Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

Flight stands used to be two to a sprue - one long, one short, and you would get one set of 2 per model. I don't think that's probably changed.

Great. In the starter you only get the 5 sets of 2 for 9 planes. Means I can set aside 3 or so for painting and they'll be replaced soon enough.

For everyone who said the starter accessories were disappointing, heads up - I ordered the token sheets (mainly to bulk out an order to get free shipping on the realmslayer script book) and those ones are loving worse than cereal card. They might as well have been printed on paper.

The starter set tokens are great, its just a shame you probably need a second set or some third party ones if you want bigger games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah I just opened my set to confirm, and you are correct, there's only 10 stands in there. I forgot they changed the style, so they probably changed the quantity as well.

And I agree with you, the direct only tokens are terrible. They're relatively inexpensive, but they're just not good quality. It's almost like they switched the two - the box set should have had the cheap tokens and cheap map.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I have 4 stands in my box of thunderbolts, I wouldn't count on there being extras.

E: I'm wrong, found another 4 between the sprues. So yes you will likely have extras.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Sweet. Won't ever need more than 3 or so for painting, so i'm golden.

I mean, i'll eventually have more planes than can be fielded in a battle I imagine. But its still nice.

Built the Marauders now. Only took 5 minutes to find the turret piece I accidentally dropped on the floor and i'm calling that a win. I love these models.

Deciding on a scheme for my imperials at the moment, and also debating making the radar lines on the base different for each faction (Imperial Blue, Ork Green, Tau Orange, Chaos Red, Eldar...Purple? Necron Silver?) or just doing green.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've decided that I'm going to resurrect an old paint scheme for my Crimson Skies tabletop squadron and use it for my Imperial planes, I haven't decided on Da Orkz yet.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Crimson Skies owned and these planes also own. I should get started on them today.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Strobe posted:

Crimson Skies owned and these planes also own. I should get started on them today.

I loving love Crimson Skies, both the two miniatures games and the two videogames. The whole universe ruled and the novels and short stories were great. I'd kill for microsoft to resurrect that IP now that they own it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
RIP Comprehensive Rulebook, BTW.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

gently caress. I can't say I'm surprised, but that was legit the best resource in the tangled mess of necromunda releases.

Maybe GW has a similar all-in-one rulebook planned? (Lol no, of course not.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Maybe GW has a similar all-in-one rulebook planned? (Lol no, of course not.)

They just did this like a year ago, pretty much? Pay no attention to the Book of Judgment and the Book of Peril.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Big thanks to the crappy customer service at the LGS, helped me not to impulse buy the AI box!

(only being slightly sarcastic, I really didn't need to spend that money, and I didn't!)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Failson posted:

Big thanks to the crappy customer service at the LGS, helped me not to impulse buy the AI box!

(only being slightly sarcastic, I really didn't need to spend that money, and I didn't!)

Redshirts so desperate, they're going for goons now?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Just varnished my Dakkajets (went for gloss and am going to matt them down since the models will be handled more than properly based miniatures). I love the AI models - small and yet full of detail (and most of it being fairly simple to paint. We'll see if that holds up for the other planes).

Just gotta wait for more primer for the rest of the set, might paint some more of the bases.

I also emailed GW about the godawful tokens I received. I don't expect much to come out of it but they have to know that paper thin tokens are completely unsuitable.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The next box set’s tokens are the same thickness, but made of glass.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

The next box set’s tokens are the same thickness, but made of glass.

More usable yet also more dangerous.

Edgy with a hint of the sublime.

Modern art.

Personally i'd just like some copies of the tokens that came with the box, like the webstore advertised - but i'm weird that way.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

MrFlibble posted:

More usable yet also more dangerous.

Edgy with a hint of the sublime.

Modern art.

Personally i'd just like some copies of the tokens that came with the box, like the webstore advertised - but i'm weird that way.

