Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

I agree that the show is really lacking these days (when it's even on) but I can tell it's still relevant.
How?
By the way any celeb comes into the studio and gets the Howard Stern Interview Treatment™, even with the rear end in a top hat-licking and the, "Did you ever do her with a strap-on" stuff, he still gets stuff that gets scooped up and shotgunned all over the mass-market media. And people eat it up. Someone else with a better memory can come in here and post more examples, but I can throw out a few: Lady Gaga is the one I think of most recently. Jesse James and that Bombshell MacGee chick. Crystal what's-her-name talking about Hugh Hefner (which prompted not just a lot of media attention but Hef actually releasing a public rebuttal. Reaching back, I remember the Billy Joel interview as a highlight. David Arquette's many appearances and call-ins which drew much attention, and I am sure there are many others but they aren't coming to mind right now.

People who wan to diss Howard always scoff that he's disappeared since leaving terrestrial radio. The fact that they are still talking about him and lifting material from his show belies that premise.

I hope you're kidding, because none of that really justifies the poo poo the show has become.

All of those things could happen without the show. There is nothing inherently Stern about any of those. David Arquette could have called up a number of tabloids and went off. He could have posted a diatribe on YouTube, or gone on a streaming video site and did his thing. Stern was just an outlet like any other. Having various things like 'husband of celebrity that had a few roles flips out' really doesn't prove 'Stern is relevant' as much as 'radio show that did a lot of stuff for radio now acts like any other media outlet.'

I think radio has hit the wall when it comes to shock comedy. You can make a lot of things more entertaining when various parts of culture are censored that would make bad comedy suddenly amusing. This isn't a defense of censorship, but an explanation of why things like 'Homocop' were funny before but now are just flat and awful puns. The era of the shock jock when it comes to radio is coming to a close. Without the spectre of censorship to fight, you get what we have today: insightful and witty comedy that is free to speak is being trumped by lazy humor that needed shock to make it worthwhile, or that masked the awfulness of the joke itself. You get bored shock jocks that need to shock but find that they have no wall to play off of, no fight really to fight. You have manufactured drama that comes off as desperate and forced instead of natural and entertaining. Comedy is replaced by a bunch of people who had a far too easy time playing off censorship and got lazy, and now find that they have to work harder to get better laughs and fall back to what was easy in the first place. This isn't specific to just Stern, either, but his status in the medium shows how close the end to that paradigm is. The true tragedy is that Stern could fight this decline, or take the initiative and find a way to either retain the genre for his own purpose or be the pioneer and take radio to another place. Instead, he chooses to let the opportunity pass him by, or is too confused by the change to even attempt to understand it or adapt to it.

In a way, I want Stern to truly change the face of radio, and figure out what comes next. But I know right now he suffers from the same problem that a lot of people do. They fear the future, they fear actual change, and they will do anything they can to stop what comes next as much as they can. The show will continue for the most part, but its days of being what it was is over. We can talk about its relevancy and how its ripped off, but the only thing ripping it off is Jay Leno and he's coming to the end of the talk show paradigm as well and in much the same position as Stern, only he's too dedicated to his job and still has the same result. If you have to talk about how the show is relevant, then the show is simply not relevant. I only wish it could be entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kelly posted:

This is really old, but it's so pretentious - you gotta love Robin!

http://www.app.com/4074/july2008/fashion/features.html

There is a photo of her looking out of her window very pensively that made me laugh so hard I started to choke.

It's very long, so I won't copy and paste it.

Isn't capitalizing words like Me, Him, His, etc mid-sentence only for when you're talking about God?

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

In a way, I want Stern to truly change the face of radio, and figure out what comes next. But I know right now he suffers from the same problem that a lot of people do. They fear the future, they fear actual change, and they will do anything they can to stop what comes next as much as they can.

