Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

I registered for my first dance game tournament! It’s called Winter Groove and it’ll be in Vegas on January 12-13. I’m getting better every day but the competition is so stacked.

Curious to hear rhythm game goon tournament stories if you have them!

I came 3rd in a DDR tourney when Extreme was still pretty new. Completely hosed the qualifier so I got seeded pretty low and the higher spots kinda sorted themselves out so I could sneak in from the bottom. It was a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How do dance game tournaments work? I assume it's a head to head thing over x amount of songs on a specific difficulty? Presumably the best score wins I guess?

Do you get like, picks and bans? Or are they fixed song lists for each round?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

old school tournaments you would basically both pick a song, you have to pass your own song, if you both get a better score at your own song but not the other song, there's a random tiebreaker. occasionally people would lose matches by stepping off the pad after their opponent concedes, which is bad, you have to pass your own song or it's a loss

BITE runs rhythm game tournaments in a more modern format and has their rules and systems documented here but tl;dr seems to mostly be random song pools with alternating vetos deciding the eventual result. looks like people largely dropped the "life bar pass" requirement as well

pools seem to be no/fewer vetos but best overall score across the random songs graduates you out of the pool

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Generally people like using Cathadan's site (https://ddr.tools) to create random draws and then players alternately pick/ban songs from the draw. Often times, online tournaments determine the songs for their rounds via the same draw mechanism (just no bans). Most everyone just uses EX score to determine winners of each song, online tournaments usually use combined EX across all songs in the round.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

These days tournaments use round robin waterfall pools where the winner (and sometimes second place) of each pool move up into the next one, followed by an eventual top 8 double elimination bracket.

This is how Winter Groove will be run, as well as with the protect/veto card draw others already explained.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Weird Pumpkin posted:

How do dance game tournaments work? I assume it's a head to head thing over x amount of songs on a specific difficulty? Presumably the best score wins I guess?

Do you get like, picks and bans? Or are they fixed song lists for each round?

Kind of. This is my experience with a few Pump it Up tournaments all mixed into one post. I shared my experience with tournaments awhile back in this thread but the too long didn't read/look part of this is that you basically get in a bracket. You perform the songs that is put in front of you. If you choose a song that is much more difficult than what the other opponent can do then it's an automatic win so long as you get a stage pass. My experience with this was with singles and doubles so during singles both performers had to play the same difficulty and then compare scores. In doubles it works the same way but with two machines.

Weeks before you go you need to qualify. When you do your name gets put into a hat after you pay your entry and await instructions during the tournament day. Each player can set their own speed / AV to their comfort level. The judges count from 3 and on zero it's "Pump". The judge is responsible in a lot of times to press the song activation middle button for manner reasons.

During each performance each player gets 4 rounds in a best of 3. If the game is a tie then endurance / train songs will knock someone out eventually.

Nowadays It's a little different. But for Pump it really depends on location as well as performers. In a lot of ways the rules stay the same but for more professional play there are stricter guidelines. I would like to participate in one more tournament before I get too old.

Edit:

12 rats tied together posted:

BITE runs rhythm game tournaments in a more modern format and has their rules and systems documented here but tl;dr seems to mostly be random song pools with alternating vetos deciding the eventual result. looks like people largely dropped the "life bar pass" requirement as well

I missed this. I should have just linked this for Pump it Up XX / Phoenix.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 29, 2023

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

dropping the life bar pass requirement makes sense for pump because many of the charts hate the players and want them to experience cardiac distress live on the pad

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

dropping the life bar pass requirement makes sense for pump because many of the charts hate the players and want them to experience cardiac distress live on the pad

That was during endurance rounds when deciding a tie :okboomer:

Harriet Carker posted:

I registered for my first dance game tournament! It’s called Winter Groove and it’ll be in Vegas on January 12-13. I’m getting better every day but the competition is so stacked.

Curious to hear rhythm game goon tournament stories if you have them!

Let me know when you perform. I would love to see this.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Apparently the galaxy mode songs in DDR are getting normal life gauge starting 11/30. Very psyched about this, flare gauge is just too punishing. My main R1 does not have great maintenance and I don’t have the kind of consistent accuracy to overcome any pad misfires and what it does to the gauge.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Streaming some DDR!!

https://x.com/danadamkof/status/1730116851869561085?s=46&t=B4qLSe2ummTbEtvMzIyGpA

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
So I found a new favorite Pumpsanity song. Funny thing is that someone introduced me to this song last week and I absolutely fell in love it with. It's a little dark and a bit sensitive but I thought this song has an amazing beat to it.

Hopped onto Pumpsanity to see if I had it and sure enough my eyes just about popped out of my socket. This is my first time playing it and it's a freakin blast.

Internet Yamero S14(ITG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNT_4Su00jg

And in case if anyone is curious on what this song sounds like in English. Keep in mind the song is a bit sensitive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5n-YS22tY

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Considering posting an SA-Mart listing but before I do, an interest check. I have a DAO RES 2P side that is taking up space and I'd like to sell it to a good home. One of the buttons is not securely in place but it still functions fine, just needs a bit of tinkering. Otherwise no issues. Sanwa buttons, omron switches, the works.

