Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SaviourX posted:

What's a good, but not tedious and time-consuming FFVI challenge? I've mostly done no espers before, but something to combo with that that doesn't take ages to make any progress (like lowest levels) would be nice.

I think some of the VI romhacks/difficulty mods are actually supposed to be pretty good if you wanna try that. I might be thinking of a different FF but I've seen people posting about some kind of FFVI randomizer thing that sounded neat also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not sure if there's a more fitting place.

Nier Automata is looking brilliant and the protag designs are on point

try and get in on the stream if you can.
(You gotta pay for it on Nico unless you find a rehost which is probably technically files)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xq_rlP54pI
Someone's caught a bit of footage here, but they're generally messing around in debug still now.

That looks so much like MGR. Loving it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Renoistic posted:

That looks so much like MGR. Loving it.

I would hope so, it's made by the same team.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hahaha, because the UI in IX PC cuts out the instant you lose control in a battle, Beatrix's finishers don't appear to do a drat thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Some more vids. Can't wait for this. Love that glide/dodge.

https://youtu.be/mC3i0aHtzTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Nr9PI-t8U&feature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/bjFdAnmG5uI

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 16, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So NieR and yet so far away.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I just can't believe a Yoko Taro game can have that combat.
It's a dream come true.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just can't believe a Yoko Taro game can have that combat.
It's a dream come true.

Thank god platinum has become so prolific at farming themselves out like they have. I cant believe that just a few years ago they were under a serious risk of folding and now just about every publishing house seem to be using them in one way or another.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Not sure if there's a more fitting place.

Nier Automata is looking brilliant and the protag designs are on point

comparing Nier to a FF is quite the insult, what the heck

also i hope this comes to Steam cuz i don't want to have to buy a PS4

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Do you think it's possible to get Excalibur II by accident now?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Nihilarian posted:

Do you think it's possible to get Excalibur II by accident now?

I got through Disc 1 in ~5h, and that's not skipping cutscenes or abusing speed-up nearly as much as I could. Maybe not accidentally unless you miss lots of side-content and don't get lost but if you know it's there it's probably not a huge deal to make an attempt at it.

The achievements certainly seem to think so since the achievement for getting the Excalibur II is as cavalier about getting the ultimate knight sword as any other ultimate weapon achievement. Though maybe that's just :effort:

E: Of course my post assumes you use speed-up while arbitrarily excluding other cheats, which I now realise is a bit silly. Just shorter loading times and cutscene skips would make a marginal difference, while abusing cheats would make it a cinch.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 16, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

comparing Nier to a FF is quite the insult, what the heck

also i hope this comes to Steam cuz i don't want to have to buy a PS4

It's not a comparison, it's a "this thread is probably the biggest audience for Yoko Taro fans" right now thing

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Can I just rant for a bit about how mildly irritating FFIX's speed-up is? You have to pause to activate it, so it's a pain to flick on quickly to speed up battle transitions or whatever, but it's really loving fast, to the extent that it's difficult to control Zidane on the field or not quickly die in battle, so you can't just leave it on. It's a stupidly petty gripe, I admit, but it just seems poorly executed.

Also while I'm on the cheat functions, Master Abilities gives Quina all his/her Blue Magic immediately. Not necessarily complaining, just FYI if you were only looking to equip the strongest stuff you have immediately or whatever. Alternatively you could consider it a good thing since eating can be a pain.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

It's not a comparison, it's a "this thread is probably the biggest audience for Yoko Taro fans" right now thing

hmm okay i guess i can't disagree

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/moogy0/status/721290062206517248

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Let's check out the sticker price, and... Three thousand dollars?!

What the fug, Roen.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AlphaKretin posted:

Can I just rant for a bit about how mildly irritating FFIX's speed-up is? You have to pause to activate it, so it's a pain to flick on quickly to speed up battle transitions or whatever, but it's really loving fast, to the extent that it's difficult to control Zidane on the field or not quickly die in battle, so you can't just leave it on. It's a stupidly petty gripe, I admit, but it just seems poorly executed.

