Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Either way, I'm still kinda tempted for BSG - especially if it's still almost as good with four people.

It's not, because having only one traitor significantly weakens the game. It's playable, but worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Clank! any fun to play at all? I remember hearing mixed things about it, mostly that it was too random. A friend wants it and is thinking about buying it after having played through a game of it and if she's going to get it, she's going to want people to play with and I don't remember much about the game other than the aforementioned mixed things and the premise of deckbuilding and pushing your luck to get better treasures before the dragon wakes up.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
BSG is possibly one of my favorite board games of all time, and probably the one I've gotten to table most often over the years (and participated in dozens upon dozens of PbPs)-

and I can pretty definitely say you should either play it with 5 players or not at all.

Also I'm way behind the times by like a decade but I finally picked up Dominion (and Seaside) and it's pretty great. I'm pretty sure I avoided that game for years just due to how evangelical people were about it at the time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Also I'm way behind the times by like a decade but I finally picked up Dominion (and Seaside) and it's pretty great. I'm pretty sure I avoided that game for years just due to how evangelical people were about it at the time.
What do evangelicals care about Dominion? :confused:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm well, BSG sounds good, but the five-player recommendation is a turn-off - I could easily do three player games and also four player games reasonably often, but five player game nights only come up now and again, these days. Is Homeland good with around four people, or does that play best with five, like BSG? (I wasn't aware of it before, but Mojo Jojo's post piqued my interest - especially as it was mentioned that there isn't necessarily a terrorist/traitor)
Either way, I'm still kinda tempted for BSG - especially if it's still almost as good with four people. I guess it's reasonable though, for a game like this to be optimal with 5-6.

My group loves homeland. Works with 4 just fine

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I love BSG and have played a shitload of games of it. In my opinion its biggest flaws are related to the game length. The game is kinda dull without a traitor to root out or be, and depending on how things go you might discover the traitors very early on. Once the intrigue of the game is removed, it just becomes a mechanical exercise of playing the game out.

I don't like the design decision of the game length being dictated by the jump cards the admiral gets, either. Bad jump cards (whether intentional or unlucky) can add many turns to an already long game - a Cylon admiral doesn't kill Galactica with a big dramatic reveal, he kills Galactica through grinding attrition. I think I'd much prefer it if the Admiral was just picking between more or less destructive jump cards, and the game had a fixed number of jumps before it ended.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gort posted:

I love BSG and have played a shitload of games of it. In my opinion its biggest flaws are related to the game length. The game is kinda dull without a traitor to root out or be, and depending on how things go you might discover the traitors very early on. Once the intrigue of the game is removed, it just becomes a mechanical exercise of playing the game out.

I don't like the design decision of the game length being dictated by the jump cards the admiral gets, either. Bad jump cards (whether intentional or unlucky) can add many turns to an already long game - a Cylon admiral doesn't kill Galactica with a big dramatic reveal, he kills Galactica through grinding attrition. I think I'd much prefer it if the Admiral was just picking between more or less destructive jump cards, and the game had a fixed number of jumps before it ended.

A common house rule is either to add 1 to the value of all destinations (so they are now 2, 3 or 4) and playing to the jump after 12 destination (instead of 8), or simply playing that the humans have to jump to at least 4 destinations (so stopping the game ending after 3 destinations which is almost always a human victory).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Clank! any fun to play at all? I remember hearing mixed things about it, mostly that it was too random. A friend wants it and is thinking about buying it after having played through a game of it and if she's going to get it, she's going to want people to play with and I don't remember much about the game other than the aforementioned mixed things and the premise of deckbuilding and pushing your luck to get better treasures before the dragon wakes up.

I guess it's 'fun' in the sense that it's doing something sociable with people you (presumably) like to spend time with, but it'd be better to play a proper deckbuilder like Dominion.

It's easiest to think of Clank as Ascension (it has a fight currency to hit monsters which appear in the market) with an additional third currency which is used to move around the game board to pick up treasure, and a health mechanic which allows for occasional player elimination.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've played BSG once and I liked the traitor mechanics, but the Cylon war stuff - particularly the harassing bad guy ships - are clunky and fiddly in the most agonizing possible FFG way.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

PerniciousKnid posted:

They're preaching Prosperity gospel.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I know people here have some justifiably mixed opinions about The Secret Cabal (I tend to enjoy listening, though them reviewing a game positively means nothing to me), but one of the things I like that I first heard there was when Jaime talked about the concept of "fragile" games. He mentioned BSG (which I've never played, so maybe this has no basis but it gels with what I've heard about it) as an example.

