Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

chitoryu12 posted:

For comparison, SARS had a mortality rate of 9.6%. There's currently no indication that coronavirus is going to actually be some kind of Spanish Flu epidemic depopulating cities, except for what people hysterically post on Twitter. The way the media reports it, you'd think Wuhan looked like a level in The Last of Us right now.

This coronavirus spreads much easier than SARS ever did. 50% of people are asymptomatic or have a slight cold and spread it during the entire course of their infection. It also has a 7-14 day incubation period before you manifest symptoms during which you’re also contagious. It’s why it’s R0 or rate of transmission is so high, nearly 3.5. The flu has an R0 of 1. 25% of everyone infected need to spend over a week in a hospital to get better, which overwhelms most hospital systems very quickly. This is why China as of two weeks ago was asking the WHO to get countries to start sending them hospital supplies because they are spent. Also why they built two 1,200 bed hospitals in a weeks time. Both of these are already at capacity.

Also, the streets of Wuhan DO look like the last of us:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1225504703888461824?s=21

https://twitter.com/tomthunkitsmind/status/1225971834652418048?s=21

Edit: REDACTED

https://twitter.com/darrenplymouth/status/1224985964445126656?s=21

Blind Rasputin has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
I have a typical "goon body" so even if the Wuhan Flu only kills the old, feeble, and already sick then I'm pretty hosed.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

Please link me to the internet where people aren't constantly melting down about the destruction of global civilization over this 2% mortality rate virus.

Performatively shaming people for not talking about a thing that everyone is already talking about constantly is one of those dumb attention-seeking engagement tricks like telling people that someone doesn't want them to know something that should always be met with an immediate block every time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Blind Rasputin posted:

This coronavirus spreads much easier than SARS ever did. 50% of people are asymptomatic or have a slight cold and spread it during the entire course of their infection. It also has a 7-14 day incubation period before you manifest symptoms during which you’re also contagious. It’s why it’s R0 or rate of transmission is so high, nearly 3.5. The flu has an R0 of 1. 25% of everyone infected need to spend over a week in a hospital to get better, which overwhelms most hospital systems very quickly. This is why China as of two weeks ago was asking the WHO to get countries to start sending them hospital supplies because they are spent. Also why they built two 1,200 bed hospitals in a weeks time. Both of these are already at capacity.

To be fair, most of the country has been on self imposed quarantine since around New Year’s. Mrs. Burd’s folks are out that way and have had a truck parked across the entrance to their village with signs up asking people to kindly gently caress off. There are some super dank meme material coming out of the country right now due to the sheer number of folks that are sitting around being bored as almighty gently caress. A decent amount of art as well for that matter. Apparently folks and the party are dropping off free food so no one is going out to prevent further spread of infection.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

look meme thread im gonna need someone to tell me definitively whether i should be trembling in terror or unconcerned about this whole virus thing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/TPWUAA5.mp4

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I just know the evac’d the peace corps volunteers from China and they don’t usually do that unless things are on the cusp of turbo hosed

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Then again, it’s also just a precautionary action in the event things get too hosed

So maybe it’ll be fine?

Idk meme thread, I just don’t know

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Try splitting the difference and trembling unconcernedly?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Also why they built two 1,200 bed hospitals in a weeks time. Both of these are already at capacity.

You mean the fake hospitals?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

My opinion of it is it’s literally, “not great not terrible.”

Just watch the news and check Twitter like once every few days. If cases actually do start picking up in the US then wear a mask in public places (please wear it correctly it should be firmly sealed around the nose and cheeks and chin) and use hand sanitizer after touching anything and wash your hands often. Do not touch your face in public places.

But the quarantine actions are legion and may actually be working to keep it contained. I feel there’s a significant chance they keep it from going wildfire in other countries. It’s also very helpful that China is actually cooperating this time around.

