Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Recieved my Alien Anthology from amazon UK today. I love the insane estimated arrival date of October 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Amazon.co.uk has Fight Club and Braveheart for 2.97 each which is a good deal, even though you have to wait a week for it to restock.

Also, you have no idea how happy this makes me :D

Lies, they are £7.50 each :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

henpod posted:

Lies, they are £7.50 each :(

Aww drat :( it was probably a daily thing. I found out really late, and apparently too late for others :(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hitze posted:

Recieved my Alien Anthology from amazon UK today. I love the insane estimated arrival date of October 20th.

Ordered 2 yesterday as christmas presents (priced at about $32USD each, after shipping), and they DISPATCHED today. For some reason they gave me a 10 pound credit at checkout... no idea why.

I am amused at the different wording the .uk site uses. Makes me feel classy and poo poo to put items into a basket instead of a shopping cart.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GORDON posted:

I am amused at the different wording the .uk site uses. Makes me feel classy and poo poo to put items into a basket instead of a shopping cart.

I mean, you know that poo poo's gonna be hand-woven.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema releases for early 2012

Accattone (1961, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Punishment Park (1971, Peter Watkins)
The Insect Woman / Nishi Ginza Station (Shohei Imamura double feature)
Repo Man (1984, Alex Cox)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971, Monte Hellman)
Le Silence de la Mer (1949, Jean-Pierre Melville)
The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Tabu (1931, F.W. Murnau)
Muriel (1964, Alain Resnais)
Ro.Go.Pa.G. (1963)
Ruggles of Red Gap (1935, Leo McCarey)

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 4, 2011

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Masters of Cinema releases for early 2012

Accattone (1961, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Punishment Park (1971, Peter Watkins)
The Insect Woman / Nishi Ginza Station (Shohei Imamura double feature)
Repo Man (1984, Alex Cox)
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971, Monte Hellman)
Le Silence de la Mer (1949, Jean-Pierre Melville)
The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
Tabu (1931, F.W. Murnau)
Muriel (1964, Alain Resnais)
Ro.Go.Pa.G. (1963)
Ruggles of Red Gap (1935, Leo McCarey)

Hooray for more Imamura, can't wait for Two-Lane Blacktop and Repo Man either (shame those covers suck; hopefully not final versions).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GonSmithe posted:

I know this has probably been asked, but the Skynet Edition is the non-poo poo one, right?

It's also the region-locked one :argh:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
No Country For Old Men dropped down to $7.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004SIP90G

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

hitze posted:

Got mine today, too. Hooray for globalization.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Are there's weird effects on the Lion King release? I watched the beginning of the movie to check out pq last night and it looked like when they convert a movie that was in 3D to 2D like you can tell what was supposed to pop out. I'm wondering if it's just me.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

KidDynamite posted:

Are there's weird effects on the Lion King release? I watched the beginning of the movie to check out pq last night and it looked like when they convert a movie that was in 3D to 2D like you can tell what was supposed to pop out. I'm wondering if it's just me.

Did they remaster it to 3D then convert it back?

That's really weird if so.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Disney films have always been like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d4-AUwkKAw

Lion King does the digital equivalent of that.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The Blu-Ray is fine. What the gently caress does "you can tell what is supposed to pop out" mean? Are you complaining about animation layers?

The 3D version is composited differently, too.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 5, 2011

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

frumpsnake posted:

The Blu-Ray is fine. What the gently caress does "you can tell what is supposed to pop out" mean? Are you complaining about animation layers?

It's always fun watching cartoons and spotting the different layers.
"Hm, I'm guessing that boulder behind them is about to explo---" *KABOOM*
"Ok, so Shaggy and Scooby are looking for the ghost in this room of statues. I'm going to guess he's in that statue right there. Oh, whaddya know, I'm psychic."

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Lobok posted:

It's always fun watching cartoons and spotting the different layers.
"Hm, I'm guessing that boulder behind them is about to explo---" *KABOOM*
"Ok, so Shaggy and Scooby are looking for the ghost in this room of statues. I'm going to guess he's in that statue right there. Oh, whaddya know, I'm psychic."

I've always loved this joke Blue Seed did on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIMxWIddmk

Dr Assinine
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

It's always fun watching cartoons and spotting the different layers...

