Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Yeah I was counting Misija rather than Iceheart. My least favorite villain in the entire game is Zenos and after generally enjoying Shadowbringer's story and especially the post-story patch content I audibly sighed when he showed up again with his new terrible sidekick who is like, every single awful villain character trait distilled into someone who's already become my least favorite character in the whole game despite getting an amazingly little amount of screen time.

I definitely agree that the best content tends to be side stories or background stuff. One of my favorite little details is garelean gunblade techniques. One of the big villains of ARR has a very distinct way of fighting with his gunsword, that's cool. You later meet another guy who has a similar way of fighting, but better, because they learned from the same master or some poo poo! Then in the gunbreaker class quests that guy's apprentice or whatever shows up for revenge because you killed him IIRC

See, that first spoiler person is one of the only characters of her ilk that I like, but she only gets an upswing in ways that don't necessarily work well, especially because she's coming after several characters hitting very similar notes.

1. Again, side content. So she's not around for long enough to wear thin.
2. She's written by Yasumi Matsuno (Ivalice/Tactics Ogre guy), who has very different sensibilities that personally work much better for me. Matsuno likes to focus a lot more on the facts of a situation than the emotions and just trusts you to respond appropriately to them; that means a lot less sob story and sympathy play, and a lot more recognition of the reality she comes from. More than Yotsuyu and Fordola, I get and respect why Misija is like she is; she just recognizes that the IVth Legion treats her better than the Bozjan aristocratic government they deposed, and it's hard to say she's wrong for that.
3. An admittedly superficial reason, but she's just fun to watch. On top of getting a very interesting ability set to fight against, the cutscene animators feel like they had a lot of fun with her. Very rarely do they get to work with a femroe, and it feels like they just loved getting a chance to have her smirk and sneer for the camera.

Obviously, I like the new villain, and I think part of that comes from a similar thing to the above; you can tell the cutscene animators are having so much fun with him. There's a lot of room for them to squander him, though, a lot of the appeal around him is less that he's already a good villain and more that he's shown the potential to be one, but it's potential that could be wasted if they position him wrong or give him the wrong arc (there's no loving way this guy could pull off a sob-story villain of any kind, but they might try). Putting him alongside Zenos is a high-risk strategy in that respect, because he's a great foil for Zenos, but that pairing only really works if at the end of the day Zenos is the light that goes out first, because only one of them has interesting final boss potential.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I have spent hundreds of hours in Fire Pro Wrestling World, and it's one of my favorite games ever. Pretty standard 2.5D wrestling simulator with simple but detailed creation options, the ability to download and upload created wrestlers and other assets, and wrestler AI that's good enough that you can easily just run endless CPU vs. CPU matches and be surprised at the results.

So a while back they added DLC that allowed you to upload custom "parts" for wrestler creation- textures and objects that weren't in the base game. Later for the last DLC release they released a similar creator for custom moves, allowing you to create new wrestling moves for wrestlers to use. New creations are up on Steam for the PC version, and on their own website for the PS4 release. All well and good. You can upload custom wrestlers with custom parts and moves, but if you download/subscribe to said wrestler you need to subscribe to all those parts and moves yourself, i.e. it won't do it automatically.

The site has a feature where you can list the created parts a wrestler uses and even link to them but it doesn't list them automatically, you have to do that yourself. A little annoying but okay.

All of this would be mildly irritating on its own but bonded together there's now a big problem- nowadays most creators are uploading wrestlers with tons of bespoke parts and moves, and to subscribe to them you have to subscribe to each single piece. Like I'm seeing edits with 50+ custom things to download on top of them.

Like, the graphics are not that detailed! The faces are kind of abstracted, you don't need to model them exactly!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So I take it that FF14 has the same problem as Xenoblade Chronicles X - great sidequests but a super boring main quest?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

BioEnchanted posted:

So I take it that FF14 has the same problem as Xenoblade Chronicles X - great sidequests but a super boring main quest?

It's actually the opposite, the main quest is a big JRPG-style story and most sidequests are just busy work that reward you with a bit of lore and some items if you're running short - not even worth doing for the XP.

But depending on how you count it levels 5 to 40 of the base game are a big slog that's been cut down a bit but is still pretty dull compared to other stuff on the market.

