Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So who’s taking over after this dumpster fire scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
In cases like this where it's clearly a longstanding pattern of behaviour, I always have to wonder what caused the Sexual Assault of Damocles to drop

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I'm not as familiar with rules around riding associations and party candidates and such... Brown says he wants to stay on as an MPP while he clears his name. I can't see the party keeping him as a candidate, but can they parachute someone else in at this point? He's probably going to lose. They were so quick, like three hours quick, to get him out of the leadership, but will they try to get him off the ballot, too?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

i just wanted to bbe a premier
:qqsay:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

So Brown has resigned as leader.
https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/956413225532260352
Congrats to Doug Ford for his upcoming OPC leadership and of course a dismayed sigh that this does no long lasting harm to the loving party

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that was fast

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013

vyelkin posted:

She's good at purging people who don't support her from the ranks of the ONDP.

How big a purge are we talking?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lol.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/A_Strong_Canada/status/956424048539525120

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Now there's a name we all know and trust.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jeez if you told me Wynne was going to get re-elected six months ago I'd have called you an idiot. Ontario is straight hosed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/Banks_Todd/status/956371492815757312

Oh nothing, just a public utility retweeting some false flag gibberish

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/Banks_Todd/status/956371492815757312

Oh nothing, just a public utility retweeting some false flag gibberish

That has to be a script error

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That has to be a script error

Or whoever runs Hydro Ottawa Twitter thought they were retweeting from their own personal account.

Presence
Jul 29, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

So who’s taking over after this dumpster fire scandal.

Sam Oosterhoff

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

quote:

The woman said she did not report it to authorities or otherwise because she didn’t know what options she had, and tried to move on.

"I didn’t think that there was any sort of recourse that I could take because I did think this is something that in maybe in another job, I would go to maybe HR about. But I didn’t feel, I didn’t even know who HR was in this context. Particularly being in a constituency office. I mean, I just didn’t know what to do."

This is always the part of the story that is somehow the most terrifying and infuriating. Not the act itself but the feeling of total helplessness and bewilderment when the victim wonders if there's anything they can even do about it after the fact and realizing, no, there's not. It's coming to light now, but if he hadn't ended up becoming the man who might take charge of the province, would the story be a big enough hook for anyone to care? It's still apparently not bad enough for him to fully lose his job.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Well, seems to be catching: /2018/01/24/nova-scotia-s-progressive-conservative-leader-steps-down-for-personal-reasons.html

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Link is broken

Brian Mulroney's daughter taking over for a disgraced leader stepping down too early :discourse:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heckuva job, Brownie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh god please let the next one be Jason Kenney.

I ask for so little...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

I ask for so little...

Kellie would be much more entertaining

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

I ask for so little...

Jason Kenney would have to be interested in women first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

Jason Kenney would have to be interested in women first.

He could harass men/boys.

Or get caught smoking meth with a gay prostitute, like that one Evangelical leader.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PT6A posted:

He could harass men/boys.

Or get caught smoking meth with a gay prostitute, like that one Evangelical leader.

Jason Kenney would have to be human first.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Brown, Pallister and Kenney were the 3 former MPPs that were supposed to go into Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta and reinvigorate Conservative politics. So far Brown is disgraced, Pallister won an election by default and is on pace to lose the next and Kenney is going to win in a landslide. Jason Kenney is the pinnacle of Conservative politics in Canada right now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
welp that was quick. The speed of Brown's departure says two things to me:

1) the party has more information than the media, and they knew they couldn't let him hold on because every minute he spends as leader is a minute they're not rebuilding for an election five months away;
2) he tried to stay, it became clear he had no support, and he resigned rather than get fired.

I'm sure a shitload of OPC partisans would have continued to support Brown, and will continue to support whoever the new leader ends up being (lol just lol if they actually appoint someone as permanent leader based solely on a spur-of-the-moment caucus vote, rather than some kind of democratic process), but I can imagine this sinking their popularity a fair amount. People will think "well Wynne hasn't done a great job but at least her party wasn't building their entire image around a sexual predator for the last two years".