Basically fragile games are those that are, for various reasons, have the potential to be very fun games or 3+ hour long slogs depending on circumstances that aren't necessarily under the game's control. It's not just that certain player types don't work well with certain game types, but certain random chances that can basically ruin the experience.

Like if a Cylon in BSG gets conclusively found out and is just forced into the brig extremely early (again, I've not played it so maybe that's a bad example), or if Dracula in FoD gets run into a corner really early on and never really gets going, etc.

It's particularly unfortunate if you run one of those games for people that don't game that often and it doesn't go as well as it might usually, which is something I definitely have to consider personally.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 3, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

FirstAidKite posted:

Is Clank! any fun to play at all?

It's not truly terrible in a way something like Talisman is, but it fails to leverage any of its ideas to become something more than a mediocre market row deckbuilder. Similarly to games like Star Realms or Ascension, they may seem quite fun if it's one's introduction to the genre, but if you've played one of the really good deckbuilders (for as long it takes to click for you why they're lauded so much), the experience turns really dull real quick.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MikeCrotch posted:

A common house rule is either to add 1 to the value of all destinations (so they are now 2, 3 or 4) and playing to the jump after 12 destination (instead of 8), or simply playing that the humans have to jump to at least 4 destinations (so stopping the game ending after 3 destinations which is almost always a human victory).

That's actually a house rule my group came up with and it's amazing how well it works.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Clank is terrible. It's boring, the only well designed mechanic is the damage one (none of them are executed well), the map is stupid and poorly designed, the cards are even more "strictly better, strictly worse," and it has the most potential to have a run away first player of any deck builder I've played

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The thread and discord saved me from Clank and I am very thankful

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

What is the discord? Is there still an IRC?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

food court bailiff posted:

What is the discord? Is there still an IRC?
Discord link in the OP. We don't really use IRC anymore and I think the channel is pretty much dead.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

It's not truly terrible in a way something like Talisman is, but it fails to leverage any of its ideas to become something more than a mediocre market row deckbuilder. Similarly to games like Star Realms or Ascension, they may seem quite fun if it's one's introduction to the genre, but if you've played one of the really good deckbuilders (for as long it takes to click for you why they're lauded so much), the experience turns really dull real quick.

What are the good deck building games anyway? I've really only heard universal praise of dominion.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Dominion, Puzzle Strike, Valley of the Kings. I think paperback was a fun use of the mechanic?

Then there's a bunch of games that have a sort of spin-off mechanics, like Concordia, which don't really count but provide a very similar kind of pleasure.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

adebisi lives posted:

What are the good deck building games anyway? I've really only heard universal praise of dominion.

From the audience here, you'll pretty much only hear good things about Dominion, and perhaps Eminent Domain or Paperback in terms of strict deck-builders, because the vocal crew here lives staunchly by a code of randomness being objectively bad (thus the above comments on Clank, Ascension, basically any single-deck market deck-builder). There are other games which implement deck-building as a part of their whole experience (Great Western Trail comes to mind), but it's hardly the core mechanism of the game.

It's definitely a matter of taste though. I greatly prefer the single-deck take on deck-building to the Dominion-style fixed market, but recognize it's a minority opinion here (though certainly not across the industry at large).

e: ^Oh yeah, forgot about VoK. That one is really good.
e2: And there's certainly other reasons to fault the single-deck games besides their randomness, like runaway leaders and stuff which I agree could be designed better.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 3, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Dominion, Puzzle Strike, Valley of the Kings. I think paperback was a fun use of the mechanic?

Then there's a bunch of games that have a sort of spin-off mechanics, like Concordia, which don't really count but provide a very similar kind of pleasure.

Paperback is less fun than it appears to be at first, due to the pace of the game and at which new consonants enter your deck.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Merauder posted:

From the audience here, you'll pretty much only hear good things about Dominion, and perhaps Eminent Domain or Paperback in terms of strict deck-builders, because the vocal crew here lives staunchly by a code of randomness being objectively bad (thus the above comments on Clank, Ascension, basically any single-deck market deck-builder). There are other games which implement deck-building as a part of their whole experience (Great Western Trail comes to mind), but it's hardly the core mechanism of the game.