Beyond that point people love the main quest. There's also a couple of side chains that get a lot of love because they have content that's a bit more involved.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main story's not bad overall, but a little inconsistent since it's been developed over years. Starts out as pretty normal "Evil threatens the realm!" stuff but when you get into the higher-level expansion stuff the plot gets a little more intricate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The main story is also written by a number of different people, and it shows at times. FF14 in general tries to shy away from "This person is bad because they are bad" and give you some justification and reasoning for how villains wind up doing what they do, but it can vary pretty badly at times how well or not they pull it off.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

How the hell does anyone find the visual hierarchy in Hades acceptable? I feel like a solid 50% of the damage I take is from attacks that were fundamentally not visible either due to the camera angle or some other effect covering the attack up.

Similarly for every attack that is telegraphed there's another that just isn't, gently caress you. Object example being my last run where I could dodge Hades' big spear swings well enough but subsequently dodged towards one of his skulls only to have it instantly blow up in my face and kill me with no warning.

In general I think I just hate the camera, full stop. Against melee enemies it's too zoomed out and it's hard see what they're doing. Against ranged enemies it's the exact opposite, impossible to get an overview of where you're being sniped from.

1) Yeah there's a visual bug with those skulls where sometimes they explode and the green shockwave they create is invisible or barely visible.

2) That's literally my only gripe with the game. The camera is too far away to make precision up-close fighting realistic at higher levels. I'm up to something like 11 heat now and "brawler" builds need to transition into something else by the time I hit Elysium or it gets ugly fast. The loving archers in Elysium are the worst and as soon as I see one spawn, I rush them down or you'll get pinked to death from range and have no idea where they are. Plus they hit hard as hell too.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

I feel like the Nightmare was supposed to fill that role, but he turned out to be pretty underwhelming. Plus, his appearances were erratic enough that on my first playthrough the second time he appeared I was already a neuro-upped death god and melted him.

Plus you can just straight up leave the area and wait for the Nightmare to leave if you want to. There's zero reason to ever fight one as they typically consume more resources than they generate.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

It depends how you define “side quests”. If you mean the various optional quests that mostly just exist for exp, then those are pretty boring. If you mean the optional questlines associated with raids and dungeons and such, those are typically pretty good.

Past ARR the main story is actually pretty good IMO, especially Shadowbringers.

To add my own “thing dragging a game down”, I really don’t like how retainers work in FFXIV. Having your bank space exist as separate character inventories you have to close and open makes it difficult to search through them all (especially when checking for things that can’t be easily isearched, like a level range of gear). Ventures can return a lot of useless items that just add inventory clutter if you don’t immediately throw them out. Most annoyingly, you have to pay real money for more of them. I’m guessing the fact that the equivalent of “bank space” exists as separate character inventories is some limitation of the code thing, but it’s still annoying.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cythereal posted:

The main story is also written by a number of different people, and it shows at times. FF14 in general tries to shy away from "This person is bad because they are bad" and give you some justification and reasoning for how villains wind up doing what they do, but it can vary pretty badly at times how well or not they pull it off.

At this point they've just had so goddamn many villains that you're bound to like some and not others, just because they play with a whole lot of different themes and angles.

The only problem really comes if you don't really mesh with a major writer's favorite angle. Then... well, it's gonna keep coming up, and you'll never be entirely free of it. Nuebot had a similar deal to that: while different writers were in charge of all the villains they brought up, it's clearly just a very common theme that the main writers like going to. I suspect someone on the core writing team does like it and keeps pushing for it even if someone else usually writes it.

I'm actually in a problem where I really, REALLY don't mesh well with how Natsuko Ishikawa, the lead writer for both the last and next expansion and writer for several well-regarded stories before them, seems to like her villains. I like basically every other part of her writing, but when she sits down to write a Big Lead Villain, it's always 'here is someone who has committed heinous crimes (oftentimes on-screen), but is largely charismatic in a sexy brooding edgelord kinda way, who gets a sad backstory/reveal at the eleventh hour that is supposed to make their final battle/death scene right afterwards a sad moment of saying goodbye to someone you ultimately are supposed to respect in some way'. And not one single time has it worked for me; mostly it's because I generally don't find those characters very appealing in the way the game wants me to in the 'charismatic bad guy' phase (Yotsuyu pulled it off mostly by being a genuinely loathsome person, I was on the same page with her), and then when the big sympathy moment happens I can never push aside the 'but what about the murders' question that she really doesn't want you to be asking right now or possibly ever again.

