Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Clawtopsy posted:

Does anyone have an idea on how to sculpt mutated/streched flesh, like the old Obliterators used to have? I'm trying to cover gaps on a Bullgryn that's becoming an abberant.

Is this what you're looking for?
http://fantasygames.com.pl/nurgle-daemonic-skin/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

My FLGS will have their contrast paints in Friday, so hopefully I can lay my hands on the ones I’m interested in. I just want the wraithbone primer, blood angel red, then a gray to base coat the weapons. I might get jiggy with it and nab a few misc. colors I’m interested in, depending on the availability.

Hopefully I can put in a hold on that plastic sister sculpt coming out for Warhammer day. Generally the FLGS is cool with stuff like that.

I have a question...how many coats of paint do you usually need with your airbrush to get decent coverage? I did an initial coat on my three repressors and the coverage is currently a bit spotty. I’m thinking I’ll need at least one more, maybe two.

Also, thanks to everyone who suggested using Vallejo flow improver as the ONLY reagent to thin my airbrush paints. It’s way easier than using water mixed with thinner and the final result is better too.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

That's amazing, thank you

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Kill Team folks, i have a rules question:

I'm building an Ork list for elites and want to make my entire force Freebooterz, and after asking for list criticism, someone is insisting that only Flash Gitz can benefit from the Freebooterz kulture, even if i'm specifically drawing all units from the Freebooterz klan so everyone benefits.

I cannot find anything that supports his argument, and there's not an FAQ for Elites that i can find. Is he right and i'm missing something? Or am i correct and he's just nistaken?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

TheBigAristotle posted:

Give me Mordians! I know their rules suck, but they look cool!

Give me Tallarn! I know their rules rule, and they look cool!

It irks me how many variations of Imperial Guard there are, but the only ones that get sold consistently are the Cadians, Catachans, and (if you're going ForgeWorld) Krieg.

I remember one of the other guard units being sold as a limited time thing not too long ago (I think it was the Vostroyan).

Aside from Tallarn and Mordian, I'd also want there to be Praetorian Guard minis, if only because I think it would be a fun contrast of having posh-looking Brits in pith-helmets versus Chaos Space Marines.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that i had set a goal of trying to get a model on the GW website. I think that i have a chance with this Lord Discordant. If anyone wanted to head over to instagram @speckled_jim_40k and chuck him a like it couldnt hurt my chances. Apologies for the shameless plug.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Speckled Jim posted:

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that i had set a goal of trying to get a model on the GW website. I think that i have a chance with this Lord Discordant. If anyone wanted to head over to instagram @speckled_jim_40k and chuck him a like it couldnt hurt my chances. Apologies for the shameless plug.

This dude is cool I'll like it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

It irks me how many variations of Imperial Guard there are, but the only ones that get sold consistently are the Cadians, Catachans, and (if you're going ForgeWorld) Krieg.

I remember one of the other guard units being sold as a limited time thing not too long ago (I think it was the Vostroyan).

Aside from Tallarn and Mordian, I'd also want there to be Praetorian Guard minis, if only because I think it would be a fun contrast of having posh-looking Brits in pith-helmets versus Chaos Space Marines.

All you need to make those style Praetorians is regular Cadians and some pith helmet heads. I use Victoria miniatures heads for mine, but there are a couple other guys making pith helmet heads.

you can also get entire squads of several look alike regiments like Tallaran, Mordian, Penal Legion etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

Tallarn and Vostroyan were both sold recently, as were Kasrkin. But I agree its lame there's different designs of imperial guard but they only really sell Cadians. You can be any shade of olive drab you want but other factions are much harder to build.

I have a couple Tallarn squads and I love them. Metal figures though, need plastic updates.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Ilor posted:

I only used the Mordians as sergeants in my Penal Legion. The troopers themselves were swole, rock-breakin' motherfuckers, best exemplified by the old metal Catachans:

That's an awesome idea that I might steal at some point in the future. It's a cool contrast.

Zaphod42 posted:

Tallarn and Vostroyan were both sold recently, as were Kasrkin. But I agree its lame there's different designs of imperial guard but they only really sell Cadians. You can be any shade of olive drab you want but other factions are much harder to build.

I have a couple Tallarn squads and I love them. Metal figures though, need plastic updates.

Did somebody say Vostroyans? :v:

I don't have nearly as many of these awesome dudes as I'd like. I'm also afraid of not being able to give the Vostroyan paint job a proper treatment. :ohdear:

Someday.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ilor posted:

I only used the Mordians as sergeants in my Penal Legion. The troopers themselves were swole, rock-breakin' motherfuckers, best exemplified by the old metal Catachans:

These look drat cool! I miss penal legion, lthough realistically they fit fine as vets, troops or conscripts. Maybe they should be a future Regimental Doctrine type.

On the subject of IG infantry types in general, I would absolutely go nuts for refreshed infantry kits. So much scope for an update, even if it is just refreshing the rather oddly scaled Cadians. But they could do a proper interesting basic infantry kit crammed with options (a la genestealer cult infantry) which would serve for half the units in the IG codex.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Cross-posting:

Skails posted:

Finished up an officer for my Certusian Charnel Guard:

And a custom grenade launcher for my Excoriators:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skails posted:

Cross-posting:

Looks awesome. I love how you did the grenade launcher.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Astartes Part Four has just been released.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gunder posted:

"I'm not touching you", psychic gun battle edition!