Having trouble finding interest in it as it's the 2P side and that's much less desirable.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I’m not too familiar with all the different DAO models, but it isn’t made so you can unscrew the key panel and flip it? I’m 2P and I had to do that with whatever model mine is.

Got some gold cab time in yesterday - 7th dan single and 6th dan double now! It was wonderful to play on a well taken care of cabinet, I just wish it wasn’t an extra 20 minute drive to get to SCM vs SHM.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

holefoods posted:

I’m not too familiar with all the different DAO models, but it isn’t made so you can unscrew the key panel and flip it? I’m 2P and I had to do that with whatever model mine is.

The RES model doesn't have that, sadly.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

https://p.eagate.573.jp/game/infinitas/2/event/ev2312tg.html

new inf songpack is out and some new leggs too

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you really gotta keep that frequency clear

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Had the Flu this past week and hopped onto my first game of the night.

(Marathon) Hyperdrive S14(ITG)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLWup8SIDnY

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Happy new year!

Through the Fire and Flames S15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVOomeWWPQA

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Been playing Stepmaniax more. I’m softening up on it some but I don’t care for how some of the charts seem to use mines as nothing but visual distraction. A lot of them are placed where you realistically wouldn’t even have your feet after a stream. I do like when there’s a hold mine on the center step and you have to avoid it, though. Feels like a fun way to force people out of playing conservatively and minimizing movement.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

IMO the only good mines I've seen in SMX are this song at about 1m20: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63fGwvZqSw&t=80s (timestamp link). Makes you do a little hop jump thing that goes with the rest of the song extremely well. The rest of them are really bad, especially Go 60 Go.

The best chart is "It Gets Better", which does not feature any mines that I remember :cheers:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I really hate mines or shock arrows period, I think they’re only fun in situations like the one you showed where they’re trying to make you hop or jump. The only DDR chart I remotely like with them is Megalovania. Any chart that weaves them into step patterns is a nightmare, partially because it’s hard to find machines that are well kept enough where the arrow doesn’t hold a split second after you lift your foot since the windows on shock arrows seem to be colossal.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Between mine filled stepcharts and Mario Maker levels that are just crammed to the brim with enemies and spikes and pits, the ability to create challenge through thoughtful application of hazards as opposed to just brute forcing it by volume seems to be a huge thing that separates amateur designers from the competent ones

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I love all time poo poo in all charts, all games. The more obnoxious the time poo poo, the more I love it. My favorite time poo poo chart is Dancing Box from itg r2112 pack, close second is I'll Give You All My Love from piu.

Post your favorite charts and why ITT. :cheers:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I love all time poo poo in all charts, all games. The more obnoxious the time poo poo, the more I love it. My favorite time poo poo chart is Dancing Box from itg r2112 pack, close second is I'll Give You All My Love from piu.

Post your favorite charts and why ITT. :cheers:

zaika has entered the chat (i hate this chart)

i cant think of what i like w obnoxious time signatures though, the games kinda paper over that

edit: sakura’s bpm change is fun, and so is beat juggling mix, but i cant think of others that are similarly fun

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 4, 2024

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

holefoods posted:

Been playing Stepmaniax more. I’m softening up on it some but I don’t care for how some of the charts seem to use mines as nothing but visual distraction. A lot of them are placed where you realistically wouldn’t even have your feet after a stream. I do like when there’s a hold mine on the center step and you have to avoid it, though. Feels like a fun way to force people out of playing conservatively and minimizing movement.

Mines generally fall into the categories of "visual distraction" or "active avoidance." A lot of times, a subset of the visual distraction mines are used to offset some piece of musical flair (a good example is the mines at 0:34 in Senorita https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLtvrLYU8ksp). For the people who haven't been playing ITG and all the homebrew offshoots for the last 20 years, even visual distraction mines can cause them to second-guess the note pattern and screw up their timing. That said, most of the mine usage that I encounter in SMX are active avoideance ones used to indicate a footswitch, like basically every mine in Bust It Out that isn't a freeze mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNIDMa2ubCs

single-mode fiber fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 4, 2024

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I really like that mines in modern ITG charting are almost exclusively used to mark tech (i.e. footswitches or forced double steps). Most charters do not use mines that are meant purely to be avoided.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I've been busy as hell and haven't had any time for DDR or IIDX or anything, so my skills are probably gonna decay again. I hope to have more free time and disposable income this year.

I played a couple rounds of SDVX a month ago and I'm still solidly in 12s, so that's good.

I'm planning to do a new PC build in a few months so I might be able to repurpose my current system as a dedicated IIDX machine. I sometimes get the urge to grind out some Random practice.