Also while I'm on the cheat functions, Master Abilities gives Quina all his/her Blue Magic immediately. Not necessarily complaining, just FYI if you were only looking to equip the strongest stuff you have immediately or whatever. Alternatively you could consider it a good thing since eating can be a pain.

Hm, giving Quina all their Blue Magic at the start means you can pretty much blitz through most of the first two Discs with 1000 Needles at least. Not sure how good Earth Shake is before Disc 3 but the MP cost is probably slightly prohibitive at the very least.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeah I liked FFVI's speed up a lot more

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

AlphaKretin posted:

Can I just rant for a bit about how mildly irritating FFIX's speed-up is? You have to pause to activate it, so it's a pain to flick on quickly to speed up battle transitions or whatever,

If you're close to your keyboard, the F1-F7 keys are mapped to the cheats. F1 is speedup enable/disable.

I guess you could also Joy2Key that to some controller button, actually.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Looks great.

Yep, this is definitely a Yoko Taro game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Finally, a good Final Fantasy game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nier Automata: The real Versus XIII
https://twitter.com/dominictarason/status/721498878168670208

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
who is that and why do i care

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the performers from the musical that Nier 2 is based off of

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

General Morden posted:

who is that and why do i care

yako taro made nier, it was real good you should play it

other people will tell you drakengard was good, you can safely ignore them

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Anime musicals. Only in Japan.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Drakengard 3 boss themes were loving great. loving dubstep crab battle during a quest to murder your sisters and poo poo.

Taro's games fly right by Final Fantasy in the "What the gently caress were they smoking when they came up with this plot" department, yet the stories are still pretty amazing to experience (even if the games themselves usually aren't, besides NieR of course).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtbixKc0rms

:rekt:

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

Krad posted:

Anime musicals. Only in Japan.

Implying we don't have similar things:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are there supposed to be subtitles I'm not seeing?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Hahaha, if you enter Ice Cavern before the "Mist Continent" logo completely fades it will be stuck on your world map screen FOREVER

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Hahaha, if you enter Ice Cavern before the "Mist Continent" logo completely fades it will be stuck on your world map screen FOREVER

Please beat the game like this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gamesfreak13563 posted:

Now it's truly a perfect run.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Even when you save/reset/reload?

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Even when you save/reset/reload?

It appears to be some temporary global variable that isn't properly cleared on going back to the title, so you can do it retroactively (i.e. you do the glitch then load up your save file outside of Ice Cavern on a non-glitched file and it will have Mist Continent plastered over it)

You can fix it by restarting the game or doing the segment without triggering the glitch.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

AlphaKretin posted:

The speed-up is 5x base speed. People are trying to mod it down to 2x or 3x. They're also trying to get the 15 FPS battles up to 24 FPS which shouldn't make the animations look like Looney Tunes.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sunning posted:

The speed-up is 5x base speed. People are trying to mod it down to 2x or 3x. They're also trying to get the 15 FPS battles up to 24 FPS which shouldn't make the animations look like Looney Tunes.

I'm glad people are already working on modding the port to not be so half-assed like all of SE's other ports.

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Either the loading time boost is that drastic or these target times are for pussies.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Good to hear my experiences with the loading are just my two and a half year old laptop that cripples itself to save battery life being bad, at least.

I can only imagine how good your time could be with careful abuse of speedup.

E: Do the times expect fmv skipping?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I can only imagine how good your time could be with careful abuse of speedup.
Speedup also doesn't speedup the timer, so it's practically cheating since you're running the game 5 times faster than the timer expects.
Someone should do a super challenge run where they play the whole game on speedup.

quote:

E: Do the times expect fmv skipping?
Yes.

Also to that person who said that Steiner breaking Blank's armor killed their framerate just like in the PSX version I didn't have that problem but that's also apparently because specs seem to matter with this port of a 16 year old game for some reason

Gamesfreak13563 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 17, 2016