC channel? there should be

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Are you absolutely sure your boss isn't loving you in the rear end? He could be selling: "Professional photographs of your newly detailed car! Only $99!" and laughing all the way to the bank.

Who the gently caress would buy these?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Who the gently caress would buy these?

Who the gently caress pays to get their car detailed? It's just gonna get dirty again in two weeks, or the first day it rains.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Ever wanted to use your L-glass with an iPhone? Well now you can!!! :downs:

I literally have no idea why you would want to use that.

Unless you are someone who owns an iPhone and an L lens, but no body.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

I took photos at a friend's birthday. This is improvement I suppose? Three exclamation marks, followed by three question marks. The camera must be reaallllly good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

sildargod posted:

It was an original Asahi Pentax, of course. Tell him to try it and see how fast his photos rise in quality!

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
So Rob Hummel claims that every time you take your camera on a plane, your camera's photo sites can be fried by gamma rays and that introduces dead pixels. Supposedly the reason they haven't brought this up to the general public is because of possible class action lawsuits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98FZ8C6HneE&feature=player_embedded#at=480

I don't know, I've been on quite a few flights and haven't had any issues like that.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Who the gently caress pays to get their car detailed? It's just gonna get dirty again in two weeks, or the first day it rains.

I can think of multiple reasons to want to have a clean car, and zero reasons as to why you would want to pay that detailer for photos of your car.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Probably rednecks who think one of their greatest accomplishments in life is buying, driving, and maintaining "fill in the blank" car/truck.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
Dealerships pay for the detailing and take the photos and put them on their website to try and sell the car.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

PREYING MANTITS posted:

So Rob Hummel claims that every time you take your camera on a plane, your camera's photo sites can be fried by gamma rays and that introduces dead pixels. Supposedly the reason they haven't brought this up to the general public is because of possible class action lawsuits.

I don't know, I've been on quite a few flights and haven't had any issues like that.
Now, I'm no scientist or smart person. However, I've heard that the radiation you get from a long flight is less than a chest x-ray. And last time I went on a plane, I had to put my camera in the x-ray, so I wouldn't blame the flight itself if something got hosed up.

Oh, look, a link. http://www.epa.gov/radtown/cosmic.html
PS I have no idea what the gently caress EPA is.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

sensy v2.0 posted:

PS I have no idea what the gently caress EPA is.

Environmental Protection Agency.

(unless my sarcasm meter is broken)

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ThisQuietReverie posted:

Dealerships pay for the detailing and take the photos and put them on their website to try and sell the car.

Yeah, this is the job he's doing. I don't know why someone suggested that they'd be selling the photos to the owners. Of course it could have been a joke post. Sarcasm is hard on the internet.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

onezero posted:

Environmental Protection Agency.

(unless my sarcasm meter is broken)
I'm not american so I actually had no idea. But they sound reliable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sensy v2.0 posted:

I'm not american so I actually had no idea. But they sound reliable.

The US's gov't agency in charge of protecting the environment. Engineers are good, lawyers are idiots. You can usually trust their science.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

torgeaux posted:

The US's gov't agency in charge of protecting the environment. Engineers are good, lawyers are idiots. You can usually trust their science.
I'm just saying dude that says [thing everybody does with their cameras] break cameras without any proof is probably wrong.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

His plane could have gotten hit by a rouge ray, like from a solar flare or something. Other than that, i'm not buying it. With all the photographers that constantly fly, why have we not heard any complaints about this yet.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've flown over 100k miles with my gear in the last 1.5 years and I've never had a problem that I've noticed.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

sensy v2.0 posted:

I'm just saying dude that says [thing everybody does with their cameras] break cameras without any proof is probably wrong.

I know. I was just giving you details on them, and agreeing with you.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
The new CA Photo Annual is here! Wait.. this cover represents the best in 2011 photography?

Drinking game: Take a shot every time there's bad HDR usage or a shot of an empty parking lot. Stomach pump not included.

Found a full gallery, it's actually much better than last year: http://www.commarts.com/SearchOn.aspx?colpg=0&col=1093&inum=381

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 9, 2011

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

torgeaux posted:

I know. I was just giving you details on them, and agreeing with you.
I know you're agreeing with me, I'm just being a dick. Sorry.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

spf3million posted:

I've flown over 100k miles with my gear in the last 1.5 years and I've never had a problem that I've noticed.

I fly on a jet with a gigantic radar system and enough electrical output to power many houses. My camera gear is A OK.

I wouldn't sweat the occasional TSA x-ray.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a T1i stop working after spending 5 minutes in direct sunlight in a car.

Prior to that I'd been in 90-100 degree weather shooting constantly without issue. I've done the same with the camera that replaced it without issue for over a year now.