I'm not sure how many folks here listen to Adam Carolla's podcast regularly, but that's a dude who passed up a multi-million-dollar syndicated radio gig to keep doing his podcast. I spend a good deal of my down time listening to Carolla, Marc Maron, Paul Gilmartin, and Doug Benson. When I was unemployed and sitting around the house, something like Sirius made a lot more sense. Now that I'm out and about again, it's podcasts.

Or, you know, Eric the Midget clip packs.

Stern has grossly underestimated the internet for what seems like a long time now, and he may be a bajillionaire but he's no king.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

AltronHGX posted:

Isn't capitalizing words like Me, Him, His, etc mid-sentence only for when you're talking about God?

Isn't she?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AltronHGX posted:

Dominants and Dominatrixes do it, to. Also, the abbreviation M/s (Master/slave) is deliberately capitalized that way.

I still think it's pretty stupid.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Millstone posted:

Isn't she?

:rimshot:

Nicely done.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The problem with JD getting fat is since he doesn't dress well to begin with, he looks much larger than he really is.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
JD has an anxiety disorder, he probably is binge eating for relief.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

ChaosMonkey posted:

Stern has grossly underestimated the internet for what seems like a long time now, and he may be a bajillionaire but he's no king.

And rightly so, those podcast guys you listed are busting their asses for a fraction of what he can and does make.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

pkd88 posted:

JD has an anxiety disorder, he probably is binge eating for relief.

Or he works with dudes who run a fast food show and works lovely hours and doesn't give a poo poo about the way he looks or feels.

He just eats like poo poo and doesn't work out and his youth is no longer fighting it for him.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

Or he works with dudes who run a fast food show and works lovely hours and doesn't give a poo poo about the way he looks or feels.

I'm pretty sure just being in the same room as Jason Kaplan and Jon Hein will make you gain weight. Mostly likely from inhaling their evaporated pork-sweat fumes.

Also AxeManiac, what's your stance on posting websites that host all the old Sirius Stern shows?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pretty sure posting full uneditted shows of content (other than free poo poo like radio) is a big no-no. Hopefully this doesn't count as backseat modding since you were soliciting help :ohdear:

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

I agree that the show is really lacking these days (when it's even on) but I can tell it's still relevant.
How?
By the way any celeb comes into the studio and gets the Howard Stern Interview Treatment™, even with the rear end in a top hat-licking and the, "Did you ever do her with a strap-on" stuff, he still gets stuff that gets scooped up and shotgunned all over the mass-market media. And people eat it up. Someone else with a better memory can come in here and post more examples, but I can throw out a few: Lady Gaga is the one I think of most recently. Jesse James and that Bombshell MacGee chick. Crystal what's-her-name talking about Hugh Hefner (which prompted not just a lot of media attention but Hef actually releasing a public rebuttal. Reaching back, I remember the Billy Joel interview as a highlight. David Arquette's many appearances and call-ins which drew much attention, and I am sure there are many others but they aren't coming to mind right now.

People who wan to diss Howard always scoff that he's disappeared since leaving terrestrial radio. The fact that they are still talking about him and lifting material from his show belies that premise.

The lady, I mean Stephanie interview was a waste of time, he pulled nothing interesting out of her.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

Dominants and Dominatrixes do it, to. Also, the abbreviation M/s (Master/slave) is deliberately capitalized that way.

I still think it's pretty stupid.

Did you learn that at your pervert camp?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Vakal posted:

Also AxeManiac, what's your stance on posting websites that host all the old Sirius Stern shows?

Not really my forum to make rules in, but I think archives are against the spirit of the forums, clips and collections are on the edge as it is. We don't need Stern suing us for his lost subscribers.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

I'm pretty sure Howard thinks that Stern Fan Network is the only forum on the Internet. He wouldn't know how to find us.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kelly posted:

I'm pretty sure Howard thinks that Stern Fan Network is the only forum on the Internet. He wouldn't know how to find us.

Howard has crack men for just those tasks though.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

Vakal posted:

Howard has crack men for just those tasks though.

HAAAaaaaa!