Eox posted:

In cases like this where it's clearly a longstanding pattern of behaviour, I always have to wonder what caused the Sexual Assault of Damocles to drop

I would say it's pretty clearly the new cultural climate around sexual harassment. The #MeToo campaign and women seeing a number of alleged sexual predators actually facing serious consequences to their lives and livelihoods based on allegations of sexual assault has made a lot more women willing to come forward and tell their stories with the understanding that people might actually believe them even if they have little or no hard evidence, and has made the people surrounding alleged predators a lot more willing to kick them to the curb rather than try to defend them as the targets of baseless allegations or political smears.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I really need Doug Ford to take this as his cue to dive back into provincial politics. I know at this point that even he has been made to understand that he doesn't have the support to do this, but I need him to do it anyway. Please Doug, for Ford Nation, take a crack at the OPC leadership.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

infernal machines posted:

I really need Doug Ford to take this as his cue to dive back into provincial politics. I know at this point that even he has been made to understand that he doesn't have the support to do this, but I need him to do it anyway. Please Doug, for Ford Nation, take a crack at the OPC leadership.

While I want this too, I'm not ready for him to drop his mayoral bid where all his policies are communicated through ice sculptures.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Pallister won an election by default and is on pace to lose the next

How do you think he's going to lose? Sure, he's made some unpopular decisions, but his base of rurals and uneducated are never going to vote for Kinew and the provincial Liberals have only just reached the point where they can actually pay their leader so they're pretty far away from running a winning campaign.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

How do you think he's going to lose? Sure, he's made some unpopular decisions, but his base of rurals and uneducated are never going to vote for Kinew and the provincial Liberals have only just reached the point where they can actually pay their leader so they're pretty far away from running a winning campaign.

Please don't say these things :negative:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

littleorv posted:

Please don't say these things :negative:

I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/jamie-baillie-resigns-inappropriate-behaviour-1.4501742

He was already a lame duck, but seems weird that this and Brown happened so close together.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Arivia posted:

Come on, they’re done for. An interim leader is like having no leader in an election. The only other option is to have a new leader elected in caucus, which still leaves you with 0 time to make a new platform and 0 ability to sell the old one. Even if, Brown has been holding riding associations so tightly bound to him they will splinter and infight like crazy without him to keep them in line. They were selling Brown and Brown only for the election. It was all about him. This is it. This is the election.

It wouldn’t be if the NDP could actually make something better happen, but they can’t and they won’t.

does that hurt you that much when you can still run on not being kathleen wynne

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

PT6A posted:

I ask for so little...

It's going to be Kent Hehr actually.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-davos-wraps-1.4503098

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Elections are won and lost in Winnipeg(55% of the population in the province, 61% in the CMA). PC support has nosedived in the city(41% to 29%) after the whole ER closing fiasco and it's not going to improve before the election. Most likely scenario right now is that the PCs are the governing minority in 2020, worst case the Liberals find their legs somehow and split enough of the vote with NDP that the PCs sweep everything again I guess.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
There was a gay Harper cabinet member who was famous for sexually harassing young campaign staffers while I was in Ottawa (so around 2009), but it wasn't Jason Kenney...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hahaha, it totally is, isn't it?

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he probably did it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Elections are won and lost in Winnipeg(55% of the population in the province, 61% in the CMA). PC support has nosedived in the city(41% to 29%) after the whole ER closing fiasco and it's not going to improve before the election. Most likely scenario right now is that the PCs are the governing minority in 2020, worst case the Liberals find their legs somehow and split enough of the vote with NDP that the PCs sweep everything again I guess.

I hope so but don't underestimate how easily the support of dummies could be won back with a 1% PST cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

PT6A posted:

Hahaha, it totally is, isn't it?

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he probably did it.

With his behaviour over the past few months, I'd be surprised if it doesn't eventually uncover something more serious.