Lesson learned: with complicated electronic devices, sometimes random bad poo poo happens. :iiam:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I was hanging out with people today in celebration of our latest homebrew (double hopped apricot pale ale, since someone will ask,) and one of my friends showed up with on old CD-R Sony Mavica that her parents were going to throw out. She told me she saved it from the trash because she knew I like cameras and nifty old technology. I love this thing, it takes 1600x1200 photos and takes a good 20 seconds to write them to CDs and reminds me of the first digital camera I used that wrote to floppy disks.

The beer was good and the camera works.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

1: The pixel arrangement on his diagram does not match any digital camera ever made.
2: If his argument about radiation damage on commercial flights is correct, every person who has ever been on a transcontinental flight would have cancer.
3: This guy is full of poo poo (see points 1 and 2)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It fails the sniff test twice:

1) If it were a real issue, then the sheer number of people flying with cameras multiple times would show this problem in vast, measurable quantities, e.g.

spf3million posted:

If the presentation were correct, spf3million would have a sensor covered with dead pixels

2) If the effect is present in an aeroplane, then it would also be present to a lesser effect at ground level - so cameras that never flew would also gain dead pixels over time.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I put my camera close to my router for a while, is it a chance it can be damaged? :ohdear:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Michael Jackson posted:

I put my camera close to my router for a while, is it a chance it can be damaged? :ohdear:

It's dying. The router operates in a frequency that will resonate with the electronics of your sensor and cause it to degrade over time. Even worse, as the sensor degrades, it will begin emitting various levels of energy that can damage pictures taken and, if you're truly unlucky, damage other parts of your camera, which in turn can damage your lenses.

In short, you've given your camera cancer and it could spread to your lenses.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

spog posted:

Unless you are someone who owns an iPhone and an L lens, but no body.

This is me until tomorrow, when my 7D arrives. :gonk:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I got to see my dad this weekend and got him to get in front of the camera for a quick set of portraits. I don't see him often (once every couple years) and I knew he hadn't had a decent portrait made in 10-15. It was really great to get some photos of him with my wife and I. I worked a couple up in lightroom today and I'm kinda sniffling as I realize I'm going to be so thankful for these shots after he's gone.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Elite Taco posted:

That's awesome. My Dad definitely helped spark the photo bug in me, he never had much money to get quality cameras unlike me today. So a couple of weeks ago, I showed him the Mamiya RB67 that I just bought, he lit up. He liked messing with it, and I'm waiting on the portraits to come back from Walmart now. Nothing like some Dorkroom father son bonding.

Now clear some space people. Be prepared for a sweet Rube Goldberg machine using sexy sexy camera gear. What's everyone's favorite part? Mine is probably the reflector chain reaction or the Ok-Go homage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpxd8hzOcQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpxd8hzOcQ

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

My dad had a nice camera collection, including an Argoflex that he used to take lots of photos with, but there was a roof leak :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahaha the hammer taking out the L lens from the Nikon lineup was almost a spit-take moment

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I just got an old Pentax S1a. It's amazing how well they built things back then. Everything on it still works smooth and crisp even though it's been in storage for lord knows how long.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

That's awesome. My Dad definitely helped spark the photo bug in me, he never had much money to get quality cameras unlike me today. So a couple of weeks ago, I showed him the Mamiya RB67 that I just bought, he lit up. He liked messing with it, and I'm waiting on the portraits to come back from Walmart now. Nothing like some Dorkroom father son bonding.

Now clear some space people. Be prepared for a sweet Rube Goldberg machine using sexy sexy camera gear. What's everyone's favorite part? Mine is probably the reflector chain reaction or the Ok-Go homage.

Yeah! Turns out my dad had a full kit that he drove with an AE-1 back in the day. He had a blast listening to me explain how ISO works with new cameras. He was like, "You mean, you just get to choose?"

It was definitely a cool time with him.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Bloody hell - that makes the Honda advert look simple.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I had this funky dream last night where the power switch on my Pentax was broken and that somehow affected the shutter because it was how the shutter button retracted after you pressed it. Every time I took a picture, I had to manually pull the shutter button back up because of the broken power switch. As a result, all my pictures were far, far too overexposed.

The first thing I thought when I woke up was "Man, that was a weird dream. I don't have a Pentax."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

ShutteredIn posted:

The new CA Photo Annual is here! Wait.. this cover represents the best in 2011 photography?

Drinking game: Take a shot every time there's bad HDR usage or a shot of an empty parking lot. Stomach pump not included.

Found a full gallery, it's actually much better than last year: http://www.commarts.com/SearchOn.aspx?colpg=0&col=1093&inum=381

I entered this and didnt get in :(

I had submitted this picture

Black&Black by francography, on Flickr

I like it more then the pet portraits that won, oh well *kicks dirt*