I try to lurk in these when they pop up. Thanks for doing these!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

garfield hentai posted:

Between mine filled stepcharts and Mario Maker levels that are just crammed to the brim with enemies and spikes and pits, the ability to create challenge through thoughtful application of hazards as opposed to just brute forcing it by volume seems to be a huge thing that separates amateur designers from the competent ones

i mostly agree however,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FViN6GMryY

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

I really like that mines in modern ITG charting are almost exclusively used to mark tech (i.e. footswitches or forced double steps). Most charters do not use mines that are meant purely to be avoided.

Mines in SMX are also significantly easier to avoid than they were in ITG because their triggering behavior is different. It takes long consistent pressure to actually trigger a mine in SMX, whereas ITG mines and DDR shock arrows trigger with what feels like any signal anywhere inside the window for it (in the case of DDR, it wouldn't surprise me to find that the shock arrow window is just the entire size of early Good to late Good). You can touch SMX mines but as long as you pick your foot back up relatively quickly, it won't trigger. A pattern like, say, (1) left mine + right arrow followed by (2) left arrow + right mine and then (3) down arrow, if I do (1) LR jump (2) LR jump (3) D + any jump, those mines won't trigger. Freeze mines, or pits as they're officially called, they're even more difficulty to trigger, you have to really be standing idle on that to set it off.

1 caveat to this is that ever since they introduced the per-user sensitivity option, I only play on low sensitivity. The vast majority of other SMX players who I know who are at least somewhat decent at the game all perform better on low, the ones who play on normal are all people with really slight builds, they're probably less than 140 pounds. It makes such a huge difference in how well you score to be able to play on a setting that most closely accommodates your build and playstyle, that I strongly encourage everyone to at least try out the different settings.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Haven't posted in here in a while, but been playing a lot more IIDX lately, currently 5d and pushing 9s and 10s.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

taser rates posted:

Haven't posted in here in a while, but been playing a lot more IIDX lately, currently 5d and pushing 9s and 10s.

If you're pushing 10s and clearing a few, you can almost certainly clear 6-dan, give it a shot!

7-dan is also a possibility, but The Safari :suicide:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i hope they never take the safari out of 7th dan

going strong as the true equalizer since 7th style (21 years goddamn)

for kaiden subs its always “who was a sound director for a long time” so its taka yoshitaka humer and bsb just because its bsb

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 9, 2024

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I have tried 6d a few times actually, always die in the third song though, haha. Still have a lot of trouble with scratching, particularly when you have to do notes at an offset to the scratches or when it's like a scale moving left into scratch (1p side).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Going back to Japan for 3 years in May. Fuckin hyyyyyyyyyype!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

taser rates posted:

I have tried 6d a few times actually, always die in the third song though, haha. Still have a lot of trouble with scratching, particularly when you have to do notes at an offset to the scratches or when it's like a scale moving left into scratch (1p side).

Practice pinky-scratching if you haven't yet; it's practically mandatory at higher levels. Takes a while but eventually scratching will become second nature. Just gotta grind it out.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

Practice pinky-scratching if you haven't yet; it's practically mandatory at higher levels. Takes a while but eventually scratching will become second nature. Just gotta grind it out.

I've been doing that since I moved up to 4s on my end, but I'm still a little confused as to how to pinky scratch for the larger scratch sequences. Always feels like I can't get the disk moving fast enough to do that :sigh:

Also for the long scratch holds where I just run out of pinky space. I wonder if I just need to be turning it way slower. All just practice at the end I guess

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Yep, I've always pinky scratched. Just need to focus more on those awkward places.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I've been doing that since I moved up to 4s on my end, but I'm still a little confused as to how to pinky scratch for the larger scratch sequences. Always feels like I can't get the disk moving fast enough to do that :sigh:

Also for the long scratch holds where I just run out of pinky space. I wonder if I just need to be turning it way slower. All just practice at the end I guess

You probably just need to learn the minimum scratching distance better and move your hand a bit more.

For backspins you want to use your whole hand to turn it, timing it so your hand ends up back in the right position for the end of the note. There's also a trick of using the scratch hand to keep it spinning with momentum so you don't have to move your hand away from its normal position.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

On the subject of 6th dan, I finally cleared this version... it felt much harder to me than Resident, though that could just be a skill issue. I know Hurry Hurry pretty well and found it easier to clear on Dan gauge than IXION. I haven't gotten either normal cleared, though.

The 10 wall is starting to crumble, I have 70 clears! It's really starting to make sense why people recommend really committing more to random around this level. God I love this fuckin game.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I do what others said and keep my hand rotating around with it, sometimes it can be tricky to time but it's great when you land it. シンデレラ SPH from Epolis has a bunch of these if you want the practice.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

it becomes a little more challenging to evaluate difficulty when you pass it, but in general since.. spada? resort anthem? they have been very progressively cranking up density and pushing the top end of each difficulty in songs and dans

so its probably note count increase

satfinal and kurokami (both in 6th dan) are pretty good practice 9s in that vein but like crank it and s-bahn reflect the inflation im talking about (both also great practice 9s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How can I play beat mania in 2023 if all I have is a MacBook and a steam deck?