Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

david puddy posted:

The last CD I sold on eBay jumped from $115 to $265 in the last, like, 5 seconds before the auction finished. You might get more for it yet.

Yea, purely anecdotal but after getting sniped on so many auctions I gave up my ethics and joined the bid sniping game, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the norm as a lot of items I watch tend to get good last minute bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I probably spend too much money on records.

The coup de grace:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Make sure to check everywhere you can for a record when you find an old one. I heard about this psych/doom record from 2011 and thought it was probably a lost cause, since used copies were $40 on Discogs. I found a similar deal on a Wolves in the Throneroom album.

Followed them on Facebook and found an old update about their merch page.

Ordered it from them for $23 new, straight from the band.

alg fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 2, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I went back to the Salvation Army today and picked up the rest of their Swedish records that I passed on last time.

Ulf Lundell - Nådens år
Torsten Wallen - När Kulorna Rullar ‎
Anita Lindblom - Self Titled
Arja Saijonmaa and Mikis Theodorakis ‎– Det Är Tid Att Sjunga Sånger
Röda bönor - Sköna Skrönor (On the cover the album name is first so it says "Skona Skronor Rode A Boner" :mmmhmm:)

I don't know the language or anything about the music, but this stuff is fun to listen to.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone know of any 10" outer sleeves that would fit over a 10" gatefold? The outers I've got only fit tiny skinny 10" sleeves and I've got Radiohead, Sigur Ros and Porcupine Tree records just sitting around with no proper sleeves.

edit: never mind just ordered some off Insound and ordered a record as well to make the shipping not so ridiculous

edit 2: this came in the post today and it's glorious:

This one is someone else's photo but it is a much better photo than I can take, it's seriously so gorgeous:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 3, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wa27 posted:

Röda bönor - Sköna Skrönor (On the cover the album name is first so it says "Skona Skronor Rode A Boner" :mmmhmm:)

No it doesn't since ö is not an o. Å is, however.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/03/amazons-autorip/

quote:

Amazon's embracing the concept by extending its AutoRip promotion to records, giving consumers a 256 Kbps cloud-based copy of the music they buy on vinyl.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

david puddy posted:

edit 2: this came in the post today and it's glorious:

This one is someone else's photo but it is a much better photo than I can take, it's seriously so gorgeous:

I just got that in the mail yesterday, too! A very quiet and pretty album and a steal at 20 bucks including shipping, too.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

wa27 posted:

I went back to the Salvation Army today and picked up the rest of their Swedish records that I passed on last time.

Ulf Lundell - Nådens år
Torsten Wallen - När Kulorna Rullar ‎
Anita Lindblom - Self Titled
Arja Saijonmaa and Mikis Theodorakis ‎– Det Är Tid Att Sjunga Sånger

I don't know the language or anything about the music, but this stuff is fun to listen to.

Ulf Lundell is considered the "Swedish Dylan", though I have personally never gotten into him. Röda Bönor is Swedish communist prog. Arja Saijonmaa is also some kind of folk singer and has some really good songs (Jag vill tacka livet is a favorite). Anita Lindblom is just a classic schalger singer. Torsten Wallen I have no clue who it is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

von Braun posted:

Ulf Lundell is considered the "Swedish Dylan", though I have personally never gotten into him. Röda Bönor is Swedish communist prog. Arja Saijonmaa is also some kind of folk singer and has some really good songs (Jag vill tacka livet is a favorite). Anita Lindblom is just a classic schalger singer. Torsten Wallen I have no clue who it is.

Thanks, it's nice to have some context! I've been putting them on as background music while I work. Normally I listen to instrumentals or I get distracted, but it turns out languages you don't speak are just as good. :)

One thing I've noticed though - all the sleeves are flimsy and poorly glued together, and it's not like they're all from the same label. Are a lot of European releases like that?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Swedish communist prog sounds like the very greatest thing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Came in today, thanks for the heads up, I love the b side!

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Swedish communist prog sounds like the very greatest thing.