This very thing has always made me wary of how well Who Framed Roger Rabbit would transfer to blu-ray. On VHS it looks fine. The DVD quality was great but mis-aligned layers between live action and animated characters were much more noticeable. They would have to do some serious digital varnish for a blu ray transfer to look decent if it ever happens. (great horny-toads, a theater re-release would be loving awesome)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

I guess I just never noticed it before then. It was really strange during "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" Zazu is really vivid and the background is flat and dead. I wasn't complaining it just looked strange to me. This and Venture Brothers are the only cartoons I've seen on Blu-ray.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ineffiable posted:

I have no idea what I just saw but that was pretty funny.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ineffiable posted:

I like that - although the funniest part was his eye twinkling at the end and him saying "You'll burn yourself if you fall in love with me."

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
For those of you who haven't seen it, Disney finally announced that Finding Nemo is coming to blu-ray. No release date yet, just the announcement. Still great news.

[video type="youtube"]/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P2URyjuWwTc[/video]

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

GonSmithe posted:

For those of you who haven't seen it, Disney finally announced that Finding Nemo is coming to blu-ray. No release date yet, just the announcement. Still great news.

Great news indeed. My favorite Pixar movie by quite a margin.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been considering starting to buy more TV series I enjoyed. The problem is, do I wait for Blu-ray or get the DVDs? I'm not sure if its worth it for shows aired 5 years ago. For example, Arrested Development and Futurama. Do I grab the cheap DVDs and be happy or wait for Blu-ray? If there's a site or list where I can figure out what's not worth waiting for blu-ray on, that'd be awesome too

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am pretty sure Arrested Development is cheap enough that even if a Blu-Ray does come out of the show (I wouldn't count on it), that it would be an easy transition. The Canadian Wal-Mart has each season for $10. I have also seen the early Futurama seasons for cheap.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Moeru posted:

I've been considering starting to buy more TV series I enjoyed. The problem is, do I wait for Blu-ray or get the DVDs? I'm not sure if its worth it for shows aired 5 years ago. For example, Arrested Development and Futurama. Do I grab the cheap DVDs and be happy or wait for Blu-ray? If there's a site or list where I can figure out what's not worth waiting for blu-ray on, that'd be awesome too

I just got the most recent season of futurama in bluray (the comedy central season), and I can't really tell the difference between it and the earlier dvds I bought. That might be my eyes/tv, though. If it were bigger maybe I would notice a difference.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Moeru posted:

Season 1-4 of Futurama was only 480i so short of them putting alot of them on fewer discs, there would be no reason to buy the Blu-Ray.

Arrested Development was shot with the Panasonic AJ-HDC27 Varicam so an HD version is possible. If you have Amazon Prime or Netflix, you can watch it there to hold you over.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Moeru posted:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but just in case: for anything that wasn't originally aired in HD, you should probably just find the DVDs cheap somewhere. Star Trek: TNG is one of the only exceptions. Most shows aren't going to be deemed worthy of such a painstaking restoration process, and in some cases it would be downright impossible.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

That's not really true though. Anything shot on film can be remastered in HD and put on Blu-Ray, and 95% of that isn't going to involve the painstaking work that Star Trek TNG or TOS requires, which is why The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner have pretty awesome Blu-Ray releases despite their much smaller (at least devotion wise) audience.

A lot of the HD push comes from rights holders selling new domestic & international syndication packages as well, which is why even Charlie's Angels, Friends, Hogans Heroes and TJ Hooker have got the HD remaster treatment. There's more HD remastering going on than Seinfeld and Star Trek.

But I suppose that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the DVDs if they're not available in HD somewhere.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 7, 2011

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

frumpsnake posted:

That's not really true though. Anything shot on film can be remastered in HD and put on Blu-Ray, and 95% of that isn't going to involve the painstaking work that Star Trek TNG or TOS requires, which is why The Twilight Zone and The Prisoner have pretty awesome Blu-Ray releases despite their much smaller (at least devotion wise) audience.

A lot of the HD push comes from rights holders selling new domestic & international syndication packages as well, which is why even Charlie's Angels, Friends, Hogans Heroes and TJ Hooker have got the HD remaster treatment. There's more HD remastering going on than Seinfeld and Star Trek.

But I suppose that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the DVDs if they're not available in HD somewhere.

That's my big dilemma in the end. I really can't afford to double dip on releases and while DVDs are cheap, I'm hard pressed to replace something unless the blu-ray is just that much better. Realistically, this is only a problem for TV shows since I'm not crazy about extras on either format

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

When you're talking hypothetical Blu-Rays at this point, I wouldn't worry about it.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Sporadic posted:

Season 1-4 of Futurama was only 480i so short of them putting alot of them on fewer discs, there would be no reason to buy the Blu-Ray.