It's definitely a matter of taste though. I greatly prefer the single-deck take on deck-building to the Dominion-style fixed market, but recognize it's a minority opinion here (though certainly not across the industry at large).

e2: And there's certainly other reasons to fault the single-deck games besides their randomness, like runaway leaders and stuff which I agree could be designed better.

Single-deck market deck-builders can be really good, the problem is that a lot of games that use the mechanic are trash garbage because it's a very simple to employ mechanic. Games like Clank! for example.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Merauder posted:

the vocal crew here lives staunchly by a code of randomness being objectively bad (thus the above comments on Clank, Ascension, basically any single-deck market deck-builder
Well yeah. I don't think I've ever seen a defense for them aside from "fun."

adebisi lives posted:

Time of Crisis may or may not be good for you depending on if you like area control as part of your deckbuilder and your feelings on exploding sixes. I believe the math checks out and it's a good granular EV reason between the 4+/5+, but like I said it depends on feelings wrt randomness.

Kashuno posted:

Single-deck market deck-builders can be really good, the problem is that a lot of games that use the mechanic are trash garbage because it's a very simple to employ mechanic. Games like Clank! for example.
What's one that has been well implemented? I actually want to try them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Merauder posted:

Also try not saying "people here think randomness is objectively bad" because that's untrue and stupid. Randomness when used badly is bad, but that's kind of tautological?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Time of Crisis may or may not be good for you depending on if you like area control as part of your deckbuilder and your feelings on exploding sixes. I believe the math checks out and it's a good granular EV reason between the 4+/5+, but like I said it depends on feelings wrt randomness.

VoK does it right. I'd like to see a deck builder with incremental costs like in TtA.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Another vote for Time of Crisis and VotK and... maybe Mage Knight? And I haven't played either yet but El Dorado seems to be doing everything Clank does too, minus the obviously dumb ones.

It's funny that Clank and Deck Builders are being discussed again because my good friend and gaming buddy just recently played Clank and seemed to loving love it. And I do want to try it myself before saying too much but the dude also has a giant hard on for DC Deckbuilder, a game that I have almost nothing nice to say about it and is also a single deck market row.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Another vote for Time of Crisis and VotK and... maybe Mage Knight? And I haven't played either yet but El Dorado seems to be doing everything Clank does too, minus the obviously dumb ones.

It's funny that Clank and Deck Builders are being discussed again because my good friend and gaming buddy just recently played Clank and seemed to loving love it. And I do want to try it myself before saying too much but the dude also has a giant hard on for DC Deckbuilder, a game that I have almost nothing nice to say about it and is also a single deck market row.
DC Deckbuilder was by far the most phoned in deckbuilder I ever played. It was like they deliberately avoided all the lessons Dominion taught and created the worst amalgam of bad rules possible.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

silvergoose posted:

Also try not saying "people here think randomness is objectively bad" because that's untrue and stupid. Randomness when used badly is bad, but that's kind of tautological?

I think everyone here would agree that Dominion would be a much worse game if you stacked your deck instead of shuffling it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the VOTK (valley of the kings?) suggestions. I'll run it through my group later

FulsomFrank posted:

That explains it exactly. DC Deckbuilder is literally progress_quest

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Valley of the Kings is proof that you can control the randomness in a market-row deckbuilder without removing all the chance. Sadly, I have yet to see a game that expands upon that. On that note, Valley of the Kings:Afterlife is my favorite version of the game. The original game is a bit too pro-thining, and Valley of the Kings:Last Rites is a bit to combo heavy for me.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

silvergoose posted:

Sorry, was a bit unclear. I meant in the context of deck-building games, and having to build your deck from a randomly changing market; not that randomness is 100% bad all the time.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think everyone here would agree that Dominion would be a much worse game if you stacked your deck instead of shuffling it.
You say that, but the deckbuilding mechanism within Time of Crisis does allow you to stack the deck and it is pretty interesting (although I've sold the game because the dice mechanism in it doesn't agree with me). Although, in time of crisis, all cards are more or less useful, unlike Dominion that relies on expressly useless cards to balance the game. That's actually the reason why the card mechanism in ToC works, though, even though it not only has dual resources, but a TRIPLE resource system. if you had to randomly draw, you would probably always get dogshit hands, or get something that's not immediately useful, which is what happens even in dual resource games. The genius of ToC's system is that you also build your hand at the end of your turn, which means you have to take into account what your opponents might do. I really like the card system in ToC, shame about the rest of the package.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