For some reason a lot of bands of that era flirted with that kind of stuff.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Some bands even released their music through the communist party's record label Proletär Kultur (Proletariat Culture). The prog bands were mostly leftist activists with members being part of the flower power movement in Sweden in the 70's.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Got my TMR Shovels and Rope single :neckbeard:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wow, and it actually looks the way it's meant to! :v: Cool!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

if anyone digs Ghost (BC) you can pre-order Infesstisumam now.

http://www.myplaydirect.com/ghostbc/features/28167193?current_country=US

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Today I got in a copy of my friend's band's self titled album. They're Olde Growth from Boston, Mass. The front of the jacket.

The back. The album art is pretty awesome. The jacket is made out of recycled chipboard, so it isn't quite as sturdy as normal cardboard jackets, but it's sturdy enough.

One side of the liner notes. The band consists of two dudes, bass and drums only (well, vocals, too, but you know what I mean).

The other side. Hydro-Phonic made the vinyl.

The ol' vinyl itself, which is a cool marbled green. There's two versions, the green and the brown. Same price, but I went with the green because why not? Brown looks pretty great, too, and is reflected in the album art, with the green bits colored brown.

Side A.

Side B. My buddy designed the labels, though the album art is by another person.

If you like sludgy, stonery, doomy kind of metal in the same sort of vein as The Sword and Red Fang, check them out. This links to the self-titled, and there's also a new EP on there. If you end up liking them and actually want to buy the vinyl, you'll have to go to the Hydro-Phonics site and get it, since the band themselves are sold out.

http://oldegrowth.bandcamp.com/album/olde-growth

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
Well, I got paid, so I put my 45 bucks towards the Hardcore DEVO pack. Now to wait a month till it comes out :allears:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

I really like this, thanks. I ordered the green one off the label's site, but there's no mention of the immediate download like there is on the band's site. Is there a code in the sleeve like there sometimes is, or should I just e-mail them for one?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

realbez posted:

I really like this, thanks. I ordered the green one off the label's site, but there's no mention of the immediate download like there is on the band's site. Is there a code in the sleeve like there sometimes is, or should I just e-mail them for one?

Cool, glad you like them. Unfortunately, I think you only get the immediate download if you buy through the bandcamp page, which I think is a bandcamp thing rather than a specific band thing. I can ask my buddy about it, though, see if there's anything that can be done about it. I don't think Hydro-Phonic will be any help, since they just put out the vinyl edition.

P.S. Just to let you know, I received no email from Hydro-Phonic when my vinyl was shipped out, only an email when the order was received, and the order status part of their site never really updated beyond saying they got the payment. But your order, if it's like mine, should be shipped out about 3 business days after you order. And the vinyl in its sleeve was outside the jacket, however both were in a plastic storage sleeve and the whole thing was pretty well packaged in bubble tape, so it should arrive in good shape. Just a FYI.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok, thanks. I was going to e-mail the band through their bandcamp site with proof I bought it and ask if they would be happy to send me a code, but I'll wait to see what they tell you. Of course there isn't much difference between that and just downloading it from elsewhere, so they might just tell me to shove it :)

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

realbez posted:

Ok, thanks. I was going to e-mail the band through their bandcamp site with proof I bought it and ask if they would be happy to send me a code, but I'll wait to see what they tell you. Of course there isn't much difference between that and just downloading it from elsewhere, so they might just tell me to shove it :)

I got a download code from my buddy today, so I say when you get your vinyl in just send the band an email and they'll probably set you up. I'm listening to the vinyl right now (didn't get a chance to yesterday), and it sounds really good. I'm glad I picked it up.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Detective Thompson posted:

I got a download code from my buddy today, so I say when you get your vinyl in just send the band an email and they'll probably set you up. I'm listening to the vinyl right now (didn't get a chance to yesterday), and it sounds really good. I'm glad I picked it up.

I just e-mailed the band with the order confirmation info and Stephen got back to me really quickly with a download code. Its good that he did because I'm in Aus so waiting for the thing to arrive would suck. This is good poo poo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

realbez posted:

I just e-mailed the band with the order confirmation info and Stephen got back to me really quickly with a download code. Its good that he did because I'm in Aus so waiting for the thing to arrive would suck. This is good poo poo.