If they ever did Blu-ray for Futurama seasons 1-4, it'd be like the earlier Simpsons seasons they're doing on Blu-ray now (13 and 14, and the first half of season 20) - upscaled to 1080p. Animation upscales pretty easily and you'd presumably have none of the ghosting / macroblocking issues the DVDs have (a pre-processed upscale from the master looks noticeably better than an on-the-fly upscale of a lossy already-compressed DVD, if said Simpsons season are any judge). Plus the color reproduction is a whole lot better, and you'd have lossless audio.

Whether that's of interest is up to you (if they even do this for shows that aren't of Simpsons-level popularity) - but this seems to be how they'd do it, there is no precedent or apparent interest in just putting 480i content onto fewer discs (thank god).

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Whether that's of interest is up to you (if they even do this for shows that aren't of Simpsons-level popularity) - but this seems to be how they'd do it, there is no precedent or apparent interest in just putting 480i content onto fewer discs (thank god).

Waaaaaay down the line, though, that's how I expect some studios to package their deep catalog TV stuff: shovel existing 480i masters onto Blu to save cash and space. A 4:1 more-stuff-on-the-disc ratio is nothing to sneeze at, given a continued drop in BD mastering costs. I bet we'll see it primarily as MOD or as a Walmart Endcap Special if BD penetration ever makes that kind of thing viable.

Which isn't to say I want that to become the norm, but that might be the only way to make releasing, say, the last three seasons of Green Acres viable, or any other marginal seller that would come on way too many single-layer MOD DVDs.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Shadley Puffin posted:

Waaaaaay down the line, though, that's how I expect some studios to package their deep catalog TV stuff: shovel existing 480i masters onto Blu to save cash and space. A 4:1 more-stuff-on-the-disc ratio is nothing to sneeze at, given a continued drop in BD mastering costs. I bet we'll see it primarily as MOD or as a Walmart Endcap Special if BD penetration ever makes that kind of thing viable.

Which isn't to say I want that to become the norm, but that might be the only way to make releasing, say, the last three seasons of Green Acres viable, or any other marginal seller that would come on way too many single-layer MOD DVDs.

It's probably cheaper to produce 4 DVDs than 1 Blu-ray - in terms of authoring, and in terms of manufacturing. And they have all these lovely cases that fit 8 discs into the width of the original 1-disc DVD cases, so I really don't think number of discs is an issue. In many cases, people feel the studios use an unnecessarily large number of discs to give the impression of more bang for your buck.

The studios do not want to confuse people on the distinction between Blu-ray and DVD. Blu-ray is the premium product, with high def picture and sound. While I know the more technically astute (or just OCD) would argue that many Blu-rays far from live up to the marketing hyperbole, it's hard to argue what message the studios are trying to send to consumers. Putting 480i content is a big shift from that strategy, especially non-upscaled as you're advocating - without the upscaling, then their TV and receiver will even be able to tell them the content is standard def with the big "480i/p - SD" in the upper left hand that many TVs do when you switch resolutions.

The only way I see this ever happening is if Blu-ray becomes so ubiquitous that DVD as a viable format is no more, the way VHS is today. In that case, even if the material is only 480i/p, they still need to release on Blu-ray to even register on people's radar. And that's a big if - nevermind the fact that downloading/streaming will continue to make inroads on the portion of the market that doesn't care about audio/video quality.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 7, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

The studios do not want to confuse people on the distinction between Blu-ray and DVD. Blu-ray is the premium product, with high def picture and sound. While I know the more technically astute (or just OCD) would argue that many Blu-rays far from live up to the marketing hyperbole, it's hard to argue what message the studios are trying to send to consumers. Putting 480i content is a big shift from that strategy, especially non-upscaled as you're advocating - without the upscaling, then their TV and receiver will even be able to tell them the content is standard def with the big "480i/p - SD" in the upper left hand that many TVs do when you switch resolutions.

Fox already did it twice with the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 5 and Christmas movie.

quote:

Season five marks It's Always Sunny's second appearance on Blu-ray, after the Very Sunny Christmas special in 2009. Diehard fans of the show are aware that seasons 1-5 were shot on standard definition video, but I can envision plenty of casual viewers picking up this Blu-ray set— expecting, as the back of the case claims, "the ultimate high definition experience"—and being severely disappointed by the blurriness of the upconverted 1080p/AVC-encoded presentation. While A Very Sunny Christmas had a small "1080p upconverted" disclaimer on the back of the Blu-ray case, there's no warning at all on this set. To be honest, I'm more upset about the lack of honesty in the marketing than the poor picture quality. Even compared to other standard definition shows, It's Always Sunny has always looked soft, so it's really not fair to lambaste season five's PQ, which makes the most out of its low-res source material. It is what it is. That said, be aware that the image is extremely soft and smeary, with no fine detail whatsoever—not even in close-ups. The picture might look decent on a very small screen, but no one would ever confuse it for a native high definition production. As you'd expect from standard definition video, color is realistic but muted, black levels are slightly hazy, and white highlights are often completely blown out. You'll also notice occasional aliasing and shimmer, especially anytime there are close parallel lines or tight patterns. Season five looks moderately better than A Very Sunny Christmas, but that really isn't saying much.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Putting 480i content is a big shift from that strategy, especially non-upscaled as you're advocating - without the upscaling, then their TV and receiver will even be able to tell them the content is standard def with the big "480i/p - SD" in the upper left hand that many TVs do when you switch resolutions.

The only way I see this ever happening is if Blu-ray becomes so ubiquitous that DVD as a viable format is no more, the way VHS is today. In that case, even if the material is only 480i/p, they still need to release on Blu-ray to even register on people's radar. And that's a big if - nevermind the fact that downloading/streaming will continue to make inroads on the portion of the market that doesn't care about audio/video quality.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not pro-lazy recycling at all, I just think there may be a marginal use case here in the manufacture-on-demand arena (Wal-Mart probably a bad idea then). You're right about market confusion - there's enough difficulty explaining HD formats to people without giving studios an excuse to start passing 480i off as HD. The Warner Archive and Sony's MOD programs are doing yeoman's work, so I suppose I'll keep looking there for DVD orphans. :)

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Sporadic posted:

Fox already did it twice with the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 5 and Christmas movie.

Both were upscaled to 1080p and had lossless audio, with a normal episode-to-disc ratio. The quality is slightly better so there's some SMALL justification, and the disc was high definition from a purely technical standpoint so people's home theater equipment would not expose it as standard def.

In my opinion, it's them trying to justify a Blu-ray release (both for the slightly higher MSRP and to grow the Blu-ray market) by doing the best possible with the material's inherent low quality (same for a release like 28 Days Later). Very different from putting out a product that advertises itself as identical in performance to a standard DVD, just on fewer discs.

To someone like you who understands what is really going on, there may not be much of a difference between these two concepts. But from a marketing angle, and to people who DON'T understand these things, there's a sizable difference.

Neo_Reloaded fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 7, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
12 Monkeys dropped down to $7.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0026FCNK2

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Both were upscaled to 1080p and had lossless audio, with a normal episode-to-disc ratio. The quality is slightly better so there's some SMALL justification, and the disc was high definition from a purely technical standpoint so people's home theater equipment would not expose it as standard def.

In my opinion, it's them trying to justify a Blu-ray release (both for the slightly higher MSRP and to grow the Blu-ray market) by doing the best possible with the material's inherent low quality (same for a release like 28 Days Later). Very different from putting out a product that advertises itself as identical in performance to a standard DVD, just on fewer discs.

To someone like you who understands what is really going on, there may not be much of a difference between these two concepts. But from a marketing angle, and to people who DON'T understand these things, there's a sizable difference.

But upscale isn't anywhere close to native HD quality and barely anybody has the proper equipment to take advantage of lossless audio.

I don't think they will ever promote SD content on Blu as the same thing as DVD but on less discs..but I do think that people don't want to have to keep getting up to change discs (I know, not that big of a deal but streaming does eliminate that completely) or deal with shotty packaging with a ton of discs (like the majority of TV shows that are getting cheaper re-releases)

Given the choice between something like The Wire: Complete Series on 5 discs in a normal Blu-Ray case or 23 DVDs in a box with paper sleeves, at the same price, I think most would go for the Blu-Ray.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 8, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

frumpsnake posted:

My god, you can definitely tell that this is in the beginning of digital coloring for animated films. Most of those look like what I'd consider to be bad fan-art coloring today. Despite the sharpness I actually think the upscaled version looks better because of the grain and texture. The Blu-Ray makes it look awful. Maybe it's better in motion, though. But some of those gradients are terrible.

e: not in the particular screenshot I quoted, but moreso in the closeups

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 8, 2011

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Is there anything rattling around the rumor mill about either The Wire or West Wing on Blu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

frumpsnake posted:

We need more Wildebeest! *copy/paste*

gently caress it, we need more animals! *copy/paste copy/paste copy/paste*

• Locked thread