But... well, of course she's going to keep writing those characters, because in a wide appeal those characters are all big hits. They just fall flat for me, every single time.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, after my specific complaints about Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, what does the final boss segment turn out to be but....four sequences in a row of whittling down an enemy's heavy armor, with the most stingy and unhelpful ammo boxes the whole time. There were enough health pickups that I never felt in danger, it was just fifteen minutes of standing around either holding the fire button or waiting to replenish some kind of useful ammo.

I thought a bunch of the game was great, but there were definitely specific design flaws popping up from time to time through it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of the FFXIV main quest, I am still salty about the loving "Company of Heroes" questline. That one quest alone probably soured me on the entirety of ARR more than anything else.

For those who haven't experienced it themselves: Basically at some point in the story it looks like you're gonna have to fight a huge scary reborn boss. In order to prepare for that, you're sent to find the group of adventurers who defeated him last time (the titular company of heroes) to get advice on how to do it. So you go about finding them, and the first one you find tells you that in order for them to help you, you gotta prepare a proper banquet for the whole group of them.

What follows is the most asinine series of fetch quests I have ever seen. You're sent out to find meat, cheese, wine, and so on for that banquet from around the world. Each of these sub-quests have further sub-quests and occasionally sub-sub-quests as you're sent from one contrived hindrance to another. Most steps have crossing from one part of the world to another, to the point where you probably spend more time looking at loading screens than actually doing things. Even if you're usually invested in the story, this will probably be the quest where you just start skipping through the dialogue as fast as you can just to be done with it.

When you're finally done with all that, the banquet finally happens and the Company unveils the truth: Of course they haven't just sent you on dumbass errands just for a meal, it was a test all along! They were just making sure you're properly dedicated and worthy of facing the big bad boss guy! The game even makes a joke along the lines of "wow you sure look kinda pissed about that". Which is just dumb bullshit for so many reasons: If a game makes you trudge through tedious garbage, but does so "ironically", you still trudged through tedious garbage, and playing it off as a joke doesn't make it not tedious. Secondly, at that point you're presented as basically the only person around willing and able to face up to that boss, so the weird purity test doesn't even make sense since it's either you or nobody. Lastly, the advice from the Company isn't even any good, they just tell you how to find the boss and go "good luck, try not to die".

gently caress you, Company of Heroes :argh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Frank Frank posted:

Plus you can just straight up leave the area and wait for the Nightmare to leave if you want to. There's zero reason to ever fight one as they typically consume more resources than they generate.

There's a modded version of Prey that randomizes everything, and one of the things it can do is swap the Nightmare in at random points. I've been watching a stream of it where the Nightmare replaces the mimic that spawns when you're first opening up Morgan's office, so it literally jumpscares into existence out of nothing and then chases you around while you have nearly zero weapons or ammo. It's easy to escape and lose it, but it definitely changes the feel of the game when the Nightmare appears that early.

In this seed, it also replaced a mimic in the lobby of the first area you go to outside of the hub, and a mimic that exists in the room with the Psychoscope in Psytronics. They're such perfect spawn points that it almost seems hard-coded into the run. The wall of gloo-cannon gloo that normally needs to broken open and releases a bunch of mimics to get the psychoscope ended up getting Kool-Aid Manned by the Nightmare and I doubled over laughing because it just has ZERO chill

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Perestroika posted:

What follows is the most asinine series of fetch quests I have ever seen. You're sent out to find meat, cheese, wine, and so on for that banquet from around the world. Each of these sub-quests have further sub-quests and occasionally sub-sub-quests as you're sent from one contrived hindrance to another. Most steps have crossing from one part of the world to another, to the point where you probably spend more time looking at loading screens than actually doing things. Even if you're usually invested in the story, this will probably be the quest where you just start skipping through the dialogue as fast as you can just to be done with it.