What you can do now is go buy masks rates for droplet and cough protection, hand sanitizer, maybe latex gloves. Masks are already sold out in Australia due to wildfires and now coronavirus. The entire country is simply out of them. Same as a few other places. Their prices will likely continue to rise as the world’s supply gets absorbed. So buy them early

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

what th e gently caress

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

My opinion of it is it’s literally, “not great not terrible.”

Just watch the news and check Twitter like once every few days. If cases actually do start picking up in the US then wear a mask in public places (please wear it correctly it should be firmly sealed around the nose and cheeks and chin) and use hand sanitizer after touching anything and wash your hands often. Do not touch your face in public places.

But the quarantine actions are legion and may actually be working to keep it contained. I feel there’s a significant chance they keep it from going wildfire in other countries. It’s also very helpful that China is actually cooperating this time around.

What you can do now is go buy masks rates for droplet and cough protection, hand sanitizer, maybe latex gloves. Masks are already sold out in Australia due to wildfires and now coronavirus. The entire country is simply out of them. Same as a few other places. Their prices will likely continue to rise as the world’s supply gets absorbed. So buy them early

Also the masks are probably made in China lol.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Flavius Aetass posted:

what th e gently caress

It's loving Guy Mann what did you expect?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hey, fake hospitals are better than no hospitals.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Can you not post a link to a dead body in the middle of the street thanks

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
You have to give China credit, in the span of like two months the internet went from protesting China's online censorship by calling their leader a gay cartoon character to praising China's online censorship for doing so well at suppressing to flow of misinformation about the coronavirus. America wishes it could sway public opinion online about its suppression of civil liberties that easily.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somfin posted:

China is throwing Wuhan into martial law and jailing scientists researching the thing but yeah coronavirus (which is actually sars-2) is definitely nothing to worry about

Ok I'm worrying about it now what. Oh nothing changed, I'll go back to not worrying about it.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

zoux posted:

Ok I'm worrying about it now what. Oh nothing changed, I'll go back to not worrying about it.

This, but for climate change.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

It might be something that's worth knowing about and keeping an eye on rather than dismissing it because you're pretty sure it's got a "low" mortality rate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Somfin posted:

It might be something that's worth knowing about and keeping an eye on rather than dismissing it because you're pretty sure it's got a "low" mortality rate

No it isn't, stop spreading misery.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1228078658071515137?s=21

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:emptyquote:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I am tired of these posts. Of these derails.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I posted some old sbmc comics to the wrong thread but cba to move it, don't @ me

alexandriao posted:

I dunno why but before the nazi talk I was reminded of some early smbc strips so here

e: I can't believe I didn't post the best one

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say that the number of ads for Bloomberg on my 8 year old's YouTube is bizarre. Three ads for Mike every video. Even my kid is sick of him. (He watches youtube ln the xbox where I don't have ad blocker)

I'm voting Bloomberg right after I finish my session of Raid: Shadow Legends

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Sawyer_DAA/status/1227694460626182144

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://twitter.com/tomthunkitsmind/status/1225971834652418048?s=21

https://twitter.com/ischinar/status/1226330222179553280?s=21

https://twitter.com/darrenplymouth/status/1224985964445126656?s=21

A+ macros and memes there thanks for the footage of a dead person on the street

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

It took me way too long to realize that Yakuza is just the supportive buff guys meme

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You know what, I'm glad Tumblr is dying

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

BillyC posted:

I'm fairly certain teenage stepdad would choke himself to death before promoting bloomy

https://twitter.com/TeenageStepdad/status/1228077526720765957

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

So the meme wars ARE real?!?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Holy poo poo it's a video

Some motherfucking effort went into this

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Holy poo poo it's a video

Some motherfucking effort went into this

Stepdad's been doing these for a while, a bunch of their new work is gently-animated video stuff.

E: an example:

https://twitter.com/TeenageStepdad/status/1118176565337055235

Somfin has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I can't remember who said it first, but the Silmarillion really should be titled "Feanor ruins everything"