But for real that was very cool. I'm always blown away how many fan films look so good while GW has only released that horrible Ultramarines movie.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Bucnasti posted:

All you need to make those style Praetorians is regular Cadians and some pith helmet heads. I use Victoria miniatures heads for mine, but there are a couple other guys making pith helmet heads.

you can also get entire squads of several look alike regiments like Tallaran, Mordian, Penal Legion etc.

I remember running across Victoria Miniatures or something when reading up on the other IG variants.

I've been meaning to ask what the go-to places are for alternate mini makers/customized bits. There seems to be dozens of them. The one I remember looking through a while ago in regards to Imperial Guard was Anvil Industry (https://anvilindustry.co.uk/). Another was Wargame Exclusive (https://wargameexclusive.com/), which has some neat looking stuff.

I'd also like to see if there's a place that makes space marine minis akin to the Mk.II style armor, since that doesn't seem to be available on Forgeworld anymore.

I should note that I'm in the US, and it seems like a lot of the sites are based out of the UK. I'm sure they ship outside of the UK, but I imagine that's a lot more expensive when it comes to ordering.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 13, 2019

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Gunder posted:

There have been a good number of interesting 40k fan and official projects but in terms of raw production value and attention to detail this really takes the cake. It's clear this guy gets 40k and Space Marines beyond surface level gothic heroic yelling mans, beyond anything even the big budget games have managed. The opposite one-armed cybernetic psyker twins are especially great, not some carbon copy of classic 40k villains but entirely plausible and in character with the setting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I loved that the frozen bolts' propellant continued to burn until they popped like firecrackers.

That's an oft overlooked detail that really reinforces that they've done the reading.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the little sound details, that grinding gear noise when the glass on the one guy's eye cracked under pressure and the machinery underneath moved around

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was also good that he survived losing an eye. Typically that would have been shorthand for a messy off-camera death.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

I liked the little sound details, that grinding gear noise when the glass on the one guy's eye cracked under pressure and the machinery underneath moved around

If you pause the video you can see the hex texture of the lens.

The attention to detail in these shorts is astounding.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Z the IVth posted:

If you pause the video you can see the hex texture of the lens.

The attention to detail in these shorts is astounding.

They drop their bolters on the railing and hold the top of the guns down to keep the recoil from kicking the barrel up. I literally can't properly express how good this stuff is.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I loved that part as well. I only discovered this series after this latest update and I probably watched the series 3 times in a row and another few later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gunder posted:

drat impressive animation for a fan project. Editing feels a little off-beat sometimes though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It'll be interesting to watch the whole thing once it's done all at once

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

DandyLion posted:

They drop their bolters on the railing and hold the top of the guns down to keep the recoil from kicking the barrel up. I literally can't properly express how good this stuff is.

Full auto shooting with bolters is pretty scary.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That’s some good space hams

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Max Wilco posted:

I remember running across Victoria Miniatures or something when reading up on the other IG variants.

I've been meaning to ask what the go-to places are for alternate mini makers/customized bits. There seems to be dozens of them. The one I remember looking through a while ago in regards to Imperial Guard was Anvil Industry (https://anvilindustry.co.uk/). Another was Wargame Exclusive (https://wargameexclusive.com/), which has some neat looking stuff.

I'd also like to see if there's a place that makes space marine minis akin to the Mk.II style armor, since that doesn't seem to be available on Forgeworld anymore.

I should note that I'm in the US, and it seems like a lot of the sites are based out of the UK. I'm sure they ship outside of the UK, but I imagine that's a lot more expensive when it comes to ordering.

Mad Robot are a US-based bits company that are good for IG.

Kromlech do some MkII-style bits, but they're based in the EU.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Gunder posted:

Is that the guy GW hired to make a movie or was that someone else?

Most impressed by the sound design, its easy to overlook and its usually what makes fan projects fall on their face a little.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Random Integer posted:

Is that the guy GW hired to make a movie or was that someone else?

Most impressed by the sound design, its easy to overlook and its usually what makes fan projects fall on their face a little.

That was the Helsreach guy, I think.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This Astartes series is awesome but it lacks the nasally home recorded "BROTHERS FOR THE EMPEROR" I crave.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pretty dope videos but I thought bolters were caseless rocket propelled rounds.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

They got the rocket rounds right at least. You're right there's shells and I don't think marine weapons are supposed to have them, but ah well.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

That hasn't been true for ages

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Booley posted:

That hasn't been true for ages

Uh huh

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Casings are cool and any kind of dual stage propulsion makes a million times more sense for short range firefights than a dumb gyrojet that you can stop by putting your hand in front of the barrel. Caseless ammo is boring, and GW clearly retconned the caseless bit by the early 2000s with all the art showing a small starter casing at the back of most bolts.

I love the fact that he went out of his way to give the Bolters a heavy double action trigger pull and note the 30+1 ammo counter after reloading.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

30+1 is a really weird round count to have after reloading. Like he shot till the second to last round, stopped and swapped mags?

Anyways the video is cool and I hope he makes more.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Or shot off literally any number of rounds off before emptying the magazine?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bolters absolutely should not be double-action either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GoLambo posted:

Or shot off literally any number of rounds off before emptying the magazine?

He's a space marine, he only left one.