Jewel like objects of wonder

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

I also emailed GW about the godawful tokens I received. I don't expect much to come out of it but they have to know that paper thin tokens are completely unsuitable.
Please update when you hear back from them. These tokens are trash, and I'm really not happy with them at all either.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is the Rynn's World book, a card pack and of course plane kits enough to play the game? I don't really want the the ork planes and I'm good on dice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You'd want something to act as numbered tokens for manouvers (you can scan them from the back of the book if you want), and ground objectives for some of the Rynn's missions.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Sounds like getting some third party to make your tokens for you out of acrylic or something will be the way to go.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You'd want something to act as numbered tokens for manouvers (you can scan them from the back of the book if you want), and ground objectives for some of the Rynn's missions.

Might need a hex map as well.

Got a reply about my tokens - they are as designed. If you're not happy then you can return them and ask for a refund. About what I expected.

EDIT: For anyone else painting their AI bases - my test base holds its flight stand better than unpainted - so I would advise painting and varnishing the centre hole (obviously do not paint and varnish the dials).

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 20, 2019

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's some screenshots from the lizardmen stream today.

They mentioned that they're aware that lizardmen have fewer star player options than other teams (they've usually been aiming for about 10 each). This is because they will overlap a bit with the eventual Amazon and even Norse teams and they didn't want to steal their thunder or reveal anything that far out. That kind of sucks, but whatever. The three/four lizardmen players (depending on how you count the skinks) cover things fairly well alongside the other guys. Andy Hoare also teased that the zoat should be coming sooner rather than later.

Also, me irl

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I dig that positional. 10K over a Skink for Shadowing alone is pretty good.

Did they say whether the Krox is gonna be GW or FW? Or are they doing a Treeman and just not gonna release one (I'm not bitter).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The made-to-order one is meant only as a placeholder. They mentioned they will eventually get around to doing one, hopefully in plastic, but probably in resin. That makes it sound like they don't have one sculpted yet and considering that we still don't have a generic treeman model, it'll probably be a while. They're also currently hiring an additional sculptor.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

loving "Glotl Stop" lmao

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Also 'Anqi Panqi'. GW just can't help but use Lizardmen for pun names.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just the fact they are saying Norse and Amazon's will get releases is a great thing, frankly. Norse rule.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think modern GW BB design releases of Norse and Amazons will look amazing.

And they’ll make for brilliant kitbashing fodder.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Also 'Anqi Panqi'. GW just can't help but use Lizardmen for pun names.
Andy Hoare confirmed that stupid pun names are a core part of Warhammer lizardmen, but that they might not actually understand their very serious names are puns in other languages.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just the fact they are saying Norse and Amazon's will get releases is a great thing, frankly. Norse rule.
Norse are the one team that could pull me away from my lizards. :swoon: Goddamn, they're fun to play.

There was a lot of talk on the stream about how they're essentially 2/3 through the existing teams by now. That's designed though, not released. Considering there are like 24 blood bowl teams in total, that's pretty good. There was also some talk about chaos dwarfs, even a discussion about whether they'd go with the newer FW look or the classic Big Hats.

Big Hats

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Looks like Barnes and Noble is also coming out with expansion boxes for Blitz Bowl, which are half teams plus the cards for $20. 'Flings, Undead, Chaos, and Skaven so far.

Also finished up my spookybois just in time to preorder lizzies.

spacegoat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 5, 2019

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
It's a sign Blitz Bowl is being actively worked on to cover the other plastic teams.

Which indicates they are doing something with it. Likely means Nurgle and Lizards are on the way.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

spacegoat posted:

Looks like Barnes and Noble is also coming out with expansion boxes for Blitz Bowl, which are half teams plus the cards for $20. 'Flings, Undead, Chaos, and Skaven so far.

