Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Honest (and I assume unpopular) question/opinion: am I the only one who thinks the UCS AT-AT is a bit lackluster in it‘s design? I don‘t want to compare it to the CaveGod MoC (different scale, way different building techniques especially [I assume] in regard to stability), and generally it‘s not fair to compare that, so that‘s not my point.

But there are some spots on the leaked pics I don‘t understand why they are done the way the are. The hydraulic pistons on the upper leg…there is a perfect piece from Lego to depict them…though they seem to just be a tile, instead of the long antenna? The upper joint of the legs, with - again - a protruding tile…it looks kinda wrong.

The more I look all over the set, the more I am a bit let down on the choices they made for the parts, when there are way better options available…

Arguing about the showing studs I won‘t, because that‘s obviously a matter of taste and also more or less a design principle by Lego to show that it‘s Lego, so that‘s fine by me.

But overall, especially after the really impressive Titanic….the UCS AT-AT seems….like a playset to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I see where you're coming from with it looking like a playset rather than a display piece, but I feel like Star Wars UCS has always trended that way more than things like Creator Master that goes more for full on brick-based sculptures.

Honestly I looked up the CaveGod MoC people have been mentioning and I like the official set way more; the MoC is very nice and all but it feels super out of place looking at it next to actual UCS sets; things like the near featureless main flat panel on the middle of the body, or the repetitive pattern that makes up the feet -- they don't feel like a "proper" Lego set to me, they look too much like the designer was trying above all to make the edges smooth when the sets by professional designers instead go to pains to make more interesting textures and shapes. For the UCS set, even though it's obviously plate built, nearly every angle and surface shows off the designers doing something interesting; the way things interlock, the way pieces at different angles are put together in creative ways. Conversely the surfaces on the MoC instead have the vibe of a 10 year year old stacking 2x4 bricks into a flat wall, but with a much bigger budget. Okay that's probably overly harsh, but I think there's a very real line between the vast majority of MoCs and the (pricier) actual Lego sets; the actual Lego designers try to create something that your average person couldn't and show that part off even if it ends up looking a little bit less like the source material. Not saying I could make something looking like the CaveGod MoC but if I had an unlimited pile of Lego I could probably come pretty close, whereas there's no way I could approach what the actual UCS set is doing.

I guess what I'm saying is imo the UCS set makes for a much better Lego set, even if maybe the CaveGod MoC is arguably a more appealing AT-AT.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Slightly disappointed that it's not another modular compatible set.

Same, but also kind of grateful since it means less I feel compelled to buy. :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Waltzing Along posted:

GF is excited about these.

Happy upcoming year of the tiger to you all!

Are those bent leg pieces real?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Same, but also kind of grateful since it means less I feel compelled to buy. :v:

The last one also took up a relatively large amount of display space, more than a modular.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My friend and I did a Fast and Furious movie marathon a few months ago and in-between movies I built the ghost rider Dodge charger, then decided to make my own. I wanted it to be minifig compatible, but racer size, and not look too "cartoony" I was just using a big bin it rando pieces because we weren't near my Lego desk while watching. This morning my daughter wanted to play Legos, so I finished it.

That's like the 4th or 5th rear end design and I'm finally happy that it has the feel of it at that scale.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FBS posted:

Are those bent leg pieces real?

No, Lego always shops them in promo stuff.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

No, Lego always shops them in promo stuff.

The Demogorgon in the Stranger Thing Set has those weird bendy legs.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, they're still straight, they're just meant to be digitigrade. The satyr minifig has them too; https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=970cf00pb01#T=C&C=88

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

3 days later I've finished the Bugatti Chiron and man... what a piece. It's beautiful, then I realized the Gearbox isn't engaged when the car is in Drive mode... In Reverse it works but in Drive nothing happens. Man, talk about deflating. There's no way in poo poo I'm taking this thing apart just to fix it. I wouldn't even know where to look in the Gearbox in an attempt to correct my days old blunder.

