Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like Blizzard is Blizzard anymore. They were bought and everyone involved in the old Blizzard left so now it's just another "shovel poo poo out the door as fast as possible" Activision branch with nostalgia branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Azhais posted:

It's not like Blizzard is Blizzard anymore. They were bought and everyone involved in the old Blizzard left so now it's just another "shovel poo poo out the door as fast as possible" Activision branch with nostalgia branding.

WoW came out and had 1 hour waits to join the game and 8 hour grinds killing rats to stretch out the leveling process. The only difference is now the people who were unemployed teens with 18 hours a day to kill have limited time, money and are forgetting everything but the positive nostalgia elements of the games of yonder. I guess yelling at game devs is easier for most people than coping with "Why does playing vidya not fill the void in my life anymore"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Blizzard had been going down hill since WC3 at least.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

The literal children and wannabe industry parasites, and captive employees terrified to talk poo poo... that I get

But if you're a grown-rear end adult with memories of Blizzard from 2004 or earlier and haven't realized that after 20 years companies inevitably change-- people get older and tastes change, if absolutely nothing else-- then I don't know why you're still surprised that "this isn't the Blizzard I grew up with."

"Nerd culture" is spending decades of your life actively and vocally hating the ongoing pop culture detritus you irreparably spent your teens and early twenties crystalizing your entire personality around only to find utterly unfulfilling in actual adulthood. Blizzard is just getting more hate right now because between WoW Classic and the Warcraft 3 remake a lot of middle-aged men are being forced to confront the fact that the old games they wasted their lives idolizing weren't actually that good and what they really long for is being young and having friends.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember being mad at Blizzard releasing a God drat Ultima Online instead of the Warcraft point'n'click.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Oh no, I've been having this problem a lot. I love the idea of games, but it's so tough to get hooked by one anymore. Esp. when I'm out of weed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that Blizzard had been going down hill since WC3 at least.

Yeah WC3 was probably their last hurrah.

Outside of the expansion that was basically a paid ad for WoW.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh no I mean WC3 was the first step down. WC2 and SC1 are the clear peaks.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

SC1 is absolutely the summit of Blizzard's achievements as designers. That poo poo ran as e-sports for 12 years halfway across the world despite never being designed as such.

Then when the company that had the name and rights to Blizzard IPs made SC2 they actually tried to make it e-sports but no one up high had the common sense to recognize that giving every unit its own dynamic particle lighting effects made the battlefield a glowstick nightmare no one could visually follow.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

gently caress esports forever

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Syncopated posted:

wow yeah that does work. Though I don't think I can change the size of the image. Ah well, got an addon to firefox that seems to do the same thing as the chrome app posted above.

https://addons.mozilla.org/sv-SE/firefox/addon/imgur-upload/

also
https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1226432045145972737?s=20

If you add the letter l (lowercase L) to the end of an Imgur link before the .jpg extension, it will display an image with a maximum size of (I think) 640*480

Twitter links have a way to do that as well but a) I'm not sure what it is and b) if the tweet is deleted, the image goes away as well

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

E-- thought they gave Best picture to Taxi Driver, guess not. Either way "Joker" sucks but w/e self-satisfied chud :smug: is easy to deal with.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Alt right guy who went on an all beef diet and ended up in Russia going through benzo detox

holy poo poo jorbo lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PittTheElder posted:

Oh gently caress no. You're wrong as poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh gently caress no. You're wrong as poo poo.

Please tell me why you think so; from my perspective WC3 is just not a good game. It introduced the focus on hero units, the dumber Azeroth races, and that awful cartoony art style. Which is not to say that SC1 and WC2 aren't cartoonish, clearly they are, but WC3 is where they really start going overboard with it.

I'll take WC2 with it's quality single player campaigns, lore, and art style, or SC1 for it's masterful multiplayer balance any day.

And though it's not a Blizzard property, throw AoE2 with it's depth in there too.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Feb 10, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PittTheElder posted:

Please tell me why you think so; from my perspective WC3 is just not a good game. It introduced the focus on hero units, the dumber Azeroth races, and that awful cartoony art style. Which is not to say that SC1 and WC2 aren't cartoonish, clearly they are, but WC3 is where they really start going overboard with it.

I'll take WC2 with it's quality single player campaigns, lore, and art style, or SC1 for it's masterful multiplayer balance any day.

And though it's not a Blizzard property, throw AoE2 with it's depth in there too.

jesus loving christ, not only are you wrong, but you're wrong in the meme thread

go somewhere else

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fine here you go

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Great discussion for the meme thread guys

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
zug zug

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I live to serve.
Command me, oh lord.
What's next?
I have some paid time-off coming up, soooo....
Your will be done.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
dabu

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Samuringa posted:

online recipes are on another level

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

:hmmorks:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

D-don't doxx me.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
my life for aiur

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/Oa0QXcA.mp4

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TopHatGenius posted:

my life for aiur

my wife for hire

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MunchE posted:

WoW came out and had 1 hour waits to join the game and 8 hour grinds killing rats to stretch out the leveling process. The only difference is now the people who were unemployed teens with 18 hours a day to kill have limited time, money and are forgetting everything but the positive nostalgia elements of the games of yonder. I guess yelling at game devs is easier for most people than coping with "Why does playing vidya not fill the void in my life anymore"
WoW was at least an improvement over its main competitor, Everquest, where the leveling process was entirely killing rats. Until you killed enough you could handle killing crabs, and then it's crabs, etc. And most other MMOs at the time worked the same way.

Well at least I'm going to die peacefully. That's good.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

WoW was at least an improvement over its main competitor, Everquest, where the leveling process was entirely killing rats. Until you killed enough you could handle killing crabs, and then it's crabs, etc. And most other MMOs at the time worked the same way.

Well at least I'm going to die peacefully. That's good.

Yeah, for all its old-school grindy ways WoW took off for being quick-paced, content, rich, and player-friendly compared to MMOs of its time.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zereth posted:

to be totally fair there's still rats in one of the first raids and every so often you'll encounter horribly powerful rats

I think the second raid zone introduced was the Plane of Hate, which was the result of giving zone designing tools to an intern for a weekend with no supervision or instructions so the zone was a mess of aggroing things through walls, ceilings, floors whatever and this zone contained many rats, and like 40 years later they redid that zone as a max level raid with the same mobs, layout and bugs just scaled up

What this means is you could conceivably be fighting level 1 rats at the start, level 50 rats in your first raid and level 105 rats by the time you ragequit because of how stupid the game is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sagebrush posted:

starcraft came out in 1998

it is four years older than college freshmen today

for the 30-something goons on here, ask yourself how much nostalgia you feel for frogger and galaga. same thing

Hey, they did figure out that Frogger takes place in northern Australia and stars a green tree frog. (A frog that's a lovely swimmer, 'cause y'know, you die in water)

I went up there on a road trip and every single public toilet is a game of 'find the frog'.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

blatman posted:

rats rats

rats rats rats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQwx1EolD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdVnnMOTe3Q

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/1_mZggt6aUg

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I want more 3D Movie Maker memes, that poo poo was wild in 1997

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

People aren't mad at Blizz atm because game bad, they're mad because incredibly huge outright lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

People are also mad at Blizzard because they can't let go of their childhoods spent clicking at thing with mouse cursor.