Cool, glad you got it no problem. Stephen's a cool dude. I didn't realize you were all the way down in Aussie land, so yeah, it wouldn't do to wait that long.

SandBox
Feb 16, 2004

Too right it does, it hates being in the cage
Pillbug
Heads up!
Christ. has listed a few of his albums on Bandcamp in Vinyl/Cd form.
Going quickly.

http://christmusic.bandcamp.com/merch

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Saw this at my local record store in the "Just In" section of used records.

I didn't buy it of course, but I found the sticky note amusing.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Way too excited to find a mint copy of this.

Finally I can fill my room with the sound of a mid 00's Starbucks.

On vinyl.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Not anything particularly rare, but one of my favs and I've been looking for as perfect a copy as I can find.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Didn't wake up with a headache? That's OK, we can fix that.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Picked up Daedelus' new EP at the Seattle show last Thursday. He was working the merch table before/during the show. I talked to him a bit, told him how much Of Snowdonia influenced me, and had him sign the record. He asked if there was anything I wanted to hear, and I requested Our Last Stand. The openers were playing mostly trap music, which I'm not much of a fan. When Daedelus finally got onstage he started playing trap music, too. I couldn't tell if they were remixes of his own songs over the bass and typical snare. I did hear the aforementioned song worked in as a sample in a trap remix version which was cool.

You can download it for free

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
My current self took my 16 year old's music preference and applied it to modern day. This format is weird, as it's 3 10" records, all translucent red. And say what you want, but for a 16 year old boy who really liked rock bands and electronic music, this soundtrack was awesome at the time:

It's worth mentioning that the person who created this soundtrack used the same technique for an earlier movie and soundtrack: Judgement Night. That time, they combined rock and rap (before that genre really appeared). What that means is that you got awesome things like Slayer and Ice-T, or my personal favorite, Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul. Listen to this song and try not to be happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rxsp82OvM

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Floodixor posted:

My current self took my 16 year old's music preference and applied it to modern day. This format is weird, as it's 3 10" records, all translucent red. And say what you want, but for a 16 year old boy who really liked rock bands and electronic music, this soundtrack was awesome at the time:

It's worth mentioning that the person who created this soundtrack used the same technique for an earlier movie and soundtrack: Judgement Night. That time, they combined rock and rap (before that genre really appeared). What that means is that you got awesome things like Slayer and Ice-T, or my personal favorite, Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul. Listen to this song and try not to be happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rxsp82OvM

Ha! I saw that yesterday, but no way was I spending 25 bucks on it. I also saw the Blade II soundtrack which had a similar gimmick but it was like Moby with Mystikal and Paul Oakenfold with Ice Cube.

I did get some nice stuff though. Here are the 7"s

Very happy to have one of my favorites for a reasonable price.

And another favorite (the instrumental pitched down like 30% is beautiful)

Beef Poet
Feb 17, 2011

I'll be visiting Vancouver in early May. Does anyone have suggestions for record stores I should check out?

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Beef Poet posted:

I'll be visiting Vancouver in early May. Does anyone have suggestions for record stores I should check out?

Audiopile, Zoo Zhop, Red Cat and Neptoon are my main ones. Zulu is also pretty rad but it's a bit more out of the way.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Beef Poet posted:

stay the gently caress away from Vinyl (the store)

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Ethan listed all the good ones. Avoid the store Dandelion which is down the road from Red Cat. The owner is kind of a dick and the prices are iffy.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't think it's been mentioned but the new Queens of the Stone Age record is up for preorder.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

Didn't someone sell some records to someone that turned out to be Henry Rollins a while back? I had my own brush with fame in used vinyl sales recently when Elijah Wood bought a couple Buffalo Daughter records off me for $15 on Discogs.com. Nothing caught my attention about it at the time until the woman at the post office asked me if it was the Elijah Wood.

Turns out it was. I guess he's a part-time DJ, so that's cool. Hopefully he enjoys spinnin' my records in Middle Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Mikael Åkerfeldt went record shopping in one of my local stores after Opeth's last show here in March, but I wasn't there :(

I am laughing at Elijah Wood ripping on 30 Seconds To Mars too. I thought Jared Leto might have been an OK dude :arghfist::downs: