Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Dalael posted:

I can understand how people get scammed. Its not a new phenomenon and it happens all the time even in real life.
What I don't understand is people who keep doubling down.

There has to be a point where you realize you're being scammed (or probably being scammed). At that point, so many people decide to double down and keep on giving... Why?

That also happens all the time in real life. People get scammed, and then realize it. That's no the end for the scam. Next is a call from the "police" in the jurisdiction where the scammer is located. They've located the scammer and the stolen assets, and want to return them to the scamee! As soon as the police receive a wire transfer representing a bond to cover tax liability for transferring the funds out of the country, they'll return them. And the bond is fully refundable in 30 days. It's guaranteed by the government. Now hurry up, there were other victims and only half the money stolen was recovered.

Credulous people are credulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
You taking his skill points is just the biggest :psyduck:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

raminasi posted:

You taking his skill points is just the biggest :psyduck:

I'd drop the isk on some newbees and retire at that point tbh

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Globby bonus room'd a guy without the bonus room. Over chat. That's it, shut it down, scamming is over.

Carth Dookie posted:

There are just people out there predisposed to give all their poo poo away to a complete stranger on the flimsiest of reasons. While I've never pulled scams as big as globby has, some of my earliest memories in Goonswarm are of recruitment scamming people who'd been playing for many years more than I had out of their stuff.

There's a bunch of people in the game who have played for years with almost no personal contact. Their history is in and out on highsec corps that go nowhere and don't do things together. They're probably in a corp that's just their alts. They're the ultimate marks because a long conversation with a real person that is paying attention to them and talks to them for hours is a first. That's what they've always been missing.

That's why I don't scam anymore, and only scammed a couple times* early on. It's too goddamn depressing to interact with these people and realize what sad-sacks they are. I just can't stand talking to them.

*the first time I scammed someone, it was a literal fish jumping into the boat. I was moving some cruisers to the edge of highsec near the drone lands, when we were invading IRC way back when. a guy convo'd me out of the blue asking how to get into goonfleet. because he'd seen me, a random stupid newbee, in local.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
yeah no it's super exhausting, and afterwards you feel so bad when the guys hit you with the "can i still be your friend" poo poo

i have him 4 injectors and let him join CODE and told him he can help us scam more people in the future, in true CODE fashion

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

yeah no it's super exhausting, and afterwards you feel so bad when the guys hit you with the "can i still be your friend" poo poo

That's just so :smith:

Scamming is funny most of the time, but that poo poo is sad as hell.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
loving outstanding globby.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
CCP Guard is leaving. :saddowns:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ynglaur posted:

he can see the state of the game

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Somebody scammed his alt for 300B

Cloudspit
Mar 8, 2009
Joined Goons through Bovril. Good to be back.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cloudspit posted:

Why would you do that to yourself

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he can see the state of the game

Well now he can, the player count finally got low enough he could

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Do they still do the thing were they will move your dumb rear end to low sec if you logged out in a dread at some POS years ago if you ask real nice?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ynglaur posted:

the circus must be in town lol

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

ded posted:

Do they still do the thing were they will move your dumb rear end to low sec if you logged out in a dread at some POS years ago if you ask real nice?

Only ships without jumpdrives and no freighters.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Morkfang posted:

Only ships without jumpdrives and no freighters.

Ah found an actual article about that.

Can an alpha clone jump a dread?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ded posted:

Ah found an actual article about that.

Can an alpha clone jump a dread?

Nope.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
lmbo

So they hold your character hostage till you pay or just suicide.

:gary:

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

I mean you put it there.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

lmbo

So they hold your character hostage till you pay or just suicide.

:gary:

Get another goon to jump the dread for you. Just eject from the ship and have them climb in and jump it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cloudspit posted:

You poor bastard.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Cloudspit posted:

yikes

Crap Tastic
May 15, 2018

The people who fall for these over the top scams must have some kind of mental illness, whether it's Autism or otherwise. They're missing the ability to tell people "NO". It's incredibly sad and entertaining at the same time, like watching an episode of Hoarders.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Crap Tastic posted:

The people who fall for these over the top scams must have some kind of mental illness, whether it's Autism or otherwise. They're missing the ability to tell people "NO". It's incredibly sad and entertaining at the same time, like watching an episode of Hoarders.

It's because theyre lonely and will do anything to make friends, OP

speaking of which, tell your mum i said hello

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Crap Tastic posted:

nah the guy i scammed isn't mentally ill or autistic

in fact most* (all) aren't, you're totally downplaying the sunk cost fallacy.

