Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

SoCal had a huge YugiOh scene, to the point where there were shops that catered exclusively to YugiOh. Pokemon tends to be more kids and kitchen table.

YugiOh is definitely as big as Magic here in Taiwan. Don't see a lot of people playing Pokemon but I'm sure there's some. YugiOh cards are sold all over the place though, every school I've taught at has had kids that showed up with cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There are ~40 people at our release event tonight but apparently Austin had a decent sized L5R scene right until the game died.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

PaybackJack posted:

YugiOh is definitely as big as Magic here in Taiwan. Don't see a lot of people playing Pokemon but I'm sure there's some. YugiOh cards are sold all over the place though, every school I've taught at has had kids that showed up with cards.

A guy I dated was from Taiwan and he said everyone played it there. He still had his cards even though he hadn't played in years.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PJOmega posted:

If it was selling well there shouldn't have been an issue of getting overly burned due to reasonable turnover. Plus those players should still buy remaining product, since a game going OOP doesn't stop it from being playable. AEG did that on it's own.

If it wasn't selling well then why have a large inventory?

Look, I get that most flgs owners are poo poo at almost everything that comes with owning a business. But raging out online because they couldn't forecast the collapse of a game long on life support is silly.

As someone who's run a game store (not the one in question) i can safely say you have no idea what you're talking about

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

One core L5R is real bad, one core Phoenix even more so

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

As someone who's run a game store (not the one in question) i can safely say you have no idea what you're talking about

Sorry it went under, I'm sure your attitude and knowledge had nothing to do with the past tense nature of your statement. Onto the ignore list with your rudeness.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Went to the release thing tonight - played some Crane and it was cool and good. Got some full art promos too!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
wow did they really make promos with no rules text for a game with 7 factions?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
EDIT: Doublepost

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I played L5R with the same group of people since Imperial Edition. We have played through some real garbage L5R formats (Spirit Wars, anyone?) but stuck with it.

Now they are all fence sitting about the new game and it's infuriating.

Same (Jesus Christ spirit wars) but we've pretty much all jumped back in. Played the release event last night which was my first time playing the new version. It's a pretty good game all in all I think. Plenty of design space for new stuff so I guess just to see how long it takes to FFG to mess it up.

Hooray for the return of everyone's faintly racist card game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just picked up the starter box last night and it looks really cool. My friends and I played the old Ccg for years, and the biggest thing to come out of this is that the story probably won't be nearly as stupid as AEGs.

That glorious time when Unicorn did everything important in the world (but the ratlings secretly helped!).

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I just picked up Arkham Horror because I needed something new to constantly vacuum my disposible income. I was going to get Lord of the Rings because I preferred the theme, but reading through this thread I thought it sounded like AH was the better and more active game (also newer so not as much catching up to do).

Is there are a reason there are so few games of this kind? Specifically co-operative ones. Both LotR and AH seem like they're popular and big successes... but that appears to be about it. I'd love something similar, but with more of a science fiction theme. Is it just because competitive versions are more popular so people will just go with them instead?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gravy Jones posted:

I just picked up Arkham Horror because I needed something new to constantly vacuum my disposible income. I was going to get Lord of the Rings because I preferred the theme, but reading through this thread I thought it sounded like AH was the better and more active game (also newer so not as much catching up to do).

Is there are a reason there are so few games of this kind? Specifically co-operative ones. Both LotR and AH seem like they're popular and big successes... but that appears to be about it. I'd love something similar, but with more of a science fiction theme. Is it just because competitive versions are more popular so people will just go with them instead?

Marvel Legendary TECHNICALLY is competitive, but since everyone loses if you fail to cooperate, most playgroups I know that play it only count the competitive part as a "oh hey, guess I won" at the end, rather than the focus of the game.

Ive also not played it, but i heard the Aliens version of Legendary is outstanding.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Marvel Legendary TECHNICALLY is competitive, but since everyone loses if you fail to cooperate, most playgroups I know that play it only count the competitive part as a "oh hey, guess I won" at the end, rather than the focus of the game.

Ive also not played it, but i heard the Aliens version of Legendary is outstanding.

Was more thinking of the pre-game deck-building and ongoing campaign style of the two FFG "living" games as opposed to the single scenarios and the in-game deck-building of stuff like Legendary (which we have, but I'm not a huge fan of). I guess it doesn't even need to be a campaign. I just like the slightly more structured narrative of these games. The narrative aspect of stuff like Legendary just seems arbitrary and random.

