Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oh, that sounds like fun.

Edit, new page:

Sab669 posted:

So apparently if you go into Google Calendar, create an Event and add people to the Guest list, they'll get the event on their calendar even if you don't send them an invite (or if you do send an invite but they don't accept it). And then you'll get notifications pushed to your phone reminding you of your upcoming event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I too have been getting these ;/ I've now set calendar not to sync with gmail (Events from gmail I think its called) and I think that may have solved it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, got one of those the other day. This has to be a new behavior or something. There's no way it's been broken in this fashion for so long and people just started exploiting it.

I will say I was very confused when I saw an entry in my calendar for a blowjob appointment.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I literally got one yesterday. It had been some time since it had happened. Pretty annoying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I googled it and found articles from 2018 basically saying, "Google knows and doesn't care" but holy poo poo it's annoying out of principle, doubly so when it's poo poo like this:

The first spam I got was like "$204 has been added to your account" which confused/concerned the poo poo out of me. That was for the gambling site. But this... like I'm not a prude or anything, but I 100% do not want that poo poo on my lock screen on the unlikely chance that a friend or relative picks up my phone for some reason.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I turned off the auto add feature which made them go away for me, but my wife still saw them (on my calendar that is shared with her). Turned it back on so I could at least report them. It has happened maybe 2-3 times so far for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Got some weirdness with my 3XL deciding to start kicking up a little "return to assistant" or something notification when put on a pixel stand. It doesn't seem to change functionality much beyond seemingly putting the assistant app in the foreground occasionally so I have to get rid of it upon unlocking.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I will say I was very confused when I saw an entry in my calendar for a blowjob appointment.

"hey, honey, Google says it's time for my blowjob!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

End or an era, Q is simply going to be known as Android 10. No more desserts.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Android Quiche, it would have been so simple.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lmao at implementing Enterprise Outlook functionality to an anonymous public population

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Why does everyone get messed up when they hit version 10?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm amazed they're not calling it Android X.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Honestly I'd way rather they just went with a numerical system rather than arbitrary food names. I won't miss it :colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sab669 posted:

So apparently if you go into Google Calendar, create an Event and add people to the Guest list, they'll get the event on their calendar even if you don't send them an invite (or if you do send an invite but they don't accept it). And then you'll get notifications pushed to your phone reminding you of your upcoming event.

This "feature" is apparently abused by spam/scam sites, who presumably just buy lists of email addresses on the internet and then create dozens of events and mass mail them out.

Which is a really long way to say I started getting a fuckload of spam this week for a variety of cam/gambling sites and I can't figure out how to stop it. All I can do is go into the desktop website for Google Calendar, click on the Event, Report As Spam and it'll delete all of the events. But I can't seem to Report As Spam in the Android Google Calendar app?

Here's a guide on how to stop it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:krad: I looked around but DuckDuckGo often doesn't deliver the best results :) Thanks.

Bonus: Apparently Calendar has a Dark Theme, which I found while digging around in the settings. Who knew!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

People who read the release notes. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It seems like so often the notes are nothing more than, "Fixed bugs" so I've stopped reading them for the most part. Also I've only recently started using the app in general.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sab669 posted:

It seems like so often the notes are nothing more than, "Fixed bugs" so I've stopped reading them for the most part. Also I've only recently started using the app in general.

Yeah, Google's are particularly (ironically) bad. I update without thinking most of my day-to-day apps, but some I'm more interested in knowing the changes. For some reason, Calendar is one of those.

(YouTube has had "now you can send messages!" as an update note for what seemed like months.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Honestly I'd way rather they just went with a numerical system rather than arbitrary food names. I won't miss it :colbert:

How does it feel to be completely devoid of any semblance of fun?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Excuse me, he has "669" in his username, clearly he knows about fun numbers

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
No more desert based Android names, big re-branding etc

https://www.androidauthority.com/android-brand-redesign-2019-1018245/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dude, scroll up before you post. Please.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

Where did someone post the link to the interview?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Dude has a point

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep, also I agree that it seems everyone drops the ball at version 10 and their excuse for it is downright lame.

I was at least hoping they would make it through the alphabet, then if they wanted change things up and if need be, go to numbers only. Oh well. Throw it on the pile of OS'es at Version 10 then. Maybe they won't call the next version 10.1 or something right. :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Android 10Q: You're welcome :smugdroid:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

butt dickus posted:

Android 10Q: You're welcome :smugdroid:

No you see, Q never had a name.. as in it was anonymous... Q Anon! Wake up sheeple! :tinfoil:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Desert not dessert

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Android is on 10, iOS is soon to be on 13. Wrap it up Android, clearly iOS has bigger number. :smug:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I thought they were bad with visual design, now they are just pulling 10 out of the air randomly. I mean we know the company is just AI, I guess it hasn't developed far enough yet

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Whats the best app for taking notes? (exclusing the Google one). Short notes, nothing fancy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't like naming conventions that make me sing the ABC's in my head to recall the order in which they were released.

Eclipse is equally bad actually worse :colbert:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

OnePlus 7 Pro owners; how do you feel about the curved screen? I almost placed an order for one last night but I've never had a curved screen phone. I don't really care about screen protector issues as I've never used one. Also, are you using a 3rd party case and if so, what kind?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mental Hospitality posted:

OnePlus 7 Pro owners; how do you feel about the curved screen? I almost placed an order for one last night but I've never had a curved screen phone. I don't really care about screen protector issues as I've never used one. Also, are you using a 3rd party case and if so, what kind?

I still hate the curved screen along with the lack of any bezels also my phone has hard crashed twice in the last month and its IMU is crap. I'm using some cheap case off of amazon, but they're all basically the same.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sab669 posted:

Android QitQat, they missed a trick there.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Mental Hospitality posted:

It's my first phone with a curved screen and it's not too bad, the main negative I'd say is that the there is a slight color shift depending on the angle. I am using a Spigen Rugged Armor case:

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Rugged-Armor-Designed-OnePlus/dp/B07QQ9LSK4/

I would recommend it as it has a nice texture, doesn't add much bulk and looks pretty subdued.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would rather it not be curved than curved but I cope for the rest of the device being as good as it is. Edge reflections are horrible though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm gonna echo that satisfaction, the hardware of the OP7 Pro is very strong overall and the things I don't like about the software are, for the most part, things I don't like about the Pixel or stock Android either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Billa posted:

Whats the best app for taking notes? (exclusing the Google one). Short notes, nothing fancy.

I use Colornote. It backs up with your Google account so you don't even have to transfer anything when you get a new phone.