Also finished up my spookybois just in time to preorder lizzies.

woah, that totally slipped under the radar. awesome news since the undead team didnt have blitzbowl stats

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
A friend has bought into BB recently, and with other players threatening to join and form a league I preorderd the Lizardmen bundle and some extra dice. Gonna be running two simultaneous games soon, feels good to finally get a for reals Blood Bowl group up and running.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I've had two boxes of Orlocks since they came out and I built eight or so straight out of the box before shelving the rest to wait for the weapons packs. When those dropped, I grabbed two of each and never got around to them. Then I picked up the heads back in February at LVO and never got around to them. This past week, I got around to them.
:shepface:

Leader and champions

Additional champions

Gangers/mooks

Juves

The weapons packs opened up so many options and I've still got tons of bits left over for eventual alternate champion builds, etc. I can't recommend them enough, but I've got a ton of bolt pistols and two-handed hammers I don't know what to do with. The heads are also a great addition to the range and let me make every model unique. To mark my juves out from the rest of the gang, I left off the standard Orlock shoulder pads and gap-filled/sculpted the vest and shirt as needed. Otherwise, they'd look identical to the gangers and I really would like some alternate models down the line. Even if they're resin. On a similar note, I would like some alternate women models down the line too. Orlocks, from what I can tell, are supposed to be open to mixed gangs and there's existing art of Orlock women in the books. It would be nice to be able to represent that. This kit was done earlier in the release schedule (they may have originally been planned for the starter set before being swapped out if memory serves) and may have been done before the decision was made to diversify the gangs a bit. The boys are just too samey even with the extra heads.

Anyway, I've got a bunch of names ready to go for these guys, but I don't have a gang name nor a color scheme. I'm not too big a fan of the blueish grey GW uses for their display models and looking for alternate schemes online has been fruitless so far. Unfortunately, these guys aren't likely to be painted any time soon, I've got plenty to do for 30k before the end of the year, so I've got time to figure those out. The semi-primed juve was meant to be a color tester, but I never got around to it. :v:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 7, 2019

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Great looking models! The weapon packs look really good. There are so many good/cool weapon loadouts in the game, I feel like you could easily make 20 future champion models.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

On a similar note, I would like some alternate women models down the line too. Orlocks, from what I can tell, are supposed to be open to mixed gangs and there's existing art of Orlock women in the books. It would be nice to be able to represent that. This kit was done earlier in the release schedule (they may have originally been planned for the starter set before being swapped out if memory serves) and may have been done before the decision was made to diversify the gangs a bit. The boys are just too samey even with the extra heads.

I agree, although within the constraints that GW have set for themselves I don’t see it being done satisfactorily. The Van Saar kit has a single female body with no poseability* and that is unable to share parts with the other bodies (even the arms are different although the size difference is minor so can pretty safely be ignored.) In my opinion the inclusion of such a token character in that kit only served to make it worse. It would require at least a couple of female bodies to offer some flexibility in building them.

Cawdor seemed to roll back to no women, although it’s possible that the scrawny and malnourished look they have going on is unisex. Then Delaque appears to include another token single female body (frankly I haven’t looked very hard at the Delaque kit and it’s options as I really dislike the minis.)

Basically when the releases for this game are tied into a single half sprue for each gang, you won’t get anything more than tokenism. Forge World may be able to compensate for this but doesn’t seem to be embracing the idea of making alternate bodies for the core gang members yet.

* The Male bodies in the Van Saar kit offer a surprising amount of flexibility despite the torso and legs being fixed. Being able to switch the neck pieces around means that you can change the direction that the face is looking, and that combined with switching arms and weapons allows for a big range of effective poses.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Forge World seems to be inclined to base NM releases on random dice rolls.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

JcDent posted:

Forge World seems to be inclined to base NM releases on random dice rolls.

It's definitely a series of nested D66 charts at work.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
My friend took some pictures for me - My Iron Golems:

My Dakkajets

Might actually get round to playing some AI after I finish varnishing the imperial bases and painting the other planes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Very cool stuff. I’m excited to get round to my Iron Golems.