Edit: There may be more specific terminology that I don't know for some of this stuff

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think there are only really two co-op card games with deck customization because of the complexity of designing and maintaining such a thing. A cooperative board game is mostly one-and-done, so you don't have to account for future content when balancing your mechanics.

Co-op LCGs require the same sort of forward-thinking and pre-planning needed for competitive CCGs, since you're planning cards, sets, storylines, and new mechanics way in advance of their release and with the rest of the content in mind for balance.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Got to chat with an L5R playtester group last night, and the consensus was, unfortunately, that I should put Phoenix on the backburner until the end of the first cycle or so, since they're getting some good stuff in the next few packs but none of their themes are really going to come together until at least then.

I guess I'll switch to Lion or Scorpion splashing Dragon, since those decks are all really powerful at the moment. Lion's Pride Brawler really is that good, but I like playing with i Can Swim a whole lot.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I've started an All things L5R (with the RPG, the LCG, the Board Game, the Flamethrower.. (kids'll love dis.).. a free Fozzie No-Poin to any one who gets that reference) thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836660&pagenumber=1

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Got to chat with an L5R playtester group last night, and the consensus was, unfortunately, that I should put Phoenix on the backburner until the end of the first cycle or so, since they're getting some good stuff in the next few packs but none of their themes are really going to come together until at least then.

I guess I'll switch to Lion or Scorpion splashing Dragon, since those decks are all really powerful at the moment. Lion's Pride Brawler really is that good, but I like playing with i Can Swim a whole lot.

A thing to consider is that FFG designs each cycle as a complete block. So themes introduced in the first pack of a cycle will often be missing key cards until the 5th or even 6th cycle is released.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

FFG announces discontinuation of "Utz! Banzai!" chant.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/6/the-path-of-honor-and-steel/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
this image is titled generic_prizes.png on their site. Accurate. :lol:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Bottom Liner posted:

this image is titled generic_prizes.png on their site. Accurate. :lol:

It's like the CN,ST of nerd cards. I want one.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Actually was really disappointed playing the launch event. It seems like almost every game went to time and the tiebreak rules definitely favor Crane/Scorpion/kinda Phoenix.

For now I'm going to wait on investing into L5R until Worlds happens and we know what percentage of games actually finished. It really does seem like its structure of long games with few rounds is not really well-suited for competitive play. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

hito posted:

Actually was really disappointed playing the launch event. It seems like almost every game went to time and the tiebreak rules definitely favor Crane/Scorpion/kinda Phoenix.

For now I'm going to wait on investing into L5R until Worlds happens and we know what percentage of games actually finished. It really does seem like its structure of long games with few rounds is not really well-suited for competitive play. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Just reading the rules I was reminded of the Game of Thrones slogs. It'd be cool if FFG put out an LCG that played like a card game instead of a board game with cards, but for that they'd have to get over their unholy fetish-level obsession with tokens of all shapes and sizes.

I still want to try it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Destiny is just that: a super fast dueling card game (maybe too fast, thanks to poor design forethought). It just happens to be a lovely collectible business model with new sets coming out too fast.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Destiny is just that: a super fast dueling card game (maybe too fast, thanks to poor design forethought). It just happens to be a lovely collectible business model with new sets coming out too fast.

I didn't want to bring it up because I'll just keep mentioning how disappointed I am that I have no one to play with because I bought everyone's collections when they quit. I think they do show signs of slowing down on the action cheating though, so that's good. Are new sets coming out too fast, or does it just feel that way because they're following the LCG model of having an unending preview season?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

BJPaskoff posted:

Just reading the rules I was reminded of the Game of Thrones slogs. It'd be cool if FFG put out an LCG that played like a card game instead of a board game with cards, but for that they'd have to get over their unholy fetish-level obsession with tokens of all shapes and sizes.

I still want to try it.

GoT is based largely on the CCG version that they didn't even design. Not sure where you're getting the board game thing. And it also has a lot less of a slog than the constant midrange vs. midrange poo poo MtG seemed to want to put out recently, for instance.