When you're finally done with all that, the banquet finally happens and the Company unveils the truth: Of course they haven't just sent you on dumbass errands just for a meal, it was a test all along! They were just making sure you're properly dedicated and worthy of facing the big bad boss guy! The game even makes a joke along the lines of "wow you sure look kinda pissed about that". Which is just dumb bullshit for so many reasons: If a game makes you trudge through tedious garbage, but does so "ironically", you still trudged through tedious garbage, and playing it off as a joke doesn't make it not tedious.

Reminds me of the second world in Darksiders 2. Been a long time since I've played but from what I recall there's a sort of skeleton king figure ruling over the land and the main quest the whole time you're there is basically a fetch quest to track down three of his skeleton lords. Each of those three lords requires a separate "fetch three things" quest of their own which drags the task out even longer. Once you finally get through it all and deliver the lords to him he kills them in front of you unceremoniously and makes you feel like you just wasted the last ten hours or however long it took to get through the place.

Then the next world was clearly rushed and only features a hub world and a single dungeon

Then the world after that was just a single dungeon without a hub.

I think the first world was good from what I remember and had several inventive Zelda-style dungeons but as the game progressed to later worlds it became increasingly clear that the developers ran out of time or money while making it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That exact same progression happened in PS2 game Ghosthunter. As the game went on the locations and plot became more sparse and nonsensical, which characters showing up for one scene then just vanishing.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Perestroika posted:

When you're finally done with all that, the banquet finally happens and the Company unveils the truth: Of course they haven't just sent you on dumbass errands just for a meal, it was a test all along! They were just making sure you're properly dedicated and worthy of facing the big bad boss guy! The game even makes a joke along the lines of "wow you sure look kinda pissed about that". Which is just dumb bullshit for so many reasons: If a game makes you trudge through tedious garbage, but does so "ironically", you still trudged through tedious garbage, and playing it off as a joke doesn't make it not tedious. Secondly, at that point you're presented as basically the only person around willing and able to face up to that boss, so the weird purity test doesn't even make sense since it's either you or nobody. Lastly, the advice from the Company isn't even any good, they just tell you how to find the boss and go "good luck, try not to die".

gently caress you, Company of Heroes :argh:

To make this even worse, by this point in the story, you've already killed a giant scary reborn boss. The Company of Heroes is demanding you prove that you can do something that you've already done.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Company of Heroes stuff is even worse when you realize that the whole time, this huge threat is a time sensitive one. The last time this threat came around, the Company only succeeded by basically throwing bodies at it until they overcame it. This threat kills people indiscriminately. And so while you're being yanked around for the sake of a laugh, you're just remembering that you were told to do this quickly.

Last July the developers went through A Realm Reborn and removed a bunch of quests that were pure fluff. Almost nothing got removed from the Company of Heroes arc. It was left intact.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its great that they basically had you doing it again, complete with going to Costa Del Sol, during the Ivalice raid. They know

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Deathloop is pretty good so far but it is disappointing how linear the game is. It's not a straight shot to the end, but if you think you're going to be able to explore the time loop mechanic get ready to be disappointed.

If you ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I go back to do X again" the answer is usually a new locked door in your face for some reason.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Deathloop is pretty good so far but it is disappointing how linear the game is. It's not a straight shot to the end, but if you think you're going to be able to explore the time loop mechanic get ready to be disappointed.

If you ask yourself "I wonder what happens if I go back to do X again" the answer is usually a new locked door in your face for some reason.

I'm pretty early on, but had a bad feeling that it was going to feel more like finding which 4 levels of 16 you have to play to win, rather than an actual clockwork world. Idk what would make it feel more immersive, so maybe that's unfair of me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Frank Frank posted:

2) That's literally my only gripe with the game. The camera is too far away to make precision up-close fighting realistic at higher levels. I'm up to something like 11 heat now and "brawler" builds need to transition into something else by the time I hit Elysium or it gets ugly fast. The loving archers in Elysium are the worst and as soon as I see one spawn, I rush them down or you'll get pinked to death from range and have no idea where they are. Plus they hit hard as hell too.

I've gotten better at dealing with the archers, but I feel like to some degree it's been down to luck. I think a big problem is that armor is an overly binary mechanic. Clearly the game needs something to keep combat from being a mash-fest, but armor tends to bend the difficulty in really unfortunate ways sometimes, with armored archers being a good example. Doesn't help that there isn't a consistent anti-armor option, just a smattering of boons which often feel bad to take.

My new annoyance is how bad the final area can get. Even the small rats can sneak a cheap free hit in now and again and everything bigger is obnoxious for one reason or another.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Leal posted:

Its great that they basically had you doing it again, complete with going to Costa Del Sol, during the Ivalice raid. They know

That time round, it's a welcome relief from the terrible characters and boring story

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Company of Heroes is so bad it turned off of FF14 for like, a week, and I had to cool down before coming back to it.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I think the first world was good from what I remember and had several inventive Zelda-style dungeons but as the game progressed to later worlds it became increasingly clear that the developers ran out of time or money while making it.

All three Darksiders games end up feeling to me like they needed more money or more time or both injected into them. Shame, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darksiders 2 was right around when the publisher was going under so that probably had something to do with the diminishing levels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vandar posted:

All three Darksiders games end up feeling to me like they needed more money or more time or both injected into them. Shame, really.

They definitely have heavy flaws but I still love them for their trashy 90’s comics vibes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

All I need is a Darksiders with all 4 horsemen, and for it to be a massive wholesome huggathon as we see these immortal death machines actually do really like each other.

Also I need a resolution for 1s ludicrous cliffhanger

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Surviving Mars is a great base building game, and it would be fantastic if only the colonist AI was less loving stupid. Colonists will rarely move from one dome to another, even if they're unemployed and even if the other dome has jobs in their specialty. You can reassign them, but there's a good chance they'll revert back to their old dome after an hour or so. This would be less of a hassle if your colonist population were static, but they steadily age, give birth, retire, and die at such a rate that you'll be micromanaging them fairly often. Most agonizing, though, is that there was a workshop mod that fixed this issue beautifully but it's been broken and un-touched for over a year, now.

Granted, having disorganized labor is more a hindrance to overall growth than it is a death sentence. But in a game that already has glacial end-game progression, knowing that your factories are underproducing while unemployed engineers aimlessly wander the neighboring dome is super frustrating.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

thecluckmeme posted:

There's a modded version of Prey that randomizes everything, and one of the things it can do is swap the Nightmare in at random points. I've been watching a stream of it where the Nightmare replaces the mimic that spawns when you're first opening up Morgan's office, so it literally jumpscares into existence out of nothing and then chases you around while you have nearly zero weapons or ammo. It's easy to escape and lose it, but it definitely changes the feel of the game when the Nightmare appears that early.

In this seed, it also replaced a mimic in the lobby of the first area you go to outside of the hub, and a mimic that exists in the room with the Psychoscope in Psytronics. They're such perfect spawn points that it almost seems hard-coded into the run. The wall of gloo-cannon gloo that normally needs to broken open and releases a bunch of mimics to get the psychoscope ended up getting Kool-Aid Manned by the Nightmare and I doubled over laughing because it just has ZERO chill

Reminds me of the randomizers for the Resident Evil games which sounds really cool.

I swear to god, I think I'm the only Prey player that turbo hosed himself out of being able to progress. Or maybe my patience just ran out and I was doing poo poo wrong. Really cool game but I checked out maybe 2/3 of the way through since it felt like my build had turbo hosed me somehow.

It's me. I'm the guy that figured out a way to ruin myself in a game where that's apparently impossible. I suck at Preying.

Very awesome game though.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Reminds me of the randomizers for the Resident Evil games which sounds really cool.

I swear to god, I think I'm the only Prey player that turbo hosed himself out of being able to progress. Or maybe my patience just ran out and I was doing poo poo wrong. Really cool game but I checked out maybe 2/3 of the way through since it felt like my build had turbo hosed me somehow.

It's me. I'm the guy that figured out a way to ruin myself in a game where that's apparently impossible. I suck at Preying.

Very awesome game though.

The trick is to bum rush the psychoscope, scan the five or so phantoms in the vats that are around, and dump neuromods into the "I would like to explode this room please" power. You get enough research scans you can jump straight to Rank 2 with it.