You say that, but the deckbuilding mechanism within Time of Crisis does allow you to stack the deck and it is pretty interesting (although I've sold the game because the dice mechanism in it doesn't agree with me). Although, in time of crisis, all cards are more or less useful, unlike Dominion that relies on expressly useless cards to balance the game. That's actually the reason why the card mechanism in ToC works, though, even though it not only has dual resources, but a TRIPLE resource system. if you had to randomly draw, you would probably always get dogshit hands, or get something that's not immediately useful, which is what happens even in dual resource games. The genius of ToC's system is that you also build your hand at the end of your turn, which means you have to take into account what your opponents might do. I really like the card system in ToC, shame about the rest of the package.
Yeah, TOC needed sculpted hands because of the wargame-lite/area control aspect of it. If it was random like dominion it would just be a lovely market row deckbuilder (the analogy to wargames without total control of actions here) on top of dice. I still like the dice myself because I understand it's a way to use otherwise useless senate points and I do like the possible math from it, but I can see how exploding dice are really polarizing.

golden bubble posted:

Valley of the Kings is proof that you can control the randomness in a market-row deckbuilder without removing all the chance. Sadly, I have yet to see a game that expands upon that. On that note, Valley of the Kings:Afterlife is my favorite version of the game. The original game is a bit too pro-thining, and Valley of the Kings:Last Rites is a bit to combo heavy for me.
What the? There's expansions too?? Though hurf durf I need to use these sleeves for something after I'm done sleeving up Innovation.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Valley of the Kings, as has already been stated, is great. I tried it on the recommendation of this thread and it has done really well with my group. Definitely that.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've always felt it would be really really easy to fix market row deckbuilders by adding a quick micro-auction phase. Instead of buying the best card for what it costs you have the option to bid on it, then everyone else gets a chance to buy it out from under you. Probably gives big money strategies an even bigger advantage but that seems fixable by just changing how money cycles through the deck? I kind of want to mess with this idea, now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, TOC needed sculpted hands because of the wargame-lite/area control aspect of it. If it was random like dominion it would just be a lovely market row deckbuilder (the analogy to wargames without total control of actions here) on top of dice. I still like the dice myself because I understand it's a way to use otherwise useless senate points and I do like the possible math from it, but I can see how exploding dice are really polarizing.
I mean, ToC is explicitly not a market row game, since it has an open market where mostly you can buy any card, if you have the right resources, just like in Dominion, but I do agree with you there.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Truth be told, I liked Clank! a lot better on my second playthrough. Not in the sense of having more fun with it, but seeing some glimpses of promise that could be fulfilled by a better executed game.

Or, to be more precise, I was happy for there to be any alternative to Tyrants of the Underdark, which for some reason is a huge hit at my meetup. It's completely baffling to me, as the game is milquetoast deckbuilder incarnate: interactions with the board are so bland and uninteresting that the secondary resource (a lovely mechanic in and of itself) might as well be straight converted to bidding on VPs, the variable deck setup somehow offers the worst of both worlds - market row fuckery combined with Dominion's locking into a clear strategy after a few buys - and the spies are a mechanic that seems simultaneosly near pointless and annoying - like basically all of this game's kingmaking avenues. It also took the worst possible approach to trashing cards, where you're both incentivized to trash whatever you're able to (for reasons beyond the general strength of deck-thinning) and the ability to do so is very limited, meaning there's no room neither for thinking what and when to trash stuff nor to have a chance to see some meaningful deck transition.

Compared to this, Clank! offered a comforting illusion of there being some semblance of playstyle choices.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I kind of wonder if exploding dice games would 'feel' better if you just figured out the probability of a win and rolled a d100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I mean, ToC is explicitly not a market row game, since it has an open market where mostly you can buy any card, if you have the right resources, just like in Dominion, but I do agree with you there.

I was using the market row analogy to a wargame that had locked actions based on what you drew out of your hand of cards. Now, there's been games that have been really liked that do it, like C&C, but I personally have a love-hate relationship with that variable chance to do your own actions. I feel like C&C is fine because you get to move with somebody, but with TOC it'd be a lot worse since there's wildly different actions and you're pretty hosed if you don't get to build limes or camps in time.

Kashuno posted:

Valley of the Kings, as has already been stated, is great. I tried it on the recommendation of this thread and it has done really well with my group. Definitely that.
So my friend's putting an order in through game nerds and they don't have VOTK, but they do have VOTK2 and afterlife. Are these also just as good or should I get the original one first?