I love how integrated everything is with Technic, the Chiron is solid as hell but it makes it nearly impossible to get to the gearbox without a total disassembly. :smith:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I feel ya, I hosed up like the second step on the batwing and now can only hang it upside down :doh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The forward gear on my shuttle doesn't work and I'll be hosed if I can bother tearing it apart to try to figure it out. The back ones are fine.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I messed up in an early stage of the Typewriter (missed a single 1x2 plate) and I am ashamed to say that rather than dismantling it I just kind of bent the assembly to cram it in, which wouldn't have been possible without the gap left by the missing piece.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I put a guiding plate one stud off in the UCS Star Destroyer, which caused the entire thing to be misaligned. Took about 45 minutes of going through the directions in reverse and comparing sides before I found it. Not my funnest Lego moment.

Also, about 5 plates have fallen off the falcon and despite my best efforts I absolutely cannot figure out where the hell they went. I just stick them in the empty area with no interior so it's not missing any parts. But I seriously looked it over for like an hour trying to figure out where they went. but you get to a set that size and sometimes it's just like...good luck finding where that went.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 7, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Still not proud of when I shaved down that one piece with a knife to get the aft smokestack on steamboat Willie working.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
:stare:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've been tempted to saw the back tab off of these to make a myself a better sidewalk

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=71771&idColor=85#T=S&C=85&O=%7B%22color%22:85,%22iconly%22:0%7D

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I always glue everything and saw off what I put on wrong.

E: of course I paint over the saw spot.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah yes...that's the good stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's no illegal connections when u have a cigarette lighter.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Just about to start a UCS Super Star Destroyer build - wish me luck!

I was given a light kit as a gift to go with it and having never used one before was wondering if people generally retrofit or integrate these as they build?

Thanks

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
So Vidiyo is pretty much dead, isn't it? I was at a major toy retailer in my country the other day and pretty much everything in the line, up to the large flagship sets, was at least half off, and it seems about the same for online retailers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The official line is that they’re rethinking it from the ground up.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Lego is hilariously bad at creating new IPs these days. You'd think they learned not to make everything smartphone based and instead come up with something interesting in its own right, but that's what you get when you have capitalist consultant type idiots running the show I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skios posted:

So Vidiyo is pretty much dead, isn't it? I was at a major toy retailer in my country the other day and pretty much everything in the line, up to the large flagship sets, was at least half off, and it seems about the same for online retailers.

Yeah, and the S2 bandmates are getting a very limited release.

There are some really cool minifigs in line and it's worth taking a look even if you don't care about the theme itself.

I suspect some of the large flagship sets are going to be pretty good parts packs at their massively reduced price too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are these toys+smartphone things failing for other companies too? I don't pay attention to other toy lines.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How did he find it in the clearance section at Target already?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I am disturbed that his Christmas tree is up.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

putting a Christmas tree up in the first week of November is the most disturbing thing I've ever seen a metal band do

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pumpkins down. Trees up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Lego is hilariously bad at creating new IPs these days. You'd think they learned not to make everything smartphone based and instead come up with something interesting in its own right, but that's what you get when you have capitalist consultant type idiots running the show I guess.

It unfortunately probably has a lot to do these days with license agreements that mean Lego can't make their own IP that competes with licensed IP.

Which sucks because I'm sick of starwars and were never seeing cool space Lego again.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Funko pop Christmas ornaments on the tree

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

EvilJoven posted:

Which sucks because I'm sick of starwars and were never seeing cool space Lego again.

I never made that connection. I wonder if that's part of the licensing agreement.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I approve of the Spongebob one. If you go for tacky you gotta go all out or bust.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

I never made that connection. I wonder if that's part of the licensing agreement.

They started Star Wars in 1999.

Since then, we've had Life on Mars, Mars Mission, Space Police III, Alien Conquest, and Galaxy Squad. It's possible the contract's gotten worse over time, since Galaxy Squad was 2015, and we haven't had a full line since. Disney bought SW in 2012.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s more likely that Lego just doesn’t want anything to potentially compete with the absolute cash cow that is Star Wars. It doesn’t have to be some big evil contract conspiracy on Disney’s part.

Also, while we haven’t had explicitly futuristic space IPs since 2015, there has been a continual City Space subtheme for a while now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's probably more likely that focus groups with kids showed that they don't give a poo poo about spaceships enough to warrant a product line. Everything they've done with space in the past 10 years has been aimed straight at adults.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there's no shortage of spaceships in marvel comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Skios posted:

Wish it was half price here (in the UK), those sets and especially minifigures are pretty neat, but full price is just way too much

Need to somehow gather the series 2 bandmates minifigs as well, but that seems harder if they're full price only and Lego store only