I'd actually argue that GoT would be improved with a more midrange-style deck. As it is everything seems to be evolving towards rush strats or super-control stuff. I still think they need to start looking into a restricted list like in 1.0, but I don't think that's a very popular view.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

hito posted:

The game's a bit quicker with 3 core decks (and, depending on how involved your play base ws, with people who know the game better). I will say a big issue throughout the playtest though was game length. Especially early on where games would take forever yet you never felt like you were doing much. I still think they should've went with a model closer to that of the original game for combat (battles at each province, as well as province loss when you lose a battle).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think games are going to speed up significantly once people have been playing a bit. It took everyone at our launch event forever to check the list of what each ring does and figure out which one is the best one to pick for a given conflict, 4 times a turn, for example. I also think it'll be better once card quality improves some and you're not trying to take provinces with a Seppun Guardsman or whatever.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm playing Single Core for the first time tomorrow and I know I'm going to take some time during the Dynasty Phase. I can goldfish a start as much as I can, but this is a game where I need to know what my opponent is doing. I expect the Conflict Phase will be easier.

Thrones was easy during Marshalling, but Challenges took a bit to get my mind thinking in three different directions. In L5R you can tank your game in Dynasty if you aren't careful, but we'll get used to it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Card quality might help some, but I would imagine at least part of those time gains are going to be lost when the card pool broadens and it's necessary to get strict passes for every single action window instead of being able to mush them together. And of course that's assuming the better cards help attackers more than defenders.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't want to bring it up because I'll just keep mentioning how disappointed I am that I have no one to play with because I bought everyone's collections when they quit. I think they do show signs of slowing down on the action cheating though, so that's good. Are new sets coming out too fast, or does it just feel that way because they're following the LCG model of having an unending preview season?

That's lovely, sorry to hear that. Our local scene is growing slowly, though I really think they shot themselves in the foot with the early distribution issues. Its taking a lot to get people back into it if they gave up in frustration earlier. I've also had people tell me they got tired of the meta, but I think there's only so much you can expect from a card pool of like 175 initially or ~330 until recently. That at least solves itself over time assuming they don't do something colossally dumb with regard to set rotation.

It's also a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that of course rainbow 9s and funkar will win every event if those are the only decks being played to begin with. I'm guilty of it myself, but I think in a way the current position of destinydb etc. stunts the growth of the meta because a lot of players wont put the time or critical thought in to trying to beat the meta, they'll just copy the 'best' deck card for card without understanding the context etc. that put it there. Rambling now, so whatever.

I don't think sets are coming too quickly per se, I wish the competitive scene were bigger so I could get in more games, playtesting etc. in a given format though. I suppose that perception is a symptom of the preview season as you mentioned. As I mentioned above, I've heard some local players complaining about the 'stale' meta, but some of those same immediately turned around and complained about legacies when it was announced the other day, saying they couldn't afford it at this rate even though its months away still. These same players also buy a case of each new set, but I guess cutting back doesn't occur to them.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Everyone is saying 3 core sets will change everything. I hope it's a fault of the one core and not the game itself.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I still want to try it.

This is my biggest gripe as well, why cant i just pick up a deckbox and go to my lgs to play. So sick of gaming clutter.

As another poster mentioned, hopefully worlds will show us that this game can have a fun competitive scene. Everything's more fun with something on the line.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

vandalism posted:

Everyone is saying 3 core sets will change everything. I hope it's a fault of the one core and not the game itself.

It is. If I ever see Seppun Guardsman or Otomo Courtier again, it will be too soon.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

It is. If I ever see Seppun Guardsman or Otomo Courtier again, it will be too soon.

**builds a deck with 9x Seppun Guardsman, Otomo Courtier, and Miya Mystic**

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I mean, at least Miya Mystic is (overcosted, bad) attachment removal

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

As a Scorpion Player: I like Miya Mystic. Not a great card, but at times more useful than a lot of our other stuff.

Also I can't wait until we can stop even talking about '1 Core'. I know what it says in the rulebook. I know there are tournaments for it.
...but it's not a thing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I gotta admit, i'm normally rolling my eyes at complaints about needing multiple cores for LCGs. But the fact that L5R doesn't even make two "1 core" decks out of a single box is kinda ridiculous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Thrones couldn't even make one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Honestly Seppun Guardsman and Otomo Courtier are quite strong cards, I run them even in a lot of my three-core decks.