Well done Vakal :D

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Not sure if anyone has tried to use it since Sirius updated to their new (horrid) website, but the XMTuner application is working again on your PC. It wasn't working for some reason (for me at least) after they updated the website, but I tried it on a whim today and it works just fine.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Not trying to defend the content of the actual show, merely talking about the word "relevant" and what I think it means? Is the show mostly terrible? I might have said, "I don't think so," but that interminable rant to Robin about getting organized was maybe the stupidest thing I've ever sat through without giving up. Luckily I was working so it was mostly background noise.

But my loving God that was incredibly loving stupid.

ziglol
Oct 13, 2006

Kelly posted:

Howard has mentioned on the show he uses Google Alerts (probably on his name), so I wouldn't doubt that he has probably stumbled across one of these SA threads before.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

But my loving God that was incredibly loving stupid.

The way he went on about calenders and to do lists you would have thought he found the cure to cancer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

chiz posted:

Did you learn that at your pervert camp?

No, at pervert camp you learn new skills and play your rear end off. It's spergy nerds that sit home and stress over "proper" capitalization protocols.

I have considered calling in with my grope box story, but I don't get up as early these days. Maybe I should call in to the Wrap Up show and tell Benji directly.

Ironf
Jul 29, 2004
Visit Homegame Industries www.homegame.org
I'm pretty sure I can't think of a better way to spend a vacation that going to this. Actually chewing on a shotgun shell might edge it out. Barely.

http://gothamist.com/2010/08/12/cat_fashion_show.php#photo-7

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ironf posted:

I'm pretty sure I can't think of a better way to spend a vacation that going to this. Actually chewing on a shotgun shell might edge it out. Barely.

Holy poo poo that poor cat and the look on Beth's face is pure terror and delight in its misery.

EDIT: Where was Howard during all of this?? Perfect chance for his mad photography skillz.

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2011

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Ironf posted:

Ugh. Too much money and too much free time. Honestly, how can you NOT laugh at this?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kelly posted:

Ugh. Too much money and too much free time. Honestly, how can you NOT laugh at this?

Personally I find it kind of sad since to get a cat to stand still, let alone wear clothes, means that they're pretty much broken inside.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
50 cats in elf suits, all going

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Isn't this sort of thing blatant animal abuse?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

lynch_69 posted:

Isn't this sort of thing blatant animal abuse?

I think so, but then again, I like cats.

Obviously not abuse in the eyes of the law. I say we sic Pet Island on em.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Good god, Beetlejuice meets Gilbert is the best poo poo ever.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5TkJNL9W0Q

A great Jerky Boys call using Gary's name.

And for anyone that wants to hear some great prank calls, check out this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432129&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Do cats lose points for bending one leg

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Inferior cats with one leg bent syndrome are immediately moved into the Hamptons Howie Memorial Cat Center, and put under the care of Executive Director Beth Ostrosky Stern

Mike Tahoe
May 21, 2007

He knows what it means.

Skitz posted:

Good god, Beetlejuice meets Gilbert is the best poo poo ever.

Listening to it was goo for me.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

All this talk about his absenteeism and his issues and whatnot got me thinking: Will he be able to handle one or both of his parents dying? They're older than dirt at this point after all. He very obviously never cut his mommy's apron strings and I can't imagine that he won't collapse as a person.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Yeah, as morbid as it sounds, I'm really interested in finding out how he'll end up handling his parents' death if he's still on the air

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

Yeah, as morbid as it sounds, I'm really interested in finding out how he'll end up handling his parents' death if he's still on the air

Sixteen more weeks of vacation.

Mike Tahoe
May 21, 2007

He knows what it means.
This is one of my favorite Beetlejuice clips. I start losing it around 3:40. Beet gets so pissed at Sal that he's almost coherent for a little bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8FC6zrfU1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Ironf posted:

I'm pretty sure the only way out of this slippery slope is a 'whoops the condom fell off'