Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Well, they pretty much recycled everything for Bravely Second so at least they got their money's worth.

So did I, that game was hella fun.

Also, the art is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

NX LURKS IN THE DARKNESS...
In the small country of Japan there is a legend which says that every 5 years or so the forces of Good mysteriously become weak and the forces of Evil gain a foothold into our world. The good manifests itself in the form of one of the most beloved characters to roam the earth--Waluigi.

Every 5 or so years Waluigi is revived and grows stronger and stronger. His goal is to reveal the true form of Nintendo's next console to the masses. He has appeared in this world many times, and there are many people who fear that he may never reveal the true form of the NX.

There is one group that has always been around to see that Waluigi returns, the Nintendo family of games. For generations Nintendo have passed along the secrets and skills of Waluigi-hunting to the eldest child of the family. While many Nintendo executives have lived peaceful lives without encountering Waluigi, they remain prepared. There are occasional skirmishes with lesser games, but the Nintendo clan has always emerged victorious.

Now, 5 years or so have passed since the last console reveal. Japanese citizens are reporting mysterious sightings of odd creatures appearing under cover of the darkness. As Spring approaches, the citizens prepare for a traditional celebration.

Unbeknownst to them, an evil group of people is holding a ceremony in the old destroyed abbey outside of town, attempting to revive Waluigi for themselves. As they carry out their ritual a dark cloud descends over the countryside. The sinister group stirs itself into a frenzy of mysterious chanting and pagan dancing, then lightning strikes the abbey. The ground bucks under their feet, and the abbey walls shudder. Once again, Waluigi is revived!

It is time once again for Reggie to call forth the powers of good to aid him in his battle. Armed with a Big New Yorker, his courage and the centuries-old knowledge of Nintendo Family Stadium training, he sets forth on his mission...

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

raditts posted:

Now think of it from the mindset of the manchildren who complained that three separate full-length Fire Emblem games came out at the same time because "you have to pay $100 to get the 'full game'."

Well, I don't know much anything about Fire Emblem, but maybe I can understand a little if people got confused about the release? If they are all different games with different (but maybe continuous? idk) stories, normally we don't get 3 installments like that all at once for initial release. Like explaining to people that shows on Netflix or w/e can release all their episodes at the same time, which was weird to me at first too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ventana posted:

Well, I don't know much anything about Fire Emblem, but maybe I can understand a little if people got confused about the release? If they are all different games with different (but maybe continuous? idk) stories, normally we don't get 3 installments like that all at once for initial release. Like explaining to people that shows on Netflix or w/e can release all their episodes at the same time, which was weird to me at first too.

the first third or so of each one is the same. after that its different story and different levels. making an srpg level isn't too complicated though, its just tiles and enemies for the most part, but the campaigns are all pretty different

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They have the tutorial in common. The stories involve the same characters. The multiplayer is fully interoperable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

Thank you for your question... Kenneth. I take it you're a WiiU owner? That's really a fantastic, under rated system. It's amazing what they've accomplished running almost independently from third party developers. I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing the NX.

Now I understand there's a lot of anger over squaresoft leaving Nintendo for Sony in the mid nineties, and I get that. I really do. But when it comes to those kind of hardware decisions, Shigeru Miyamoto simply isn't involved. He's more of a software and controls guy. Genya Takeda is likely more responsible for making the cartridge format, under the direction of

Time, secretary

Under the direction of Hiroshi Yamauchi, who had been soured on discs thanks to some business deals with Sony and Phillips going poorly. And I just want to add that

Secretary Clinton you are out of time

I just want to add that perhaps Yamauchi will be redeemed if the rumors of the NX using cartridges

We have to move on secretary

If those rumors are true. Thankyou.

Mr. Trump, your response?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ventana posted:

More along the lines of Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons (two different games, one overarching story) rather than Pokemon (same game, different flavors) or, I don't know, SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1&2 (one huge game split into two installments). You could just opt into getting the third game though, in which all the characters are recruitable, if you are mad about mutually exclusie anemone waifus.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

somebody just leak the drat thing already!!!

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

The Nintendo NX 's most essential feature has finally been revealed to be the resurgence of the Wii's cancelled Vitality Sensor. With the release of the peripheral after several years in development Nintendo is trying once again to capture the hearts and minds of the casual gamer crowd they succesfully lured with the Wii. Placing emphasis on a "chill" gaming experience the NX automatically pauses the game if it detects the "gamer's" heart rate to rise above 90 - a number scientifically proven to be the limit that when exceeded permanent damage is inflicted to the heart tissue. The game is allowed to resume only when the user's heart rate drops to safe levels again, ensuring that the experience is as mellow and relaxing as possible even when playing the most heated "first person shooter". When reached for a comment Nintendo of America spokesperson and operating officer Reginald "Reggie" Fils-Aimé assured that

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Household game consoles Wii U and 3DS were created by master console designer, Nintendo, and were enjoying their peaceful days. Then one day, the hardcore consoles all over the world went on a rampage and the world fell into chaos. Nintendo quickly realized that mad console designer, Sony, was behind the nefarious deed but they didn't know what to do. Wii U, having a strong sense of justice, volunteered to be converted into a hybrid console. Thus the super console NX was born. NX shattered Sony's plans three times and world peace has been maintained so far... but history repeats itself. Microsoft, a mysterious developer, has invented One powerful console and sent them after NX. NX starts for the battle again, this time equipped with the powerful new Touch Controller!!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't have an NX but I do have the new Boo amiibo. It glows in the dark.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

same

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I, too, glow in the dark

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I don't have an NX but I do have the new Boo amiibo. It glows in the dark.