Get that, and always keep a few recycler charges on hand. If I don't like a room I'll usually toss one of those in, and if it doesn't kill the bad guys outright it will still deal damage that you can mop up with the room-exploding power and an upgraded shotgun

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm playing AC Origins and the horseback combat sucks. It always devolves into you and the enemy chasing each other in a tight circle until you get close enough to hit each other

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

1stGear posted:

To make this even worse, by this point in the story, you've already killed a giant scary reborn boss. The Company of Heroes is demanding you prove that you can do something that you've already done.

The thing about that, I think, is that Ifrit is a different kind of danger than Titan. Ifrit is mostly a fairly sudden direct threat to lives; he's like a magical grizzly bear attack. Sure, you need to get that poo poo under control, but it's mostly just a direct threat to the lives of surrounding people.

Titan, though, is a walking natural disaster. You can't just be scared of the fact he'll punch you, or tempering (which, incidentally, we never see Titan do); he is literally going to tear the earth apart in combat. You need to be a lot more ready for Titan than Ifrit, because suddenly everything around you is a threat when you're fighting Titan, including the ground beneath your feet. The Company of Heroes had to learn that the hard way, and need to make sure you're ready for it.

...incidentally, while writing that, I remembered that Titan was one of the two primals cut out of 1.0 because of the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami; the other was, naturally, Leviathan. So the threat of the walking landslide might have been a little more real on release over there, it didn't just read as 'fight a giant rock-sumo'.

DoubleNegative posted:

The Company of Heroes stuff is even worse when you realize that the whole time, this huge threat is a time sensitive one. The last time this threat came around, the Company only succeeded by basically throwing bodies at it until they overcame it. This threat kills people indiscriminately. And so while you're being yanked around for the sake of a laugh, you're just remembering that you were told to do this quickly.

Last July the developers went through A Realm Reborn and removed a bunch of quests that were pure fluff. Almost nothing got removed from the Company of Heroes arc. It was left intact.

This is mostly because, when cutting out filler, the Company of Heroes is the most fiendish kind of content: the fake filler. It pretends to be wasting your time, but actually spends a lot of it introducing characters, concepts and locations that end up being important.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 17, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

thecluckmeme posted:

this sounds dope as hell. what's the mod called?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

I'm playing AC Origins and the horseback combat sucks. It always devolves into you and the enemy chasing each other in a tight circle until you get close enough to hit each other

It’s the same in Valhalla and half the time someone in the ground will knock you on your rear end. Or maybe I’m just not good at horse combat

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I keep thinking you guys are poo poo talking the RTS Company of Heroes and it’s messing with me.

Death Stranding mid game spoilers They gave me a knife I can use to cut the BT cords, sweet. They immediately took away my baby so I can barely see the BTs anymore so getting close enough to use the knife is a stupid idea, not sweet.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Sep 17, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sally posted:

this sounds dope as hell. what's the mod called?

I don't know for sure, I've been following stream VODs from Time Warriors. I'll grab a link to the first vid

https://youtu.be/cD6A9ohuv-E

E: another thing to note that makes the mod awesome is it randomizes ammo type, so you can have a Gloo gun that can automatic-fire 9mm bullets, or a crossbow that shoots the psychic blast power, or even a shotgun that fires a dozen recycler charges at your feet, killing you instantly

bawk has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Sep 17, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

All I need is a Darksiders with all 4 horsemen, and for it to be a massive wholesome huggathon as we see these immortal death machines actually do really like each other.

Also I need a resolution for 1s ludicrous cliffhanger

I think they have no idea how to pay that off, hence ten years of games that lead up to the same time 1 finishes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think they have no idea how to pay that off, hence ten years of games that lead up to the same time 1 finishes.

It's easy - they loving kill everyone.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Things like this and prequels in general and reboots after cliffhangers/sequel hooks in particular should be illegal.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I want to be able to speed up cut scenes. I still want to get the full story but let me toggle between normal and double speed.

Give me the ability to rewind them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The problem with making anything pay off in the world of financially successful game franchises is that you'd presumably have to stop making more games for awhile, so there's never any real incentive to close the book on a series unless the creators have full artistic control.