*unless you consider being western european a mental illness

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Scamming had least to do with finding dumb or disabled people and more to do with people who want it to be true so badly that they ignore the possibility that its a scam

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Pomp posted:

Scamming had least to do with finding dumb or disabled people and more to do with people who want it to be true so badly that they ignore the possibility that its a scam

This. I used to see how far people online were willing to go to believe something that was obviously a lie, and people will go to some absurd lengths for it.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

What you go for is to get them invested enough plausibly that they're content with risking that little bit more, and then content with that little bit more, and then that liiiitle bit more, and then they get to the point of "Well I've lost almost everything at this point, might as well go all in because I'm quitting the game if it's a scam anyway."

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
So I'm currently in a corp that's just me and a couple friends. If I want to join Goonwaffe, can I drop to an NPC corp and then join, or do you still need to do the prepare to leave corp -> wait 24 hours -> get invite thing?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Telyra posted:

So I'm currently in a corp that's just me and a couple friends. If I want to join Goonwaffe, can I drop to an NPC corp and then join, or do you still need to do the prepare to leave corp -> wait 24 hours -> get invite thing?

Depends if you have roles

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Telyra posted:

spai

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Telyra posted:

Drop to NPC corp and join is the best way with the least hassle.

24 hour wait to leave corp is only needed if you have roles -- but you probably have roles in a friend corp (ex hangar access). So you should open the corporation screen, go to home -> details, and hit the button that says "Prepare to Quit Corp" if it's there.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I was in Karamafleet back in 2015 and stopped playing video games for a while and only recently logged back in to eve just so see whats new and because I can do so for free. Of course everything i owned was scattered around branch/dek and i guess even delve at some point. So I guess now all my assets are scattered all over the galaxy in low-sec and I have no way of knowing or remembering what wraps contain what. This is probably a fairly common situation for null sec dwellers, but is there a recommended approach to selling or consolidating assets from this point, or is my best bet to just shuttle around and firesell my crap through contracts at a loss to just get rid of them? Also ive got around 55m SP so was thinking about renewing my sub, but was wondering if there's any substantially new content out in the last 3-4 years worth checking out?

I feel really dumb for selling all my PLEX for 1B before I logged out for the last time in 2015. Truly I am terrible. Do people actually make enough money ratting anymore to plex their accounts? Seems impossible now unless they greatly changed how much you can get from ratting

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I was in Karamafleet back in 2015 and stopped playing video games for a while and only recently logged back in to eve just so see whats new and because I can do so for free. Of course everything i owned was scattered around branch/dek and i guess even delve at some point. So I guess now all my assets are scattered all over the galaxy in low-sec and I have no way of knowing or remembering what wraps contain what. This is probably a fairly common situation for null sec dwellers, but is there a recommended approach to selling or consolidating assets from this point, or is my best bet to just shuttle around and firesell my crap through contracts at a loss to just get rid of them? Also ive got around 55m SP so was thinking about renewing my sub, but was wondering if there's any substantially new content out in the last 3-4 years worth checking out?

I feel really dumb for selling all my PLEX for 1B before I logged out for the last time in 2015. Truly I am terrible. Do people actually make enough money ratting anymore to plex their accounts? Seems impossible now unless they greatly changed how much you can get from ratting

Short answer: Yes.

Come to Delve, the land of Goons and Honey.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Telyra posted:

You can skip corp stasis even with roles. Drop to npc corp then apply.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Use jEveassets to check the contents of the wraps, then you should be able to asset safety whatever they are and sell them or pay someone to haul them for you

As for plex, I prefer to pay irl money so I dont have to make eve a second job, but I do make enough from PI to fund an account if I wanted to

Add reactions and afk vni ratting while you’re watching Netflix or otherwise not actively playing eve and it’s easy as hell. Reactions alone have generated 8.3b for me since 1 January

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Add reactions and afk vni ratting while you’re watching Netflix or otherwise not actively playing eve and it’s easy as hell. Reactions alone have generated 8.3b for me since 1 January

Reactions have been making goons rich for a long rear end time. We have the best setup for em in Delve, naturally.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Reactions have been making goons rich for a long rear end time. We have the best setup for em in Delve, naturally.

It’s great, I set up buy orders in jita a week before I need them, update them maybe once a day, and log my 5 reaction characters in for 5 seconds every 2-4 days, then put the final product on the market in 1DQ which takes at most two weeks to sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Alternatively, come join the goons up in Venal fighting the good fight and krabbing hard. Blazeswarm can make you very wealthy.