Those don't come out until next month

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
where did you get the glow in the dark amiibo

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I hope the new sonic game on the nX is a lot of fun

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Rexroom posted:

The question is, are video games worth saving?

"no," says the woman on an internet forum, "they belong in a dumpster"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunno where else to put it but can I get some help with a colorless spot in Toads Trainworks? Literally as soon as you enter the main building it's ontop of a crate and I have no idea how to get to it. I fixed the train but I still got nothin.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

raditts posted:

Well, they pretty much recycled everything for Bravely Second so at least they got their money's worth.

Maybe Bravely Third will be on the NX, then I can finally see the art. Maybe.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SylvainMustach posted:

I hope the new sonic game on the nX is a lot of fun

Actually it's Nx, like an Rx, only for Nintendo games.

"Dr. Mario, I feel sick."

"It's a bad case of Halotosis." *hands you some Nx cartridges* "Play two and call me in the morning."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

Maybe Bravely Third will be on the NX, then I can finally see the art. Maybe.

I hope it is, but I don't think it will be called that.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Did the "Bravely" series sell well outside of Japan? I just can't wrap my head around someone deciding to publish and market it with that name in english-speaking regions. I don't think it's possible to have a more oblique, engrish phrase as the title of your game.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

i wonder if off tv play is gonna have a msaa option that will look like the downscaled console graphics if you're within range of the console but playing offtv

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

coffeecup posted:

Did the "Bravely" series sell well outside of Japan? I just can't wrap my head around someone deciding to publish and market it with that name in english-speaking regions. I don't think it's possible to have a more oblique, engrish phrase as the title of your game.

Square had a freakout because both the first game and Lightning Returns came out the same month and BD sold better in the US. People are thirsty for classic FF.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The 3DS has now like 12 Miku themes and currently even their own category for some of those. The NX better have themes is what I'm saying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dunno where else to put it but can I get some help with a colorless spot in Toads Trainworks? Literally as soon as you enter the main building it's ontop of a crate and I have no idea how to get to it. I fixed the train but I still got nothin.

Get on the handcart and keep going forward til you get where you need.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

Square had a freakout because both the first game and Lightning Returns came out the same month and BD sold better in the US. People are thirsty for classic FF.

This. Also "Legend of Legacy" has a more lame engrish name and also it sucked.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

coffeecup posted:

Well, 'to bravely default' and 'to bravely second' are both legit, if odd, uses, and they're used that way in the games. There's also other in-game reasons for them having those kinda weird names, but those would be... spoilers? Kind of? In some cases?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I can't believe loss.jpeg is over 8 years old

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/785419631632654336

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

Well, 'to bravely default' and 'to bravely second' are both legit, if odd, uses, and they're used that way in the games. There's also other in-game reasons for them having those kinda weird names, but those would be... spoilers? Kind of? In some cases?

They both describe mechanics that you get early on in the first game.

To "Brave" is to opt to move more than once a turn with the understanding that you are sacrificing future moves.
To "Default" is to choose not to move at all in order to save up your turns for future turns.
"Bravely Second" is freezing time to take a move no matter where in the turn cycle it is and ignore the damage cap in the process.

Bravely Second also has a bizarre in-game meaning in the second game, but we don't need to get into that.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
should be mario riding yoshi riding a horse

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

caldrax posted:

should be mario riding yoshi riding a horse

That's illegal in most of the states.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's illegal in most of the states.

But not the southern ones :getin:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phantasium posted:

Square had customer survey a couple of years ago and in the comment section I wrote something to the effect of "You should publish more games like Bravely Default because Atlus is eating your RPG lunch."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

DalaranJ posted:

Square had customer survey a couple of years ago and in the comment section I wrote something to the effect of "You should publish more games like Bravely Default because Atlus is eating your RPG lunch."

Too bad Setsuna was kinda meh.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Too bad Setsuna was kinda meh.

the art was pretty
and the mixage of 2d and 3d was clever and subtle
and some of those MONO PIANO tracks are great, i use a setsuna theme on my ps4
but then you get SLAMMING ON THE PIANO danger music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Nlo56FKOU

and maybe if they had bothered to write a single character
or made more then 2 tilesets

it was marketed to hell and back as "chrono trigger" but its more like final fantasy 2
everyone you meet is evil or going to nobly sacrifice themselves in 10sec and your party members have the personality differentiation of golden sun characters (the differentiation is which portrait art comes up beside the textbox)

youcallthatatwist posted:

oh my god this song is amazing??? "okay composer, for this next piece, please just bash your head repeatedly against the keyboard. I don't know. who cares"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-yvZIbar50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlJd1vuvrPs

same soundtrack :confused: some-how :confused: :smith:

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 11, 2016

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

zolthorg posted:

but then you get SLAMMING ON THE PIANO danger music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Nlo56FKOU

oh my god this song is amazing??? "okay composer, for this next piece, please just bash your head repeatedly against the keyboard. I don't know. who cares"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/gigideegee/status/785742922171817984

on topic: nx launch day release confirmed

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread