Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

lmao this is a great ep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

everdave posted:

No one in a right mind thinks a screen to adjust volume is better than a physical knob, unless they are a physical knob

That sounds self defeating

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

lmao this is a great ep

I can never decide which is my favorite one

the guy who pulled apart the engine and painted everything yellow is up there for sure

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah, everyone knows red paint is at least 5% faster than yellow.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Mozi posted:

Yeah, everyone knows red paint is at least 5% faster than yellow.

But yellow gives you more Dakka

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rotten posted:

Must be a Subaru thing. They were always in my wife’s forester.

I think it was Mazda something-or-others that spiders loved and they would make webs in the evap lines, completely blocking them.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Guinness posted:

Fumigate it again, Terminix
:lol:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

ssb posted:

I think it was Mazda something-or-others that spiders loved and they would make webs in the evap lines, completely blocking them.

Mazda 6s apparently, there was a certain species of spider that just loved the smell of petrol.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ran out of talent on the expressway

https://twitter.com/Axfp_8/status/1629789864324653062?t=IxOJNn_K_Fk9OCqv2yX_8A&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

slidebite posted:

Needs some longhorns mounted on the front

Once took a Texan to a wedding...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Why the hell does a stereo in a cargo van need Facebook built in? :psyduck:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

To use marketplace to sell white boxed speakers out of the back of the van.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

STR posted:

Why the hell does a stereo in a cargo van need Facebook built in? :psyduck:

this must have been during the 'infotainment' craze when all car manufacturers were trying to cram as MUCH useless poo poo into their head units as possible, because the KIDS wanted to be able to check their facebook (marketing folks and engineers forget about cellphones) while waiting to pick someone up outside the local hotdog place.. OH poo poo JIM we need voice control for maps too so they can say HEY FORD WHERE CAN I GET A GLIZZY YO

queue much laughing from the suits in the room

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or someone jailbroke the head unit to bypass the manufacturer stuff and exposed the android stuff behind it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This goes kind of beyond the thread but with the discussion of Toyota wiring and now head units, does anyone make a worthwhile replacement for the Prius big giant touchscreen interface?

I've got a 2017 Prius Prime and while I love the car overall I really hate the giant touch panel, doubly so during early morning sun and its a perfect reflector for sunlight right under my sunglasses while driving etc.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That Works posted:

This goes kind of beyond the thread but with the discussion of Toyota wiring and now head units, does anyone make a worthwhile replacement for the Prius big giant touchscreen interface?

I've got a 2017 Prius Prime and while I love the car overall I really hate the giant touch panel, doubly so during early morning sun and its a perfect reflector for sunlight right under my sunglasses while driving etc.

is it a higher trim level that gets you that big touch screen?

it's possible someone with a lower trim level would be looking for the big touch screen upgrade, you might be able to work out a swap deal with them but you'd have to wade through Prius forums and the like

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blue On Blue posted:

is it a higher trim level that gets you that big touch screen?

it's possible someone with a lower trim level would be looking for the big touch screen upgrade, you might be able to work out a swap deal with them but you'd have to wade through Prius forums and the like

iirc the Prime versions start with 1-2 higher levels of trim from the base.

That might be possible but before I get too into the weeds I'd like to know if a retrofit was even possible / feasible or if its way bigger of an undertaking than I'd expect. I figure if there was someone doing it aftermarket there'd be some literature or a video on it. Cursory searching a few weeks ago when I was annoyed about it didn't show anything promising but I wasn't trying too hard.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That Works posted:

iirc the Prime versions start with 1-2 higher levels of trim from the base.

That might be possible but before I get too into the weeds I'd like to know if a retrofit was even possible / feasible or if its way bigger of an undertaking than I'd expect. I figure if there was someone doing it aftermarket there'd be some literature or a video on it. Cursory searching a few weeks ago when I was annoyed about it didn't show anything promising but I wasn't trying too hard.

Well , my experience is typically people want to retrofit the bigger better screen. Not retrofit a downgrade so to speak

So there will be tones of info on putting a larger screen in there I bet , but going backwards I wouldn’t see a problem you just need the hardware it will just slot in

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Or someone jailbroke the head unit to bypass the manufacturer stuff and exposed the android stuff behind it

Nissan didn't change a drat thing between 2013 and 2021 on these things, I doubt it has the power to run Android.

That Works posted:

https://www.crutchfield.com will tell you what you need to know about what can go in.

Swapping anything factory in might require Toyota-specific tools to pair the hardware to the car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 27, 2023

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well the real consideration you have to deal with is that head units on modern cars have a number of vehicle settings buried in the interface...so without knowing the specifics about your vehicle, could you live without being able to change those settings?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://twitter.com/taylorogan/status/1628570453995589635

Cyberwedge not included

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Well the real consideration you have to deal with is that head units on modern cars have a number of vehicle settings buried in the interface...so without knowing the specifics about your vehicle, could you live without being able to change those settings?

You can sometimes get a component that will enable that stuff, like the idatalink maestro can often enable climate control etc on aftermarket radios that support it. I have one of those to enable the aftermarket radio to work with the Harmon Kardon stuff that I didn't want to remove, it also syncs with OBDII stuff which is nice to check tire pressures and so forth. So, depending on your car and aftermarket radio, it may be possible to not lose anything.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:catstare:

https://twitter.com/JacobGRacing18/status/1630273453218742272?t=9zX9l2BKa-yRE3PJQdEg9g&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Remember how bad Group B understeer was? Well lets bring that back"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

because of how terrible twitter embeds are about cutting off the good part, lets see what the actual image is:

e: lmao that actually rules. wrong thread. it sucks and it knows it, which coupled with the sound and the fury it must produce, makes it awesome.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm no purist, but I'd say it only rules if the original engine was ruined or if it went to making sure another one cool rear end car stay on the road. If it was in working order, but got sold for scrap, that's no good

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm no purist, but I'd say it only rules if the original engine was ruined or if it went to making sure another one cool rear end car stay on the road. If it was in working order, but got sold for scrap, that's no good

it's a subaru. what are the chances it had a good motor

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
We live in the future: https://www.thedrive.com/news/future-fords-could-repossess-themselves-and-drive-away-if-you-miss-payments

quote:

The patent document was submitted to the United States Patent Office in August 2021 but it was formally published Feb. 23. It's titled "Systems and Methods to Repossess a Vehicle." It describes several ways to make the life of somebody who has missed several car payments harder.

It explicitly says the system, which could be installed on any future vehicle in the automaker's lineup with a data connection would be capable of "[disabling] a functionality of one or more components of the vehicle." Everything from the engine to the air conditioning. For vehicles with autonomous or semi-autonomous driving capability, the system could "move the vehicle from a first spot to a second spot that is more convenient for a tow truck to tow the vehicle... move the vehicle from the premises of the owner to a location such as, for example, the premises of the repossession agency," or, if the lending institution considers the "financial viability of executing a repossession procedure" to be unjustifiable, the vehicle could drive itself to the junkyard.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Raluek posted:

because of how terrible twitter embeds are about cutting off the good part, lets see what the actual image is:

e: lmao that actually rules. wrong thread. it sucks and it knows it, which coupled with the sound and the fury it must produce, makes it awesome.

Took me like ten seconds of confused squinting to realize those two grey objects are bollards and not part of the build

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Raluek posted:

Right/Wrong thread vote time!

First to 10 and I have no idea how this one gonna turn out

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
im willing to stand by this one whichever way it goes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

wrong thread, thats loving cool

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Right thread, I don't care if it's a good engine or not that's a loving trash-rear end swap.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

right thread, the piping is not aesthetic

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wrong thread that thing rules.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'll admit to being a fan of ratty builds, but nah, this is just janky af. Right thread.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
An argument could be made for both, that is awesomely terrible.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Wrong thread. If the turbos weren't there it would be impossible to keep the weight shifted back long enough to have a usable F/R balance

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its right at home with that execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Right thread because when I first saw that photo I heard the Just Rolled In guy's voice in my head describing the aftermath.